Parasound A52+ or emotiva xpa-5 gen 3? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tidwelr1

post #1 of 15 Old 06-30-2019, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Parasound A52+ or emotiva xpa-5 gen 3?

For a new theatre system, my av amp: Marantz sr8012,

I will take parasound a52 or emotiva xpa-5 gen 3 for front, center and surround speakers.

Please comment!

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-30-2019, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
revised:

Parasound a52 plus ( not a52)
post #3 of 15 Old 07-01-2019, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5225 Post(s)
Liked: 3391
Between the two I'd definitely go parasound. Emotiva stuff is just way bright in my opinion. I'd pick the marantz built in amps over emotiva.
Honestly, unless you're listening to a lot of music, you probably won't gain anything by adding the external amp. The marantz has plenty of power for home theater volume. Going to the parasound won't even net you an extra 3db. So I'm not sure what you'd be hoping to gain.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-01-2019, 02:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 2651 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
Parasound A52+ or emotiva xpa-5 gen 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Between the two I'd definitely go parasound. Emotiva stuff is just way bright in my opinion. I'd pick the marantz built in amps over emotiva.

Honestly, unless you're listening to a lot of music, you probably won't gain anything by adding the external amp. The marantz has plenty of power for home theater volume. Going to the parasound won't even net you an extra 3db. So I'm not sure what you'd be hoping to gain.

The two channel version of the XPA-3 was tested on Stereophile and measured -.1dB at 20 KHz....so I don't think it is changing the frequency response of the speakers i.e. "bright".

I do agree thought that it may not be a big enough gain in power to make much difference. The SR8012 made 145watts/channel with two channels driven into 8r. With 5 channels driven it was down to about 100 watts/channel but with burst testing it was 165 watts into 7 channels, all of this with 8r. So yeah, seems to be a pretty powerful AVR.

What is the sensitivity of your speakers, how loud do you listen, how far is your seating, and how much power can your speakers handle before heavily distorting and compressing?

Maybe the A31 would be a better choice if you feel like you would benefit from more power? (250watts x 3 @ 8r)

In comparison the Parasound is rated at 185watts/channel @ 8r. That’s why it doesn’t seem like a big enough upgrade from your AVR @ 145.

Last edited by bear123; 07-01-2019 at 04:13 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-15-2019, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry go View Post
revised:

Parasound a52 plus ( not a52)
What are the speakers you are trying to drive?

Projector: Benq HT5550 and JVC RS1000/NX5 || Screen: 150" Elite Screen 16:9 || Fronts: Martin Logan Impression 11A || Center: Martin Logan 50xt || Sub: 2x Polk PSW 505 || Surrounds: Martin Logan EM IW || Atmos: 4x Martin Logan EM IC || AVR: Marantz 8012 || Consoles: Xbox One S, PS4 ||HT Enhancements: Seats from 4seating.com w/Sound Shakers and risers.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Oh yeah, with that receiver just get a nice 2 channel stereo amp to drive your mains. That should leave your SR8012 with plenty of power to adequately drive all the rest of your speakers.
So depending on how much power you want / type of speakers you have - look at a Paraound A23+ or A21+ or something similar.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-16-2019, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
The two channel version of the XPA-3 was tested on Stereophile and measured -.1dB at 20 KHz....so I don't think it is changing the frequency response of the speakers i.e. "bright".

I do agree thought that it may not be a big enough gain in power to make much difference. The SR8012 made 145watts/channel with two channels driven into 8r. With 5 channels driven it was down to about 100 watts/channel but with burst testing it was 165 watts into 7 channels, all of this with 8r. So yeah, seems to be a pretty powerful AVR.

What is the sensitivity of your speakers, how loud do you listen, how far is your seating, and how much power can your speakers handle before heavily distorting and compressing?

Maybe the A31 would be a better choice if you feel like you would benefit from more power? (250watts x 3 @ 8r)

In comparison the Parasound is rated at 185watts/channel @ 8r. That’s why it doesn’t seem like a big enough upgrade from your AVR @ 145.

I tried an XPA3 in my system and it sounded brighter than my Marantz AVR at higher volume. At lower volume, they sounded the essentially the same I thought. The worst part though was that the amp added an annoying hum thru my speakers that did not exist with the Marantz powering the speakers. Unhooked the amp and hum was gone and still is. Have you actually tried an emotiva amp with your setup? You said “you don’t think” so it sounds unlikely. The OP likely doesn’t need an amp though. Maybe a 2 channel amp at most when paired with the 8012. I doubt that’s needed though. The OP should take that extra money and spend it towards a better sub or two, or upgrade the front 3 speakers in the setup.

OP: try the Marantz by itself and then go from there. The 8012 is a tank and should have zero problems with your speakers unless you have very inefficient speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
markmon1 likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
I tried an XPA3 in my system and it sounded brighter than my Marantz AVR at higher volume. At lower volume, they sounded the essentially the same I thought. The worst part though was that the amp added an annoying hum thru my speakers that did not exist with the Marantz powering the speakers. Unhooked the amp and hum was gone and still is. Have you actually tried an emotiva amp with your setup? You said “you don’t think” so it sounds unlikely. The OP likely doesn’t need an amp though. Maybe a 2 channel amp at most when paired with the 8012. I doubt that’s needed though. The OP should take that extra money and spend it towards a better sub or two, or upgrade the front 3 speakers in the setup.

