Emotiva raising prices because of tariffs. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #1 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Emotiva raising prices because of tariffs.

Just got an email that tariffs have gone up significantly and Emotiva is raising prices. That's a real shame and disgrace but hey at least we aren't paying them, China is. The consumer is getting the shaft here.
yanks1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
When?

The prices on their web pages seem to be unchanged, so far.
post #3 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
When?

The prices on their web pages seem to be unchanged, so far.
As of July 1st. They said they ate the first tariff increase but this time it's significantly higher.
yanks1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 2656
post #5 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 12:00 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
What a great way to spur sales!
Erod likes this.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Polk LSiM705's - Denon DCD-1500 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - (WWG1WGA)
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Polk LSiM706c Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #6 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Those tariffs have been a wonderful idea for farmers. Why not extend it to consumer products!
post #7 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3380
Short term pain, long term gain.

China has always played the long game, now that's what we need to do.

Don't buy Chinese products and avoid the increase.
post #8 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
Short term pain, long term gain.

China has always played the long game, now that's what we need to do.

Don't buy Chinese products and avoid the increase.
What a crock. I'm sure everything you buy is American made right? Don't be a hypocrite and run off to Walmart and enjoy those prices. I will bet everything you are wearing right now was not made in the US right down to your undies.
post #9 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
What a crock. I'm sure everything you buy is American made right? Don't be a hypocrite and run off to Walmart and enjoy those prices. I will bet everything you are wearing right now was not made in the US right down to your undies.
No, but I want more things made in the good ole US. I'll pay a bit to reduce the Chinese market dominance. I have no problems buying the cheapest price, but I also understand where we have leverage against the Chinese and I support using it.
post #10 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
I agree with Doc. I don't buy everything American, but I focus on trying to do so. Outlaw amps, Seaton Subs, etc. China needs to pay up.
Gooddoc, MUDCAT45 and Mike Butny like this.
post #11 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok this thread just got funny.
post #12 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
No, but I want more things made in the good ole US. I'll pay a bit to reduce the Chinese market dominance. I have no problems buying the cheapest price, but I also understand where we have leverage against the Chinese and I support using it.
Yep and agree 100%. If our past leaders weren't complete failures we wouldn't be in this situation.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.
post #13 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
Yep and agree 100%. If our past leaders weren't complete failures we wouldn't be in this situation.
It's called capitalism. You can't force manufacturers to build products in the US. The American consumer has an appetite for cheap prices. Millions of people walk into Walmart everyday because of those prices. Their dollar goes farther than it would otherwise.
ratbuddy likes this.
post #14 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I think what we have here is one sided, if China played by the rules and dropped some tariffs on U.S./Canadian goods, all would be fine. A little give and take, but it just seems lopsided. We still have some fine "Crafted in Canada" speakers and amps that we will be more than glad to sell to our brothers and sisters in the good old U.S. of A!
DaveyMac likes this.
post #15 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
I think what we have here is one sided, if China played by the rules and dropped some tariffs on U.S./Canadian goods, all would be fine. A little give and take, but it just seems lopsided. We still have some fine "Crafted in Canada" speakers and amps that we will be more than glad to sell to our brothers and sisters in the good old U.S. of A!
We have sacred cows and tariffs too. It's not one sided.
post #16 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 2463
Quote:
It's called capitalism. You can't force manufacturers to build products in the US. The American consumer has an appetite for cheap prices. Millions of people walk into Walmart everyday because of those prices. Their dollar goes farther than it would otherwise.
You are missing my point. We should have had a fair trade agreement with China from the start.
bear123 likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7013 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 monoblocks, 7.4.2 Atmos, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, 2 Volt 6 Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, 2 LaVoce 21inch Neo DIY subs and 2 PSA S3600I'S.
post #17 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
You are missing my point. We should have had a fair trade agreement with China from the start.
In the end you can't force companies to manufacture goods here. It's not how it works. The are very legit grips about China. In my opinion this approach is wrong and only hurts the US consumer.
ratbuddy and curtlots like this.
post #18 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked: 2093
This is an AV forum, not a political forum. Over the top political commentary removed. If it continues, this thread will be closed.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #19 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 03:12 PM
(insert witty title)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This thread isn't going to last long...

It's too bad about the price hikes but there are other brands other than emotiva that will still be the same price. Shoot, I just snatched up a 200w x 8 Crestron amp off eBay for a steal! There will always be other opportunities for buying. How is the quality of emotiva vs others, say like outlaw audio? I doubt anybody could tell the sonic difference listening between the two.
post #20 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedfuel15 View Post

It's too bad about the price hikes but there are other brands other than emotiva that will still be the same price. Shoot, I just snatched up a 200w x 8 Crestron amp off eBay for a steal! There will always be other opportunities for buying. How is the quality of emotiva vs others, say like outlaw audio? I doubt anybody could tell the sonic difference listening between the two.
Yeah I'm done with the political talk. It's a shame prices are going up. It's not a good thing. Hopefully it won't last too long.
post #21 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
I agree with Doc. I don't buy everything American, but I focus on trying to do so. Outlaw amps, Seaton Subs, etc. China needs to pay up.
Not sure which Outlaw amps you're referring to. Their model 5000 is "Designed in the USA by Outlaw Audio and manufactured in the P.R. China" (from the manual). I don't know whether that would be affected by the tariffs, but I expect so, or it'd be possible for Chinese products to avoid tariffs by working through US front companies.

