older yamaha (rx-v471) "straight" vs "direct" sound/balance issues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Worf

post #1 of 7 Old 06-19-2019, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
older yamaha (rx-v471) "straight" vs "direct" sound/balance issues

i have an older yamaha receiver that i use for home audio, too.

i used to use it (for 2ch stereo) in straight mode, and it seemed fine.

recently i upgraded speakers and got a new dac, and i'm puzzled by the difference between the two. my assumption was that the straight mode bypassed all the internal dsp (naive, i know).

but what i was surprised to hear was that the actual balance changed. the entire spatial quality in the direct mode is much wider than the straight mode.

luckily the new speakers i got can handle a good amount of bass, but i'd still like to use the sub to take some of the load off the bookshelves.

straight mode (on this receiver) is supposed to be the least effected by the internal dsp. is there another mode i am overlooking?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Straight mode does regular processing. It just doesn't do fancy DSP modes or scenes. Everything is engaged - bass management, room correction, etc. The analog signal is digitized and DSP does required processing. Effects DSP are disabled.

Direct mode turns off all the processing it can to achieve a cleanest signal path. Yamahas do have an analog bypass path, so analog inputs bypass the digital circuits and go from the input directly to the amps. Because there is no digital processing, room correction doesn't happen, nor stuff like bass management.
johng likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-20-2019, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Straight mode does regular processing. It just doesn't do fancy DSP modes or scenes. Everything is engaged - bass management, room correction, etc. The analog signal is digitized and DSP does required processing. Effects DSP are disabled.

Direct mode turns off all the processing it can to achieve a cleanest signal path. Yamahas do have an analog bypass path, so analog inputs bypass the digital circuits and go from the input directly to the amps. Because there is no digital processing, room correction doesn't happen, nor stuff like bass management.
thanks, and i get what is going on. i guess i just don't understand how sending the signal through the dsp (albeit, at the least amount) can alter the actual balance of the signal--in the stereo mix.

the overall sound is sent more to the center of the stereo field.

the direct output is definitely better, but i'll just have to deal with no sub in that setting.

maybe i'll need to hunt for a smallish integrated amp, just for 2.1 audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-20-2019, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Well, by effects DSP I mean things like reverb and such that turn the sound into sounding like a cathedral and such. Straight basically means those are disabled.

2channel straight can have upmixers like Dolby pro logic or Dolby surround to such enabled to use the surround speakers more, which will generally tend to move sound towards the center channel. You would need to make sure the surround mode is set to stereo if you just wanted stereo.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-21-2019, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Well, by effects DSP I mean things like reverb and such that turn the sound into sounding like a cathedral and such. Straight basically means those are disabled.

2channel straight can have upmixers like Dolby pro logic or Dolby surround to such enabled to use the surround speakers more, which will generally tend to move sound towards the center channel. You would need to make sure the surround mode is set to stereo if you just wanted stereo.
it is set to 2 channel (no dolby/dts, etc). the sound signature is just different playing audio straight, vs direct. even though the sub is set (with a very low 40hz cutoff), the overall tone is much darker in the low to high mids.

i am also plugging in via my outboard dac (smsl su-8) via rca connections. i happen to have it plugged into av4. i wonder if it would be any different trying another av channel, but i doubt it.

before i moved, i plugged audio in via toslink and let the onboard dac do the conversion. i didn't notice as much a change in sound then, but the new dac (and new speakers) sound a lot better via "direct:.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-22-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
You’re confusing Straight (where channels are sent to the appropriate speakers, no upmixing or DSP nonsense, but tone, PEQ, room correction adjustments still apply) with Pure Direct (bypasses much of the circuits for a true “pass through” of the input). Your manual will have more info.

Please look for the dedicated owner threads for your model/series, often called something like “Yamaha *71 owners thread," you'll get better visibility with fellow Yamaha owners. E.g.

* https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...twork-avr.html

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 06-23-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-22-2019, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Update: so i realized that some of the "issues" i had were due to the ypao settings.

i had never run that before at my old place. i went into the audio setup menus and manually changed a few settings, and now the sound is 95% of what it is in direct mode.

for now, that'll do.

thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page