"OFFICIAL" 2019 Marantz "NR-Series"/"SR-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
"OFFICIAL" 2019 Marantz "NR-Series"/"SR-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6)

POSTS 1-6 ARE UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND WILL BE UPDATED AS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION IS RELEASED ON EACH OF THE NEW 2019 MODELS


"OFFICIAL" 2019 Marantz NR1510/NR1710/SR5014/SR6014

Sound United (parent company of Marantz) has started to release information on the new 2019 Marantz models starting with the slim line "NR" series models. The "SR" series will be announced later this summer. The 2017 SR8012 and 2018 SR7013 will continue for 2019 and will continue to be discussed in their current respective threads.

What's new or to be added via firmware update for the 2019 models?

- Note that all the 2019 models are still HDMI 2.0b (ie. HDMI 2.1 models won't be released until 2020)
- HDCP 2.3 - all inputs
- eARC - on board (as opposed to the 2017 SR6012/SR7012 and 2018 SR6013/SR7013/SR8012 models previously receiving it via a firmware update)(Note an HDMI w/Ethernet cable must be used between the AVR and eARC capable TV)
- USB thumb drive requirements - NTFS added
- Airplay - ON/OFF setting
- OvrC smart remote management
- HDMI Input Mode setting connected to the HDMI Input Assign menu
- HDMI Multiple Input Assign (allow to assign multiple audio sources to the same video source)
- ALL ZONE STEREO - ON/OFF added to Smart Select button

- Added via future firmware update:
- Dolby Height Virtualizer (S750H and higher; only available when sound mode selected includes "+ Dolby Surround")
- Bluetooth transmit to single pair of headphones/hearing aids
- HDMI Audio Input rename (when input available from source player)


What was dropped from the 2018 models?
- No longer able to apply DTS Neural:X on DD audio but still able to use Dolby Surround on DTS audio

----------------------

Notes:
1. Although all models feature two subwoofer pre-outs, only the SR6014 has independent subwoofer volume control of each subwoofer.
2. None of these models support Front Wide speakers.


Marantz model web page info and Owner manual links
- SOME LINKS ARE NOT ACTIVE AT THIS TIME

- NR1510 - MSRP $599, 5.2 CH, 50W, HDMI In/Out (6/1) - avail May
This is a slim line model that features Audyssey MultEQ (6 mic positions), networking, Web Control, DSD via USB/network source, speaker posts, 32 bit DAC, and an on board Denon HEOS module (allows streaming of HEOS app music services to the AVR as well as streaming PCM 2.0 source from the AVR to HEOS wireless speakers set up around the home). Firmware updates are installed via a network connection or USB. There are FL/FR main zone pre-outs but no Zone 2 pre-outs. PHONO input included.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=NR1510

http://manuals.marantz.com/NR1510/NA/EN/

- NR1710 - MSRP $749, 7.2 CH, 50W, HDMI In/Out (6/1) - avail May
Upgrading from the NR1510 adds two more audio channels for a 7CH model, Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.2, DTS:X. It features 5.1 + Zone 2 capability using the Surround Back speaker posts for Zone 2 and also adds Zone 2 pre-outs using an external amp. DTS Virtual:X (simulates height audio when using a 5.1 or 7.1 configuration but Audyssey is disabled). Lowest model that works with the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android, $20) to fine tune the Audyssey speaker/sub calibration.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=NR1710

http://manuals.marantz.com/NR1710/NA/EN/


- SR5014 - MSRP $999, 7.2 CH, 100W, HDMI In/Out (8/2) - avail July
Upgrading from the NR1710 adds HDAM Pre-Amp modules (provides for better 2CH music listening), 7.2 Main zone pre-outs, 7.1 multi analog inputs, a second Main zone HDMI monitor output and the better version of Audyssey MultEQ XT.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=SR5014

http://manuals.marantz.com/SR5014/NA/EN/


- SR6014 - MSRP $1499, 9.2 CH, 110W, HDMI In/Out (8/3) - avail July
Upgrading from the SR5014 adds a Zone 2 HDMI monitor output, the best version of Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Audyssey LFC, Audyssey Sub EQ HT (dual sub level/delay), eARC, and the ability to expand to 11CH (ie. 7.2.4) by using a 2CH external amp. DTS Virtual:X (simulates height audio when using a 5.1 or 7.1 configuration and although Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is NOT disabled, all other Audyssey features are disabled). Lowest model that can pass PCM 2.0 audio from an HDMI source to Zone 2 and to HEOS wireless speakers.

