Dedicated ARC Genesis thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 201Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Bass Boost and Subwoofer Types

As I think about different opinions concerning Bass Boost, in addition to different rooms and ears, I think it might be related to what type of subwoofers you have.
My understanding that the following is the difference in volume between SVS SB16Ultras and PB16Ultras:
Hz PB is how much louder
40 1.5 3db
32 2 6db
25 3 9db
10-20 4 12db
(Sorry the chart is so poorly laid out, the best AVS would allow)

I had two high quality ported subwoofers for many years. Always had to be careful with their volumes to avoid rumbling and vibrations in the room. I know many people prefer ported. However, when one of my subs broke, I used the occasion to change to 4 sealed subs. I much prefer the characteristics of sealed. But the above differences in volume at lower levels might explain why I am so happy with Bass Boost of 6 below 40 and, perhaps, those with ported subs not so much. I am actually replacing some of the volume difference between ported and sealed below 40hz. If you add in the additional Room Gain of 3, that sealed subs theoretically provide better than ported, that REW tells me I'm getting below 20hz and add that to the Bass Boost, I am, theoretically, approaching the volume of ported subs below 40hz. But, without the rumble and no vibrations. I don't want to debate which type of sub is better. I know what I prefer, but I have no opinion as to what someone else might prefer. I'm only raising this issue as a possible explanation for our differing opinions.
I also recognize I'm not addressing the observation that raising the Bass Boost raises the bass in speakers other than subs. That is either not my experience or my ears aren't good enough to discern the difference. I play my AVM60 at between -15 and -12 and there is plenty of bass, so a difference in how we're playing our systems probably doesn't explain the varying experiences.
Sorry for being so wordy, just hope this contributes to our understanding of how Genesis works and interacts with different configurations.
WLC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,710
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
I was wondering the same thing a few days ago when you had said you had sealed subs and I have ported. The ported subs do give a lot of that tactile feeling and effect the room a lot so you're probably right because there's definitely a difference in sound between ported and sealed subs.

You had said that you don't hear that the bass boost is effecting all speakers but do you see that it changes all the speakers in the graphs when you move the slider?

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 06-06-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Legairre is online now  
post #123 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Bass Boost effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I was wondering the same thing a few days ago when you had said you had sealed subs and I have ported. The ported subs do give a lot of that tactile feeling and effect the room a lot so you're probably right because there's definitely a difference in sound between ported and sealed subs.

You had said that you don't hear that the bass boost is effecting all speakers but do you see that it changes all the speakers in the graphs when you move the slide?
I see a shift from 100hz down when I change the Bass Boost which I think is what you are seeing. However, as I have confessed, if there is an auditory difference, which I can't really attest to, I must like it. Since you are hearing, not just seeing, what I'm about to suggest is probably wrong. But, I wonder if the shift in the graph is just an artifact of the program trying to present a smooth line. For example, with a speaker other than subwoofer, as you change the Bass Boost, it still doesn't show it rising to 15hz. In fact, it shows them dropping dramatically at 25hz. With a 12db slope, you'd expect a more gradual decline. As you and I have both attested from REW, our subs are very strong under 20hz. In fact, because they are sealed, mine go up under 20hz. Genesis, even in the subwoofer graph does not reflect this. It shows a significant drop at 20hz. Supposedly, the Bass Boost keeps rising to 15hz. In addition, REW has always shown my subs to keep rising to 10hz. Genesis is terrific, however, it isn't perfect and I don't think the graphs are completely representing what is actually happening. However, I have no disagreement with your ears.
WLC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,710
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Mine shows my sub rising all the way to 15Hz with bass boost and without bass boot my subs are showing pretty flat to 15Hz in Genesis. Now REW shows my subs all over the place after Genesis but REW shows them playing down to 13Hz and then they start to drop off. It's great that we both have subs that can play so loud and so low. I remember back in the day thinking a 25Hz sub was great.

Hey I added the Genesis thread to my signature. I'm hoping others do the same and we get even more traffic. The thread is doing pretty well.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is online now  
post #125 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
mitchlampert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Gotta say that this thread and Genesis (which visualized my knowledge that my subs were deficient) has lead me to update my subs to Rythmik FV25HP x2!!! Now the waiting game for the install!!
gbreda likes this.
mitchlampert is offline  
post #126 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bluecow003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I'm looking for some help regarding a house curve. I'm familiar with the concept, but I've never known quite how to implement it. I have a miniDSP that I know I can use for it and I know Genesis can essentially do it as well. My room is completely sealed with carpet over concrete dedicated wholly for music and movies. I have two sealed subs (Rythmik F25's) and can easily get down to 10 Hz. Can someone walk me through what adjustments I should make to create a house curve in both my miniDSP and Genesis to help me compare the two methods that would likely be suitable for my room? It seems there is some debate about which method is better, so I'd like to be able to compare them.

