Dedicated ARC Genesis thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 200Likes

post #211 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 163
12+ Post calibration

[QUOTE=Newbie789;58205300]How did yall resolve the issue with +12 dB speaker levels? Anthem tech said the new beta would fix it...I ran the measurements again and it came back with the same +12 for the main speakers.

Thanks

You have to Measure the volume in each speaker after calibration. In my 7.4 system, all speakers under 12+ were at precisely 75 db. There were 4 at 12+. One was also 75 db. The other 3 were 73, 72 and 74 db. I added 3 to the surrounds and 2 to the backs using the level trim adjustment.
In the first Genesis, it told you all the levels including those 12+. The revisions just hide that information but do not correct the problem, they actually make it worse by hiding the information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 04:53 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Sub distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchlampert View Post
How can I figure out how to set my sub distance? I am using a minidsp for BEQ and I'm sure that adds delay. Will Room EQ help? Maybe a computer program to measure phase? I wish Anthem would add phase correction to Genesis for the AVM60!
If you have REW, adjust sub distance (in my case between 10 and 25) and measure, keep doing until find flattest fr. Very quick procedure. In my case, the average for the 4 subs is 12 but the flattest response occurs at 22ft.
Bittermidget likes this.
post #213 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
How can I figure out how to set my sub distance? I am using a minidsp for BEQ and I'm sure that adds delay. Will Room EQ help? Maybe a computer program to measure phase? I wish Anthem would add phase correction to Genesis for the AVM60!
WLC is correct and you are on the right track with a miniDSP and REW.

For a very thorough explanation of doing this properly and for either one seat or best average over multiple seats, please read this a few times and try to implement. It's the most detailed info I have seen with good examples of sneaking up on the proper sub distance for sub/mains integration.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...ow-thread.html

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks for the replies. I am slowly becoming a master but for now still have some newbie questions. Should I use REW first (before Genesis calibration) to optimize my subs, then run Genesis and have my subs re-optimized? Then after that, use REW to set the correct sub distance? And then apparently, use Genesis to set each individual +12 channel to the correct output?!!
post #215 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 111
[quote=WLC;58205742]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
How did yall resolve the issue with +12 dB speaker levels? Anthem tech said the new beta would fix it...I ran the measurements again and it came back with the same +12 for the main speakers.

Thanks

You have to Measure the volume in each speaker after calibration. In my 7.4 system, all speakers under 12+ were at precisely 75 db. There were 4 at 12+. One was also 75 db. The other 3 were 73, 72 and 74 db. I added 3 to the surrounds and 2 to the backs using the level trim adjustment.

In the first Genesis, it told you all the levels including those 12+. The revisions just hide that information but do not correct the problem, they actually make it worse by hiding the information.

Might be a simple question, but how do I measure it? Should I use quick measure from position 1 and see how many dB short of 75 it shows?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #216 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Genesis and subs

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I am slowly becoming a master but for now still have some newbie questions. Should I use REW first (before Genesis calibration) to optimize my subs, then run Genesis and have my subs re-optimized? Then after that, use REW to set the correct sub distance? And then apparently, use Genesis to set each individual +12 channel to the correct output?!!
I used quick measure to level match subs. I then used REW to set gain on subs, adding one at a time. Many people adjust gain to maximize dbs, I adjusted gain to get the flattest fr and got much better results. I don't see how you would use Genesis to set each individual 12+ channel. Have to use level trim. Then use REW to set the correct sub distance.
Going a little further, I then added 4 dbs to the surrounds and backs. I have a large room that is open behind the back speakers and this results in the surround effects just floating in the air. This addition goes back to the days when all of the calibrations were done with a sound meter. May just be for my system.
Going even further, I then raised Deep Bass Boost by 6 starting at 40hz. I have noticed that many users prefer this adjustment instead of the gain adjustment suggested by Anthem. I then raised volume in the subs by 3 db.
When I first ran Genesis, I was stunned by the improvement in the bass. These additional adjustments are just for that small improvement most of us are searching for.
Going further yet, I adjusted the tilt to -8 starting at 500hz. Even though my Aerial Acoustic speakers are non-fatiguing, this additional adjustment allows me to play the system slightly louder without any unpleasantness.
post #217 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

12+ Post calibration

[QUOTE=Newbie789;58205872][quote=WLC;58205742]

Might be a simple question, but how do I measure it? Should I use quick measure from position 1 and see how many dB short of 75 it shows?

