Point me in the right direction - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Point me in the right direction

Hello all,

I ordered a LG C9 which will arrive on Saturday. I originally was going to go with either the Samsung Q90R Soundbar or Bose 700 Sound bar with sub and rear speakers. But after reading a lot of reviews I think I am better off building a surround system. So my first stop is the receiver but I'm unsure which one to go with.

The TV supports Dolby Vision, DTS-X, eARC and Dolby Atmos. I would like a receiver that can support those or at least most.

I live in an apartment and all my TV watching is done in the living room which is about 18x16, I sit approx 10 feet from the TV.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Congrats on the new TV.

Congrats on not going with one of the sound bars listed - but I suppose those are better than TV speakers...

what is your budget? how loud do you like to listen? what speaker profile do you like i.e. warm, bright, neutral, etc? have you been to a local best buy and listened to speakers there? helps to know what sound profile you like.

What other sources do you plan on using?

almost all current receivers will support what your TV can do.

Welcome to community of audio video enthusiasts!

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 122
@cpinelli1980 Welcome to the rabbit hole. Good choice avoiding bose and a soundbar. So we need some info to help. Apartment living will probably restrict you from building a massive HT living room and cutting into the ceiling for atmos speakers so...

Are you thinking 5 channel surround with 2 atmos front upfiring modules?

Would you like to listen to separate music or watch different video in a second room or different area (zone 2)?

Most important, do you have speakers in mind? As a loose general rule, you do not want to spend $1k on a receiver and $300 on HTIB speakers. So jump over to the speakers forum and get an idea of what speakers you want and how much they cost (budget). https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/

If you have a garage at the apartment and want to build some speakers then start here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/

Once you have some more info for us, come back and others will surely chime in. Of course we might help you get kicked out of that apartment on your first movie night when your sub hits 18hz and rattles the windows of the managers office in the next building over LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@cpinelli1980 Welcome to the rabbit hole. Good choice avoiding bose and a soundbar. So we need some info to help. Apartment living will probably restrict you from building a massive HT living room and cutting into the ceiling for atmos speakers so...

Are you thinking 5 channel surround with 2 atmos front upfiring modules?

Would you like to listen to separate music or watch different video in a second room or different area (zone 2)?

Most important, do you have speakers in mind? As a loose general rule, you do not want to spend $1k on a receiver and $300 on HTIB speakers. So jump over to the speakers forum and get an idea of what speakers you want and how much they cost (budget). https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/

If you have a garage at the apartment and want to build some speakers then start here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/

Once you have some more info for us, come back and others will surely chime in. Of course we might help you get kicked out of that apartment on your first movie night when your sub hits 18hz and rattles the windows of the managers office in the next building over LOL!
Thank you both for the input so far.

Music isn't a priority for me, I am concentrating on TV shows and movies.

As for how loud- I want to feel it but not the neighbors, if they do I may have to move in with one of you lol.

Budget wise I would like to be at $1000 or less for the receiver.

I will check out the speakers but ideally I would like at least 7.1.2, but being in an apartment I don't think they would like to cutting holes in the ceiling to flush mount. Is there another option?

I just want to watch a movie and have the sound be as immersive as the picture .

post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
One of the least expensive 9 channel receivers that I know of at the moment is the Onkyo TX-RZ830. It's on sale at Amazon for a pretty amazing price, not much more than the lesser TX-RZ630. It processes 11 channels, so it can be expanded to 7.1.4 with an inexpensive 2 channel (stereo) amp, like an Audiosource AMP100VS or a Dayton APA102BT.

More expensive is the Denon AVR-X4400H, on model year closeout. It includes Audyssey XT32 room equalization software rather than the proprietary software Onkyo uses. The Denon can also semi-independently equalize 2 subs, which the Onkyo cannot.

I don't know how much damage you're allowed to inflict on the walls. On-ceiling is an alternative to in-ceiling. It's also possible to mount speakers on the side walls, up near the ceiling, angled toward the listening position. (The SVS Prime Elevations can be used that way, although they are overpriced.) Front and rear elevation speakers (mounted on the front and rear walls) are a less favorable option. Least favorable are Dolby Enabled (ceiling bounce) speakers, if you have a flat ceiling within the recommended height range. (No hole in the ceiling or walls there.) https://www.dolby.com/us/en/speaker-...des/index.html
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I will check out the speakers but ideally I would like at least 7.1.2, but being in an apartment I don't think they would like to cutting holes in the ceiling to flush mount. Is there another option?
You can get upward firing speakers that bounce the sound off your ceiling to get the height effect. That gets you the x.x.2 in your setup.
If the upstairs neighbors don't like that, you can always have a simple 7.1 system and forgo Atmos.

Quote:
Budget wise I would like to be at $1000 or less for the receiver.
So you're picturing about $3k or a little more all in? Just to look at the approximate ratio of speaker to TV many people recommend?

9 channels does drive you into the upper tier. Onkyo and Pioneer have it in their lineup at that price point, but for Denon, Marantz or Yamaha you'd need to look for a sale, refurbished or used. All plausible options, just a matter of your comfort.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-13-2019, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
One of the least expensive 9 channel receivers that I know of at the moment is the Onkyo TX-RZ830. It's on sale at Amazon for a pretty amazing price, not much more than the lesser TX-RZ630. It processes 11 channels, so it can be expanded to 7.1.4 with an inexpensive 2 channel (stereo) amp, like an Audiosource AMP100VS or a Dayton APA102BT.

More expensive is the Denon AVR-X4400H, on model year closeout. It includes Audyssey XT32 room equalization software rather than the proprietary software Onkyo uses. The Denon can also semi-independently equalize 2 subs, which the Onkyo cannot.

I don't know how much damage you're allowed to inflict on the walls. On-ceiling is an alternative to in-ceiling. It's also possible to mount speakers on the side walls, up near the ceiling, angled toward the listening position. (The SVS Prime Elevations can be used that way, although they are overpriced.) Front and rear elevation speakers (mounted on the front and rear walls) are a less favorable option. Least favorable are Dolby Enabled (ceiling bounce) speakers, if you have a flat ceiling within the recommended height range. (No hole in the ceiling or walls there.) https://www.dolby.com/us/en/speaker-...des/index.html
All the options you mentioned are possible for me to do, I could mount on the ceiling as long as the holes are screw size.

Yes I was thinking about $3,000-$3,500 all in if possible. From my research and what I'm hoping for I would really like Atmos, which from what I read is what requires the upper speakers (x.x.2).

This may be a dumb question but at my price point will I see a noticeable difference from the Samsung Q90R or Bose 700?

Thanks

post #8 of 8 Old 06-13-2019, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
The Denon x4400h would be a good start for a 7.1.2 or a 5.1.4 setup. It supports all the latest sound codecs and has excellent room correction capabilities.

Last edited by m0j0; 06-13-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page