In case it matters, I also regularly use BEQ with my miniDSP (love it!) and I understand there is some method to integrate a miniDSP house curve into BEQ settings. I'm not sure how applying a house curve using Genesis will affect BEQ.

7.2.4 Setup | Display: LG 77" C8 OLED | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
Bluecow003 is offline  
post #127 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Genesis Thread signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Mine shows my sub rising all the way to 15Hz with bass boost and without bass boot my subs are showing pretty flat to 15Hz in Genesis. Now REW shows my subs all over the place after Genesis but REW shows them playing down to 13Hz and then they start to drop off. It's great that we both have subs that can play so loud and so low. I remember back in the day thinking a 25Hz sub was great.

Hey I added the Genesis thread to my signature. I'm hoping others do the same and we get even more traffic. The thread is doing pretty well.
That's great. Hope others follow. I see that you often post in the 3 relevant threads, so you'll be a great advertiser. Would be great to get consolidated.
WLC is offline  
post #128 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,710
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
Gotta say that this thread and Genesis (which visualized my knowledge that my subs were deficient) has lead me to update my subs to Rythmik FV25HP x2!!! Now the waiting game for the install!!
Most of us have been where you are. We started reading threads about subs digging deep and shaking the house and we wanted to join the club. Welcome to the club.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is online now  
post #129 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
House Curve suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post
I'm looking for some help regarding a house curve. I'm familiar with the concept, but I've never known quite how to implement it. I have a miniDSP that I know I can use for it and I know Genesis can essentially do it as well. My room is completely sealed with carpet over concrete dedicated wholly for music and movies. I have two sealed subs (Rythmik F25's) and can easily get down to 10 Hz. Can someone walk me through what adjustments I should make to create a house curve in both my miniDSP and Genesis to help me compare the two methods that would likely be suitable for my room? It seems there is some debate about which method is better, so I'd like to be able to compare them.

In case it matters, I also regularly use BEQ with my miniDSP (love it!) and I understand there is some method to integrate a miniDSP house curve into BEQ settings. I'm not sure how applying a house curve using Genesis will affect BEQ.
You'll have to look to Legairre for advice about miniDSP and Genesis. He prefers miniDSP for a house curve rather than Genesis.
I don't have a miniDSP in my home theater, although I do have one for Dirac in my stereo. If you want to see what Genesis can do without the miniDSP
1 Level Match subs
2 Adjust Gain in subs for flattest fr (There's an alternative method of maximizing dbs, but for me this worked much better)
3 Run Genesis in Professional Mode
4 Check Hi Frequency roll-off in your speakers and change all of them to match the lowest
5 Change Bass Boost to +6 starting at 40hz
6 Change the Tilt Level to -8 starting at 500hz
7 Upload and listen to the magic (hopefully)

Because you have sealed subs, as I do, you might be happy with this as a starting point. I won't be shocked if it is not where you end up.
WLC is offline  
post #130 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,710
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post
I'm looking for some help regarding a house curve. I'm familiar with the concept, but I've never known quite how to implement it. I have a miniDSP that I know I can use for it and I know Genesis can essentially do it as well. My room is completely sealed with carpet over concrete dedicated wholly for music and movies. I have two sealed subs (Rythmik F25's) and can easily get down to 10 Hz. Can someone walk me through what adjustments I should make to create a house curve in both my miniDSP and Genesis to help me compare the two methods that would likely be suitable for my room? It seems there is some debate about which method is better, so I'd like to be able to compare them.

In case it matters, I also regularly use BEQ with my miniDSP (love it!) and I understand there is some method to integrate a miniDSP house curve into BEQ settings. I'm not sure how applying a house curve using Genesis will affect BEQ.
I would say do it in Genesis first. You may like it and not even need the miniDSP.