Thanks

I use a Radio Shack sound meter. I'm not sure if quick measure provides a post calibration reading. Would be interesting if someone more knowledgeable could tell us. I use quick measure to level match the subs before calibration, but, as I said, not sure can be used afterwards accurately for this purpose.
post #218 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLC View Post
I don't see how you would use Genesis to set each individual 12+ channel. Have to use level trim.
Thanks, I understand your entire statement except this. Where would I find the level trim?
post #219 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Level Trim

Quote:
Thanks, I understand your entire statement except this. Where would I find the level trim?
Level Trim P.44 of the manual

5.6 LEVEL TRIM
"If a channel group, for example the surrounds or the subwoofer, occasionally sounds too
loud or soft, its level can be adjusted on the fly. Press LEVEL to cycle through the groups
then up/down to adjust. LFE is a separate adjustment from Subwoofer which can be used
to reduce LFE level without affecting redirected bass from other channels. Subwoofer
adjustment changes the redirected bass together with LFE."

The Level button is on the remote control.

After I finish all the adjustments, I go to the save settings and save them, so that if I inadvertantly change these adjustments, I can just load them.
post #220 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Level Trim P.44 of the manual

5.6 LEVEL TRIM
"If a channel group, for example the surrounds or the subwoofer, occasionally sounds too
loud or soft, its level can be adjusted on the fly. Press LEVEL to cycle through the groups
then up/down to adjust. LFE is a separate adjustment from Subwoofer which can be used
to reduce LFE level without affecting redirected bass from other channels. Subwoofer
adjustment changes the redirected bass together with LFE."

The Level button is on the remote control.

After I finish all the adjustments, I go to the save settings and save them, so that if I inadvertantly change these adjustments, I can just load them.
Wow, I've been using a Universal Remote for many years and don't have that button but will program it today!!
post #221 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I am slowly becoming a master but for now still have some newbie questions. Should I use REW first (before Genesis calibration) to optimize my subs (YES), then run Genesis and have my subs re-optimized?(YES) Then after that, use REW to set the correct sub distance?(YES) And then apparently, use Genesis to set each individual +12 channel to the correct output?!!
Since you have them available, use REW and your miniDSP to place your subs in the best locations, gain/level match them, and set any necessary delays between individual subs BEFORE running any room correction. At this point, you are trying to time align all of your subs so they produce the signal at the same time with the smoothest frequency response, or at least the fewest dips in response. When successful, you will have multiple subs contributing like a singe bass source which is what ARC is looking for and what ARC is able to work with. Don't try to do any major equalization to the sub response in the miniDSP before running Genesis, because Genesis will apply its own sub response corrections. Only use miniDSP for delay or in some cases, to invert polarity on a single sub output.

Then you can run Genesis and see how it turns out. By optimizing your subwoofers to play together before running Genesis, you should have given Genesis less need for sub correction and a better chance at a smooth response.

After running Genesis, you have several options to tweak the low end response. You can adjust Room Gain and/or Deep Bass Boost in Genesis, add/subtract subwoofer level in the Anthem, and more. Alternatively, you can run REW after Genesis and apply equalization from REW to your miniDSP or set up a house curve inside your miniDSP.

The final step in optimizing bass is to use REW to adjust the subwoofer distance setting in the Anthem. This step is very important because it's the ONLY time you are actually measuring the response of main channel(s) and subwoofer(s) together. When the sub distance is adjusted correctly, you will have a proper blend around the crossover point, and most likely a much better result when you listen.

