Dedicated ARC Genesis thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 570Likes

post #1861 of 2060 Old 05-25-2020, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorosone View Post
Dear Madrac,

I can't find your answer in that thread, could you share a link to your reply?
Thanks,

rorosone,

I posted twice on this, first one is here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post59701342

LG OLED65E6P, Anthem MRX720, Rogue Atlas Magnum II, UPA7, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL, Luna Duo center, Sierra 2 surrounds, and HTM200SE front & rear heights, Rythmik E15HP (1, but plan on adding a 2nd), VPI Classic 1+ (VTA Tower, 3D arm), VAS NOVA and Soundsmith Paua cartridges, Manley Chinook, Oppo 103D, Oppo 203. Audio Sensibility and Blue Jeans cabling, Symposium & Isoacoustics isolation products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 2060 Old 05-25-2020, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
rorosone,

I posted twice on this, first one is here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post59701342
Thanks Madrac, I remember now what you replied...my memory is no longer what it was...
post #1863 of 2060 Old 05-25-2020, 06:54 AM

no worries.

LG OLED65E6P, Anthem MRX720, Rogue Atlas Magnum II, UPA7, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL, Luna Duo center, Sierra 2 surrounds, and HTM200SE front & rear heights, Rythmik E15HP (1, but plan on adding a 2nd), VPI Classic 1+ (VTA Tower, 3D arm), VAS NOVA and Soundsmith Paua cartridges, Manley Chinook, Oppo 103D, Oppo 203. Audio Sensibility and Blue Jeans cabling, Symposium & Isoacoustics isolation products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 2060 Old 05-25-2020, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Is it possible to use the ARC mic with REW? Is there a way to use ARC mic cal file in REW? I am trying to get dual subwoofers calibrated prior to running ARC.

Also, I read the poor audiophile article that stated you want to adjust the phase of each sub prior to running ARC by using an SPL meter at the MLP and using the phase on each subwoofer that coordinates to the highest SPL reading. Is this correct? I am running a sub in the front left corner and one in right back corner (diagonal placement). With this phase SPL test my front left sub said phase 0 degrees is the highest SPL and phase 180 degrees is the highest SPL.

Please let me know. Thank you!
post #1865 of 2060 Old 05-25-2020, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
Is it possible to use the ARC mic with REW? Is there a way to use ARC mic cal file in REW? I am trying to get dual subwoofers calibrated prior to running ARC.

Also, I read the poor audiophile article that stated you want to adjust the phase of each sub prior to running ARC by using an SPL meter at the MLP and using the phase on each subwoofer that coordinates to the highest SPL reading. Is this correct? I am running a sub in the front left corner and one in right back corner (diagonal placement). With this phase SPL test my front left sub said phase 0 degrees is the highest SPL and phase 180 degrees is the highest SPL.

Please let me know. Thank you!
Anthem uses a proprietary mic and also a proprietary, encoded format for their mic calibration file. Therefore, it is not possible to use the ARC mic with another program, nor another mic with ARC. That was an unnecessarily closed design decision, in my view.

I would set the speaker distances manually before running ARC, and certainly before adjusting phase.

As to phase, Genesis corrects each speaker individually (at least when used in my 2.2 system). For that reason, you can set the phase before or after you run ARC. When doing so, I look for highest SPL at the crossover frequency, but also smoothest response for a couple of octaves around the crossover. Looking for smoothest response can help narrow down the best phase setting.

What Anthem device are you using? The STR models can set phase automatically, after you have run ARC and loaded the corrections. (They do this by searching for smoothest response across phase settings.) I find that works very well, but it affects Preset 1 ONLY. You need to copy the settings manually to the other Presets.

Mike (Portland, Oregon)
Spoiler!
post #1866 of 2060 Old 05-25-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 1623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
Anthem uses a proprietary mic and also a proprietary, encoded format for their mic calibration file. Therefore, it is not possible to use the ARC mic with another program, nor another mic with ARC. That was an unnecessarily closed design decision, in my view.

I would set the speaker distances manually before running ARC, and certainly before adjusting phase.

As to phase, Genesis corrects each speaker individually (at least when used in my 2.2 system). For that reason, you can set the phase before or after you run ARC. When doing so, I look for highest SPL at the crossover frequency, but also smoothest response for a couple of octaves around the crossover. Looking for smoothest response can help narrow down the best phase setting.