Here's how to create a house curve in Genesis.
  1. Click on “Adjust Targets”
  2. Select the profile in Genesis you want to add a house curve to.
  3. Under the System Wide Target (for the profile you selected) you’ll use the “Deep Bass Boost” and the “Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency” to create your house curve. The “Deep Bass Boost” is how many decibels you want the house curve to rise at its max. Remember a house curve starts at 1 and rises slowly as the frequency gets lower. The “Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency” is where the curve should start.
  4. To try it set the “Deep Bass Boost” to 6dB (you can play with the amount 6dB is just so you see a big change in the graph).
  5. Then set the “Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency” to 50 Hz or where ever you like..
  6. Then just scroll down and look at your sub graph and you’ll see how it starts to rise starting at 50 Hz and getting higher as the frequencies get lower.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is online now  
post #131 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Beautifully clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I would say do it in Genesis first. You may like it and not even need the miniDSP.



Here's how to create a house curve in Genesis.
  1. Click on “Adjust Targets”
  2. Select the profile in Genesis you want to add a house curve to.
  3. Under the System Wide Target (for the profile you selected) you’ll use the “Deep Bass Boost” and the “Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency” to create your house curve. The “Deep Bass Boost” is how many decibels you want the house curve to rise at its max. Remember a house curve starts at 1 and rises slowly as the frequency gets lower. The “Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency” is where the curve should start.
  4. To try it set the “Deep Bass Boost” to 6dB (you can play with the amount 6dB is just so you see a big change in the graph).
  5. Then set the “Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency” to 50 Hz or where ever you like..
  6. Then just scroll down and look at your sub graph and you’ll see how it starts to rise starting at 50 Hz and getting higher as the frequencies get lower.
I can't help myself. These are beautifully clear and helpful directions. We're lucky to have you active in the thread.
mbroadus and Bluecow003 like this.
WLC is offline  
post #132 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bluecow003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
You'll have to look to Legairre for advice about miniDSP and Genesis. He prefers miniDSP for a house curve rather than Genesis.
I don't have a miniDSP in my home theater, although I do have one for Dirac in my stereo. If you want to see what Genesis can do without the miniDSP
1 Level Match subs
2 Adjust Gain in subs for flattest fr (There's an alternative method of maximizing dbs, but for me this worked much better)
3 Run Genesis in Professional Mode
4 Check Hi Frequency roll-off in your speakers and change all of them to match the lowest
5 Change Bass Boost to +6 starting at 40hz
6 Change the Tilt Level to -8 starting at 500hz
7 Upload and listen to the magic (hopefully)

Because you have sealed subs, as I do, you might be happy with this as a starting point. I won't be shocked if it is not where you end up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I would say do it in Genesis first. You may like it and not even need the miniDSP.



Here's how to create a house curve in Genesis.
  1. Click on “Adjust Targets”
  2. Select the profile in Genesis you want to add a house curve to.
  3. Under the System Wide Target (for the profile you selected) you’ll use the “Deep Bass Boost” and the “Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency” to create your house curve. The “Deep Bass Boost” is how many decibels you want the house curve to rise at its max. Remember a house curve starts at 1 and rises slowly as the frequency gets lower. The “Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency” is where the curve should start.
  4. To try it set the “Deep Bass Boost” to 6dB (you can play with the amount 6dB is just so you see a big change in the graph).
  5. Then set the “Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency” to 50 Hz or where ever you like..
  6. Then just scroll down and look at your sub graph and you’ll see how it starts to rise starting at 50 Hz and getting higher as the frequencies get lower.

Great, thank you. Couple follow up questions:


1. In the first recommendations above about high frequency roll off, how do I check it and what is the benefit of doing that? I noticed Anthem's information says that if the correction (default is 5000 Hz) is below the roll-off frequency, then changing the roll-off won't do anything.
2. The top recommendation says to use tilt, but the second set doesn't. What am I looking to happen by applying that setting or how would I know if it's a good idea or not?
3. If I apply a house curve to Genesis, which will boost bass frequencies, how does that fit with using BEQ? Would I have to worry about BEQ adding too much bass if I'm already adding some from the Genesis house curve?