All of this is covered in the previous link I provided. I won't lie to you and tell you this is a quick process to do it right. But if you take your time in a logical sequence, you'll likely be amazed at the improvement.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
post #222 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I have now completed my first ARC Genesis run, so far, so good, and I love the flexibility to create a house curve. But there is one thing that I find frustrating and that has to do with symmetry.

My wife and I sit in two chairs in the front row, mine on the left and hers on the right. We have a 3-seat sofa for the 2nd row. With ARC 2 I would do the first measurement at my chair, the 2nd at my wife’s chair and the next 3 at the seating positions on the sofa. I would sometimes throw in a measure or two ahead of the seating area for balance. The idea was to try and optimize, as much as possible for all seating locations, not just mine, and thus I kept my mic locations symmetrical with respect to the long centerline of the room. Note: all the speaker pairs including the 2 subs are placed symmetrically in the room.

With ARC Genesis I tried to be a good boy and follow instructions and use the recommend mic position, which really haven’t changed much from ARC 2, except perhaps for the suggestion to vary the mic heights at some measurement locations. So, in my 1st Genesis run I kept the location more or less symmetrical around my chair and not the room. The results seem fine, and I didn’t notice any significant difference in charted frequency response from what ARC 2 produced, except, of course for the room curve.

What was noticeable however, was that all my levels were significantly boosted from what ARC 2 set, +9 to +11 except for the sub which Genesis had me turn down to run, and it was set at +6. Furthermore, there was definite asymmetry in the setting, e.g. the left front speaker level was set 2 dB lower than the right. Same with the surrounds, the speakers closest to my chair were set to lower levels that the ones on the other side of the room. If I left it this way the right front and right surrounds would be too hot at my wife’s chair and likely be annoying. So, I symmetrized the settings, setting pairs of speakers to the same averaged level. Why is this not the right way to set levels?

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.

Last edited by shs1234; 06-20-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #223 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
New beta version 9006 released today with a change log. https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/beta.php. 8972 was released earlier in the week without a change log so 9006 has a lot in it if you include what we didn't know was in 8972. Sure would like to know what the one in bold actually changes?????

Version 1.1.0.9006 (beta 5)
- added audio capture entitlement when signing macos version to prevent crash on macos 10.14.5
- request audio capture permission when first entering the microphone selection screen

Version 1.1.0.8972 (beta 4)
- Added Spanish translations
- Added official Anthem MDX-8 and MDX-16 support
- fixed issue where the demo mode was using duplicate curves for position 1 and position 2 (1169)
- improved handling of changes to the speaker / measurement mapping (1455)
- prevent -0.0 from being selecte as a test tone level during the auto level sequence (1427)
- further improvements to always release exclusive control as soon as possible (1376)
- further refinements to calibration file download
- fixed Defiance X10/X12/X15 don't work over USB connections (1397)
- fixed issue where windows versions incorrectly required the user to have the vs2012 redistributable installed (1432)
- fixed auto phase adjust sweep output for STR Integrated R and L subs (1406)
- improved handling for when phase adjust needs arc upload (1333)
- decreased phase adjust sweep volume (1334)
- added cancel button to the auto phase screen (1439)
- improved audio error handling on windows
- improved handling of usb errors (mac and windows)
- added automatic check for new ARC Genesis updates, prompts with option to open browser and download manually
- added option to enroll for beta releases (in preferences screen)
- increased STR profile name to allow up to 9 characters (maximum currently supported by STR IP commands)
- added notarization for mac OS builds to support mac os 10.14.5 or later

