Please Suggest a receiver here is the speakers i will get - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By smithsabom

post #1 of 23 Old 07-10-2019, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Smile Please Suggest a receiver here is the speakers i will get

Good day guys, Thanks in advance for your help, im sure you have a lot more experience than i do, as im new to home theaters /av receivers and so... so... im looking for a good/modern receiver for the next speakers setup:

1. Klipsch Pair Towers 8": Klipsch RP-280F
  2. Klipsch Subwoofer 15" Klipsch R-115SW Subwoofer (2)
  3. Klipsch RP-440C Center Channel Speaker (Ebony)
  4. Klipsch RP-240S Surround Speakers (Black/pair)

I expect to have access to stream music from my phone, just as i do with my google chromecast. Music is my main concern, i want this thing to go low as hell. Video, well i only see movies from Netflix and regular cable.

Budget for receiver:
USD $.450

THANKS THANKS THANKS IN ADVANCE, appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-10-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 246
check out a pioneer/onlyo/integra as they have native chromecast support. .. best bang-for-your-buck is a refurbished unit. accessories4less.com is often recommended
ZICK likes this.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #3 of 23 Old 07-10-2019, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 07-10-2019, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
check out a pioneer/onlyo/integra as they have native chromecast support. .. best bang-for-your-buck is a refurbished unit. accessories4less.com is often recommended
Thank you, never thought in a refurbished one, but will check what they have, good idea to get a better unit for less.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-10-2019, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Checking the deal... thanks!
post #6 of 23 Old 07-10-2019, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 220
If by 'want this thing to go low as hell' you're referring to bass, that is more a function of your speakers and subwoofer. Any receiver will handle full-range sound so you're good to go on that front.
post #7 of 23 Old 07-10-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked: 1879
when I had an all klipsch system I realey liked an old onkyo avr. think is was 606....now they have 686 for around 300. this is based totally on what I think was great sound. back then the onkyo replaced top tier yamaha avr's...so guess Im just saying I liked onkyo better than yamaha. your going to have to triple check what features you want/need.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #8 of 23 Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
If by 'want this thing to go low as hell' you're referring to bass, that is more a function of your speakers and subwoofer. Any receiver will handle full-range sound so you're good to go on that front.
Thank you i just realized that, since the SW have their own amp... im intending to use 2 15" klipsch subs so hopefully with that the lows will be as i expect. I was thinking on using those JBL 18" ones... but they are too big and dont goes with the rest of speakers design speaking.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
when I had an all klipsch system I realey liked an old onkyo avr. think is was 606....now they have 686 for around 300. this is based totally on what I think was great sound. back then the onkyo replaced top tier yamaha avr's...so guess Im just saying I liked onkyo better than yamaha. your going to have to triple check what features you want/need.
Thank you, in fact im looking a lot to the onkyo side, hopefully i can find the one that have all the goodies, inside my budget.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-11-2019, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Denon is always a good choice because most of their receivers have Burr Brown DACs that are not overly "bright" in sound. With Klipsch horns, too bright a DAC could be an issue. Yamaha, at one time, was a little bright. Integra DRX-4.2 could work, good AKM DAC.

Anthem AVM-60, Emotiva XPA5 gen2, Monitor Audio Silver, Integra DTR 50.4, Sony MDR-1A2 cans, Volumio server.
post #11 of 23 Old 07-11-2019, 09:00 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by julitro View Post
Music is my main concern, i want this thing to go low as hell. Video, well i only see movies from Netflix and regular cable.
A totally alternate thought is that, if your main concern by far is music, it might not be a bad idea to go stereo instead of 5.1. This would allow you to get better speakers and deeper subs and a better amp within the same budget.

I've never been a fan of any surround modes for music, so I always run stereo mode for music in my 7.1 system.

