Dedicated ARC Genesis thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 147Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 491 Old 05-31-2019, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
bigdogaxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Taking Measurements with ARC Genesis

ARC Genesis User Guide: Microphone Positioning https://www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesi...ne-positioning


This link also provides insight into Common Mistakes as well as Subwoofers with Built-In EQ
Legairre likes this.

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.

Last edited by bigdogaxis; 05-31-2019 at 12:33 PM.
bigdogaxis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 491 Old 05-31-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,735
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogaxis View Post
To date, complaints have been mostly with the new beta version. The ARC Genesis v1018867 seems to be stable.
FWIW, I emailed Anthem this week regarding an issue I had installing the software on a Mac. During those conversations, they recommended that I use the Beta rather than the current non-Beta release. YMMV.

#JB17
BGLeduc is online now  
post #63 of 491 Old 05-31-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
House Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I'm a house curves guy via REW and a miniDSP 2x4HD. I couldn't live without my house curve.
I would be interested in learning what the specifics of the house curve you prefer are.
WLC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 491 Old 05-31-2019, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Genesis stability

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogaxis View Post
To date, complaints have been mostly with the new beta version. The ARC Genesis v1018867 seems to be stable.
I've actually been using the beta version, windows, with no problems
WLC is offline  
post #65 of 491 Old 06-01-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desray2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,114
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Any Mac users unable to install Genesis? I previously installed 1.0 w/o issue, but I am currently unable to install either the current 1.0.1 release or the beta. I no longer have the 1.0 release files to see if the issue is the Mac or something with how the new install files are authored.

When I DC on the downloaded pkg file, I get the following:

“ARC Genesis v1.0.1.8867.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

I am running Mojave 10.14.5 which was recently updated. I suspect that the security settings were updated, but I have not found any similar posts via Google with users having issues with pkg files. I did report this to Anthem, but have not gotten a reply yet.

I had no such issues with the Windows installers.
I have no problem installing Genesis on my MacBook Pro running Mojave. Make sure you unpack first.
desray2k is offline  
post #66 of 491 Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,735
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
I have no problem installing Genesis on my MacBook Pro running Mojave. Make sure you unpack first.
There appears to be nothing to unpack, or I do just not know how to do it.

The download places a folder in the Mac "Downloads" folder, within which is a .txt file and a pkg file. Clicking the pkg throws the error.

In any event, I was able to download the Mac files to a PC, which is packed as a proper .zip. I can then unzip that on the Mac and the install from the pkg works from there.

#JB17
BGLeduc is online now  
post #67 of 491 Old 06-01-2019, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Good scene for evaluating house curve

I have found the first couple of minutes of the youtube video of Jurassic Park All t-rex scenes useful in evaluating my house curve for surround sound. There are the thud of the dinosaurs feet contrasted with his roar. In my system, without a tilt, the roar is unpleasant enough that I have to turn the volume down. With a -8 tilt starting at 500 hz, I can leave the volume on the AVM60 at -15.
I have also found Loreena Mckennitt's version of Annachie Gordon to be helpful in evaluating a tilt. Without the tilt, her voice sounds harsh, with it she sounds liquid and golden. To be fair, we always used this track to evaluate speakers and most, even those in the 30k region (not that we were going to buy those), did not sound pleasant to our ears. Before adding Dirac to our stereo, this track sounded good with our Aerial Acoustic 10ts, but after Dirac, we could enjoy listening at a louder volume. We never listen at more than a moderately loud level. Because the stereo is analogue, I don't really know what the volume level is.
With ARC2, I would add 10 dbs to our subs post calibration and then use the trim in the AVM60 to adjust the sub level based on the material. I could never find a PEQ setting in our SVS SB16 Ultras that we liked. With Genesis, we are very happy with leaving the sub level where Genesis sets it and only adjusting the Bass Boost. What an amazing difference.
I think I have been able to find a good house curve relatively quickly with Genesis because of all the work I've done previously learning about subwoofers and ARC2 and Dirac. Most of this knowledge has been acquired reading these forums. However, I'm sure I still have much to learn with Genesis and am eager to benefit from other people's preferences and tricks.
WLC is offline  
post #68 of 491 Old 06-01-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,590
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Any Mac users unable to install Genesis? I previously installed 1.0 w/o issue, but I am currently unable to install either the current 1.0.1 release or the beta. I no longer have the 1.0 release files to see if the issue is the Mac or something with how the new install files are authored.

