Cheap receiver/device with HDMI 2.0 and 5.1 preouts - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cheap receiver/device with HDMI 2.0 and 5.1 preouts

Does anybody have a recommendation for a cheap receiver or other device that has at least 4 HDMI 2.0 inputs and 5.1 preouts? I'd like to keep my existing 1.3b receiver for audio when I upgrade my TV to 4k. I only have a 5.1 audio setup but do want to get the lossless HDMI codecs.

I'd also ideally like a smallish form factor if possible as it needs to go in a rack and space is a little limited. Was looking at the Pioneer vsx-lx503 but would definitely prefer something smaller in terms of physical size.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 125
May look at the marantz nr series recievers .. one of the models may be what your looking for..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
May look at the marantz nr series recievers .. one of the models may be what your looking for..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Love the form factor of the NR series but unfortunately it doesn't look like they support 5.1 pre-outs. Looks like just 2.1. Otherwise it would have been perfect for what I'm looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
I don't know any slimline receiver the size of the Marantz NR line with 5.1 preouts, just 2.1. The rest of the Marantz SR line has at least 7.1 preouts so those may be your best best if you can make room.

Also, what is your definition of cheap you didn't give a budget.

What is your old 1.3b receiver? Not fully understand why you need 5.1 preouts.

Afro GT
post #5 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 294
If you find one, let me know! I have been on the same hunt as well. Closest, at least for form factor, I could find is the outlaw pre/pro 975/976... and the already mentioned Marantz NR series.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I don't know any slimline receiver the size of the Marantz NR line with 5.1 preouts, just 2.1. The rest of the Marantz SR line has at least 7.1 preouts so those may be your best best if you can make room.

Also, what is your definition of cheap you didn't give a budget.

What is your old 1.3b receiver? Not fully understand why you need 5.1 preouts.
My old receiver is a Pioneer Elite vsx-94txh. In a different thread I was told that the Class D amp of that is better than the newer models (such as the lx503) so I was better off getting something like the lx503 and using the preouts to the 94txh. I just don't know that I can fit the 7" height of that receiver (or something similar) so I was hoping for a small form factor. All the cables in my rack are professionally tied down and there are a bunch of things connected and I'm concerned if I start taking things apart I might not be able to put it all back together. There are so many cables back there on my rack (a bunch aren't used) that it is hard to see everything that is connected.

Basically it seems I have two choices. Getting a processor or a receiver and using the pre-outs to the existing receiver. This would be easier for me to set up however a slim receiver with pre-outs would be best. Or I jump in and try and replace my existing receiver. This would be a project but hoping I can get everything swapped correctly. It also would probably be a downgrade in receiver quality since my 94txh was $2k when I got it and based on the other thread is still a quality amp just with older HDMI tech.

For budget if I'm looking at a proecessor/pre-out solution I'd figure budget is about $500-700. If I replaced the receiver fully I'd probably go up to $1,000. I think I need the 5.1 pre-outs because otherwise how would I get surround sound if they were just 2.1?

One other solution I'm considering is this device - https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com...1-channel-dac/
The issue with that though is I would also need an HDMI switch since there is only one input. I would be going from switch to this device to an HDMI extender to the TV. It seems like a lot of jumps and potential HDCP issues.

Thanks for the help!
post #7 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

check these out: https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com...t/hdacc-ii-4k/

https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com...1-channel-dac/

if they combined the 2, it would one awesome pre/pro!

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
check these out: https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com...t/hdacc-ii-4k/

https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com...1-channel-dac/

if they combined the 2, it would one awesome pre/pro!
Yeah, we were discussing those on another thread. My concern is the HDCP handshake. Going from device to HDACC to 4k dac to hdmi extender is a lot of jumps. I also can't find if the HDACC supports ARC. The Outlaw 976 looks like it would do the same thing at roughly the same price of these two. It does cut out a hop of one device.

I'm still starting to feel like my best bet though may be biting the bullet and upgrading the receiver to a newer model. Doubt that I'd really hear a difference between the lx503 or 504 vs. the 94txh. Then the main thing is just dealing with the install. Maybe I can find a freelance AV guy to help me with the connectivity for a few bucks when he is off the job.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

I guess there is one other option that is by far the simplest. Don't worry about any of this and don't upgrade anything but the TV. For the native TV sources that I'm watching in 4k just use the TV speakers. All the sources back at my rack are at most 1080p so don't need the newer pieces of the puzzle yet. Not sure how much 4k viewing I'd do on Amazon and Netflix and if it is more about demo video material to see the benefits of the new 4k TV set.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_man View Post
For the native TV sources that I'm watching in 4k just use the TV speakers.
NOOOOOOO! (audiophile) Friends do n't let friends listen to TV speakers!

you could use the optical out to your old receiver...

post #11 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
NOOOOOOO! (audiophile) Friends do n't let friends listen to TV speakers!

you could use the optical out to your old receiver...
I don't have a way of passing the optical audio signal from the TV to the receiver. My receiver is in a rack in a different room from the TV.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
I don't have a way of passing the optical audio signal from the TV to the receiver. My receiver is in a rack in a different room from the TV.