What Anthem device are you using? The STR models can set phase automatically, after you have run ARC and loaded the corrections. (They do this by searching for smoothest response across phase settings.) I find that works very well, but it affects Preset 1 ONLY. You need to copy the settings manually to the other Presets.
You CAN use the Anthem mic with REW no issues at all except you cannot load the correction file so you won't get 100% accuracy.
As for dual sub calibration do you hear two distinct test tones for each individual sub during measurements?
I would set the distance approx before setting phase and once phase is set then readjust distance bit by bit and keep quick measuring to tighten up response as phase and distance/delay go hand in hand, the dip above or below the xover can be generally ironed out by dialing in phase and delay.
nathan_h likes this.

EPSON TW-9300 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, DIY Subs 18" 24hz tune and 12" 17hz tune Panasonic UB900, HTPC, etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post50298297
post #1867 of 2060 Old 05-25-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
You CAN use the Anthem mic with REW no issues at all except you cannot load the correction file so you won't get 100% accuracy.
Thanks for posting that -- obviously, I was mistaken, and I've never used the Anthem mic with other programs. Since fractions of a dB can be audible, I would be hesitant to use the Anthem mic with REW for midrange and HF measurements, but I'll bet it would be fine in the bass. I wish someone would come up with a program to decode Anthem correction files; even better, if Anthem would supply such a program.

I seem to have four different measurement mics for use with different items.
  1. Anthem mic for the STR Preamp
  2. UMIK-1 for miniDSP Dirac; also ideal for REW
  3. Dayton OmniMic2 for general-purpose measurement
  4. JL Audio mic for calibrating their subs
This requires three different mic clips and four different mic cables or adapters. What a nuisance!

Mike (Portland, Oregon)
Spoiler!
post #1868 of 2060 Old 05-25-2020, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for posting that -- obviously, I was mistaken, and I've never used the Anthem mic with other programs. Since fractions of a dB can be audible, I would be hesitant to use the Anthem mic with REW for midrange and HF measurements, but I'll bet it would be fine in the bass. I wish someone would come up with a program to decode Anthem correction files; even better, if Anthem would supply such a program.

I seem to have four different measurement mics for use with different items.
  1. Anthem mic for the STR Preamp
  2. UMIK-1 for miniDSP Dirac; also ideal for REW
  3. Dayton OmniMic2 for general-purpose measurement
  4. JL Audio mic for calibrating their subs
This requires three different mic clips and four different mic cables or adapters. What a nuisance!
Yes I would only recommend it for bass as well. There are minor differences with different equipment in general but I wouldn't worry much about it. If we wanted to go dead accurate we would need to invest in pro equipment and have the rooms treated 100% well which obviously would be up with studio cost too.
Even just slightly opening/closing a door a or window will have an effect as well so I am not aiming for perfection.

I used to have a Martin Logan sub which also came with ARC and its own Anthem mic exactly the same that comes with the MRX series yet there was a difference in measurements between the two identical mic from the same company calibrated so again unless we go pro...

EPSON TW-9300 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, DIY Subs 18" 24hz tune and 12" 17hz tune Panasonic UB900, HTPC, etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post50298297

Last edited by Bandyka; 05-25-2020 at 04:38 PM.
post #1869 of 2060 Old 05-26-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
[...] There are minor differences with different equipment in general but I wouldn't worry much about it. If we wanted to go dead accurate we would need to invest in pro equipment and have the rooms treated 100% well which obviously would be up with studio cost too. Even just slightly opening/closing a door a or window will have an effect as well [...]
For the most part, I agree with you. Yet since ARC doesn't allow midrange changes to the target curve, it would be nice if one could verify that the mic calibration is right. When I watch movies, I notice frequency-response blips far less than when listening to music alone -- solo piano, e.g., is pretty revealing of any unevenness.

And absolutely, windows and doors do make a measurable difference, so as much as possible I listen the same way I've calibrated. Call me a fanatic; you won't be the first ).

Thanks for the info and perspective!
Bandyka likes this.

Mike (Portland, Oregon)
Spoiler!
post #1870 of 2060 Old 05-26-2020, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For the most part, I agree with you. Yet since ARC doesn't allow midrange changes to the target curve, it would be nice if one could verify that the mic calibration is right. When I watch movies, I notice frequency-response blips far less than when listening to music alone -- solo piano, e.g., is pretty revealing of any unevenness.