When I DC on the downloaded pkg file, I get the following:

“ARC Genesis v1.0.1.8867.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

I am running Mojave 10.14.5 which was recently updated. I suspect that the security settings were updated, but I have not found any similar posts via Google with users having issues with pkg files. I did report this to Anthem, but have not gotten a reply yet.

I had no such issues with the Windows installers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
Same for me on my Mac.

No issues here on an older MBP running 10.13.6. I might be thinking of something else, but is this not a situation in which you need to go to system preferences - security - and click install anyway - or something like that? Anyway, doesn't sound like you need it at this point, but I've got the 1.0 zip file if you want it....
BGLeduc and BassMojo like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #69 of 491 Old 06-01-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,735
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
No issues here on an older MBP running 10.13.6. I might be thinking of something else, but is this not a situation in which you need to go to system preferences - security - and click install anyway - or something like that? Anyway, doesn't sound like you need it at this point, but I've got the 1.0 zip file if you want it....
No option to do so. You can control click and select “open with”, then chose the installer, but that still throws the same error.

There is one other user that posted with the same issue. But yes, I have a workaround, so all is well here. Great to be able to edit my curves on a 27” Retina iMac. :-)
Jonas2 likes this.

#JB17
BGLeduc is online now  
post #70 of 491 Old 06-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New to arc
Hi everyone i just recently purcahsed a mrx520 ,and room correction is a completley new and forign world to me.
Ive been reading alot of posts on the subject but most of it is way over my head at this point. My first arc test run with genesis beta version sounds pretty good and i had no issues uploading etc. I ran it in automatic mode to start Im very interested in getting the best sound arc can give me but im totally clueless on things like tilt, max eq settings room gain etc. As far as tweaking goes i have no idea where to start,
how each of the varios adjustmentss affect what im hearing such as things like hi frequency roll off ,max room correction, deep bass boost etc.
Can anyone reccomend any good articles that would give me a good base of knowledge to get me started thanks
kjonesversatech is offline  
post #71 of 491 Old 06-02-2019, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Welcome to Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjonesversatech View Post
New to arc
Hi everyone i just recently purcahsed a mrx520 ,and room correction is a completley new and forign world to me.
Ive been reading alot of posts on the subject but most of it is way over my head at this point. My first arc test run with genesis beta version sounds pretty good and i had no issues uploading etc. I ran it in automatic mode to start Im very interested in getting the best sound arc can give me but im totally clueless on things like tilt, max eq settings room gain etc. As far as tweaking goes i have no idea where to start,
how each of the varios adjustmentss affect what im hearing such as things like hi frequency roll off ,max room correction, deep bass boost etc.
Can anyone reccomend any good articles that would give me a good base of knowledge to get me started thanks
You are lucky to be starting your adventure with room correction with Genesis.
The following article is a good starting point.

/www.anthemarc.com/arc-genesis/advanced-settings/index.php

There are many knowledgeable and generous users on the forum and I'm sure they will be happy to help with specific questions.
Good luck.
WLC is offline  
post #72 of 491 Old 06-02-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,590
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
No option to do so. You can control click and select “open with”, then chose the installer, but that still throws the same error.

There is one other user that posted with the same issue. But yes, I have a workaround, so all is well here. Great to be able to edit my curves on a 27” Retina iMac. :-)

Huh, I'll have to try this on one of my work machines running Mojave just to see what happens. I'll bet, that 27" retina looks awesome! I've got a 27" on my desk at work, but it's older, non-Retina - but man, 27". It's hard to use anything smaller for a lot of things!
BGLeduc likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #73 of 491 Old 06-02-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,735
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Huh, I'll have to try this on one of my work machines running Mojave just to see what happens. I'll bet, that 27" retina looks awesome! I've got a 27" on my desk at work, but it's older, non-Retina - but man, 27". It's hard to use anything smaller for a lot of things!
Everything at a glance is pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Genesis.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	502.1 KB
ID:	2574920  

#JB17
BGLeduc is online now  
post #74 of 491 Old 06-02-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,735
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Huh, I'll have to try this on one of my work machines running Mojave just to see what happens. I'll bet, that 27" retina looks awesome! I've got a 27" on my desk at work, but it's older, non-Retina - but man, 27". It's hard to use anything smaller for a lot of things!
I played with it a bit more. Still unable to install directly, but it appears that DC'ing on the file from the Anthem download page automatically downloads and unzips the file, giving me the txt and pkg.

