Dedicated ARC Genesis thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 201Likes

post #91 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Yeah I'm not sure why the deep bass boost doesn't sound as good as just using the miniDSP. The only thing I can attribute it to is it adding a house curve to all the speakers vs the miniDSP just adding a house curve of the sub. Even though all my speakers are crossed over where Genesis set them at 80 Hz (110 for the center).

Just like how room gain is a system wide setting and raises the bass of not just the sub but all the speakers, the deep bass boost is doing the same thing except where room gain is a bump (at the default setting) at 200 Hz the deep bass boost effects a very wide range say from 45 Hz to 15Hz (if the frequency is set at 45) and it doesn’t just effect the mains but all the speaker graphs show they are increased to have a house curve from the boost frequency downward. By right even though they are crossed over at say 80 Hz all the speakers would be sending more bass to the sub if there bass was increased like the graphs show. So we would be getting LFE + more bass from all the other speakers to the sub.

I would have never noticed any difference and would have probably thought it sounded great but by comparison to just the miniDSP adding a house curve to just the sub alone the deep bass boost sounds bloated and muddied but only at high volume and low frequencies. At normal levels I can’t tell the difference. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with the deep bass boost it seems to work exactly as Anthem designed and intended it to work. It’s just that in my system when compared to the miniDSP it doesn’t sounds nearly as good for a house curve.
I wonder if playing with the Low Frequency Extension setting might get you better results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
I wonder if playing with the Low Frequency Extension setting might get you better results?
I could try it but my subs are capable of 15Hz extension and REW shows that in my 13x24 sealed theater they play down to around 13Hz before dropping off substantially. I'd hate to limit their performance by raising the low frequency extension because I get so much ultra low bass below 20 Hz that it gives a big tactile feeling and pressurizes the room. I'll just continue to use the miniDSP and it's sub only house curve. I just wanted to be able to remove the miniDSP from the signal path to have one less thing in my system. I really don't see anything wrong with the deep bass boost. It's just something that doesn't sound right in my system at deep bass and high volume.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #93 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Hey guys I've been trying to figure out why I love the house curve with my miniDSP 2x4 HD so much more than using a house curve with Genesis with the Deep Bass Boost combined with the Deep Bass Boost Frequency. I really want to get rid of the miniDSP 2x4 HD and just use Genesis for my house curve. The house curve through Genesis and the miniDSP 2x4 HD achieve the same seat of the pants feeling, but the sound is different. The house curve with the miniDSP sounds so much cleaner and the bass is clearer and uncluttered compared to using Genesis for a house curve. I’ve been trying to figure out why the Genesis house feels the same as the miniDSP house curve but just doesn’t sound nearly as good.

Well just by luck while I was typing up the steps on how to build a house curve in Genesis for a fellow AVS-er I noticed something while going through the steps in Genesis. I noticed in Genesis as I increased the Deep Bass Boost that it not only increases the bass for the sub it also increases the bass for EVERY single speaker in your system so you get a house curve built on every speaker in your system not just the sub. If you set the Deep Bass Boost Frequency to say 50Hz and the Deep Bass Boost to 6dB every speaker gets a house curve from 50Hz downward. Just try it and look at the low end of all your speakers get a house curve.

With the miniDSP house curve it’s only effecting the sub but in Genesis every speaker is getting a house curve so that’s why the Genesis house curve sounds different than the miniDSP house curve. To me the Genies house curve just sounds muddied compared to the the miniDSP house curve but at least now I know why I have to keep my miniDSP.. I want a house curve on my sub not all my speakers.

Also since the Deep Bass Boost and Deep Bass Boost Frequency are on the "System Wide Target" screen for each profile I should have known these settings would effect all speakers not just the sub.

Great information here. I havnt installed Genesis yet on my MRX510 but recently bought a 2X4HD and was starting to wonder if I actually needed it which the advancements I am seeing with the new RC. As I want to try BEQ, I was thinking I would still use the Mini DSP but this info helps before I make the plunge.

You and @WLC seem to be talking about my next observation which is why Deep Base might change the other speakers when those speakers are crossed at 80hz or higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Thanks! Do keep us posted!
Here's the response:

Hello,

For threads not created by staff, we typically only stick threads that have maintained a long history of regular informative posts in excess of 1000.

Many complain that there are already too many threads stuck to the top.

Thank You
post #95 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
Here's the response:

Hello,

For threads not created by staff, we typically only stick threads that have maintained a long history of regular informative posts in excess of 1000.