7.2.4 Setup | Display: LG 77" C8 OLED | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
Bluecow003 is offline  
post #133 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,710
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
I can't help myself. These are beautifully clear and helpful directions. We're lucky to have you active in the thread.
Thanks for the compliments WLC. Hey you started the thread I'm just trying to be a contributor. Trying to get it to 1000 post.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is online now  
post #134 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
mitchlampert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Most of us have been where you are. We started reading threads about subs digging deep and shaking the house and we wanted to join the club. Welcome to the club.
Thanks! I'll be sure to email you my corrected Genesis file to have you help me dial it in! Do I need to re-calibrate the entire system or can I just re-calibrate the subs?
mitchlampert is offline  
post #135 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,710
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Man that's one of the great things about Genesis. You can add or move speakers and just remeasure only the ones that changed without having to do a full Genesis run again.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is online now  
post #136 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rico66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
One thing that you may also pay attention to is the "high frequency extension" of the subwoofer. I just stumbled over this recently by doing 2 different measusrements. My room has a large window behind the couch, so I measused twice, once with blinds down and once up.
The biggest difference is the roll-off which in the case of "blinds up" is set to the cross-over of the front speakers (70Hz), whereas for "blinds down" it essentially goes up to 250Hz. This results in quite a dip for the target curves, and really counters any kind of house curve that intends to raise frequencies around 100 Hz.
The higher extension certainly results in a much fuller sound, especially for music.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	measurement.png
Views:	66
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2576834  

Last edited by Rico66; 06-06-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Rico66 is offline  
post #137 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecow003 View Post
Great, thank you. Couple follow up questions:


1. In the first recommendations above about high frequency roll off, how do I check it and what is the benefit of doing that? I noticed Anthem's information says that if the correction (default is 5000 Hz) is below the roll-off frequency, then changing the roll-off won't do anything.
2. The top recommendation says to use tilt, but the second set doesn't. What am I looking to happen by applying that setting or how would I know if it's a good idea or not?
3. If I apply a house curve to Genesis, which will boost bass frequencies, how does that fit with using BEQ? Would I have to worry about BEQ adding too much bass if I'm already adding some from the Genesis house curve?
1. High frequency roll-off is in each speaker panel. "The High-Frequency Roll Off controls how rapidly the high frequencies decrease as they approach 20,000 Hz. ARC uses this setting to match the target curves to the natural high-frequency response of the speakers. A low setting (i.e., 0.5) causes the speaker to roll off significantly as it approaches 20,000 Hz, while a higher setting (i.e., 30) causes the speaker to play nearly flat to 20,000 Hz. You can also choose “Flat.”

Around 10,000 Hz is where this control begins affecting the target curve. If you have a Maximum EQ Frequency set below 10,000 Hz (remember, 5,000 Hz is the default Max EQ setting), then this control does affect your final corrections."
So, this explanation from Anthem states that the high frequency roll-off does work if you max freq is 5,000hz. The benefit of adjusting all of the speakers to the lowest one is trying to get a house curve that goes down from 500hz to 20,000hz. This is just one step in that effort.

2. Tilt can let you increase or decrease dbs as you increase hz. What I suggested you start with is 500hz at -8.

If you also apply the deep bass boost with the above two suggestions, you will get a house curve that roughly approximates dropping 14 dbs from 20 to 5,000hz with an indeterminate drop after that.
I don't know anything about BEQ. I believe Legairre, who does know about BEQ, suggested you first try Genesis by itself to see if you like it.
There is no substitute for experimenting with the settings and then deciding what you like best. I tried many iterations before settling on the ones I suggested above. They are terrific for me. They are just a suggested starting point for your efforts.
Good luck
Bluecow003 likes this.
WLC is offline  
post #138 of 710 Old 06-06-2019, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
Thanks! I'll be sure to email you my corrected Genesis file to have you help me dial it in! Do I need to re-calibrate the entire system or can I just re-calibrate the subs?
Thanks for adding Dedicated Arc Genesis Thread to your signature. Now there are 3 of us trying to spread the word.
WLC is offline  
post #139 of 710 Old 06-07-2019, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wingnut4772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Arc Genesis Issues

Guys, I am beside myself. My Arc Genesis keeps crashing just after mic selection on my Mac. Running the latest version of Mojave. I even tried parallels on my mac and I just get "access" denied. There has to be a fix, right? Oh! And this was an Alpha program they emailed me directly. I was unable to download it from the website. Apple said it was unable to scan it for security.
wingnut4772 is offline  
post #140 of 710 Old 06-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
HarleyRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Far north Chicago suburbs
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
Thanks for adding Dedicated Arc Genesis Thread to your signature. Now there are 3 of us trying to spread the word.
Make it 4!

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
HarleyRider is offline  
post #141 of 710 Old 06-07-2019, 07:45 AM
Senior Member
 
HarleyRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Far north Chicago suburbs
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Man that's one of the great things about Genesis. You can add or move speakers and just remeasure only the ones that changed without having to do a full Genesis run again.
I tried this last weekend after I switched out my surrounds from one pair to another. It was pretty slick, but it didn't seem like it adjusted the levels, just the target EQ curves. What has been your experience using this function?