I then tried right clicking on the download icon from the download page, and did a "download linked file. Using the method, it then downloaded a .zip file and did not automatically extract. But, once I unzipped that, I got the same result...unable to install from the "pkg".
Jonas2 likes this.

#JB17
BGLeduc is online now  
post #75 of 491 Old 06-03-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
One last try

Doesn't really appear that this thread is catching on. However, for sure won't if keeps disappearing on first page. I have no idea how to make a thread sticky, or even if there is enough interest to justify doing so.
Any other opinions?
WLC is offline  
post #76 of 491 Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,590
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
Doesn't really appear that this thread is catching on. However, for sure won't if keeps disappearing on first page. I have no idea how to make a thread sticky, or even if there is enough interest to justify doing so.
Any other opinions?

Administrator might have to make it a sticky? Dunno, but I'd support that! Not sure what criteria are required for that though....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #77 of 491 Old 06-03-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,814
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
Doesn't really appear that this thread is catching on. However, for sure won't if keeps disappearing on first page. I have no idea how to make a thread sticky, or even if there is enough interest to justify doing so.
Any other opinions?

Administrator might have to make it a sticky? Dunno, but I'd support that! Not sure what criteria are required for that though....
There's one for Audessey. Never understood why their isn't one for ARC.
mbroadus likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #78 of 491 Old 06-03-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Count me in I'd support making it a sticky too. Not sure what the criteria is but the thread is approaching 100 post.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #79 of 491 Old 06-03-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
I would be interested in learning what the specifics of the house curve you prefer are.
What I like about having a house curve is that if I start my house curve to gradually rise starting around 45Hz all the way down to 15Hz my dual HsuVTF-15H subs really give a gut punch in the 30 -45 range but as you get into the lower 20s and teens you can feel the air move your pants legs on certain movies. Immediately after a scene in a movie with low bass ends if you have the volume set to around -22 you can feel a rush of cool air hit you like someone turned on the A/C except it’s coming directly at you from the front of the room where the subs are. The only other time I’ve ever felt the air moving from the subs was in a Dolby Cinema watching Avengers Endgame

The other thing I like about having a house curve is that my dedicated theater is sealed and in the basement so it’s carpet over concrete but on that really low stuff the ultra-low frequencies are so strong the room just pressurizes to the point you’d swear there were bass shakers in the sofa and you can just feel the pressure with the door closed.

Without a house curve none of the things I just described exist in my room. By comparison the room is just dead and boring without the house curve.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 06-03-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Legairre is offline  
post #80 of 491 Old 06-03-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Genesis house curve VS miniDSP 2x4HD house curve

Hey guys I've been trying to figure out why I love the house curve with my miniDSP 2x4 HD so much more than using a house curve with Genesis with the Deep Bass Boost combined with the Deep Bass Boost Frequency. I really want to get rid of the miniDSP 2x4 HD and just use Genesis for my house curve. The house curve through Genesis and the miniDSP 2x4 HD achieve the same seat of the pants feeling, but the sound is different. The house curve with the miniDSP sounds so much cleaner and the bass is clearer and uncluttered compared to using Genesis for a house curve. I’ve been trying to figure out why the Genesis house feels the same as the miniDSP house curve but just doesn’t sound nearly as good.

Well just by luck while I was typing up the steps on how to build a house curve in Genesis for a fellow AVS-er I noticed something while going through the steps in Genesis. I noticed in Genesis as I increased the Deep Bass Boost that it not only increases the bass for the sub it also increases the bass for EVERY single speaker in your system so you get a house curve built on every speaker in your system not just the sub. If you set the Deep Bass Boost Frequency to say 50Hz and the Deep Bass Boost to 6dB every speaker gets a house curve from 50Hz downward. Just try it and look at the low end of all your speakers get a house curve.

With the miniDSP house curve it’s only effecting the sub but in Genesis every speaker is getting a house curve so that’s why the Genesis house curve sounds different than the miniDSP house curve. To me the Genies house curve just sounds muddied compared to the the miniDSP house curve but at least now I know why I have to keep my miniDSP.. I want a house curve on my sub not all my speakers.


