Testing amp for signal - no sound from R channel - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By WOKNROX
  • 1 Post By Knucklehead90
  • 1 Post By eriksells916

post #1 of 5 Old 07-03-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Testing amp for signal - no sound from R channel

My zone 2 amp (Integra dtm-2.1) dropped a channel last night. I have sound coming from the L speaker only. I am not electronically inclined so I have no idea how to test either the main avr zone 2 preouts for failure or the (R) channel on the Integra for failure?

Any help is appreciated?

Sorry for double post @rboster , there were no responses from the av automation thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-03-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 194
cut a cheap RCA cable in half, split the ends, make sure to keep the two ends away from each other so it doesn't short out (and make sure neither end shorts against the metal chassis of the receiver or any other metal chassis or anything that is grounded). Put a multimeter/voltmeter in AC voltage across the leads and turn it on and play something and see what the voltage is. If it's 0 or very close to 0 then there's likely a problem somewhere. Could try resetting the settings on the unit to see if that clears any sort of software/settings issue.

For the amp the easiest way to test would be to use a 1/8" stereo to 2xRCA adapter cable to hook it up to a phone or digital media player or whatever and see if it does the same thing. Sometimes you can detect issues if you try a resistance measurement or diode test on the output of the amp with it being turned off. With the unit off the measurements should be the same between both channels so maybe just try resistance and just see if the two channels differ significantly. Would be a sign that there could be a problem.

Make sure your speaker wire hasn't shorted out. I've killed an amp channel by piercing insulation to my speaker wire causing a short before
post #3 of 5 Old 07-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Why not just switch the RCA's going to the amplifier....Left to Right and Right to Left and see if the problem/silence follows...
DonoMan likes this.

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Triad Gold, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-1 Rythmik FV25HP & 4 HSU VTF-MK5-HP, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-03-2019, 12:38 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Make sure you power everything down before swapping RCA leads. Another way to test is to move the speaker leads from the side that is working to the side that currently does not. If the problem follows then it's the speaker. If not, well, possibly a bad channel on the amp. You can also swap the input RCA's that go to the amp. It may be a bad RCA cable, or a bad channel in the preamp section of your receiver.
DonoMan likes this.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Polk LSiM705's - Denon DCD-1500 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - (WWG1WGA)
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Polk LSiM706c Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #5 of 5 Old 07-03-2019, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Thanks @DonoMan @WOKNROX and @Knucklehead90 . I will try the speaker swap then the rca cable split voltmeter test.

Appreciate it guys!
Knucklehead90 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page