Upgrading from Yamaha RX-V2700 too...? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-26-2019, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Upgrading from Yamaha RX-V2700 too...?

I'm in the middle of the rabbit hole and looking for some advice. I'm updating my LCR to DIYSG Maximus-12LXE (IIRC 95-97 efficiency) and Volt 10 V-2 surrounds. Also putting together two B&C 21" subs in GSG boxes.

I'm wanting to update my AVR to get some connectivity....Apple, Bluetooth, etc. The Yamaha RX-V2700 is pretty robust but its 11 years old and pretty clunky to operate.

I'm debating on getting a newer AVR as a preamp and surround duty, and a 3 channel amp to run the LCR. Or...just spend more on an AVR and keep it simple.

I'm probably 75% music so I'm very interested in driving the L/R well. The more I read the less I seem to be able to come to a conclusion. Budget is reasonable...up to 1500-2000 for either a really good AVR or a mid-level AVR and a 3 channel amp. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-26-2019, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpilk View Post
I'm in the middle of the rabbit hole and looking for some advice. I'm updating my LCR to DIYSG Maximus-12LXE (IIRC 95-97 efficiency) and Volt 10 V-2 surrounds. Also putting together two B&C 21" subs in GSG boxes.

I'm wanting to update my AVR to get some connectivity....Apple, Bluetooth, etc. The Yamaha RX-V2700 is pretty robust but its 11 years old and pretty clunky to operate.

I'm debating on getting a newer AVR as a preamp and surround duty, and a 3 channel amp to run the LCR. Or...just spend more on an AVR and keep it simple.

I'm probably 75% music so I'm very interested in driving the L/R well. The more I read the less I seem to be able to come to a conclusion. Budget is reasonable...up to 1500-2000 for either a really good AVR or a mid-level AVR and a 3 channel amp. Suggestions?
How many speakers total? Any height speakers?
How many video sources?

Both of those are going to be relevant for identifying what level of receiver will handle your requirements.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-26-2019, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Im upgrading from an Rx-v2600 so almost about the same thing.

To be honest ive been going around and listening to many. Still a fan of the Yamaha. I picked it last time back in 2005 apparently for a reason.

The RX-A780 is an absolute beast and has risen to the top when doing side by side listening. I would say its very close to the Yamahas of old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-27-2019, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
How many speakers total? Any height speakers?
How many video sources?

Both of those are going to be relevant for identifying what level of receiver will handle your requirements.
I'm running 7.2, no presence or atmos speakers. My HT is locked in on wiring and I don't plan on rewiring. Oppo and satellite video and currently run a dock for my iphone. Pretty basic setup.

I did a bit more research on the Denon's. Seem to be pretty flexible on setting up and expanding as needed. Just trying to decide on whether the separate 3 channel would be worth adding for the front.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-27-2019, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdiggs View Post
Im upgrading from an Rx-v2600 so almost about the same thing.

To be honest ive been going around and listening to many. Still a fan of the Yamaha. I picked it last time back in 2005 apparently for a reason.

The RX-A780 is an absolute beast and has risen to the top when doing side by side listening. I would say its very close to the Yamahas of old.
I'm reluctant to give up the Yamaha....its been flawless. I plan on keeping it for another system but its just missing the connectivity I'd like. I've not been a fan of the YPAO either...I end up tuning by ear. Probably just my old man ears.

I'll look into the 780. Not many places to audition around her anymore...almost all the stereo shops are shut down. BB is about it. Thanks for chiming in.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-27-2019, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
I'm running 7.2, no presence or atmos speakers. My HT is locked in on wiring and I don't plan on rewiring. Oppo and satellite video and currently run a dock for my iphone. Pretty basic setup.

I did a bit more research on the Denon's. Seem to be pretty flexible on setting up and expanding as needed. Just trying to decide on whether the separate 3 channel would be worth adding for the front.

I would scrap the Yamaha route and try a slim line Marantz if music is your priority. If your speakers aren’t too demanding, it would be a good fit I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 06-27-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
I would scrap the Yamaha route and try a slim line Marantz if music is your priority. If your speakers aren’t too demanding, it would be a good fit I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'll look into them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page