And absolutely, windows and doors do make a measurable difference, so as much as possible I listen the same way I've calibrated. Call me a fanatic; you won't be the first ).

Thanks for the info and perspective!
I have had my days of fanaticism as well
It's good to be dedicated to perfection sometimes but it can also drive you mad by always chasing that last bit that will just never be there .

These days I rather invest more time setting things up well once and forget and enjoy.
Jonas2 likes this.

post #1871 of 2060 Old 05-27-2020, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
This is probably a better place to post this question.

This is literally driving me nuts guys... Surely someone else has had this issue with ARC.

We have dual subwoofers and are trying to calibrate with ARC. This probably applies to those who have 1 subwoofer as well so please listen if you have one as well.

ARC keeps saying that our subs are too loud when trying to calibrate. I thought that the Anthem ARC wants the "sub" to be at 75db prior to calibrating? If I use the Quick Measure function of ARC and set the dual subs to 75db, it says it is too hot. It only will calibrate the system and continue if I have the dual subs at 72db COMBINED.

We have tried to do it so that we turn the subwoofer volumes down to just under where they want them and running the full ARC calibration. If we do this, it puts the final Subwoofer Trim Level to +5. How? Why? I do not get this at all and it is extremely frustrating. The Subwoofer Trim should NEVER be + inside of a processor or AVR. So it says that the subs are too hot to run the ARC calibration but then when we turn them down just a little bit, it makes the trim level +5? This makes zero sense!

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for us. I could manually go inside the processor afterwards and change it from +5 to 0 or -1 and then turn up the volume on the subwoofers, but this should not be like this!

Please help me understand and share your experiences where ARC has put your trim level inside your processor or AVR (Mine is the AVM60 running the latest firmware from Anthem's website).

Thanks much!
you only have to step back two pages to post 1794 where I address your exact issue. Since I posted, I've also discovered why the sub trim level in Genesis differs from the trim level once you load the correction file to the MRX - it's adding the user selectable room gain to the sub trim.
nathan_h likes this.
post #1872 of 2060 Old 05-27-2020, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANOpax View Post
you only have to step back two pages to post 1794 where I address your exact issue. Since I posted, I've also discovered why the sub trim level in Genesis differs from the trim level once you load the correction file to the MRX - it's adding the user selectable room gain to the sub trim.
Oh wow so this is why when I view the .PDF file my trim is actually in the negative but then it multiples the room correction value to it? Is there a reason why Anthem ARC selects that value? Should I just make it 0db room correction then? My levels definitely seem too high because if I watch a movie i have to have the processor set to a master volume of like -24db and this is pretty loud and I know that my subwoofer isn't going to produce as much bass this way since everything is calibrated via ARC at reference 0 master volume. I just do not want to tweak their room correction if there is a reason they are using my value (3.65 room correction).

Thanks for any insight!
post #1873 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 02:17 AM

Liked: 12
Hi guys, I was wondering how somebody was speaking about a new beta firmware for x20 receivers as I wasn't able to find it on Anthem website (I'm referring specifically to the "firmware", not to Genesis beta software). So I wrote to Anthem support, below you can have a look at their reply:

Hello,

We had an internal beta version of software for testing and it may have been sent out to one or two people. We found some issues with the software such that it can't be released.

We do not have an ETA on when we will have a new working version of this software available.

Jamie Z. | Technical Advisor | Paradigm/Anthem Support Team

Be carefull to install it, as far as Jamie says it doesn't work as expected.

HDTV: Panasonic TX-55GZ2000E ISF Calibrated | PLAYER: Oppo UDP-203EU | SAT: Sky Q Platinum | AVR: Anthem MRX 520 | REMOTE: Logitech Harmony Elite | FRONT: Paradigm Monitor 11 v7 | CENTER: Paradigm Monitor Center 3 v7 | SURROUND: Paradigm Monitor Surround 3 v7 | SUB: SVS SB4000 + SVS SoundPath 4 | SPEAKER CABLES: Supra Classic 4.0 & 2.5 | EQ & ACOUSTIC TREATMENT: Anthem ARC & Oudimmo Acoustic Design
post #1874 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegladiator75 View Post
Hi guys, I was wondering how somebody was speaking about a new beta firmware for x20 receivers as I wasn't able to find it on Anthem website (I'm referring specifically to the "firmware", not to Genesis beta software). So I wrote to Anthem support, below you can have a look at their reply:

Hello,

We had an internal beta version of software for testing and it may have been sent out to one or two people. We found some issues with the software such that it can't be released.