Music that is specifically mixed for 5.1 can sound great, however, so if you listen to a lot of that, or if you really want surround in your movie viewing, then it's probably better to stick to your original plan. Just tossing out the stereo idea as food for thought.
post #12 of 23 Old 07-11-2019, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZICK View Post
Denon is always a good choice because most of their receivers have Burr Brown DACs that are not overly "bright" in sound. With Klipsch horns, too bright a DAC could be an issue. Yamaha, at one time, was a little bright. Integra DRX-4.2 could work, good AKM DAC.
Jesus! now i will get to learn about those terms you used there... i know that Denon for example is used a lot for DJ mixers and so, so im guessing by default should be great for audio, i think is a bit pricier i think... but thanks will have that on mind
post #13 of 23 Old 07-11-2019, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
A totally alternate thought is that, if your main concern by far is music, it might not be a bad idea to go stereo instead of 5.1. This would allow you to get better speakers and deeper subs and a better amp within the same budget.

I've never been a fan of any surround modes for music, so I always run stereo mode for music in my 7.1 system.

Music that is specifically mixed for 5.1 can sound great, however, so if you listen to a lot of that, or if you really want surround in your movie viewing, then it's probably better to stick to your original plan. Just tossing out the stereo idea as food for thought.
Thank you, is a very interesting point of you and totally makes sense. Im thinking that probably i would like to have 50/50 music and video, my concern is that i really like to feel the lows of the music i hear... the bum bum! see my coffee mug jumping on my desk but what you are saying is totally right, i think i will have that in mind in my research... but since im getting this great speakers, i think i want to use them also for my movies and be able to get the 7.2 al working together. thanks for the input.!!
post #14 of 23 Old 07-12-2019, 08:20 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you, is a very interesting point of you and totally makes sense. Im thinking that probably i would like to have 50/50 music and video, my concern is that i really like to feel the lows of the music i hear... the bum bum! see my coffee mug jumping on my desk but what you are saying is totally right, i think i will have that in mind in my research... but since im getting this great speakers, i think i want to use them also for my movies and be able to get the 7.2 al working together. thanks for the input.!!
If you really want to feel the bass, and you will be seated during listening/viewing, the most effective way to do that is by adding shakers into the mix. You can get 2 Auro Pro shakers and an amp to drive them for $260 (https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ndle--300-9021) or 4 shakers + amp for $350 (https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ndle--300-9022).

The shakers are driven off of the AVR LFE output, exactly like the subs, but you set the crossover on the shaker amp lower than the sub crossover so the shakers only handle the very lowest frequencies. I have one Aura Pro shaker per theater chair and it is more than enough. I can actually turn off my subs in the theater and it isn't obvious when you are seated because the shakers are so effective. Shakers provide an unbelievable bang for the buck for those who want to feel the lowest bass notes and the deepest special effects.
post #15 of 23 Old 07-12-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
If all you're doing is driving 5.2, you can get anything. All receivers are essentially the same. The only meaningful difference is they have different room correction software. And I think the differences between YPAO, Audyssey, etc.. are way overblown.

If you haven't bought your speakers yet, and want good bass, I suggest getting this...
https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-Inch...s%2C125&sr=8-2

I would take one of these over your 2 klipsch any day,

I would avoid Onkyo. They have a history of poor reliability and tend to run very hot.
post #16 of 23 Old 07-12-2019, 09:23 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
If all you're doing is driving 5.2, you can get anything. All receivers are essentially the same. The only meaningful difference is they have different room correction software. And I think the differences between YPAO, Audyssey, etc.. are way overblown.
I don't think this is true at all. Differences between standalone amplifiers or amplifiers within the AVR can be subtle, that is absolutely true. But the differences between AVR's as a whole is not subtle at all. Differences in room EQ make a big difference in the sound because it directly controls the equalization for every speaker. The only way that is not true is if you are bypassing the built-in EQ system and using REW to set the EQ manually. If you are using REW, then the differences between AVR's can be more subtle. For music, differences between different sound modes from each manufacturer are completely different. For music, having a true "pure direct" mode can be very important. Amp differences are subtle, AVR differences are not -- at least in my experience with every AVR and AV processor I've owned.
post #17 of 23 Old 07-12-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
Quote:
I don't think this is true at all. Differences between standalone amplifiers or amplifiers within the AVR can be subtle, that is absolutely true. But the differences between AVR's as a whole is not subtle at all. Differences in room EQ make a big difference in the sound because it directly controls the equalization for every speaker. The only way that is not true is if you are bypassing the built-in EQ system and using REW to set the EQ manually. If you are using REW, then the differences between AVR's can be more subtle. For music, differences between different sound modes from each manufacturer are completely different. For music, having a true "pure direct" mode can be very important. Amp differences are subtle, AVR differences are not -- at least in my experience with every AVR and AV processor I've owned.
I've had a dozen or so AVRs from different manufacturers. Each with their own room correction and from my experience, there's not much difference. I went from Audyssey XT32, which is supposed to be the best, to YPAO and I liked YPAO better. But I didn't notice much difference. I wouldn't pick a receiver based on the room correction used. They each have their own sound modes which whether you like them or not is very subjective, but if you just listen to dolby like most people, it will be the same.

