AVS Forum Special Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
I just received one of the new slim NR1200 2-Channel Marantz receivers. I have only had a day with it so I can only give my preliminary thoughts:
1. It will NOT natively play DSD files even though it is advertised as doing so. There is no DSD light. All DSD is first converted to PCM. The info button shows that the incoming signal is DSD but output goes to PCM first and it is not bitperfect after the conversion. Support level-2 does not know what type of DAC is in this model. Is it possible that they decided to use a DAC that does not play DSD?
2. This unit does not support ethernet streaming via SMB network attachment. HEOS supports dlna file streaming only. This puts you at the mercy of the dlna server capabilities. If the dlna server on your device (NAS, computer, etc.) doesn't support the file type you have, this unit won't play it even if the NR1200 supports it.
3. HDMI handshakes take a long time.
4. The amplifier seems more anemic than it should be. It does not have specs listed for 4ohm support and doesn't seem to control the bass well.
5. The unit looks good and actually has tone controls
6. Setup is very simple.
Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5