Preamp upgrade from Anthem Statement D1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-13-2019, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Preamp upgrade from Anthem Statement D1

Current setup is B&W 803's Mains, HTM1 Center, REL Strata III sub (upgrading), Anthem Statement D1, VP50 DVDO Scaler, Oppo 105D, Panasonic Plasma 65" 1080P, no plans for 4K anytime soon unless the Plasma dies

Very behind the times here I know...I used to be the guy who had to have the latest tech. It's so nice being being the curve, I love buying 7-10 ear old gear as my upgrade

90% of the use is TV and an occasional movie. I do like the occasional critical music listening at extreme volumes. So my thought was to possibly get a used Anthem D2V for likely better video scaling and audio, or possibly a newer preamp. As I am not in need of all the Multi-Channel stuff, would I gain anything with the newest Tech? It would be nice to tell Alexa to turn things on like I do with my lighting. Is it beyond that like change inputs etc etc on voice control? My stepson works at Best Buy so he gets deep discounts on the likes of Marantz and Rotel so new tech is an option. Thoughts on what to do to cure my upgrade itch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-13-2019, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Current setup is B&W 803's Mains, HTM1 Center, REL Strata III sub (upgrading), Anthem Statement D1, VP50 DVDO Scaler, Oppo 105D, Panasonic Plasma 65" 1080P, no plans for 4K anytime soon unless the Plasma dies

Very behind the times here I know...I used to be the guy who had to have the latest tech. It's so nice being being the curve, I love buying 7-10 ear old gear as my upgrade

90% of the use is TV and an occasional movie. I do like the occasional critical music listening at extreme volumes. So my thought was to possibly get a used Anthem D2V for likely better video scaling and audio, or possibly a newer preamp. As I am not in need of all the Multi-Channel stuff, would I gain anything with the newest Tech? It would be nice to tell Alexa to turn things on like I do with my lighting. Is it beyond that like change inputs etc etc on voice control? My stepson works at Best Buy so he gets deep discounts on the likes of Marantz and Rotel so new tech is an option. Thoughts on what to do to cure my upgrade itch?
FWIW, Anthem has a trade-up offer of 20% most everything.
It ends tomorrow in that you have to make the purchase by tomorrow EOB.

This isn't Nam Smokey, there are rules here!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
FWIW, Anthem has a trade-up offer of 20% most everything.
It ends tomorrow in that you have to make the purchase by tomorrow EOB.

That 20% trade up is a bust. Can likely get the same dollar amount or more in the used market.

Anyone have any comments on my 3.1 setup, is there anything to be gain by the new tech if you aren't using 11+ channels??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-13-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked: 4387
If you don't have plans to go more than 3.1 speaker setup or 4K, then there is no point on upgrading your Anthem D1. What you call the new technology, is focused on 3D object based audio formats (ATMOS, DTS-X or AURO 3D) and 4K/HDR (HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision) video presentation. To get those benefits you have to go at least up to 5.1.2 speaker setup. Get a 4K/HDR capable TV set or projector, 4K physical media source like a UHD Blue Ray player (Oppo 205 or 203 from used market, Panasonic 820, Sony X800M2) and 4K streaming sources like Apple TV 4K or Nvidia Shield TV. Otherwise it's just a waste of money.

In conclusion, to get the most out of a new processor like the Marantz AV8805, Anthem AVM60, Denon X6500H, you would need:

For Video:

1.- 4K/HDR Display (TV or Projector)
2.- 4K/HDR Sources: UHD Blue Ray player, ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield TV, Kaliedescape,
3.- 4K Content: UHD Blue Ray discs, Netflix 4K subscription, Amazon Prime Video, iTunes Movies, etc
4.- Premium Certified HDMI Cables

For Audio:

1.- Minimum 5.1.2 speaker setup (7.1.4 recommended)

I know a lot of people that focus only on the audio part while others focus mainly in the video part. I focus and put the same priority on both. I have a few friends running 7.1.4 ATMOS speakers setup with 1080p displays and 1080p sources. They put all their interest in the audio part of the new technology. I also have a few friends that own the latest Sony or LG OLED TVs and run stereo systems or a simple sound bar.

My recommendation is to upgrade to a current processor as soon you are ready to jump into the 4K/HDR world because technology change fast. If you upgrade to a current processor today then in 4 years is when you decide to upgrade to a 4K TV, most likely the processor is going to be outdated. Knowing that HDMI 2.1 is around the corner and most manufactures are releasing processors/receivers next year with HDMI 2.1, makes sense to upgrade the processor at the same time of upgrading to 4K. Just my 2 cents.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |

Last edited by enricoclaudio; 06-13-2019 at 09:55 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2795 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
That 20% trade up is a bust. Can likely get the same dollar amount or more in the used market.

Anyone have any comments on my 3.1 setup, is there anything to be gain by the new tech if you aren't using 11+ channels??

Well, you could gain better room EQ - if that matters to you. You could look for a used or open box Anthem MRX of AVM. But yeah, you'd not use a lot of it in a 3.1.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6 of 6 Old 06-16-2019, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
If you don't have plans to go more than 3.1 speaker setup or 4K, then there is no point on upgrading your Anthem D1. What you call the new technology, is focused on 3D object based audio formats (ATMOS, DTS-X or AURO 3D) and 4K/HDR (HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision) video presentation. To get those benefits you have to go at least up to 5.1.2 speaker setup. Get a 4K/HDR capable TV set or projector, 4K physical media source like a UHD Blue Ray player (Oppo 205 or 203 from used market, Panasonic 820, Sony X800M2) and 4K streaming sources like Apple TV 4K or Nvidia Shield TV. Otherwise it's just a waste of money.

In conclusion, to get the most out of a new processor like the Marantz AV8805, Anthem AVM60, Denon X6500H, you would need:

For Video:

1.- 4K/HDR Display (TV or Projector)
2.- 4K/HDR Sources: UHD Blue Ray player, ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield TV, Kaliedescape,
3.- 4K Content: UHD Blue Ray discs, Netflix 4K subscription, Amazon Prime Video, iTunes Movies, etc
4.- Premium Certified HDMI Cables

For Audio:

1.- Minimum 5.1.2 speaker setup (7.1.4 recommended)

I know a lot of people that focus only on the audio part while others focus mainly in the video part. I focus and put the same priority on both. I have a few friends running 7.1.4 ATMOS speakers setup with 1080p displays and 1080p sources. They put all their interest in the audio part of the new technology. I also have a few friends that own the latest Sony or LG OLED TVs and run stereo systems or a simple sound bar.

My recommendation is to upgrade to a current processor as soon you are ready to jump into the 4K/HDR world because technology change fast. If you upgrade to a current processor today then in 4 years is when you decide to upgrade to a 4K TV, most likely the processor is going to be outdated. Knowing that HDMI 2.1 is around the corner and most manufactures are releasing processors/receivers next year with HDMI 2.1, makes sense to upgrade the processor at the same time of upgrading to 4K. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I should focus on a good 2.1 processor with HT bypass for audio instead.

Last edited by fmzip; 06-20-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page