1Likes
  • 1 Post By SouthernCA

post #1 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New AVR Suggestions

Hi Everyone, visiting friends who have a pretty nice theater system based around a Sunfire Grand TGR-3 AVR 7.1 200W per channel unit. The unit is having some issues and they want to replace it. What would you experts recommend in the $1K to $1.5K range? Looking forward to your thoughts. Appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Denon AVR-X4500H
Marantz SR6013
post #3 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by guydurrett View Post
Hi Everyone, visiting friends who have a pretty nice theater system based around a Sunfire Grand TGR-3 AVR 7.1 200W per channel unit. The unit is having some issues and they want to replace it. What would you experts recommend in the $1K to $1.5K range? Looking forward to your thoughts. Appreciate the help!
For most features for the buck: Denon x4500h. But it will be buggy and may need resetting and rebooting several times. So if your friend is not technically an expert, choose a more reliable unit.

I moved from a Yamaha AVR (15 years old) to Denon (1 week back). Several reboots and factory resets later, it seems that it is working. But it stops working randomly and requires a reboot which is not hard from me. Yamaha never required a reboot or a factory reset.

Just my two cents. Check out Official Denon threads for numerous questions and reboots.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t
Panson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
my Denon has been great, has never needed a reboot and never stops working, maybe I am lucky.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Woodhall View Post
my Denon has been great, has never needed a reboot and never stops working, maybe I am lucky.

i have a denon 1712 i bought new. never a problem except needing to reset it once.
also a denon 3300 since 2016, no problems either
post #6 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the recommendations!! Looking on Amazon its $1600 and a great multi-function unit. They also have the AVR S750h (discontinued/new) for $499 vs $999 orig retail. Any thoughts? Less power but looks like matching features except no phono input. Any thoughts on that unit! Thanks again guys!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by guydurrett View Post
Thanks for the recommendations!! Looking on Amazon its $1600 and a great multi-function unit. They also have the AVR S750h (discontinued/new) for $499 vs $999 orig retail. Any thoughts? Less power but looks like matching features except no phono input. Any thoughts on that unit! Thanks again guys!!!
Are your friends using all 7.1 channels? I Second all the Denon suggestions. New X4400H(2017) a few weeks ago half price. Price is now back up. Sound is amazing, running 11.4.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 05:00 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Well, this may be a stupid suggestion, but if the problems you refer to with the Sunfire don't affect the amp section, he could reuse the Sunfire as an amplifier only and then just get a new AV preamp to feed it. The AV preamp would connect to the 7.1 analog inputs on the Sunfire and it would act as a pass-through power amp.

The amps in the Sunfire are probably better than what he will find in Denon and Yamaha AVR's, and this would allow him to retain those amps rather than tossing the Sunfire out. An AVR preamp has the potential to be better than an all-in-one receiver, though that depends on the individual equipment selected. Something like the Emotiva MC-700 combined with the repurposed Sunfire amp might be quite nice for a total of $729 (reusing the Sunfire).

If he wants to eventually do more than 7 channels, then a modern AVR might be better, but If he is only going to have 7 channels, the AV preamp/processor route might not be a bad idea.

Last edited by pjp; 07-05-2019 at 05:03 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Well, this may be a stupid suggestion, but if the problems you refer to with the Sunfire don't affect the amp section, he could reuse the Sunfire as an amplifier only and then just get a new AV preamp to feed it. The AV preamp would connect to the 7.1 analog inputs on the Sunfire and it would act as a pass-through power amp.

The amps in the Sunfire are probably better than what he will find in Denon and Yamaha AVR's, and this would allow him to retain those amps rather than tossing the Sunfire out. An AVR preamp has the potential to be better than an all-in-one receiver, though that depends on the individual equipment selected. Something like the Emotiva MC-700 combined with the repurposed Sunfire amp might be quite nice for a total of $729 (reusing the Sunfire).

If he wants to eventually do more than 7 channels, then a modern AVR might be better, but If he is only going to have 7 channels, the AV preamp/processor route might not be a bad idea.
Great idea. You will get the best of both worlds. Sunfire TGR 3 has an MSRP of $4999. While I have not used it, the reviews are very good and he's preamp inputs.

In that case Denon X3500h (on sale at Best Buy) or X3400h on sale at many online dealers will be very good.

Just make sure it is new and that you are buying it from an authorized dealer (otherwise no warranty).

Last edited by SouthernCA; 07-05-2019 at 06:03 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-05-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 246
if they only have a 7.1 set up an outlaw 975 or 976 (if 4k is needed) would be a cost effective pre-amp replacement

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page