Version 1.1.0.8908 (beta 1):
- added support for many older Paradigm Subwoofers (8872): DSP-3100, DSP-3200, DSP-3400, Signature SUB 25, Monitor SUB 10, Monitor SUB 12, Monitor SUB 8, SE Sub, SUB 1, SUB 2, SUB 12, SUB 15, UltraCube 10, UltraCube 12, X-300
- fixed Defiance X10/X12/X15 don't work (1397)
- MacOS: fixed an issue where microphones with serial number less than roughly 308000 would incorrectly measure at the maximum microphone volume (1410)
- fixed issue where ARC Genesis would measure 3 dB lower than ARC2 (1410)
- fixed an issue where ARC Genesis would not release exclusive control when leaving quick measure (1376)
- fixed an issue where ARC would claim to have downloaded the microphone calibration file, but it actully failed. (1405)
- MacOS: minor correctness fix in the face of errors when enumerating usb devices (650 and 800)
- MacOS: improved robustness of USB device support (650 and 800)
- fixed clicking cancel in the open file screen causes the app to crash (1392)
- fixed Tilt Start Frequency displays incorrect information in the PDF report (1418)
- fixed an app crash that occured if you clicked 'cancel' after getting communication errors durring the connecting screen (1424)
- fixed issue where app could crash after audio errors during measurment and the user went back to the home screen (1331)
- fixed an issue where scrollbars where not always showing in dropdowns (1411)
- fixed an issue where the 'Resume' was displayed instead of 'Start' in the measurement screen (1370)
- fixed typo correction "Currected" to "Corrected" (1409)
- added a loading indicator for quick measure initialization & removed visiblitly of unused graph title (1383)
- increased visibility of no microphone message
- info popup centered below info icon
- open file screen clears previous device image (1393)
- back button from mic selection screen returns to configure screen (1372)
- red error text fix for measurement screen
- fixed possible clipping in MRX x10/x20 when ARC is turned on (content dependent) (1415)

Version 1.0.1.8867:
- Added a new shortcut in the start menu that forces ARC Genesis to use the angle library rather than the GPU's (ims 1399)
- changes to preferences are commited on immediate exit (1371)
- loading indicator is now shown with device image image in middle on screen (1366)
- 'button' ui element can now support two lines of text (1380)
- removed duplicate completion text for reset eq screen (1373)
- added a browse for calibration file to mic selection screen (1390)
- fixed an issue where calibration files that included 'Anthem', 'Paradigm' or 'MartinLogan' in the filename were not supported (1390)
- fixed an issue where some code paths did not properly handle unicode text/paths (1390, 1391)
- added a web download link for manual calibration file download (1390)
- fixed the issue where some users were unable to download calibration files, or would get the 'critical audio problem' during the initialization phase of measurements (1390)
- filtered duplicate devices in the supported devices screen (1379)
- paired (left/right) MartinLogan Masterpiece series speakers now have a unique curve color for the left/right speaker (1384)
- fixed packaging of mac release where license.txt and firmware update files were not being copied to the application bundle (1400, 1378, 1398)

Version 1.0.0.8849:
- Initial 1.0.0 release
BGLeduc likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 06-20-2019 at 01:42 PM.
post #224 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
WLC

Any reason to upgrade version?

Thanks for posting the above information.

I'm still back at Beta 8908. Anybody notice any difference in the sound with the further versions? Is there any reason to consider upgrading?

Thanks.
post #225 of 709 Old 06-20-2019, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by creasyb001 View Post
I recently upgraded to dual PSA 3010s and have been experimenting with ARC Genesis calibration to get the most out of the subs. My current settings include manually adding 3-4 dB with the sub gain following ARC Genesis calibration. I haven't tried the Deep Bass boost but after reading your post I'll give it a shot. Did you use deep bass along with a manual increase in dB post-ARC?
I didnt change the sub level gain directly, because I was under the assumption that may take it out of calibration. I could be wrong on that, but I thought that's what Anthem was getting at when they told me to use either the room gain (their preference) or the deep bass boost, as opposed to manually raising sub level gain directly.

Nice subs, btw
post #226 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Raising sub levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I didnt change the sub level gain directly, because I was under the assumption that may take it out of calibration. I could be wrong on that, but I thought that's what Anthem was getting at when they told me to use either the room gain (their preference) or the deep bass boost, as opposed to manually raising sub level gain directly.

Nice subs, btw
Congratulations on your new subs.

Following sub calibration, I use the Deep Bass Boost and raise the volume in the subs. This sentence was included in an e-mail from Anthem several months ago:

"The EQ is not effected by level changes. Increasing the level of some channels over others may throw off the balance ARC has calculated for your speakers."

