extending sound around house through bluetooth - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2019, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
extending sound around house through bluetooth

Not sure where to post this. But I am trying to extend the sound around the house via bluetooth. I already have the speakers. I imagine each speaker will need its own dedicated bluetooth receiver. I will also obviously need the transmitters. What is the best devices to do this? If you search online you get an endless myriad of stuff.

anybody done this before?

Thanks

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-27-2019, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Bluetooth can be pretty blinkey. It uses the crowded 2.4 GHz band, which means you can have interference or even drop-outs caused by other devices in your house, or maybe even your neighbor’s house, if it’s close enough to you.

As such, lots of Bluetooth transmitters and receivers get poor reviews on Amazon. However, the Avantree Oasis appears to be one of the more reliable ones. “Reliable” is ultimately what makes or breaks a wireless system.

Your speakers will need remote amplifiers as well as receivers.

If Bluetooth ends up not working well, you’ll have to move up to a pro-audio solution, where they’ve been doing wireless for over 30 years and have it down to a science. Such systems offer rock-solid reliability, but it will come at a price.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #3 of 6 Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951Michael View Post
Not sure where to post this. But I am trying to extend the sound around the house via bluetooth. I already have the speakers. I imagine each speaker will need its own dedicated bluetooth receiver. I will also obviously need the transmitters. What is the best devices to do this? If you search online you get an endless myriad of stuff.

anybody done this before?

Thanks

-Mike
Bluetooth has its place, but IMHO, not for audio if it can be avoided. Better is music over WiFi. Best bet I have found is to get into a wireless ecosystem. SONOS, HEOS, MUSICAST, Hi-FLY, CHROMECAST AUDIO. There are others. For doing it on a budget - although you already have speakers, I have 2 suggestions:

Both of these are simple Pre-amps

1) I have used this: Daytoan Audio's HI-FLY from Parts express: Currently their low end single device is this: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...emote--300-597 (~$40 each)

2) I have used this as well: google's chromecast audio pucks (~35 each)

Each of your current BT speakers should have an "aux in" port. take the out put from the hi-fly or chromecast device and plug it into the aux-input and those devices will sync a single program to all devices

You will control it from your phone via an app, which is better because once it is playing it will not be subject to alerts, calls, etc from your phone.

I haven't used this: but JBL bluetooth speakers supposedly can link/sync multiple units

Good luck

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.

Last edited by smithsabom; 05-27-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I assumed bluetooth as televisions these day now offer bluetooth connections for audio... phones use bluetooth for music. When you say to avoid bluetooth I assume you mean over long distances as it can have interference. So if it is nearby or close there shouldn't be a problem.

The chromecast audio looks interesting. Where do I buy? It is strange but it doesn't look available on amazon.

-Mike
post #5 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

thats to bad... google discontinued it.

-Mike
post #6 of 6 Old 05-31-2019, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I just looked at sonos. I don't like that you have to go through the app. I like to be able to select the music output as you do in bluetooth settings. It looks like chromecast audio had that. I wonder why on earth they would discontinue chromecast audio. Looks like an excellent product with no alternatives out there. I could probably buy used or of ebay but I am concerned that in the future with updates it will give me problems.

Any alternatives? thanks
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page