It must be a lot easier to buy products from American companies than to buy products that are made in America (or at least not made in China). Is that good enough?
post #22 of 55 Old 06-18-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:
Not sure which Outlaw amps you're referring to. Their model 5000 is "Designed in the USA by Outlaw Audio and manufactured in the P.R. China" (from the manual). I don't know whether that would be affected by the tariffs, but I expect so, or it'd be possible for Chinese products to avoid tariffs by working through US front companies.

It must be a lot easier to buy products from American companies than to buy products that are made in America (or at least not made in China). Is that good enough?

Don't know about the Model 5000, but a lot of electronics (likely iPhones for example) would be covered by the next set of tariffs that would cover essentially all of the Chinese exports that aren't covered by the existing tariffs. Based on past import levels, these tariffs would apply to about $300 billion in imports to the U.S. Notification of these tariffs was published in the Federal Register in May, 2019 per established procedures. The deadlines for written input and signing-up to give oral input have both passed. The actual oral input is scheduled before the end of this month. This would seem to make the tariffs available for application starting about the first of July. The level of the tariffs and when they would be applied is up to the President.
post #23 of 55 Old 06-19-2019, 08:07 AM

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedfuel15 View Post

Given the current pricing, the Emotiva Gen 3 XPA's are ok for the money, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay any more for one than what they cost right now. The price increase may end up hurting them in the long run because I'm not sure they'll be considered as much of a value anymore. That's unfortunate because I like Emotiva as a company and I like to see the "mom and pop" companies succeed. I just feel they took a step back on performance with their Gen 3 line in comparison to Gen 1, and a price increase further reduces the performance per dollar ratio. It will be interesting to see what other brands do.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #24 of 55 Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Given the current pricing, the Emotiva Gen 3 XPA's are ok for the money, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay any more for one than what they cost right now. The price increase may end up hurting them in the long run because I'm not sure they'll be considered as much of a value anymore. That's unfortunate because I like Emotiva as a company and I like to see the "mom and pop" companies succeed. I just feel they took a step back on performance with their Gen 3 line in comparison to Gen 1, and a price increase further reduces the performance per dollar ratio. It will be interesting to see what other brands do.
A 5% price increase is enough to affect your perception of Emotiva products' value?

I wonder how many others would feel the same.
post #25 of 55 Old 06-19-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Don't know about the Model 5000, but a lot of electronics (likely iPhones for example) would be covered by the next set of tariffs that would cover essentially all of the Chinese exports that aren't covered by the existing tariffs. Based on past import levels, these tariffs would apply to about $300 billion in imports to the U.S. Notification of these tariffs was published in the Federal Register in May, 2019 per established procedures. The deadlines for written input and signing-up to give oral input have both passed. The actual oral input is scheduled before the end of this month. This would seem to make the tariffs available for application starting about the first of July. The level of the tariffs and when they would be applied is up to the President.
Someone knows their global trade and customs processes!

Home Theater - Video: Sony KDL-55W800B - Audio - 7.2 - AVR: Denon 2809CI, Left/Right: DT Studio Monitor, Center: DT CLR 2002, Surrounds: Sonance IS4, Subwoofers: Paradigm RVC-12SQ with X850 Amplifier - Upgrade in Progress!
post #26 of 55 Old 06-19-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Without getting into the pro or cons of tariffs the one thing that is a "fact" regardless what others may say we will be the ones who will be paying for them.
Hetfieldjames and Lp85253 like this.
post #27 of 55 Old 06-19-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Keep in mind...
The tariffs are not just on finished products but also internal components...
Especially crucial for US factories that assemble products in North America, over the last 15 years the majority of the subcomponents, metal parts are produced in China.. The tariffs are too expensive for a US factory to absorb, they will be passed on in their final product pricing to the market..

Just my $0.02...
madhuski and Lp85253 like this.
post #28 of 55 Old 06-19-2019, 11:20 AM

Liked: 99
Quote:
A 5% price increase is enough to affect your perception of Emotiva products' value?

I wonder how many others would feel the same.
I couldn't find any specific numbers in the email from Dan Laufman or the Emotiva webpage linked in his email. I just assumed based on the big production he's making it out to be that it'd be closer to 15 - 20%. So no, $50 more for an amp that's currently $1000, probably not going to bat an eye. But raise it $150 or more, I'd have to think twice about it.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #29 of 55 Old 06-19-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 156
What if it is 20% more but you get an extra two years of warranty? Would that be a good offset?

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #30 of 55 Old 06-19-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
I couldn't find any specific numbers in the email from Dan Laufman or the Emotiva webpage linked in his email. I just assumed based on the big production he's making it out to be that it'd be closer to 15 - 20%. So no, $50 more for an amp that's currently $1000, probably not going to bat an eye. But raise it $150 or more, I'd have to think twice about it.
An excerpt from Dan Laufman's post in the Emotiva Lounge...

"... 4. Products that are affected, will only see a nominal 5% increase. We have absorbed the bulk of price increase internally."

Here's the direct link to his post...

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/995502
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page