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=SR6014

http://manuals.marantz.com/SR6014/NA/EN/

-
Welcome to the Official 2019 Marantz AVR-NR/SR models thread (NR1510/NR1710/SR5014/SR6014)


If this is your first visit to this thread, and you want to ask a question about one of the 2019 Marantz AVR models, either one that you own or one that you are thinking of buying, please provide the following information to allow for better responses to your questions:

(a) Identify the model number in question (eg. SR5014), as there are 4 different models (NR and SR series) discussed in this thread. Also if you have not posted in several days since your initial post, please post the model # again so we don't have to back track to learn which model you are referencing.

(b) Identify what you've done so far to troubleshoot the issue and what the front panel is displaying if an audio issue, (also take a few minutes to review the Troubleshooting section provided in post 3 as your question may already be answered there,

(c) Unless you indicate what settings have been changed, the assumption will be that all settings are on the factory defaults (ie. usually "Auto"),

(d) If the advice given seems to simplistic or obvious, don't shoot the advice giver as we have no idea of the level of your technical understanding,

(e) If there is no response to your post, it either means no one knows the answer or it has simply been overlooked so please repost if you still haven't resolved your issue,

(f) If you post a question in this thread and are given advice and either it or some other advice (eg. Marantz phone support, Marantz "Ask a Question" email support) resolves your issue, have the common courtesy to post back what solution resolved your issue so others can learn from it as well,

(g) If the issue is not user error or not just a misunderstanding on how the AVR works, please call Marantz support so the issue is registered,

(h) When responding to another post that is providing assistance to you, please press the "Quote" button in the lower right corner of that other poster's response so that response is also listed with your new post to provide some context, and,

(i) If you don't live in either the USA or Canada, please either indicate your country location in your profile or your post as some Marantz models from other regions in the world differ in configuration from their USA/Canada counterparts otherwise responses made in this thread are in regards to the USA/Canada models only.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-11-2019 at 01:47 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 06-18-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 06-18-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
How do I reset the microprocessor or do a network reset on my 2019 Marantz NR/SR series AVR?

When the AVR is acting up or doing something strange, try the following steps before resorting to a microprocessor reset:

1. "Restart" - set the AVR to Standby and press/hold the power ON button until "Restart" is displayed on the front panel.

If no joy, then ...

2. Soft reset - set the AVR to Standby and unplug the power cord for about 10 minutes, then plug back in the power cord and turn ON.

If neither of the above resolves the issue, then you'll need to either do a network reset (if network related) or a microprocessor reset. You'll also want to reset the microprocessor before doing anything else if you purchased the AVR as an "open box" or demo/used/refurb unit to ensure all settings are returned to their original factory defaults. Prior to doing a reset, you can SAVE the config file to a USB thumb drive so it can be LOADed after doing the reset (SETUP - GENERAL - SAVE&LOAD).


Network Reset (“Amp Assign”, “Speaker Config.” and “Video” settings are not reset)

NR1510 - p. 201

1 - Turn on the power using ON/STANDBY on the front panel.
2 - Select the HEOS Music Source
3 - Simultaneously press "TUNER PRESET CH +" and "DIMMER" on the front panel. Release your fingers when "Network Reset" is displayed on the front panel. "Completed" will display when the reset has completed.

-----------------------

NR1710 - p. 244

1 - Turn on the power using ON/STANDBY on the front panel.
2 - Select the HEOS Music Source
3 - Simultaneously press "ZONE2 SOURCE" and "DIMMER" on the front panel. Release your fingers when "Network Reset" is displayed on the front panel. "Completed" will display when the reset has completed.

-----------------------

SR5014 - p.
SR6014 - p.

1 - Turn on the power using ON/STANDBY on the front panel.
2 - Select the HEOS Music Source
3 - Simultaneously press "TUNER PRESET CH -" and "DIMMER" on the front panel. Release your fingers when "Network Reset" is displayed on the front panel. "Completed" will display when the reset has completed.

-------------


Microprocessor Reset (aka "Reset to original factory settings" although does not roll back the firmware)

Note: On all models, if you are able to access the menu, new this year, you can also do the microprocessor reset by going to SETUP - GENERAL - RESET

NR1510 - p. 200


1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Press ON/STANDBY while simultaneously pressing the "TUNER PRESET CH+" and "M-DAX"
3 - Remove your fingers when "Initialized" appears on the front panel display.

-------------------------

NR1710 - p. 243
SR5014 - p.
SR6014 - p.