By raising the level in the subs, I am deliberately throwing off the balance because that is how I like it. In my case, I also throw off the balance on the back and surrounds to increase the envelopment. As Anthem has said, my experience is that it doesn't hurt the EQ, which is Genesis's major contribution as far as I'm concerned.
post #227 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Last night I used REW to time align my subs with my mains and after a very steep learning curve, it was fairly easy. Is it possible or even useful to use the REW method to time align the remaining channels with the mains or is measuring and inputting their distances into Anthem sufficient?
post #228 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

REW and Genesis

Quote:
Last night I used REW to time align my subs with my mains and after a very steep learning curve, it was fairly easy. Is it possible or even useful to use the REW method to time align the remaining channels with the mains or is measuring and inputting their distances into Anthem sufficient?
You are more ambitious than I. Post calibration, I only used REW to adjust sub distance. What additional benefit did you hear from aligning subs and mains?
post #229 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You are more ambitious than I. Post calibration, I only used REW to adjust sub distance. What additional benefit did you hear from aligning subs and mains?
All I did was follow the instructions that you linked for me yesterday. That helped me determine what distance to set my subs. BTW, it turns out that even though my subs (I have two, both equidistant and symmetrical along my front wall) are 15' from MLP, I found 9' optimal without MiniDSP and 3' with MiniDSP!

I was wondering if it is possible or even necessary to use the same method to determine whether the remainder of my channels are in phase with my mains?
post #230 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quick question about deep bass boost. I have an SVS Subwoofer SB4000 with PEQ which gives the subwoofer The ability increase bass at various frequencies. Is that the same as deep bass boost?

On my subwoofer to increase explosions and rumbles etc (I just use for movies) I set the subwoofer PEQ to +3db at 63hz and also at 30hz (with Q factor 2.2, saw these settings on another post somewhere).

Thanks, just trying to understand the best and easiest way to increase the extra bass for rumbles and explosions only.

Loving my anthem and genesis. My sub integration has never been better (came from Marantz)

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN
post #231 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Standardizing Terms

Quote:
All I did was follow the instructions that you linked for me yesterday. That helped me determine what distance to set my subs. BTW, it turns out that even though my subs (I have two, both equidistant and symmetrical along my front wall) are 15' from MLP, I found 9' optimal without MiniDSP and 3' with MiniDSP!

I was wondering if it is possible or even necessary to use the same method to determine whether the remainder of my channels are in phase with my mains?
Wow. I'm more sophisticated than I realized. I didn't realize that adjusting sub distance is actually getting sub and mains in sync.
My 4 subs vary between 8 and 15 ft. Curiously to me, when I switched from adjusting phase by maximizing dbs to flattest fr, the best phase for all of them is 0. Whereas maximizing dbs gave me vastly divergent phases. Then, when I went back to check dbs, this approach actually gave me a slightly higher db. Of course, this process was actually done prior to calibration.
And, of course, I also used the quick measure to level match the subs.
Post calibration, as we've said, I adjusted sub distance.
Isn't it interesting that your optimal distance is actually 6' less than the actual and mine is 10' greater than the average.
Although this stuff is very interesting to me, the physics and acoustic theory involved seems to be beyond my level of understanding.
post #232 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

It may be very possible that I did my REW calibration incorrectly though!!! I can't wait for the time when everything is done and I can go back to simply enjoying movies!!
post #233 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Deep Bass Boost versus PEQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon SS View Post
Quick question about deep bass boost. I have an SVS Subwoofer SB4000 with PEQ which gives the subwoofer The ability increase bass at various frequencies. Is that the same as deep bass boost?

On my subwoofer to increase explosions and rumbles etc (I just use for movies) I set the subwoofer PEQ to +3db at 63hz and also at 30hz (with Q factor 2.2, saw these settings on another post somewhere).

Thanks, just trying to understand the best and easiest way to increase the extra bass for rumbles and explosions only.

