AVS Forum banner

Anthem ARC Topics and Questions

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike in NC 
#1 ·
I'm starting this thread as a home for questions and comments about ARC (including ARC Genesis), independent of the particular processor being used. I hope people will participate and make it a useful resource.

I'd like to start by asking a rather "meta" question. Anthem seems to be a company that does not operate its own forum (as PS Audio does), nor do they participate in independent forums (as Bryston does). Is there a good way to forward requests and suggestions to Anthem for improving ARC, or other products? I also own Bryston gear, and it's gratifying that James Tanner responds to almost any communication, even if the answer is not what one wants to hear.

A simple request for ARC would be better displays when adjusting parameters. In particular, I'd like a vertical reference line in graphs to show the max correction frequency. (The reason is to set it more accurately to a frequency where the measurement curve is very close to the target curve.)

A more complex request is for even more flexibility in adjusting target curves. This could be done by allowing drawing (ala Dirac) or by allowing the user to specify a few parametric EQ points. (The reason is to reduce ARC's corrections in the midrange while not eliminating them entirely.)

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd like to start by asking a rather "meta" question. Anthem seems to be a company that does not operate its own forum (as PS Audio does), nor do they participate in independent forums (as Bryston does). Is there a good way to forward requests and suggestions to Anthem for improving ARC, or other products? I also own Bryston gear, and it's gratifying that James Tanner responds to almost any communication, even if the answer is not what one wants to hear.

One of the techs from Anthem used to participate here, and was not treated nicely/disrespected one too many times from what I recall, so he (Nick) bailed out. Not sure if he even still works for Anthem at this point. I would simply email them your comments - I'd imagine they document user recommendations/wants, not totally sure though. Still, I'd think they'd tell you if they are interested....

#3 ·
Jonas2 - Thanks for the suggestions. Too bad about the Anthem tech. I think that without respect, online forums quickly become unworkable.

#5 ·
I've read and learned a lot from Nick's posts. I really wish he was still around here because I got my AVM60 long after he was gone.

I know there was one dufus that used to shadow him a bit, but he seemed like a competitor plant. Otherwise, I thought the discourse with him was very civil.

It would be helpful if somebody there would post here. Wise, too, given the latest happenings with Sound United. I fear a Walmart is being built in the AV industry with that horrible conglomerate taking place.

#6 ·
The stalking seems like something a sysop could have taken care of (and would have, on some fora). Is AVS Forum moderated at all?

#7 ·
#9 ·
Here is a tough question I hope someone can help me with. It's about ARC Genesis, which I'm using in a 2.2 audio system.

When you are adjusting targets and you want to get back to default values, there are two options to choose from: (a) "Auto-Detect (System-Wide Target and All Channels)" and (b) "Auto-Detect (System-Wide Target)". I can't figure out the purpose of the two.

When I asked Anthem tech support, they said that "Your crossover points, roll off, as well as the levels of all of your channels are all factors in using [method (b)]. These factors are ignored using [method (a)]."

That answer does not compute for me. Since crossover points, etc., are determined by ARC, why would ARC ignore them in any case? Why would a user ever want to ignore them? Also, why does Room Gain (and apparently only Room Gain) change between (a) and (b)?

In short, can anyone give a practical explanation, in plain English, of the intended purpose of (a) and (b) and when one would use each option?

Thanks!

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.