We do not have an ETA on when we will have a new working version of this software available.

Jamie Z. | Technical Advisor | Paradigm/Anthem Support Team

Be carefull to install it, as far as Jamie says it doesn't work as expected.

Thanks for posting this - at least they answered you. I had asked about ETA of next version but no response yet. One issue with the beta FW is that the test tones don't work from the setup menu -- at least for several of us. Otherwise, seems to work very well for me.

post #1875 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
So been listening to the Beta 1220 for several weeks now and I've never felt it quite had the oomph of the older versions. I just felt like I really had to crank it to get the dynamic range i was used too and even then it just didn't seem right. Also felt the centre channel didn't quite sound right and was lacking. So today I switched back over to my old favourite with is the really early 8867 version and my god the difference was night and day! Dynamics were back and the whole system seemed alive again! I know there been updates to later versions but I really think certainly in my situation 8867 is the best!
post #1876 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis1608 View Post
So been listening to the Beta 1220 for several weeks now and I've never felt it quite had the oomph of the older versions. I just felt like I really had to crank it to get the dynamic range i was used too and even then it just didn't seem right. Also felt the centre channel didn't quite sound right and was lacking. So today I switched back over to my old favourite with is the really early 8867 version and my god the difference was night and day! Dynamics were back and the whole system seemed alive again! I know there been updates to later versions but I really think certainly in my situation 8867 is the best!
Using the same house curve settings in each?

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
post #1877 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Yeah pretty much, always do a full re-measure whenever I use a different version of arc so have measurements for each version but my house curve is the same. My room is a dedicated cinema room and is treated. People may have different experiences in their room but if you have the older version give it a try
post #1878 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. I just have the current GM version. I use it on my two channel system and have noticed that the room gain it chooses is sometime a bit different from run to run and I have to manually adjust it to where I want it. Hence my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis1608 View Post
Quote:
Yeah pretty much, always do a full re-measure whenever I use a different version of arc so have measurements for each version but my house curve is the same. My room is a dedicated cinema room and is treated. People may have different experiences in their room but if you have the older version give it a try

My current setup.
post #1879 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As for dual sub calibration do you hear two distinct test tones for each individual sub during measurements?
I would set the distance approx before setting phase and once phase is set then readjust distance bit by bit and keep quick measuring to tighten up response as phase and distance/delay go hand in hand, the dip above or below the xover can be generally ironed out by dialing in phase and delay.
Hi,

How exactly do I use REW with the ARC mic because the YouTube video you linked me to for REW involves using a mini dsp that I dont have and cant afford right now. To make things easier with my two subs I have placed them both on the front stage next to the towers so they are the same 10 feet from MLP now with both phases set to 0. I have them right next to my entertainment center and the towers on the outer wall (one is almost in the right corner of the front room. Would it be better to put the subs on the outer?). The right sub is more in line with the center of the room and isn't by the corner. The reason I ask is because I currently have a big dip in frequency from about 40 to 60hz. This is using the quick measure function in ARC and is the curve for both subs. Please let me know how bad this dip is and if I should maybe put one sub in the front corner. I want to say when I had one sub in the rear corner of the room, i still had a big dip. Maybe it is just my room. Please see attachment for dip and also let me know if i can use REW with ARC mic but without minidsp like in that video. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Subwoofer level.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	2733690  
post #1880 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

How exactly do I use REW with the ARC mic because the YouTube video you linked me to for REW involves using a mini dsp that I dont have and cant afford right now. To make things easier with my two subs I have placed them both on the front stage next to the towers so they are the same 10 feet from MLP now with both phases set to 0. I have them right next to my entertainment center and the towers on the outer wall (one is almost in the right corner of the front room. Would it be better to put the subs on the outer?). The right sub is more in line with the center of the room and isn't by the corner. The reason I ask is because I currently have a big dip in frequency from about 40 to 60hz. This is using the quick measure function in ARC and is the curve for both subs. Please let me know how bad this dip is and if I should maybe put one sub in the front corner. I want to say when I had one sub in the rear corner of the room, i still had a big dip. Maybe it is just my room. Please see attachment for dip and also let me know if i can use REW with ARC mic but without minidsp like in that video. Thanks
What does your room look like? Is it a rectangle? Can you close the doors and make it sealed from the rest of the house? If so, the best bet is to place the subs in diagonally opposite corners. The second best is mid point on opposing walls. These placement options will give the most consistent bass across multiple measurement locations and give equalization the best foundation for improving the sound.

