Anthem ARC Topics and Questions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jonas2

post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2019, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anthem ARC Topics and Questions

I'm starting this thread as a home for questions and comments about ARC (including ARC Genesis), independent of the particular processor being used. I hope people will participate and make it a useful resource.

I'd like to start by asking a rather "meta" question. Anthem seems to be a company that does not operate its own forum (as PS Audio does), nor do they participate in independent forums (as Bryston does). Is there a good way to forward requests and suggestions to Anthem for improving ARC, or other products? I also own Bryston gear, and it's gratifying that James Tanner responds to almost any communication, even if the answer is not what one wants to hear.

A simple request for ARC would be better displays when adjusting parameters. In particular, I'd like a vertical reference line in graphs to show the max correction frequency. (The reason is to set it more accurately to a frequency where the measurement curve is very close to the target curve.)

A more complex request is for even more flexibility in adjusting target curves. This could be done by allowing drawing (ala Dirac) or by allowing the user to specify a few parametric EQ points. (The reason is to reduce ARC's corrections in the midrange while not eliminating them entirely.)

Mike

Mike (Portland, Oregon -- no longer in North Carolina)

Main 2.2 system: Synology NAS, Auralic Aries G1 streamer, Anthem STR (DAC-)Preamp, Bryston 4B3 amp, Janszen Valentina mains, 2x JL Audio F112 subs. Desktop 2.1 system: JRiver Media Center, Classe CP-800 DAC-preamp, Marsh A400s power amp, Harbeth P3ESR, B&W ASW610.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
I'd like to start by asking a rather "meta" question. Anthem seems to be a company that does not operate its own forum (as PS Audio does), nor do they participate in independent forums (as Bryston does). Is there a good way to forward requests and suggestions to Anthem for improving ARC, or other products? I also own Bryston gear, and it's gratifying that James Tanner responds to almost any communication, even if the answer is not what one wants to hear.

One of the techs from Anthem used to participate here, and was not treated nicely/disrespected one too many times from what I recall, so he (Nick) bailed out. Not sure if he even still works for Anthem at this point. I would simply email them your comments - I'd imagine they document user recommendations/wants, not totally sure though. Still, I'd think they'd tell you if they are interested....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #3 of 10 Old 06-16-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
One of the techs from Anthem used to participate here, and was not treated nicely/disrespected one too many times from what I recall, so he (Nick) bailed out. Not sure if he even still works for Anthem at this point. I would simply email them your comments - I'd imagine they document user recommendations/wants, not totally sure though. Still, I'd think they'd tell you if they are interested....
Jonas2 - Thanks for the suggestions. Too bad about the Anthem tech. I think that without respect, online forums quickly become unworkable.

Main 2.2 system: Synology NAS, Auralic Aries G1 streamer, Anthem STR (DAC-)Preamp, Bryston 4B3 amp, Janszen Valentina mains, 2x JL Audio F112 subs. Desktop 2.1 system: JRiver Media Center, Classe CP-800 DAC-preamp, Marsh A400s power amp, Harbeth P3ESR, B&W ASW610.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Jonas2 - Thanks for the suggestions. Too bad about the Anthem tech. I think that without respect, online forums quickly become unworkable.
Yeah, it'd be very nice to have an Anthem tech. here with the Genesis and all. I don't think this was an Anthem thing though, it was just Nick dong it to be a nice and helpful guy. Really is a shame he got chased away. At least Anthem has great phone support otherwise, but it's a big plus when many people can have their questions answered on an open forum, answers which clearly serve I'd imagine a lot of folks with those same questions.

I do wonder - if companies had forum support, would that save them anything in the long run in tech. time on emails or phones? Maybe it'd be a wash, dunno.

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #5 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 739
I've read and learned a lot from Nick's posts. I really wish he was still around here because I got my AVM60 long after he was gone.

I know there was one dufus that used to shadow him a bit, but he seemed like a competitor plant. Otherwise, I thought the discourse with him was very civil.

It would be helpful if somebody there would post here. Wise, too, given the latest happenings with Sound United. I fear a Walmart is being built in the AV industry with that horrible conglomerate taking place.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #6 of 10 Old 06-17-2019, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

The stalking seems like something a sysop could have taken care of (and would have, on some fora). Is AVS Forum moderated at all?

post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is AVS Forum moderated at all?

Heavily....sometimes a bit too much if you ask me!
Mike in NC and MinnesotaGreg like this.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #8 of 10 Old 06-20-2019, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I do wonder - if companies had forum support, would that save them anything in the long run in tech. time on emails or phones? Maybe it'd be a wash, dunno.
A good question that I can't answer. It could reduce the same questions being asked over and over, and it could increase customer satisfaction to hear directly from the company.

When Paul McGowan of PS Audio or James Tanner of Bryston answer questions on forums, you know the buck stops with them. On the other hand, Benchmark Media closed their forum, so maybe they found more pain than gain.

My experience has been that tech support in any company tends to repeat what's in the manual. Well, 99% of what I ask is not in the manual. Often, support's answers to that sort of question are incomprehensible or just seem dubious. In a forum setting, it's harder to get away with that.

Another advantage of a forum is that customers can make suggestions, and if there is a company reaction, make the case for them. Again, good for the customer. Good for the manufacturer?

post #9 of 10 Old 06-20-2019, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a tough question I hope someone can help me with. It's about ARC Genesis, which I'm using in a 2.2 audio system.

When you are adjusting targets and you want to get back to default values, there are two options to choose from: (a) "Auto-Detect (System-Wide Target and All Channels)" and (b) "Auto-Detect (System-Wide Target)". I can't figure out the purpose of the two.

When I asked Anthem tech support, they said that "Your crossover points, roll off, as well as the levels of all of your channels are all factors in using [method (b)]. These factors are ignored using [method (a)]."

That answer does not compute for me. Since crossover points, etc., are determined by ARC, why would ARC ignore them in any case? Why would a user ever want to ignore them? Also, why does Room Gain (and apparently only Room Gain) change between (a) and (b)?

In short, can anyone give a practical explanation, in plain English, of the intended purpose of (a) and (b) and when one would use each option?

Thanks!

post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

I just noticed that there is already a thread on ARC Genesis, which predates this one:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...is-thread.html

I will not post here any more, and I suggest interested readers check out the other thread.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page