Loving my anthem and genesis. My sub integration has never been better (came from Marantz)

I have 4 SVS SB16Ultras that I have been messing with for over a year. I was never able to get the bass exactly correct. I tried many variations of PEQ. Immediately after running Genesis, without any post calibration changes, my wife and I were thrilled. For us, however, a deep bass boost of +6 starting at 40hz plus adding 3 dbs in each of the subs made that little extra improvement we are all looking for. The difference between PEQ and Deep Bass Boost is that the PEQ raises the level on both sides of the center frequency. The Deep Bass Boost allows you to have a rising level from the Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency as the hzs decrease. For my sealed subs, this is just what I need.
Because your subs are also sealed, I think you might want to try the same deep bass boost to compensate for the extra dbs that ported subs provide starting at 40hz. I had ported subs for years and much prefer the sound of sealed. The deep bass boost doesn't allow me to completely compensate for the difference in dbs below 40hz, but it adds a nice heft to explosions. I am much more interested in the surround sound in tv and movies than the special effects, but I do need the special effects to be impressive.
By the way, I have 2 PC4000's for my stereo because of space limitations. I run them sealed and they are also terrific subs.
simpjr likes this.
post #234 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:

Glad you went through this task, but realize what you did was ADD DELAY to your subwoofers by DECREASING the sub distance in the Anthem. In almost all cases, you will want to REDUCE DELAY on your subs(s) so they play the signal at the same time as the mains. Since there is no way to "reduce delay", you must ADD distance to your subwoofer. Adding distance to any channel in the Anthem tells the Anthem to begin playing the signal earlier, since it now thinks that channel is further away from MLP.

I'm thinking you may have needed to start testing with a distance much greater than what your physical distance measures, possibly 30 feet and start working toward 15 feet. You will almost always get best results with a distance value greater than or equal to the physical distance. With a distance setting of 3 feet, your subs may be a complete cycle too late right now (a complete 360). And remember, the miniDSP cannot reduce delay, only add, so getting 3 feet with it in the chain and 9 feet without is going even further in the wrong direction.

As a reference, I have an AVM60, 3 subs approximately 12 feet away, and a miniDSP for the subs. I had to add 2 feet (14 feet setting in the AVM) to get correct time alignment. Your situation may vary, but the correct distance should not be significantly less than the physical distance.

post #235 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
WLC

Going back to just enjoying

Quote:
It may be very possible that I did my REW calibration incorrectly though!!! I can't wait for the time when everything is done and I can go back to simply enjoying movies!!
Last year, I set my 2.2 stereo using a minidsp with Dirac. Since I was learning what was the best house curve for me, it took several hours and iterations to get the system to our liking. I haven't touched it since nor had any desire to.
With Genesis, I believe I have now achieved that same goal. The only possible adjustment that I might find necessary is rarely using profile 2 which has only 2 dbs of Deep Bass Boost. I have only needed to do that with one show in the last several weeks.
So, finally, I've sat back and enjoyed my home theater just as I've been able to do with the stereo.
I imagine you are very close to this same nirvana.
post #236 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittermidget View Post
Glad you went through this task, but realize what you did was ADD DELAY to your subwoofers by DECREASING the sub distance in the Anthem. In almost all cases, you will want to REDUCE DELAY on your subs(s) so they play the signal at the same time as the mains. Since there is no way to "reduce delay", you must ADD distance to your subwoofer. Adding distance to any channel in the Anthem tells the Anthem to begin playing the signal earlier, since it now thinks that channel is further away from MLP.

I'm thinking you may have needed to start testing with a distance much greater than what your physical distance measures, possibly 30 feet and start working toward 15 feet. You will almost always get best results with a distance value greater than or equal to the physical distance. With a distance setting of 3 feet, your subs may be a complete cycle too late right now (a complete 360). And remember, the miniDSP cannot reduce delay, only add, so getting 3 feet with it in the chain and 9 feet without is going even further in the wrong direction.