Also since the Deep Bass Boost and Deep Bass Boost Frequency are on the "System Wide Target" screen for each profile I should have known these settings would effect all speakers not just the sub.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 06-03-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Legairre is offline  
post #81 of 491 Old 06-03-2019, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Making ARC Genesis a sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Administrator might have to make it a sticky? Dunno, but I'd support that! Not sure what criteria are required for that though....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
There's one for Audessey. Never understood why their isn't one for ARC.
I also have not understood the apparent support for Audyssey versus ARC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Count me in I'd support making it a sticky too. Not sure what the criteria is but the thread is approaching 100 post.
So there are 4 of us. What do we do now? Anybody know?
WLC is offline  
post #82 of 491 Old 06-03-2019, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
House Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
What I like about having a house curve is that if I start my house curve to gradually rise starting around 45Hz all the way down to 15Hz my dual HsuVTF-15H subs really give a gut punch in the 30 -45 range but as you get into the lower 20s and teens you can feel the air move your pants legs on certain movies. Immediately after a scene in a movie with low bass ends if you have the volume set to around -22 you can feel a rush of cool air hit you like someone turned on the A/C except it’s coming directly at you from the front of the room where the subs are. The only other time I’ve ever felt the air moving from the subs was in a Dolby Cinema watching Avengers Endgame

The other thing I like about having a house curve is that my dedicated theater is sealed and in the basement so it’s carpet over concrete but on that really low stuff the ultra-low frequencies are so strong the room just pressurizes to the point you’d swear there were bass shakers in the sofa and you can just feel the pressure with the door closed.

Without a house curve none of the things I just described exist in my room. By comparison the room is just dead and boring without the house curve.
The are two major advantages for me with a house curve. The first is the greatly improved bass. I don't have ported subs and don't have a sealed room. However, the sub boost of 6 makes a significant difference.
The second advantage has to do with treble. With a tilt of -8 starting at 500hz, I can set the volume at -12 instead of -15 without any harsh or unpleasant tones. I'm probably playing louder than you because of a large, unsealed room. My home theater is also carpet over concrete, so with sealed subs we don't get that rumble or the rush of cool air. However, the bass boost still has a significant effect.
Thanks for sharing your impressions.
WLC is offline  
post #83 of 491 Old 06-03-2019, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Hey guys I've been trying to figure out why I love the house curve with my miniDSP 2x4 HD so much more than using a house curve with Genesis with the Deep Bass Boost combined with the Deep Bass Boost Frequency. I really want to get rid of the miniDSP 2x4 HD and just use Genesis for my house curve. The house curve through Genesis and the miniDSP 2x4 HD achieve the same seat of the pants feeling, but the sound is different. The house curve with the miniDSP sounds so much cleaner and the bass is clearer and uncluttered compared to using Genesis for a house curve. I’ve been trying to figure out why the Genesis house feels the same as the miniDSP house curve but just doesn’t sound nearly as good.

Well just by luck while I was typing up the steps on how to build a house curve in Genesis for a fellow AVS-er I noticed something while going through the steps in Genesis. I noticed in Genesis as I increased the Deep Bass Boost that it not only increases the bass for the sub it also increases the bass for EVERY single speaker in your system so you get a house curve built on every speaker in your system not just the sub. If you set the Deep Bass Boost Frequency to say 50Hz and the Deep Bass Boost to 6dB every speaker gets a house curve from 50Hz downward. Just try it and look at the low end of all your speakers get a house curve.

With the miniDSP house curve it’s only effecting the sub but in Genesis every speaker is getting a house curve so that’s why the Genesis house curve sounds different than the miniDSP house curve. To me the Genies house curve just sounds muddied compared to the the miniDSP house curve but at least now I know why I have to keep my miniDSP.. I want a house curve on my sub not all my speakers.


Also since the Deep Bass Boost and Deep Bass Boost Frequency are on the "System Wide Target" screen for each profile I should have known these settings would effect all speakers not just the sub.
I know you are knowledgeable, so I don't really understand why you are having this effect with the Bass Boost in Genesis if you are using crossovers. My 7 speakers are all crossed at 80hz. Therefore, the entire Bass Boost, which for me starts at 40hz, can only be sent to the subs.

Is there something I'm not understanding?