Thank You
Just to keep this informative, why doesn't Genesis measure phase information for the AVM-60? Genesis has the capability, the AVM-60 just isn't supported and I wonder why not?
post #96 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Low frequency extension

Quote:
I could try it but my subs are capable of 15Hz extension and REW shows that in my 13x24 sealed theater they play down to around 13Hz before dropping off substantially. I'd hate to limit their performance by raising the low frequency extension because I get so much ultra low bass below 20 Hz that it gives a big tactile feeling and pressurizes the room. I'll just continue to use the miniDSP and it's sub only house curve. I just wanted to be able to remove the miniDSP from the signal path to have one less thing in my system. I really don't see anything wrong with the deep bass boost. It's just something that doesn't sound right in my system at deep bass and high volume.
I'm with you. REW shows my subs rising 3 db from 20 down to 10hz. No way I'd be interested in giving that up.
gbreda likes this.
post #97 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm with you. REW shows my subs rising 3 db from 20 down to 10hz. No way I'd be interested in giving that up.
Yeah the low stuff is too good to give up.
gbreda likes this.

post #98 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Here's the response:

Hello,

Thank You

Well, that sucks. Maybe we'll get there one day. We're almost 10% there for that 1000 posts.... People complain that there are too may already stuck to the top? There are only 6 in this sub-forum. Heck, I'd ditch that Pioneer one for this one. Funny what people complain about....

Thanks for your efforts though!
mbroadus likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #99 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Hey I really want to thank all you guys for starting this thread and all the great information that can be found here.
I ran Genesis when it first came out and wound up going back to my ARC2 setting. It was because of my lack of knowledge with the new ARC.

Well I've been lurking on here, reading and learning... today I took the plunge with Genesis and I'm glad I did..!

My theater sounds fantastic now!!!

Thanks guys.
Keep up the hard work.
desray2k and Jonas2 like this.

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Triad Gold, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-1 Rythmik FV25HP & 4 HSU VTF-MK5-HP, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #100 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
WLC

Alternate Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Well, that sucks. Maybe we'll get there one day. We're almost 10% there for that 1000 posts.... People complain that there are too may already stuck to the top? There are only 6 in this sub-forum. Heck, I'd ditch that Pioneer one for this one. Funny what people complain about....

Thanks for your efforts though!
Thanks for the kind words. Maybe everyone who wants this thread to succeed should add "Dedicated Arc Genesis Thread" to their signatures. That way, whenever one of us posts on another Anthem thread about Genesis, we will be advertising this thread.

Just a thought.
Legairre, mbroadus and WOKNROX like this.
post #101 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
WLC

Difference between miniDSP and Genesis House Curves

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure why the deep bass boost doesn't sound as good as just using the miniDSP. The only thing I can attribute it to is it adding a house curve to all the speakers vs the miniDSP just adding a house curve of the sub. Even though all my speakers are crossed over where Genesis set them at 80 Hz (110 for the center).

Just like how room gain is a system wide setting and raises the bass of not just the sub but all the speakers, the deep bass boost is doing the same thing except where room gain is a bump (at the default setting) at 200 Hz the deep bass boost effects a very wide range say from 45 Hz to 15Hz (if the frequency is set at 45) and it doesn’t just effect the mains but all the speaker graphs show they are increased to have a house curve from the boost frequency downward. By right even though they are crossed over at say 80 Hz all the speakers would be sending more bass to the sub if there bass was increased like the graphs show. So we would be getting LFE + more bass from all the other speakers to the sub.

I would have never noticed any difference and would have probably thought it sounded great but by comparison to just the miniDSP adding a house curve to just the sub alone the deep bass boost sounds bloated and muddied but only at high volume and low frequencies. At normal levels I can’t tell the difference. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with the deep bass boost it seems to work exactly as Anthem designed and intended it to work. It’s just that in my system when compared to the miniDSP it doesn’t sounds nearly as good for a house curve.
I'm sure you are hearing what you think you are. Since I don't have a miniDSP in my home theater I have no method to test whether I would hear a difference in my system. Perhaps in this case, ignorance is bliss.
post #102 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 789
Please allow me to bask and wallow in the pure glory that is this thread .................................................. .................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................

Thank you.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #103 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

After a lot of arduous A/B testing by loading the Genesis vs the Genesis beta files, I find that I prefer the first Genesis still (after the first update.) Hard to put words as to why.

And I've fiddled around with the boost and tilt on others' suggestions. Don't like it so far. Too hit and miss with scenes. I like the overall balance of the initial settings with those.