1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Press ON/STANDBY while simultaneously pressing the "ZONE2 SOURCE" and "M-DAX"
3 - Remove your fingers when "Initialized" appears on the front panel display.

-------------------------

Factory Restore (restore to original factory firmware version)

1 - Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
2 - Simultaneously press/hold the: NR1510/NR1710 - "STATUS" and "PURE DIRECT"; SR5014/SR6014 - "M-DAX" and "TUNER PRESET CH +" buttons on the front panel and then press the ON/STANDBY button on the front panel. This procedure will take 15-20 minutes to restore to the original factory firmware.

--------------------

** NOTES:
(1) Prior to resetting the microprocessor, you can SAVE the config/settings (to include Audyssey settings) to a USB thumb drive using the SETUP - GENERAL - SAVE & LOAD setting.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-18-2019 at 10:16 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 06-18-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
Firmware Change log Information

(1) Firmware updates for all 2019 models should be available via the Marantz website and can be downloaded and installed via USB thumb drive. You will need to enter the serial number of the AVR at the website page to obtain the update.

(2) Firmware updates can also be installed by the owner via an internet connection to the Marantz servers. Although it's not necessary to update your unit if you are not experiencing any problems, it's generally a good idea to keep it updated so that if there are any problems with the update the unit will still be covered under warranty. The update process generally doesn't take more than 30 minutes once the download begins and also generally does not erase any settings, although it's always a good idea to SAVE the config.avr file using the Setup - General - SAVE & LOAD - SAVE feature prior to doing the update just in case. Note that if the update process is stuck on "Authenticating", ensure a source other than NET/USB is selected and just let it continue for up to a few hours and it should eventually begin the update process (although note that Denon's servers have been known to crash the first day of release due to the overload, so you may want to wait a few days before trying again). One prior model year owner found that disconnecting ALL sources to the AVR enabled the unit to connect to the Denon servers and update the firmware when the update process had previously been unsuccessful.

Other tips if having problems with the update include setting "Network Control" to OFF in Standby, cycling the DHCP setting on the AVR, or using a static IP address.

During the update, the AVR will go into Standby mode, but will continue to update status on the front panel display. If the update seems to be hung up (ie. goes beyond 1 hour) ... power the AVR to Standby, unplug it for a few minutes and power back on and attempt the update again. If the update fails to load, check the network environment (ie. reset the router, replace the router with a more current/robust model, or ideally wire directly to the router if connecting wirelessly) If still not having any luck with the update, perform a Network Reset as described in post 3 above. You may also want to consider purchasing a long (100'+) Cat5/6 cable for network updates only for a higher probability of a successful install.

You will be notified automatically when there is a firmware update when the AVR is turned ON as long as the Notification Update setting is set to ON (factory default). For more information refer to Setup - General - Firmware - Notifications -Update in the Owner's manual. To manually check for an update, refer to Setup - General - Firmware - Update - Check for Update.

(3) What is my unit's current firmware version? The current firmware version can be determined from the AVR's menu: Setup --> General --> Information --> Firmware Version.


Firmware change log date/info:


SR6014


SR5014


NR1710


NR1510


** NOTES:
(1) The change log information above is provided as is, without any further explanation and only when I am able to obtain it. If the information listed above doesn't make sense, please don't ask for clarification, as I have none.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-18-2019 at 10:01 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 06-18-2019, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
3D Immersive Audio formats:


Dolby Atmos + Dolby Surround upmixer (aka DSU; simulates audio to height/ceiling speakers from non-Atmos BD/DVDs)

The NR1710 and SR5014 are both capable of Atmos 5.2.2 (ie. 2 height speaker maximum). You will have the choice of selecting the specific speaker pair to be used as the Atmos Height speakers (except Top Rear or Rear Height which is only selectable on the SR6014). If able to install in-ceiling or on-ceiling mounted speakers, the best location will be "Top Middle" either directly above your seated position or slightly forward of the seated position. Note that although the SR5014 has main zone pre-outs, it is not possible to expand the SR5014 beyond operating 7 speakers (ie. 5.1.2 maximum).





Notes:
(1) Speaker abbreviations used in this thread: Subwoofer (SW), Front L/R (FL/FR), Center (C), Surround L/R (SL/SR); Surround Back L/R (SBL/SBR); Front Height L/R (FHL/FHR); Top Front L/R (TFL/TFR); Top Middle L/R (TML/TMR); Top Rear L/R (TRL/TRR); Rear Height L/R (RHL/RHR), Front Dolby L/R (FDL/FDR); Surround Dolby L/R (SDL/SDR); Rear Dolby L/R (RDL/RDR).

