Thinking of buying an Onkyo 787 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By titan ii

post #1 of 5 Old 06-03-2019, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thinking of buying an Onkyo 787

My Denon AVR-X2200W's HDMI Assembly board crapped out, and as far as I can tell, it's not possible to get another, unless it's from another unit.

(Incidentally, it costs nearly $90 US to get the device back from the local certified service center, despite the fact that they are in the same state, because "the box").

So I'm in the market for a new receiver, and I'm looking at the Onkyo 787. The purpose of this post is to get the forum's thoughts on the matter.

It's not that I didn't like Denon, but a less than stellar experience trying to get it repaired makes me inclined to try a different brand. I've also used Pioneer in the past, and wouldn't mind doing so again, but I'm also looking forward to trying a different brand just for the experience.

I use an HDMI Matrix, and I know of no receivers which can double as a matrix switch with 3 or 4 outputs, so the number of HDMI inputs is not paramount for me.

I use Google Assistant for the small amount of smart home type stuff I do, and my understanding is that the device supports pairing with Google Assistant, and has a built in Chomecast for audio.

The living room that I will be moving into will be about 20 x 15 ft (6.0 x 4.5 M), with the TV at the end of a long side, so I finally have enough room for rear speakers. I like that the Onkyo has additional powered outputs for 2 Atmos speakers. Not that I own any Atmos speakers, but maybe it would be cool. I suppose 4 Atmos speakers would be overkill, so unless anyone can convince me that it's better to do 4 or 0 than 2 Atmos speakers, I see that as a positive feature.

I see that it has a pre-amp out, which I'm assuming can be used as a separate zone, even if the powered outputs are all used up in a 9.X or 7.X.2 configuration.

It's nice that it has a DAC for Zone 2. One thing that bothers me is that HDMI audio can't be multiplexed to Zone 2. I'm wondering, however, if that is really a limitation of HDCP/DRM, and thus would be common to all receivers. Then again, if you're converting to analog, should it matter? So far, I haven't put the right words in Google to find an answer for that. If a receiver supported HDMI audio on zone 2, then I may be convinced to get that instead.

All of my inputs are HDMI. I have a Cable TV STB and 3 HDMI 4k video outputs from PC GPUs, and I have 3 displays with only 1 capable of 4K. One of the displays is 24:9 @ 2560 x 1080, so even if I were to find an AVR with 3 independent HDMI outputs, I doubt I would find one that could negotiate the common EDIDs needed when I go from outputting to the just the 4K monitor to outputting to the 4K monitor as well as another one. (I could always lower the resolution on the 4K monitor first, but it's nice to not have to).

I have Onkyo Surround Sound speakers, which I found on sale and like, and which can support 130 W.

I use the radio some. Unfortunately, the device does not have an HD Radio antenna, and few do. I was also looking at some Sony AVRs, and apparently many do have HD radio antennas.

I can't think of anything else that would lend any insights into what might be a good receiver for me, but I'm sure there are other factors I"m not considering.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Carneiro; 06-03-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-03-2019, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Four Atmos speakers are not overkill and I do not believe the 787 supports 7.X.4. Seriously look into the RZ830 or RZ730.
Carneiro likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-03-2019, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan ii View Post
Four Atmos speakers are not overkill and I do not believe the 787 supports 7.X.4. Seriously look into the RZ830 or RZ730.

Thanks for the tip. It seems to make sense given the negligible price difference.

In the most extreme case I could do 7.2.4 w/ a second zone from the powered outputs, and using an external amp for the rear speakers.

Alternatively, I can ditch two of the height/top speakers for 7.2.2 and not need an external amp, while maintaining the ability to have a second zone.

Whether the 3rd and 4th atmos speakers are worth it might be a subject for another thread.

In either of the above cases, it appears Zone 3 (and 2) from the preline out would be non-functional, but that would be asking a lot.

Last edited by Carneiro; 06-03-2019 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-04-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have the 787 comimg from a Denon 2400 and am very happy nice 5.1.4 sound
post #5 of 5 Old 06-04-2019, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 138
As Titan ii said, the rz830 is only $140 more than a refurbed 787 from AC4L so no brainer. 3 yr warranty, more power, can expand to 7.2.4, zone 2/3 preouts, earc and zone 2 can play digital sources.

I have 3 zones in the living room area and I believe the rz830 will do 5.1.2 in my main zone plus zone 2/3 via preout. Thats's why I am getting one or the lx503, which is now back on sale at Frys if they have stock at my local Sac store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page