Weren't you the one who suggested a straight stereo setup? If so, why would you then state room eq sound modes makes a big difference? it won't make much difference with stereo.

Personally, I would never use stereo. I think it sounds dead compared to using all your speakers.
post #18 of 23 Old 07-12-2019, 12:47 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've had a dozen or so AVRs from different manufacturers. Each with their own room correction and from my experience, there's not much difference. I went from Audyssey XT32, which is supposed to be the best, to YPAO and I liked YPAO better. But I didn't notice much difference. I wouldn't pick a receiver based on the room correction used. They each have their own sound modes which whether you like them or not is very subjective, but if you just listen to dolby like most people, it will be the same.
You have more experience with various room EQ's than I do, but any non-trivial difference in final EQ settings from auto EQ will make a significant difference in the sound. That doesn't mean there is one EQ system that is universally "best" -- the "best" auto EQ is probably situational for each individual room -- which is probably your point (which I agree with). I can say definitively that none of my AVR or AV processors have sounded the same at all, independent of room EQ. Unlike an analog 2-channel stereo amp, there is a huge amount of signal processing going on inside AVR's -- all the manufacturers make different choices about they implement all of the other "stuff" they do in signal processing beyond Dolby decoding. All my AVR's sounded different to me, and not subtly different.

Quote:
Weren't you the one who suggested a straight stereo setup? If so, why would you then state room eq sound modes makes a big difference? it won't make much difference with stereo.
I tossed out stereo as alternative suggestion because music is the priority for the OP, that doesn't mean he is going to do that (as you've seen from his reply). Even I'm not sure stereo would be best given he also watches movies, that's why I called it a "food for thought" suggestion. That doesn't mean I can't comment on AVR. Room EQ versus not room EQ makes a huge difference. Sound modes in AVR's like "Hall", "Jazz Club" are proprietary per manufacturer and are important if he is going to use multi-channel for music. I agree, just use Dolby for movies, but there is no default "best" for 2-channel music (which is his priority), so it's good to consider what each AVR can do specifically for music.

Quote:
Personally, I would never use stereo. I think it sounds dead compared to using all your speakers.
That's your choice, and I wish that was my experience. It irks me to no end that I have 5 speakers unused when listening to music on my 7.1 system -- but try as I might, I haven't been able to find multi-channel modes on any of my systems ever that sound as good as stereo for music. I am far from being alone in that, but everyone can choose what sounds best for themselves. If music is mixed for 5.1 -- that's a different story, but for 2-channel music, I haven't found multi-channel to ever sound better than stereo.

My experience is also that music doesn't sound good on most AVR's unless you are run in "pure direct" mode to avoid redigitizing analog signals. That is situational, for difficult rooms, redigitizing with room EQ might be better than keeping it analog in pure direct bypassing room EQ. I'm sure you disagree that redigitization is harmful, that is your right.

Nothing is absolute -- try everything, choose what's best for you, and pass along your experiences if you care to so others have a wider range of things to try/consider.