Note the Top Rear, Rear Height, and Rear Dolby locations are only available on the SR6014 as this is the only 2019 model capable of 4 Height speakers whereas the lower models are only capable of 2 Height speakers.

(2) If you only have a 2.0/2.1/3.0/3.1 setup, you can still add 2 height (FH, TF, TM, or DF) speakers for a 2.X.2 or 3.X.2 Atmos only setup (ie. DTS:X requires 5.1.2 setup). However, when adding 2 Surround Back speakers you must first have a 5.1 setup, although you can simply move the "side surround" speakers behind you but still connect them to the "Surround" speaker posts.

(3) If you already have in-ceiling "side" surrounds for a 5.1 setup, you can do a 3.1.2 setup configuring the ceiling surrounds as Top Middle or with a 5.1.2 setup, if you can add (a) Front Heights (front wall mounted), (b) Top Fronts (in-ceiling or ceiling mounted a few feet forward and above the FL/FR speakers), or (c) Front Dolby (upward firing speakers placed on top of (or near) the FL/FR speakers. Yet another option would be to add some floor side surrounds and configure the current ceiling speakers as Top Middle.

(4) For more detailed questions and additional information on Dolby Atmos, please refer to the Official Dolby Atmos thread.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 06-18-2019 at 09:57 AM.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 07-12-2019, 10:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just picked up a NR1710 today. This is going in a sunroom and I love, love, love how small and discrete it is. I did run into an issue with Audessey setup: Upon initial powerup, when I connected the microphone and ran the setup, it gave me an error message saying that it couldn't find any speakers (although the test tone played very loudly from the left speaker 3 times, at increasing volumes). So then I did a software update and re-ran the Audessey setup, it picked up my Left Speaker, and played the test tone in the Right speaker, but at the end of the first pass of calibration, it said "right speaker not detected".



I only have two speakers connected to it. I'm wondering if this is just a quirk that'll be resolved via a software update, or something more. I can't imagine it would be a serious issue. I have a Marantz 8801 AVP which also has Audessey and I never once encountered this issue.



Doesn't work: Apple HomeKit integration. I followed the directions on marantz's site to add the receiver to HomeKit. It shows up on the HomeKit screen but then it just says "unable to add accessory".



Doesn't work: AirPlay 2. I tried to play a Youtube video back using the Youtube app and the Airplay button. It said I needed to enter a code displayed on the receiver to get it to pair/work, but no code was ever sent.


Annoyance: whenever you want to change the volume, it shows the regular marantz volume, and another bar graph on the side called "ECO" which shows some stupid green bar graph thing. I turned off ECO mode or whatever, and I just want the regular volume control bar graph, but I cant get it to just show that instead of all that other crap.





I assume because this model is brand new, it'll take some time for these features to work, I guess maybe I'm just being impatient. Besides that, it looks great, sounds great, which I guess is the most important part.

Last edited by ou8thissn1; 07-12-2019 at 11:03 PM.
ou8thissn1 is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 07-13-2019, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
Just picked up a NR1710 today. This is going in a sunroom and I love, love, love how small and discrete it is. I did run into an issue with Audessey setup: Upon initial powerup, when I connected the microphone and ran the setup, it gave me an error message saying that it couldn't find any speakers (although the test tone played very loudly from the left speaker 3 times, at increasing volumes). So then I did a software update and re-ran the Audessey setup, it picked up my Left Speaker, and played the test tone in the Right speaker, but at the end of the first pass of calibration, it said "right speaker not detected".

I only have two speakers connected to it. I'm wondering if this is just a quirk that'll be resolved via a software update, or something more. I can't imagine it would be a serious issue. I have a Marantz 8801 AVP which also has Audessey and I never once encountered this issue.

Doesn't work: Apple HomeKit integration. I followed the directions on marantz's site to add the receiver to HomeKit. It shows up on the HomeKit screen but then it just says "unable to add accessory".

Doesn't work: AirPlay 2. I tried to play a Youtube video back using the Youtube app and the Airplay button. It said I needed to enter a code displayed on the receiver to get it to pair/work, but no code was ever sent.

Annoyance: whenever you want to change the volume, it shows the regular marantz volume, and another bar graph on the side called "ECO" which shows some stupid green bar graph thing. I turned off ECO mode or whatever, and I just want the regular volume control bar graph, but I cant get it to just show that instead of all that other crap.