As a reference, I have an AVM60, 3 subs approximately 12 feet away, and a miniDSP for the subs. I had to add 2 feet (14 feet setting in the AVM) to get correct time alignment. Your situation may vary, but the correct distance should not be significantly less than the physical distance.
Ugh!! I knew something was wrong! Back to the beginning!!
post #237 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
Downloading the Mac version on a PC and then transferring it to the Mac for unpacking and installations works. The irony of needed a PC for the installation of the Mac software after waiting for so long for a Mac version of ARC is a bit much though. Since I only use this PC for ARC, I was hoping to put it in a closet and rely strictly on my Mac for home theater tweaking. Maybe next release.

Irony aside, I very much appreciate the tip! I must say that the GUI looks great!
I note in the release notes for the 8972 Beta, the following:

- added notarization for mac OS builds to support mac os 10.14.5 or later

I just downloaded the current Beta (9006) to my iMac, and I was able to install it w/o any workarounds. I never tired 8972, so it is possible that the issue we have been seeing was addressed there.
post #238 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
I have 4 SVS SB16Ultras that I have been messing with for over a year. I was never able to get the bass exactly correct. I tried many variations of PEQ. Immediately after running Genesis, without any post calibration changes, my wife and I were thrilled. For us, however, a deep bass boost of +6 starting at 40hz plus adding 3 dbs in each of the subs made that little extra improvement we are all looking for. The difference between PEQ and Deep Bass Boost is that the PEQ raises the level on both sides of the center frequency. The Deep Bass Boost allows you to have a rising level from the Deep Bass Boost Center Frequency as the hzs decrease. For my sealed subs, this is just what I need.
Because your subs are also sealed, I think you might want to try the same deep bass boost to compensate for the extra dbs that ported subs provide starting at 40hz. I had ported subs for years and much prefer the sound of sealed. The deep bass boost doesn't allow me to completely compensate for the difference in dbs below 40hz, but it adds a nice heft to explosions. I am much more interested in the surround sound in tv and movies than the special effects, but I do need the special effects to be impressive.
By the way, I have 2 PC4000's for my stereo because of space limitations. I run them sealed and they are also terrific subs.
Thanks for your input. That's a big boost +6db and +3db. I had increased my sub +2db as well as the PEQ adjustments as was not sure how high to go without effecting overall sound. Will definitely try an increase as see how that sounds.

My understanding of PEQ when I looked at the graphs and curve in the SVS app it raises +3db at the centre (30hz and 63hz) and lowers down to 0db slowly each side of the centre, vs Deep Bass Boost which starts at +0db at 40Hz and increases to your +4db as the frequency decreases?

All these options are amazing but so confusing.

Thanks

HT Room: Anthem AVM60 (replaced Marantz AV7005 & Parasound Halo C2), Parasound Halo A51 & A23, Monitor Audio GR60, GR Centre, GR10, GSFX, SVS SB-4000, Sony 75X900e, PS4

Family Room: Yamaha RX-A2060, PSB Imagine T2, Imagine Centre, Imagine B, Oppo Digital BDP-80, Samsung QN65Q7CN

Last edited by Jon SS; 06-21-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #239 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[quote=WLC;58205742]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
How did yall resolve the issue with +12 dB speaker levels? Anthem tech said the new beta would fix it...I ran the measurements again and it came back with the same +12 for the main speakers.

Thanks

This still does not address the primary issue, which is why Genesis sets the speaker levels so much higher than ARC2. I don't think the reference target of 75dB changed, so if your system has not changed the power required to achieve that volume should be similar.

Using a Radio Shack SPL meter and the Disney WOW disc, I find that my system's F&R speakers achieve 75dB at a volume setting of -20 on the AVM without Genesis (and channel levels set to 0). When sending test signals via Genesis, however, the same speakers can only achieve 61dB. So there is clearly something different that Genesis is doing to attenuate the signals and then require boosts after calibration.

Last edited by anilpani; 06-21-2019 at 03:30 PM.
post #240 of 709 Old 06-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you everyone who helped guide me. I think I nailed the REW curve at 30' for sub distance and 16 is my mains. Now there's no lower output with my minidsp which is also working like a charm!! I could have never gotten here without all your kind help. Thanks!!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...582788&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2582788  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc genesis , genesis