Much to tinker with as Genesis is refined.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #104 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
After a lot of arduous A/B testing by loading the Genesis vs the Genesis beta files, I find that I prefer the first Genesis still (after the first update.) Hard to put words as to why.

And I've fiddled around with the boost and tilt on others' suggestions. Don't like it so far. Too hit and miss with scenes. I like the overall balance of the initial settings with those.

Much to tinker with as Genesis is refined.
I agreed with you that I prefer the Genesis (stable release) w/o playing with the deep bass boost. It truly is a hitter miss.
post #105 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Any Mac users unable to install Genesis? I previously installed 1.0 w/o issue, but I am currently unable to install either the current 1.0.1 release or the beta. I no longer have the 1.0 release files to see if the issue is the Mac or something with how the new install files are authored.

When I DC on the downloaded pkg file, I get the following:

“ARC Genesis v1.0.1.8867.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

I am running Mojave 10.14.5 which was recently updated. I suspect that the security settings were updated, but I have not found any similar posts via Google with users having issues with pkg files. I did report this to Anthem, but have not gotten a reply yet.

I had no such issues with the Windows installers.
If you have a Mac press and hold "control" key, then open the downloaded package. After that select install and you should be good.
post #106 of 716 Old 06-04-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 369
I was fully expecting to take advantage of the professional version so that I could run my subs a tad hot in the low end...but Genesis did such an incredible job with just the auto mode, I don't really feel like messing with it. What it did for the low end response in this room is shocking. The bass is so much more present and visceral, something I wasn't sure I'd be able to achieve in a smaller room like this.

I was watching First Man the other day, and some of those scenes made me feel like my room was the actual space capsule. The last thing I wanted to do was drop this sort of money on an Anthem 720, but once I decided to go with Atmos, it was really the only choice for me. I did not want to be w/out Anthem given how much it helped when I had a 520. Love this software.

BTW, if I go into the pro mode at some point, am I able to treat it like a buffet and only adjust a couple areas of interest? Or do I have to be proficient in all sorts of other areas and make full adjustments? I'm hesitant to use it, not only because auto sounds amazing, but also because I'd be afraid I'd mess up a setting that I didn't have proper understanding of, without realizing it.

Thanks!

PS. After reading through the advanced settings manual for Genesis, it appears that Anthem recommends that the best way to enhance the low end response is STILL via the room gain (dB) adjustment. It says this will enhance the low end response "below 150-300hz". Can one reasonably assume that means it will enhance the extension down into the lower regions (e.g. 20-60hz) within the sub's abilities? And do you guys agree that the room gain is the best way to run the subs a tad hot w/out sacrificing blend?

Last edited by Summa; 06-04-2019 at 10:54 PM.
post #107 of 716 Old 06-05-2019, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

What would make this thread much more useful would be to keep the initial post chock full of "Pearls of Wisdom" so that newcomers don't have to read through pages of banter to find answers. That's always been my complaint with all the sticky threads and leads to the same questions being asked repeatedly throughout the life of the thread. I know this is a lot to ask but maybe WLC can continue to edit the op and keep this thread up to date and useful and new people find it.
Bill-99 likes this.
post #108 of 716 Old 06-05-2019, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Room Gain vs Bass Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I was fully expecting to take advantage of the professional version so that I could run my subs a tad hot in the low end...but Genesis did such an incredible job with just the auto mode, I don't really feel like messing with it. What it did for the low end response in this room is shocking. The bass is so much more present and visceral, something I wasn't sure I'd be able to achieve in a smaller room like this.

I was watching First Man the other day, and some of those scenes made me feel like my room was the actual space capsule. The last thing I wanted to do was drop this sort of money on an Anthem 720, but once I decided to go with Atmos, it was really the only choice for me. I did not want to be w/out Anthem given how much it helped when I had a 520. Love this software.

BTW, if I go into the pro mode at some point, am I able to treat it like a buffet and only adjust a couple areas of interest? Or do I have to be proficient in all sorts of other areas and make full adjustments? I'm hesitant to use it, not only because auto sounds amazing, but also because I'd be afraid I'd mess up a setting that I didn't have proper understanding of, without realizing it.

Thanks!