I assume because this model is brand new, it'll take some time for these features to work, I guess maybe I'm just being impatient. Besides that, it looks great, sounds great, which I guess is the most important part.
Could be a defective microphone. Contact Marantz for a replacement.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 07-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Could be a defective microphone. Contact Marantz for a replacement.



I just went ahead and tried the microphone that came with my 8801. I got the exact same error message about the Right Front speaker not being recognized. Coupled with all the other software issues I found last night, I have to suspect this isn't a hardware issue or a bad mic.



What's worse is that Marantz didn't ship a manual, and gave a link to their website, and no manual exists for this receiver as of yet.



I mean what should matter is the sound, and it does sound great, but I was also very excited to try out the AirPlay 2, HomeKit and other features for which there are logos and stickers all over the box but dont work yet
ou8thissn1 is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 07-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
With this unit, I should be able to AirPlay music just to the Zone 2 speakers, right? I'm in the process of installing the zone two speakers to our patio so I cannot test this as of yet. I was able to just open up my phone and push the AirPlay icon and have it turn on the marantz and start playback in the Main Zone for my music.



I remember the 8801 had a limitation that only analog sources could be played back in Zone 2, and the manual for the NR1709 also has a statement saying it's Zone 2 cannot be played back with HDMI, or COAX sources. But they dont say anything about AirPlay, one way or the other.
ou8thissn1 is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 07-13-2019, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
I just went ahead and tried the microphone that came with my 8801. I got the exact same error message about the Right Front speaker not being recognized. Coupled with all the other software issues I found last night, I have to suspect this isn't a hardware issue or a bad mic.

What's worse is that Marantz didn't ship a manual, and gave a link to their website, and no manual exists for this receiver as of yet.

I mean what should matter is the sound, and it does sound great, but I was also very excited to try out the AirPlay 2, HomeKit and other features for which there are logos and stickers all over the box but dont work yet
The AV8801 uses the same mic so it is not a mic issue. D+M stopped shipping hard copy manuals over 5 years ago. The on line version should be available soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
With this unit, I should be able to AirPlay music just to the Zone 2 speakers, right? I'm in the process of installing the zone two speakers to our patio so I cannot test this as of yet. I was able to just open up my phone and push the AirPlay icon and have it turn on the marantz and start playback in the Main Zone for my music.

I remember the 8801 had a limitation that only analog sources could be played back in Zone 2, and the manual for the NR1709 also has a statement saying it's Zone 2 cannot be played back with HDMI, or COAX sources. But they dont say anything about AirPlay, one way or the other.
Airplay has always worked on Zone 2 models, but first it hijacks the main zone and only then can you select it to Zone 2 and then reselect the original source playing in the main zone, or turn it off if it wasn't being used.
ou8thissn1 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 07-13-2019, 02:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
With this latest model, do you think I will be able to listen to Apple TV hdmi audio in zone 2?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ou8thissn1 is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 07-13-2019, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
With this latest model, do you think I will be able to listen to Apple TV hdmi audio in zone 2?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not independent from Zone 1, no, which has been and continues to be only available on the SR6000 series and higher models. You can, however, select ALL ZONE STEREO which will then allow you to play the same HDMI stereo source in both the main and Zone 2.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 07-13-2019, 05:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Not independent from Zone 1, no, which has been and continues to be only available on the SR6000 series and higher models. You can, however, select ALL ZONE STEREO which will then allow you to play the same HDMI stereo source in both the main and Zone 2.


I don’t need it to be independent, in fact all zone stereo is what I was wondering if it was possible. Thank you for explaining that.

I don’t believe that would have been possible with my 8801


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ou8thissn1 is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 07-14-2019, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
I don’t need it to be independent, in fact all zone stereo is what I was wondering if it was possible. Thank you for explaining that.

I don’t believe that would have been possible with my 8801


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it is possible (see p. 82 of the AV8801 Owner's manual).
ou8thissn1 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yes, it is possible (see p. 82 of the AV8801 Owner's manual).



So if you can indeed have stereo sound being played back in multiple zones from digital sources like HDMI, then why is there a limitation preventing you from independently playing a digital source back in Zone 2 or Zone 3? I didnt at all know my 8801 was also capable of this.
ou8thissn1 is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 07-14-2019, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
So if you can indeed have stereo sound being played back in multiple zones from digital sources like HDMI, then why is there a limitation preventing you from independently playing a digital source back in Zone 2 or Zone 3? I didnt at all know my 8801 was also capable of this.
Simply because the lower level models (eg. NR1710) don't have a dedicated DAC for Zone 2. The 2013 SR6000/AV7000 and higher models (ie. which excludes the 2012 AV8801) are able to play a 2CH HDMI source independently to Zone 2.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
biliam1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Undiscovered Country
Posts: 1,907
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 394
@jdsmoothie


First off, thanks again for doing these threads. Big help to the community. Also kinda surprised it hasn't got more posts yet.


