Anthem AVM-60 or Yamaha CX-A5200 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Noel Hart

post #1 of 5 Old 06-07-2019, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anthem AVM-60 or Yamaha CX-A5200?

I'm trying to decide which of these 2 processors are the best fit for me. I have no local dealers where I can audition these units side by side, so I'm looking for others' experience with these units I'm not interested in Denon or Marantz due to a bad customer experience I've recently had with them and am still dealing with.

Setup:
5.1.0 layout with Triad Silver Series speakers and Paradigm PW-2200 sub. Anthem PVA-7 amp.
Room is a family room so not much to be done with layout or additional room treatments. Ceiling mounted surrounds and center so Atmos height speakers were not recommended.

Use:
80% movies and TV, 20% music.
Will have record player with separate phono preamp. Amazon firetv and blueray player.
I'm looking for a high-quality unit that will have excellent sound quality, last 5+ years, and play well with my harmony remote. Sony 65-A8f OLED display.

My thoughts so far:
ANTHEM AVM-60
Pros:
The Anthem is very no frills which is a plus. ARC is likely a plus but I've read conflicting reports. Great 2ch quality. Matches existing amp aesthetics. Great customer support.

Cons:
Older design. Arc not as configurable as manual eq. Not as many DSP options (this is debatable whether it's really a con). Only parallel sub out, which may be an issue if I want to reuse unit in a few years in a dedicated HT room which is a possibility.

YAMAHA CX-A5200
Pros:
The Yamaha is a newer design and has updated DAC and manual PEq. Easier firmware updates and potential to decide DSD files natively if I decide to get into that technology. Has built in Bluetooth ability so I don't have to purchase another box for this. Yamaha is a bit cheaper.

Cons:
YPAO less than stellar. Would use REW to check and fine tune YPAO results. How is 2ch performance?

Last edited by Noel Hart; 06-07-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-07-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Hart View Post
I'm trying to decide which of these 2 processors are the best fit for me. I have no local dealers where I can audition these units side by side, so I'm looking for others' experience with these units I'm not interested in Denon or Marantz due to a bad customer experience I've recently had with them and am still dealing with.

Setup:
5.1.0 layout with Triad Silver Series speakers and Paradigm PW-2200 sub. Anthem PVA-7 amp.
Room is a family room so not much to be done with layout or additional room treatments. Ceiling mounted surrounds and center so Atmos height speakers were not recommended.

Use:
80% movies and TV, 20% music.
Will have record player with separate phono preamp. Amazon firetv and blueray player.
I'm looking for a high-quality unit that will have excellent sound quality, last 5+ years, and play well with my harmony remote. Sony 65-A8f OLED display.

My thoughts so far:
ANTHEM AVM-60
Pros:
The Anthem is very no frills which is a plus. ARC is likely a plus but I've read conflicting reports. Great 2ch quality. Matches existing amp aesthetics. Great customer support.

Cons:
Older design. Arc not as configurable as manual eq. Not as many DSP options (this is debatable whether it's really a con). Only parallel sub out, which may be an issue if I want to reuse unit in a few years in a dedicated HT room which is a possibility.

YAMAHA CX-A5200
Pros:
The Yamaha is a newer design and has updated DAC and manual PEq. Easier firmware updates and potential to decide DSD files natively if I decide to get into that technology. Has built in Bluetooth ability so I don't have to purchase another box for this. Yamaha is a bit cheaper.

Cons:
YPAO less than stellar. Would use REW to check and fine tune YPAO results. How is 2ch performance?
Edited the above post for clarity. Sorry for the random symbols there. Guess I shouldn't trust posting on my phone.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-07-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 193
@Noelhart I thought there was just a similar post a few days ago, but now I can't seem to find it. I suggested to him that the avm60 was awesome but older and had far less features than the a5200. He eventually got the avm60 because of arc genesis, iirc?

Anyway, if you have the money Trinnov Altitude 16 has the best room correction and 3d mapping, otherwise this is a good comparison of the a5200 and av7705 for you. https://forums.audioholics.com/forum...rision.113076/

Hope that helps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2019, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to go with the Anthem AVM-60. Still working on setting it up and going to be using ARC pretty soon.

Selling my Denon AVR-X3500H in the classifieds section now since I've gotten the AVM.
Jonas2 likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-21-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Hart View Post
I decided to go with the Anthem AVM-60. Still working on setting it up and going to be using ARC pretty soon.

Selling my Denon AVR-X3500H in the classifieds section now since I've gotten the AVM.

Good choice. ARC Genesis will outdo YPAO. Look forward to hearing about your results! And of course you've got the AVM60 and ARC Genesis threads to help you out.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page