PS. After reading through the advanced settings manual for Genesis, it appears that Anthem recommends that the best way to enhance the low end response is STILL via the room gain (dB) adjustment. It says this will enhance the low end response "below 150-300hz". Can one reasonably assume that means it will enhance the extension down into the lower regions (e.g. 20-60hz) within the sub's abilities? And do you guys agree that the room gain is the best way to run the subs a tad hot w/out sacrificing blend?
Who am I to disagree with Anthem? After that disclaimer, I strongly feel that the bass boost is preferable, at least in my system, to room gain. I boost the maximum below 40 hz. This change enhances the already beautifully textured bass without effecting dialogue. With ARC2, I would add volume to my 4 subs to get the effect we prefer. After Genesis, the Bass Boost is all we need for the bass adjustment and the effect is much cleaner.
Summa likes this.
post #109 of 716 Old 06-05-2019, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

Thanks!

If you like what you have now, just save that ARC file with a clear name. If you only did one profile, and that's the one you like. In Pro mode, just enable profiles 2-4 and those can act as your trial profiles where you can change whatever you want and do a direct A/B/C/D comparison as you listen to material. While listening, I generally go into Setup/Input Setup/Input XXX/and under Speaker Profile, you can hit enter and just change between profiles 1-4 on the fly with only a brief delay in between switches.

When I first started using ARC, I found the best way to try comparing changes was to just focus on changing one setting at a time in each of the four profiles (for instance room gain at 3, 2, 1 and 0. This might help give you a better idea of how that setting impacts the sound. Then maybe play with something else like maximum EQ frequency and try standard 5 kHz on profile 1, 20kHz, 1kHz, and 500Hz for example for your other 3 profiles. You'll start to really hear the large differences these settings can make.
Summa likes this.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
post #110 of 716 Old 06-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks!

Note that you can always go back to the intial measurement and just revert all tinkering. So you can't really mess up anything. It really allows you to try out a lot of things without fearing to lose the initial settings.
Summa and gbreda like this.
post #111 of 716 Old 06-05-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
What would make this thread much more useful would be to keep the initial post chock full of "Pearls of Wisdom" so that newcomers don't have to read through pages of banter to find answers. That's always been my complaint with all the sticky threads and leads to the same questions being asked repeatedly throughout the life of the thread. I know this is a lot to ask but maybe WLC can continue to edit the op and keep this thread up to date and useful and new people find it.
What happened? Wasn't this a sticky earlier today?

post #112 of 716 Old 06-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 333
No...just that the thread is getting blown up with lots of love for the new Genesis...lol

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Triad Gold, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-1 Rythmik FV25HP & 4 HSU VTF-MK5-HP, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #113 of 716 Old 06-05-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Thanks so much, WLC, BitterMidget and Rico...much appreciated!

You all have been invaluable for me with this stuff...can't wait to hop into the pro mode this weekend. Now I need to get my buddy with a dedicated theater and two layers of seating to join in over here. He is extremely busy and I know he wants to dial in the best measurements for his theater, so this forum will be a great resource for him, as well.

Thanks again
post #114 of 716 Old 06-05-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

OK so I got a reply from Anthem on the Deep Bass Boost and crossovers. I left title of the person from Anthem that responded, but I removed their name in case they don't want their name quoted on the forum
Quote:
Hello,

The deep bass boost is adjusting your EQ target by raising the db level desired for certain frequencies.

Speaker crossovers are not a brick wall where they don't play 79 hz, but do play 80 hz. There is a roll off where it will play frequencies below 80 hz just at a lower level. This level is summed with the level of the sub to achieve the desired target level.

​The only effect this setting has on your speakers is that it will increase low end frequencies to achieve the desired target curve. The crossovers will still be applied, but the frequencies that overlap with the sub may be a little louder as you have increased the desired target level for these frequencies.

Technical Advisor | Paradigm/Anthem Support Team
Summa and gbreda like this.

post #115 of 716 Old 06-05-2019, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
WLC

I still don't understand

Quote:
OK so I got a reply from Anthem on the Deep Bass Boost and crossovers. I left title of the person from Anthem that responded, but I removed their name in case they don't want their name quoted on the forum
So, if I have a crossover of 80hz and a slope of 12, then at 40hz my speakers will be down by 12dbs. My speakers will be down another 12dbs by 20hz? So, a bass boost starting at 40hz will raise the level of the speakers from 40 to 20hz? Am I understanding this correctly?

If so, a slope of 24 would be better, but I don't see anywhere in Genesis to make that choice, since it is either that or send bass to sub.

Again, anything I'm not understanding?
post #116 of 716 Old 06-05-2019, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, if I have a crossover of 80hz and a slope of 12, then at 40hz my speakers will be down by 12dbs. My speakers will be down another 12dbs by 20hz? So, a bass boost starting at 40hz will raise the level of the speakers from 40 to 20hz? Am I understanding this correctly?