Is it more than 15 meters away? It sounds like you're not comfortable doing any of the work yourself (references to unused cables and complexity of wiring), but that that point the universal answer is to hire someone to do it for you.

Do you have a logical chart of what connects to what right now?
post #13 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
sigh, it's always something... do you have cat5? : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MBDT2R1...detail_2?psc=1

post #14 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
sigh, it's always something... do you have cat5? : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MBDT2R1...detail_2?psc=1
Both of the cat6 are being used to send the HDMI signal each way (one for video game to receiver and one back to the tv)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
Is it more than 15 meters away? It sounds like you're not comfortable doing any of the work yourself (references to unused cables and complexity of wiring), but that that point the universal answer is to hire someone to do it for you.

Do you have a logical chart of what connects to what right now?
I do, its just a ton of cables at the rack which are tied down on the same spot where the receiver is. I paid a ton of money when we moved into the house 11 year ago and that company is out of business. I self support my own Crestron system so I'm reasonably knowledgeable about it all but they A/V firm did one of those make it look as neat as possible but very difficult to get access at anything without taking the whole thing apart.
------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing I will either go with the Outlaw 976 or else just jump into replacing the receiver with something like the Pioneer lx503 or 504. I'll also have to upgrade the HDMI extender to a newer one that passes [email protected]

Here are a few pics just to give you an idea what I'm dealing with. It was all terminated a lot neater but the past 10 years of me upgrading devices and making changes have taken it's toll on the wiring aesthetics...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n45k6zb5j...OpRLHjuPa?dl=0

I really do appreciate all the feedback and help.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-16-2019, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
My old receiver is a Pioneer Elite vsx-94txh. In a different thread I was told that the Class D amp of that is better than the newer models (such as the lx503) so I was better off getting something like the lx503 and using the preouts to the 94txh. I just don't know that I can fit the 7" height of that receiver (or something similar) so I was hoping for a small form factor. All the cables in my rack are professionally tied down and there are a bunch of things connected and I'm concerned if I start taking things apart I might not be able to put it all back together. There are so many cables back there on my rack (a bunch aren't used) that it is hard to see everything that is connected.

Basically it seems I have two choices. Getting a processor or a receiver and using the pre-outs to the existing receiver. This would be easier for me to set up however a slim receiver with pre-outs would be best. Or I jump in and try and replace my existing receiver. This would be a project but hoping I can get everything swapped correctly. It also would probably be a downgrade in receiver quality since my 94txh was $2k when I got it and based on the other thread is still a quality amp just with older HDMI tech.

For budget if I'm looking at a proecessor/pre-out solution I'd figure budget is about $500-700. If I replaced the receiver fully I'd probably go up to $1,000. I think I need the 5.1 pre-outs because otherwise how would I get surround sound if they were just 2.1?

One other solution I'm considering is this device - https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com...1-channel-dac/
The issue with that though is I would also need an HDMI switch since there is only one input. I would be going from switch to this device to an HDMI extender to the TV. It seems like a lot of jumps and potential HDCP issues.

Thanks for the help!
Outlaw audio makes a 7.1 processor with 4 HDMI 2.0b inputs with HDCP 2.2. It is less than 5" tall. Maybe this will do the trick?
http://outlawaudio.com/products/976.html

So does Emotiva which is less than 4" tall
https://emotiva.com/collections/proc...roducts/mc-700

Afro GT
post #16 of 16 Old 06-17-2019, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Outlaw audio makes a 7.1 processor with 4 HDMI 2.0b inputs with HDCP 2.2. It is less than 5" tall. Maybe this will do the trick?
http://outlawaudio.com/products/976.html

So does Emotiva which is less than 4" tall
https://emotiva.com/collections/proc...roducts/mc-700
Yeah, I've been looking at both of those. I can't tell if the Emotiva supports Dolby Vision or HDR-10. It does seem the Outlaw 976 does. That might be my best option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page