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
HarleyRider is offline  
post #142 of 710 Old 06-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
Bluecow003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Thank you for the help with the house curve stuff. I gave the suggestions a try last night and I think I was able to find something I like. For music, I found that I had to back off on the boost a little bit from 6 dB to 4.5 dB otherwise the bass overwhelmed the rest of the sound a little bit. Similarly, just keeping the trim flat was also best for music. For movies, I used the 6 dB boost and that seems to be enough for me. I tried a movie with BEQ enabled and it worked fine with the house curve. It didn't sound like my subs were being pushed too hard at all. I also shifted the Center Frequency to 40 Hz to help not muddy up some of the midtones. So I think I got pretty close to what I was hoping for.

7.2.4 Setup | Display: LG 77" C8 OLED | Blu-ray: Oppo UDP-203 | Processor: Anthem AVM60 | Amps: Outlaw 7700, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 | Speakers: Paradigm Prestige (2) 95F's, 55C, (4) 15B's, (4) CI-Elite E65-R (Atmos) | Subs: (2) Rythmik F25's
Bluecow003 is offline  
post #143 of 710 Old 06-07-2019, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Make it 4!
And you managed to make it in a bold font. Good for you.
WLC is offline  
post #144 of 710 Old 06-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: St. Petersburg, Russia
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Soo I finally tested Arc Genesis and I must say it's a massive improvement over Arc 2.0! The sound is awesome, everything seem to be working excelent, great software!

PS4PRO, Nvidia Shield + Kodi
Anthem 720 (pre\pro only) + 5.1.4: Pass labs INT-30A -> Crites Cornscala; Emotiva A-700 -> Crites CS-1; Crites CSC-1; Onkyo Atmos on-walls, SVS SB-4000.
JVC 7500 + 110" screen
RAzZin is offline  
post #145 of 710 Old 06-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Member
 
anilpani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can anyone explain this to me?

When running ARC Genesis, I was forced to turn my subwoofers down significantly in order to complete the measurement process. Using the quick measure function, I found that I could only proceed if the total subwoofer output was less than 70dB.

Now after completing the calculations, however, my subwoofer level is set to +6dB!

How does that make any sense?

Also, all of my channel levels are quite high with the front left set at +12dB. This is several dB higher than ARC2 and overall seems strange.

Thanks in advance for the input.
anilpani is offline  
post #146 of 710 Old 06-09-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
If channelset higher than 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilpani View Post
Can anyone explain this to me?

When running ARC Genesis, I was forced to turn my subwoofers down significantly in order to complete the measurement process. Using the quick measure function, I found that I could only proceed if the total subwoofer output was less than 70dB.

Now after completing the calculations, however, my subwoofer level is set to +6dB!

How does that make any sense?

Also, all of my channel levels are quite high with the front left set at +12dB. This is several dB higher than ARC2 and overall seems strange.

Thanks in advance for the input.
The last issue first. Whenever a channel is set to 12, you have to independently check all of the channel levels. Probably, the ones less than 12 are set correctly, but you are going to have to adjust the trim in channels set at 12 because they are probably too low. The first version of Genesis allowed us to see in the pdf which channels should be calibrated higher than 12, even though the processor doesn't go higher. After I contacted Anthem, they "fixed" that by setting a limit on the pdf of 12 without actually changing what is needed. I did not use the quick measure for this, just a radio shack sound meter. The original Genesis showed my back and surrounds needing 13, 14 and 15, Unfortunately, they can only be adjusted in pairs, but for me the adjustment worked quite well.
I strongly suggest you go through this additional step.
I was also forced to turn down my subwoofers by a considerable amount. Genesis also then set them to +3 with a gain of 3. This results in a calibration level in the processor of +6. With ARC2, I followed suggestions from the Bass threads and ran the calibration with the subs 10 dbs hot. This resulted in a calibration level of -8. I would then run the subs an additional 10 dbs hot. I thought it sounded good. However, with only the Deep Bass boost of +6 at 40 hz the bass sounds so much richer, fuller and more textured that I am dumbfounded. The volume in the subs is almost 20 dbs less, but the calibration is 14 db higher. This flies in the face of all that I learned during the last year from the subwoofer threads. But, again, the quality of the bass is significantly better. One possible explanation for the difference is that the bass thread participants almost all use audyssey.
Hope some of this is relevant.
WLC is offline  
post #147 of 710 Old 06-09-2019, 09:31 AM
Member
 