If so, a slope of 24 would be better, but I don't see anywhere in Genesis to make that choice, since it is either that or send bass to sub.

Again, anything I'm not understanding?
I had asked Anthem how the bass boost works when there are crossovers applied to the speakers because the graphs show all the speakers are getting the house curve and not just the sub. He was just confirming that the bass boost does increase the level like we see in the graphs so it effects all speakers not just the sub even if a crossover is applied.

When you think about it, it makes sense they apply bass boost this way because that's how they apply room gain. For instance if you have room gain set to 3dB at 200Hz and you have surrounds crossed at 250Hz those surrounds still get the 3dB room gain bump even though their crossover is higher than the room gain frequency.

Bass boost works the same way where if you have crossovers at 80Hz and bass boost set from 50Hz -15Hz your crossovers still work but in the bass boost range you get an increase in decibels where without bass boost you would get the typical crossover roll off.

Bass boost is just room gain for a wide frequency range like 50Hz-20hz where room gain is just for a specific frequency like 200 Hz. That's why both increase the bass to all speakers not just the sub.

Last edited by Legairre; 06-05-2019 at 08:23 PM.
post #117 of 716 Old 06-06-2019, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Room Gain

Quote:
I had asked Anthem how the bass boost works when there are crossovers applied to the speakers because the graphs show all the speakers are getting the house curve and not just the sub. He was just confirming that the bass boost does increase the level like we see in the graphs so it effects all speakers not just the sub even if a crossover is applied.

When you think about it, it makes sense they apply bass boost this way because that's how they apply room gain. For instance if you have room gain set to 3dB at 200Hz and you have surrounds crossed at 250Hz those surrounds still get the 3dB room gain bump even though their crossover is higher than the room gain frequency.

Bass boost works the same way where if you have crossovers at 80Hz and bass boost set from 50Hz -15Hz your crossovers still work but in the bass boost range you get an increase in decibels where without bass boost you would get the typical crossover roll off.

Bass boost is just room gain for a wide frequency range like 50Hz-20hz where room gain is just for a specific frequency like 200 Hz. That's why both increase the bass to all speakers not just the sub.
Is Anthem using Room Gain differently than in the usual sense? I thought Room Gain is:
"When the wavelength is greater than the room dimensions, you get a uniform pressurization of the room. You get more gain as frequency decreases.
It typically reinforces ultra low end bass frequencies (below 40hz)"
My understanding is that with my 4 sealed subs in a large room, I am getting 3 dbs of room gain from 20hz down to 10hz. Maybe continuing even below that, but that's all the REW measurement I have.
post #118 of 716 Old 06-06-2019, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:

Ok I can understand what Anthem Support is describing. But is that the best way to do it? Personally I think it should only affect the sub rather than both mains (speakers) and sub as well.

Don’t you agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #119 of 716 Old 06-06-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is Anthem using Room Gain differently than in the usual sense? I thought Room Gain is:
"When the wavelength is greater than the room dimensions, you get a uniform pressurization of the room. You get more gain as frequency decreases.
It typically reinforces ultra low end bass frequencies (below 40hz)"
My understanding is that with my 4 sealed subs in a large room, I am getting 3 dbs of room gain from 20hz down to 10hz. Maybe continuing even below that, but that's all the REW measurement I have.
Sorry WLC I was just describing how room gain when set on the system wide screen it is set for a specific frequency while the bass boost is set for a range of frequencies.

RC is definitely effecting the RC Center Frequency (say 200) as well as other frequencies but it's not just 40Hz or below. For instance change RG from 0 to 6 and watch the graphs go up and down as you move the slider. You'll see a big change at the RC Center Frequency (typically 200) but like when we EQ with any PEQ a change at a specific frequency will also cause that frequency and other frequencies to change as well.

post #120 of 716 Old 06-06-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Ok I can understand what Anthem Support is describing. But is that the best way to do it? Personally I think it should only affect the sub rather than both mains (speakers) and sub as well.

Don’t you agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah I agree. Me myself I would have preferred to have the option of a system wide bass boost that effected all speakers like the Deep Bass Boost and a separate bass boost that only effected the sub. A simple check box on the system wide screen could be used for Deep Bass Boost "Sub or system wide".

I'm just whining because I wanted to get rid of the miniDSP but can't as long as the bass boost effects all speakers
Bittermidget and gbreda like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc genesis , genesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page