• 2 Post By eriksells916
  • 1 Post By Jonas2

post #1 of 7 Old 06-22-2019, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Separate Power Amp for LCR?

I have the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers and a Denon AVR-X4400H. I also have the dolby atmos speaker add ons for a 5.1.4 setup. A friend told me I should get a separate power amp to get the most out of my speakers especially the front three. I can get an Acurus a200x3 at 200wpc or a Speakercraft bb1265 130wpc bridged. Will I notice much difference with this for the fronts? I use mainly for home theater. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-22-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy07 View Post
I have the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers and a Denon AVR-X4400H. I also have the dolby atmos speaker add ons for a 5.1.4 setup. A friend told me I should get a separate power amp to get the most out of my speakers especially the front three. I can get an Acurus a200x3 at 200wpc or a Speakercraft bb1265 130wpc bridged. Will I notice much difference with this for the fronts? I use mainly for home theater. Thank you.

Probably not, it really depends on your listening preferences in general. Unless you're in a large space, with some good distance between you and the speakers, or low-sensitivity speakers, cranking the volume way, way up, AVRs generally can do a good job of powering everything, just maybe not in the extremes. Unless your listening is driving the receiver into clipping / speakers distorting, I don't know that you're going to notice an appreciable (if at all) difference as far as sound quality is concerned. Some folks do report improvements when adding an amp, many do not. A separate amp for the front 3 will certainly reduce the load on the receiver, so it can't hurt - but you do then need to accommodate another piece of equipment (space, plug, heat, etc....). You can always try it, but I'd keep an avenue open for returning the amp if you don't notice anything appreciable in improved performance.
zeuspaul, fill35U and spacecowboy like this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #3 of 7 Old 06-22-2019, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Probably not, it really depends on your listening preferences in general. Unless you're in a large space, with some good distance between you and the speakers, or low-sensitivity speakers, cranking the volume way, way up, AVRs generally can do a good job of powering everything, just maybe not in the extremes. Unless your listening is driving the receiver into clipping / speakers distorting, I don't know that you're going to notice an appreciable (if at all) difference as far as sound quality is concerned. Some folks do report improvements when adding an amp, many do not. A separate amp for the front 3 will certainly reduce the load on the receiver, so it can't hurt - but you do then need to accommodate another piece of equipment (space, plug, heat, etc....). You can always try it, but I'd keep an avenue open for returning the amp if you don't notice anything appreciable in improved performance.
Thank you. I did listen on his speakers and honestly didn't notice much difference. I sit about 12ft from tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-22-2019, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 129
@levy07 to expand on what @Jonas2 said, upgrade speakers instead of getting an amp. That will be a better long term decision for the theater.
spyboy and fill35U like this.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-22-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2766 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@levy07 to expand on what @Jonas2 said, upgrade speakers instead of getting an amp. That will be a better long term decision for the theater.

Indeed, this is where the greatest possible gain can be had.
eriksells916 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #6 of 7 Old 06-24-2019, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
Thanks, now to look at speakers
post #7 of 7 Old 06-24-2019, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 129
ha ha sorry @levy07 . Good news is the x4400 is powerful and should be relevant for at least a few more years.

I spent months looking here https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/ until I took the plunge on building the c-note from PE for only $100. They are great for HT and music. Of course I had to build a custom center channel, but good news for you, they now have a center so not too much stress. If you want to build something bigger or more powerful, start here. The HT series are supposed to be great...for, well...HT https://www.diysoundgroup.com

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page