Note that you don't need the UMIK to run REW. The mic that came with your ARC device is likely more than good enough for a sanity check.

My current setup.
post #1881 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What does your room look like? Is it a rectangle? Can you close the doors and make it sealed from the rest of the house? If so, the best bet is to place the subs in diagonally opposite corners. The second best is mid point on opposing walls. These placement options will give the most consistent bass across multiple measurement locations and give equalization the best foundation for improving the sound.

Note that you don't need the UMIK to run REW. The mic that came with your ARC device is likely more than good enough for a sanity check.
Hey there! Thanks for taking the time to reply. Here are some attached photos I just took of the room. It is basically a rectangle but with an extended area for the door entry to the outside of the room. This is where the tv wall is. Then it has an opening in the middle of the room for the jack and jill bathrooms.

I figured the front stage for the subs might be best so I can just set them both phase 0 and distance to 10 feet since they are the same distance from MLP but I'm not sure it is the best sounding spots since it has that big dip in the curve from 40 to 60hz

Please let me know your thoughts. I know i can use ARCs mic for REW but I dont have a mini dsp and cant find a video of REW without using mini dsp.

Thanks for any suggestions on placement for this weird room that's like a rectangle but not a super long one and has the opening in the middle. Keep in mind if we need to move movie shelves we certainly can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7084.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	2733706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7083.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2733708   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7082.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2733710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7085.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2733712   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7086.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	2733714  

post #1882 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the photos. It will be more complicated to predict where the subs go best given the shape of the room. But the good news is that the size is going to be easy to fill with those subs.

You can run REW just to measure the bass. The minidsp comes in to play if you want to use an outboard eq on them. That’s fancy and sometimes necessary but if you are flexible with placement you may not need it.

But due to the shape of the room, it will be trial and error to get them dialed in. It can likely be done manually, but you may want to confirm things with measurement.

But even before measurement you may be able to dial them in via this method linked below. Give it a try.

After doing this, then let ARC do it’s thing and you are probably good to go.

http://www.avrant.com/a-12-step-guid...al-subwoofers/

My current setup.

Last edited by nathan_h; 05-28-2020 at 02:54 PM.
post #1883 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

To use it with REW you simply do nothing at all just fire up REW and measure that's it.
I believe I did suggest this before: measure the individual subs and see if the dip improves on one of them or both, if so they are cancelling each other, if no improvement that's your room but its unlikely. Have you done that?

Also unplug or turn off your mains and measure the subs only.

If you don't see any improvement with individual subs, get one of the subs, put it on your seat in the MLP and start measuring around the room and where you find the best response you put the sub there. Do the same with the second sub and when it shows a positive output where the other had a dip put it there so the combined response is a positive summation. THEN you can start aligning and EQ ing.

Before doing any of this you should gain match them which I also suggested before.

This way there is not trial and error, you will know exactly where to place them end of story.

makes sense?

Last edited by Bandyka; 05-28-2020 at 03:16 PM.
post #1884 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To use it with REW you simply do nothing at all just fire up REW and measure that's it.
I believe I did suggest this before: measure the individual subs and see if the dip improves on one of them or both, if so they are cancelling each other, if no improvement that's your room but its unlikely. Have you done that?

Also unplug or turn off your mains and measure the subs only.

If you don't see any improvement with individual subs, get one of the subs, put it on your seat in the MLP and start measuring around the room and where you find the best response you put the sub there. Do the same with the second sub and when it shows a positive output where the other had a dip put it there so the combined response is a positive summation. THEN you can start aligning and EQ ing.

Before doing any of this you should gain match them which I also suggested before.

This way there is not trial and error, you will know exactly where to place them end of story.

makes sense?
It definitely makes sense. My only issue is that these are almost 200 pound subs so I can't put them in my MLP. They are very heavy 16" subs and huge. Also, I do not have an independent gain knob on these subs. The gain is the same as the volume knob on my pb16ultras so wouldn't that be difficult to match? The gain is the same thing as volume on these.