OP: try the Marantz by itself and then go from there. The 8012 is a tank and should have zero problems with your speakers unless you have very inefficient speakers.

The "brightness" you encountered at higher volumes was do to "more then likely" poor AC powered from the wall outlet. Probably an overloaded 15 amp circuit with WAY to thin gauge wire that couldn't supply enough current to support the Emotiva....and everything else in line with it....

The hum you have is "more then likely" one of two things or both.

You usually encounter hum form bad ground loop caused from having your equipment plugged into two separate outlets with different voltages.

Or from poor grounding and or both loose wires in the circuit.

Give it good clean and steady current and you won't hear the pinching down on the sound you are experiencing.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
The "brightness" you encountered at higher volumes was do to "more then likely" poor AC powered from the wall outlet. Probably an overloaded 15 amp circuit with WAY to thin gauge wire that couldn't supply enough current to support the Emotiva....and everything else in line with it....

You usually encounter hum form bad ground loop caused from having your equipment plugged into two separate outlets with different voltages.

Give it good clean and steady current and you won't hear the pinching down on the sound you are experiencing.

You may be right about the circuit being 15 amp. Not sure, but I’m going to check that when I get home. I’ve never heard that you may have to switch to higher amp circuit to run an amp. I do run everything thru a APC H15 power conditioner which is plugged into the wall outlet. If the circuit amp contributed to the amp sounding thin and a bit brighter so be it. I’ve read other reviews where others felt emotiva amps sounded a bit bright as well. Seems like even a professional reviewer may have said that.

post #10 of 15 Old 07-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Supplying good clean current is one of/if not the most overlooked part of a good sounding system.

I'll just about guarantee that if you pull the faceplate you'll find that your house is wired with 18 maybe 16 gauge wire... and is this a dedicated circuit that you have your components plugged into?
How many components are plugged into it..?

Your one in, multi out power conditioner needs power also.

And if its not a dedicated line who knows what else is on the same circuit as your system.

These are all huge factors on how a high current amplifier will sound.

Sorry if this sounds harsh... I really dont mean to be. I just see these kinds of posts all the time.

Last edited by WOKNROX; 07-16-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-16-2019, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I have Parasound amps and have been very happy with them for a long time. I use an Emotiva pre amp and have also been happy with that. It really depends on the speakers.

LG 65C7p | Sony PS3 | Sony PS4 | Apple Ariport Express | Emotiva UMC-200 | Parasound HCA2003a | Parasound HCA1000a x 2 | Monster HTS3500 | AC Infinity Aircom T8 x 2 | NHT 1.5 | NHT VS2 | NHT Super Ones | SVS SB16 Ultra | Harmony Elite | Salamander Venice 237 | Sound Anchors Cone Coasters | Vibrapods
post #12 of 15 Old 07-17-2019, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Parasound, easy.

Emotiva now a days are going the way of BOSE. With trickery in creative numbers, flowery words and within the borders of outright lying. Not the same company from 5 years ago.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #13 of 15 Old 07-17-2019, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5225 Post(s)
Liked: 3391
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post

Not buying this. If the marantz receiver was able to get just as loud and not be too bright while being fed the same power, then it's not an issue with the input power. Which, btw, has to be very crappy not to handle say 30 watts of power - which is very likely all that's needed to make most speakers scream. People will say just about anything to deny that the Emotiva stuff is bright / ear piercing / harsh sounding. You get what you pay for.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Not buying this. If the marantz receiver was able to get just as loud and not be too bright while being fed the same power, then it's not an issue with the input power. Which, btw, has to be very crappy not to handle say 30 watts of power - which is very likely all that's needed to make most speakers scream. People will say just about anything to deny that the Emotiva stuff is bright / ear piercing / harsh sounding. You get what you pay for.
I'll start by saying that I'm an advocate of clean power for all pieces of equipment in a system not just for Emotiva. And I have absolutely no experience with Emo gen 3 amplifiers.
I do have and own multiple Emo gen 1 &2 amplifiers and have no issues with the bright sound others are experiencing....after giving them good clean and steady supply of current to draw from.
Keep in mind that after running the Marantz that the addition of the Emo amplifier current draw along with the Marantz put even more stress on the circuit...

Looking at the equipment you have in your sig I would hope you would have dedicated lines run to your equipment..?
I would also hope you know the gauge of wire that was pulled for these dedicated lines...?

I run Simaudio Moon amplifiers a Titan 7 and 5 with huge power supplies that draw huge current. Let me tell you ....it makes a difference what you have coming out of the wall.

Now back to Emotiva... Paul McGowan owner and founder of PS audio, a guy that builds "arguably" some of the best amplifiers on the planet uses Emo amps in his own personal theater... can't be all bad..

My apologies to the OP... this has gone way of topic..

Yes I would add an external amplifier, at least 3 channels for the front.

Last edited by WOKNROX; 07-17-2019 at 08:31 AM.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry go View Post
For a new theatre system, my av amp: Marantz sr8012,

I will take parasound a52 or emotiva xpa-5 gen 3 for front, center and surround speakers.

Please comment!

Many thanks
Of the two, I'd take the Parasound, but given other choices I'd go with:

https://www.d-sonic.com/products/m3a...amplifier.html

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page