Receiver/amp to utilize 4k, HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision HDR, IMAX Enhanced features? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bobknavs

post #1 of 5 Old 05-23-2019, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Receiver/amp to utilize 4k, HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision HDR, IMAX Enhanced features?

Please forgive the newb questions, there's been a dizzying revolution in features since I last brushed up.
I'm about to take delivery of an XBR85X900F.
I will have a 5.1 system. I have an old Onkyo TX-NR809 that I'll probably want to replace? I find its 135W @ 8 Ohms is plenty for me.
I think I want to find a nice receiver/amp for less than $1,500 which can make use of the 4k, HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision HDR, IMAX Enhanced features. I'm guessing that the TX-NR809 won't support these, but maybe these are transparent to the receiver?
I've given up on Sony including ES after a long run of failed units and currently lean toward Onkyo as having good tech at a good price, but I'm open-minded.
I think I need to make my rear channels wireless as one of the speakers will be in the middle of the room. (Yeah, power will still need to be run to this one.)
Maybe I should mention that my source material will be Cox Contour and a TBD Blu-ray player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-23-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
If you're serious about Imax Enhanced, see: https://www.imaxenhanced.com/

I don't know about Imax, but the other video formats require support in the receiver if you're doing passthrough. (Which is the normal way of setting things up, using the receiver as a hub for HDMI signals.)

The Onkyo TX-NR809 uses HDMI 1.4a. HDMI 2.0 plus HDCP 2.2 are required to pass through 4k video from most sources, like a UHD Blu Ray player.

for the receiver, maybe a Denon AVR-X4500H. It's in excess of your needs (it has 9 onboard amps, but can do 11 channels by adding an external stereo amp), but it appears to be the lowest end Denon model that is Imax Enhanced. Its normal price is a bit outside your budget. If you are fortunate enough to have access to a Fry's Electronics, I have read that it is frequently on sale there for less than $1k. Another option would be a factory refurb, as from accessories4less, or Amazon.

If you wish to do business with accessories4less, be sure to read their returns policy. (It's ungenerous.) I bought an AVR-X4300H (2016 model) from A4L two years ago, and have been happy with it. Looked and performed as new.
paulj1x likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-23-2019, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Bob! This looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I was able to find it brand new, unopened on eBay for $1,049 from a highly rated seller.

Was there anything in particular you wanted me to notice on the IMAX Enhanced website?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj1x View Post
(snip)

Was there anything in particular you wanted me to notice on the IMAX Enhanced website?
No. Just links to vendors who support Imax Enhanced, so you wouldn't have to commit the folly of relying on recommendations from me.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-24-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulj1x View Post
Thanks Bob! This looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I was able to find it brand new, unopened on eBay for $1,049 from a highly rated seller.

(snip)
Note that Denon may not offer warranty service on a unit that was not purchased from an authorized dealer.

That may not be a big deal; what's the likelihood of an AVR developing a problem within 3 years? (The retail warranty duration.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page