Thanks for any advice. Thanks!
post #1885 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Gain=volume in this case.

My current setup.
post #1886 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Oh wow so this is why when I view the .PDF file my trim is actually in the negative but then it multiples the room correction value to it? Is there a reason why Anthem ARC selects that value? Should I just make it 0db room correction then? My levels definitely seem too high because if I watch a movie i have to have the processor set to a master volume of like -24db and this is pretty loud and I know that my subwoofer isn't going to produce as much bass this way since everything is calibrated via ARC at reference 0 master volume. I just do not want to tweak their room correction if there is a reason they are using my value (3.65 room correction).

Thanks for any insight!
ARC measures what it calls 'room gain' during the initial measurement process. This is ARC's description of room gain;

"Room gain is the slight rise in upper-bass and mid-bass frequencies that naturally occurs when sound is reinforced by the boundaries of a room: the floor, ceiling, and walls. Research has shown that the human brain is aware of this gain, but we filter it out of our conscious experience. Scientists theorize that we evolved to push it into the subconscious. Otherwise, we'd be constantly distracted by it.

When we walk into a room, we are aware of room gain, but our brains are processing its effect in the background. When we listen to a music system or home theater system in a room, research has shown that our subconscious brain expects to hear the effect. When the sound has a flat frequency response (i.e., with room gain removed), our minds are aware that something is wrong. Because of this, understanding the natural bass reinforcement of a room and preserving it is crucial when correcting the room’s sonic problems."

Some users have successfully played around with the room gain to 'enhance' the experience by increasing it around 0.75db. In my room, all that happens is bass booms and vocals become chesty so that tweak doesn't work for me. In fact, I'm experimenting with turning the room gain down to get punch wihout boom.
post #1887 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
ARC measures what it calls 'room gain' during the initial measurement process. This is ARC's description of room gain;

"Room gain is the slight rise in upper-bass and mid-bass frequencies that naturally occurs when sound is reinforced by the boundaries of a room: the floor, ceiling, and walls. Research has shown that the human brain is aware of this gain, but we filter it out of our conscious experience. Scientists theorize that we evolved to push it into the subconscious. Otherwise, we'd be constantly distracted by it.

When we walk into a room, we are aware of room gain, but our brains are processing its effect in the background. When we listen to a music system or home theater system in a room, research has shown that our subconscious brain expects to hear the effect. When the sound has a flat frequency response (i.e., with room gain removed), our minds are aware that something is wrong. Because of this, understanding the natural bass reinforcement of a room and preserving it is crucial when correcting the room’s sonic problems."

Some users have successfully played around with the room gain to 'enhance' the experience by increasing it around 0.75db. In my room, all that happens is bass booms and vocals become chesty so that tweak doesn't work for me. In fact, I'm experimenting with turning the room gain down to get punch wihout boom.
Dear ANOpax,
What are you using to turn the room gain down? Acoustic room treatment? Or decreasing the value in ARC Genesis?
post #1888 of 2060 Old 05-28-2020, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It definitely makes sense. My only issue is that these are almost 200 pound subs so I can't put them in my MLP. They are very heavy 16" subs and huge. Also, I do not have an independent gain knob on these subs. The gain is the same as the volume knob on my pb16ultras so wouldn't that be difficult to match? The gain is the same thing as volume on these.

Thanks for any advice. Thanks!
Gain or volume they are the same yes.
Yep I get you re: weight, however that is the way to get them setup right. My new sub I am building is a monster 18" and will be heavier than yours yet I will be putting it on the couch getting someone to help. I will also be installing wheels on them so I can move them around easily for best placement.

If you absolutely can't do that just move around with the mic in the room keep measuring with REW and see where it measures best. That way at least you will know if the room lets you move them around or the dip is non fixable without treatment.
Bittermidget likes this.

post #1889 of 2060 Old 05-29-2020, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My experience is like yours. I tend to turn down room gain in ARC, sometimes completely.

I still get tight deep accurate focused bass, but without bloat or boom.

In other words: it sounds like there isn’t a sub playing.....until the music or movie needs it, then bang.

My current setup.
post #1890 of 2060 Old 05-29-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorosone View Post
Dear ANOpax,
What are you using to turn the room gain down? Acoustic room treatment? Or decreasing the value in ARC Genesis?
Just decreasing the value in Genesis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc genesis , genesis

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page