anilpani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is extremely helpful. Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
The last issue first. Whenever a channel is set to 12, you have to independently check all of the channel levels. Probably, the ones less than 12 are set correctly, but you are going to have to adjust the trim in channels set at 12 because they are probably too low. The first version of Genesis allowed us to see in the pdf which channels should be calibrated higher than 12, even though the processor doesn't go higher. After I contacted Anthem, they "fixed" that by setting a limit on the pdf of 12 without actually changing what is needed. I did not use the quick measure for this, just a radio shack sound meter. The original Genesis showed my back and surrounds needing 13, 14 and 15, Unfortunately, they can only be adjusted in pairs, but for me the adjustment worked quite well.
I strongly suggest you go through this additional step.
I was also forced to turn down my subwoofers by a considerable amount. Genesis also then set them to +3 with a gain of 3. This results in a calibration level in the processor of +6. With ARC2, I followed suggestions from the Bass threads and ran the calibration with the subs 10 dbs hot. This resulted in a calibration level of -8. I would then run the subs an additional 10 dbs hot. I thought it sounded good. However, with only the Deep Bass boost of +6 at 40 hz the bass sounds so much richer, fuller and more textured that I am dumbfounded. The volume in the subs is almost 20 dbs less, but the calibration is 14 db higher. This flies in the face of all that I learned during the last year from the subwoofer threads. But, again, the quality of the bass is significantly better. One possible explanation for the difference is that the bass thread participants almost all use audyssey.
Hope some of this is relevant.
anilpani is offline  
post #148 of 710 Old 06-10-2019, 06:37 AM
Member
 
Ccondo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For those of you with 2+ subs, are you happy with Genesis? I’m thinking of making the switch from YPAO and I’m looking for a room correction platform that will get the most out of my system. I have a dedicated acoustically treated theater but a mix of speakers (Revel PerformaBe fronts, Revel Peforma3 surrounds and center, Polk in ceiling for Atmos and Hsu 15” subs). I’m looking for a platform to maximize my setup. Thoughts? Unsure if I should wait for something that individually calibrates subs or jump on the 20% off promo. I’d very much appreciate any insight, thanks.
Ccondo1 is offline  
post #149 of 710 Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
WLC
Senior Member
 
WLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 331
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Multiple subs and Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccondo1 View Post
For those of you with 2+ subs, are you happy with Genesis? I’m thinking of making the switch from YPAO and I’m looking for a room correction platform that will get the most out of my system. I have a dedicated acoustically treated theater but a mix of speakers (Revel PerformaBe fronts, Revel Peforma3 surrounds and center, Polk in ceiling for Atmos and Hsu 15” subs). I’m looking for a platform to maximize my setup. Thoughts? Unsure if I should wait for something that individually calibrates subs or jump on the 20% off promo. I’d very much appreciate any insight, thanks.
I have 4 SVS SB16Ultras. I adjusted gain and level matched. Ran Genesis. Excellent results. Highly recommend for multiple subs.
WLC is offline  
post #150 of 710 Old 06-10-2019, 08:42 AM
Member
 
Bittermidget's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccondo1 View Post
For those of you with 2+ subs, are you happy with Genesis? I’m thinking of making the switch from YPAO and I’m looking for a room correction platform that will get the most out of my system. I have a dedicated acoustically treated theater but a mix of speakers (Revel PerformaBe fronts, Revel Peforma3 surrounds and center, Polk in ceiling for Atmos and Hsu 15” subs). I’m looking for a platform to maximize my setup. Thoughts? Unsure if I should wait for something that individually calibrates subs or jump on the 20% off promo. I’d very much appreciate any insight, thanks.
As WLC indicated, Genesis seems to do a good job integrating subs. I might add that in addition to gain or level matching, there is a ton to be gained by running REW measurements on your subs before running ARC to place your subs in the best positions and then time align them to act coherently as one single low frequency source. In my case, using 3 subs without REW, there was a dip in my subwoofer response that kept fooling Genesis into thinking the subs were rolling off around 40Hz. Using REW, I was able to time align the 3 subs for a smoother response, and then Genesis saw solid output down below 20Hz.

In addition, I used REW after running Genesis to adjust the subwoofer distance so the response at the crossover (80Hz in my case) summed the best between mains and subs. I ended up needed to add a few feet to the sub distance. This improved things further in the 60-100 Hz region.

I would highly recommend the process below if you are looking for that last 20% improvement beyond what Room Correction can do.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ow-thread.html

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
Bittermidget is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc genesis , genesis

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off