The advantage of a house curve for my 2.2 stereo using a minidsp with dirac is that I can precisely pinpoint the curve. For example, I have 22 hz raised 6db, 200hz lowered to -4db and 16000hz lowered an additional -4. I can't be quite this precise with Genesis. However, with a Bass Boost of -6 starting at 40hz and a tilt of +8 starting at 500hz, it sounds very good.
WLC is offline  
post #84 of 491 Old 06-04-2019, 04:09 AM
Member
 
Bittermidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
I also have not understood the apparent support for Audyssey versus ARC.



So there are 4 of us. What do we do now? Anybody know?
Make that 5 in support!

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
Bittermidget is offline  
post #85 of 491 Old 06-04-2019, 05:27 AM
Member
 
simpjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to genesis and don't understand the house curve term. Can anyone explain it and what settings to use?
simpjr is offline  
post #86 of 491 Old 06-04-2019, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Administrator might have to make it a sticky? Dunno, but I'd support that! Not sure what criteria are required for that though....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
There's one for Audessey. Never understood why their isn't one for ARC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Count me in I'd support making it a sticky too. Not sure what the criteria is but the thread is approaching 100 post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittermidget View Post
Make that 5 in support!
I've sent an e-mail to the administrator asking about making this thread a sticky.
Jonas2 likes this.
WLC is offline  
post #87 of 491 Old 06-04-2019, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 132
What is a house curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpjr View Post
I'm new to genesis and don't understand the house curve term. Can anyone explain it and what settings to use?
"In the most general sense, a house curve is an EQ setting to make your speakers sound better in your room." Kerry Ames

This is most often accomplished by increasing bass as you get to lower hz, i.e. Bass Boost and Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency and decreasing dbs as you go higher in hz, ie. tilt and tilt frequency.

If you use Genesis in professional mode, you can make changes and see what the resulting curves look like and then close the program without saving the changes if you don't want to hear what the changes actually sound like. This was the method I used to experiment and learn the program before uploading the 4 profiles I now prefer.
WLC is offline  
post #88 of 491 Old 06-04-2019, 06:06 AM
Member
 
simpjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thx much!
simpjr is offline  
post #89 of 491 Old 06-04-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
I know you are knowledgeable, so I don't really understand why you are having this effect with the Bass Boost in Genesis if you are using crossovers. My 7 speakers are all crossed at 80hz. Therefore, the entire Bass Boost, which for me starts at 40hz, can only be sent to the subs.

Is there something I'm not understanding?

The advantage of a house curve for my 2.2 stereo using a minidsp with dirac is that I can precisely pinpoint the curve. For example, I have 22 hz raised 6db, 200hz lowered to -4db and 16000hz lowered an additional -4. I can't be quite this precise with Genesis. However, with a Bass Boost of -6 starting at 40hz and a tilt of +8 starting at 500hz, it sounds very good.
Yeah I'm not sure why the deep bass boost doesn't sound as good as just using the miniDSP. The only thing I can attribute it to is it adding a house curve to all the speakers vs the miniDSP just adding a house curve of the sub. Even though all my speakers are crossed over where Genesis set them at 80 Hz (110 for the center).

Just like how room gain is a system wide setting and raises the bass of not just the sub but all the speakers, the deep bass boost is doing the same thing except where room gain is a bump (at the default setting) at 200 Hz the deep bass boost effects a very wide range say from 45 Hz to 15Hz (if the frequency is set at 45) and it doesn’t just effect the mains but all the speaker graphs show they are increased to have a house curve from the boost frequency downward. By right even though they are crossed over at say 80 Hz all the speakers would be sending more bass to the sub if there bass was increased like the graphs show. So we would be getting LFE + more bass from all the other speakers to the sub.

I would have never noticed any difference and would have probably thought it sounded great but by comparison to just the miniDSP adding a house curve to just the sub alone the deep bass boost sounds bloated and muddied but only at high volume and low frequencies. At normal levels I can’t tell the difference. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with the deep bass boost it seems to work exactly as Anthem designed and intended it to work. It’s just that in my system when compared to the miniDSP it doesn’t sounds nearly as good for a house curve.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #90 of 491 Old 06-04-2019, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,590
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
I've sent an e-mail to the administrator asking about making this thread a sticky.

Thanks! Do keep us posted!

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc genesis , genesis

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off