When looking over the specs of the new X014 series, I see you mention it will now have Dolby Height Virtualizer. I may have missed it, but what's the difference between that vs Dolby Surround Upmixer?


And since you stated "No longer able to apply DTS Neural:X on DD audio" for the new models, will that be taken away from the '18 X013 models?


Lastly, what's the deal with HDCP 2.3? My understanding is that it was to be used with HDMI 2.1. But these don't support that. So what is the point of adding that? What will be using that?


Sucks there won't be a 7014 model released this year. But it appears that it's a holdover year for receivers just like TV's. Not too much worthwhile in the specs/advancement department.



Thanks!
biliam1982 is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 07-19-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post
@jdsmoothie


First off, thanks again for doing these threads. Big help to the community. Also kinda surprised it hasn't got more posts yet.


When looking over the specs of the new X014 series, I see you mention it will now have Dolby Height Virtualizer. I may have missed it, but what's the difference between that vs Dolby Surround Upmixer?


And since you stated "No longer able to apply DTS Neural:X on DD audio" for the new models, will that be taken away from the '18 X013 models?


Lastly, what's the deal with HDCP 2.3? My understanding is that it was to be used with HDMI 2.1. But these don't support that. So what is the point of adding that? What will be using that?


Sucks there won't be a 7014 model released this year. But it appears that it's a holdover year for receivers just like TV's. Not too much worthwhile in the specs/advancement department.



Thanks!
1. Dolby Height Virtualizer simulates "height" audio when there are no height speakers. DSU sends audio to actual height speakers.
2. AFAIK, not to be taken away from 2018 or earlier models.
3. Not sure what it will be used for until actual HDMI 2.1 devices are released.
biliam1982 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 07-20-2019, 06:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Marantz finally posted the instruction manual for the 1710. In the manual it lists the amp rating as 70wpc but all the other literature says 50wpc. I've also been trying to set it up with HomeKit and sometimes it connects and sometimes it gives me an error. Is there any sort of timeline for this product to get out of the 'beta' stage and have all of these features enabled?
ou8thissn1 is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 07-20-2019, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
Marantz finally posted the instruction manual for the 1710. In the manual it lists the amp rating as 70wpc but all the other literature says 50wpc. I've also been trying to set it up with HomeKit and sometimes it connects and sometimes it gives me an error. Is there any sort of timeline for this product to get out of the 'beta' stage and have all of these features enabled?
All of the "NR" models are 50W into an 8-ohm speaker and 70W into a 6-ohm speaker. Try doing the "Network Reset" as noted in post 4.
ou8thissn1 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 07-20-2019, 06:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try doing the "Network Reset" as noted in post 4.

I did the network reset procedure, but it didnt change anything. The HomeKit app still doesn't recognize the 1710. I wonder if this feature is working as it should on the 1510
ou8thissn1 is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 07-21-2019, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
I did the network reset procedure, but it didnt change anything. The HomeKit app still doesn't recognize the 1710. I wonder if this feature is working as it should on the 1510
See the procedure link --> https://denon.custhelp.com/app/answe...-heos-built-in
ou8thissn1 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 07-21-2019, 03:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Disconnecting the unit from ethernet and connecting to our Wi-Fi, I was able to add it to HomeKit. It now shows up as an icon in my Home app and works as it should. sorta weird that it didn't want to be set up when I had it connected over ethernet. I have since disconnected the Wi-Fi and I'm back on ethernet and it still works fine. Thank you for the help! Now if I can only get Audyssey to work, I'd be over the moon.

Last edited by ou8thissn1; 07-21-2019 at 05:53 AM.
ou8thissn1 is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 07-21-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22042 Post(s)
Liked: 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou8thissn1 View Post
Disconnecting the unit from ethernet and connecting to our Wi-Fi, I was able to add it to HomeKit. It now shows up as an icon in my Home app and works as it should. sorta weird that it didn't want to be set up when I had it connected over ethernet. I have since disconnected the Wi-Fi and I'm back on ethernet and it still works fine. Thank you for the help! Now if I can only get Audyssey to work, I'd be over the moon.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off