Last edited by pjp; 07-12-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #19 of 23 Old 07-12-2019, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you really want to feel the bass, and you will be seated during listening/viewing, the most effective way to do that is by adding shakers into the mix. You can get 2 Auro Pro shakers and an amp to drive them for $260 (https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ndle--300-9021) or 4 shakers + amp for $350 (https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ndle--300-9022).

The shakers are driven off of the AVR LFE output, exactly like the subs, but you set the crossover on the shaker amp lower than the sub crossover so the shakers only handle the very lowest frequencies. I have one Aura Pro shaker per theater chair and it is more than enough. I can actually turn off my subs in the theater and it isn't obvious when you are seated because the shakers are so effective. Shakers provide an unbelievable bang for the buck for those who want to feel the lowest bass notes and the deepest special effects.
Wow this is a very interesting information, is like the 4D of movies, thanks for the info, this is going to be a part of the system deffinitely, i think then i can try 1 15" sub and add a couple of this, will see how it goes, but for sure they are now part of the list.

Thanks again for sharing wisdom (beer)
post #20 of 23 Old 07-12-2019, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you haven't bought your speakers yet, and want good bass, I suggest getting this...
https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-Inch...s%2C125&sr=8-2

I would take one of these over your 2 klipsch any day,

I would avoid Onkyo. They have a history of poor reliability and tend to run very hot.
Roger that on the Onkyo receiver.

I would like to get to 7.2... but will see.

As for the sub, does it really that Monlith will sound more than 2 15" klipsch? Im asking because of the klipsch is 800wats and has a cone of 15" which i think would give more bass... but im new on this im just talking from my readings dont kill me please.

So the Monolith is 12" is 500watts... is Monolith that better than Klipsch? is it a US brand?

Thanks again for your input this is a very nice way to learn. (beer)
post #21 of 23 Old 07-18-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Deciding over this two models:
  1. Onkyo TX-RZ830 9.2
  2. Pioneer VSX-LX503 9.2

Things i like from both:
  • Both uses google chromecast native!
  • Cost the same

Now the question is, regarding reliability, quality, configuration options, which of the two you guys would get? Vote please!

Thank you guys!

Last edited by julitro; 07-19-2019 at 10:03 AM.
post #22 of 23 Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
Hello @torii ; is me again

Im deciding on this 3 options 1 pioneer and 2 onk's

Pioneer: vsx-lx503 $550
Onkyo: tx-rz730 $450
Onkyo: tx-rz810 $430

All of them have the thinks i like to have. In the case of the onkyos have the mode selection buttons in the front which i like a lot over Pioneer that doesnt have it.

From your point of view which one would be the best option, i have ready bad things about onkyos about them running hot or less reliable than other brands... but since you are the one mentioning good things about the brand, i was wondering on your thoughts.

Also i like the low onkyo price for almost the same as the Pioneer... in specs.

Thanks in advance! Cheers!
post #23 of 23 Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
...As for the sub, does it really that Monlith will sound more than 2 15" klipsch? Im asking because of the klipsch is 800wats and has a cone of 15" which i think would give more bass...
Well, speaker specifications are mostly meaningless and not comparable, but from reputable brands advertising RMS power, yeah more power and a bigger cone *should* be able to play louder.

Now how LOW, that is a different thing entirely. There are some huge 2x18" PA systems that suck for super low sound like movie effects-because they are not designed and tuned for that. Then you can get to massive DIY systems, and stuff like the old Danley rotaries which were originally developed to simulate elephant calls.*

Subwoofers are very special animals, and their design actually quite different from ordinary speakers. Hsu, Rhythmik, SVS, JL, and some others really really know how to design subs for maximum output and/or going low. Mainstream brands like Polk and Klipsch and KEF and so on historically have simply not been as good as the specialized brands, though they may have some modest subs at low prices the specialists don't touch.

"Hofmann's Iron Law" states that to go low in a tiny cabinet eats huge power-and it is hard to play as loud. Hence DIY subs can tend to be massive, and even include wrapped horn designs that could possibly break your windows.

Anyway, if you want help about subs, post a new thread in the subwoofer forum

*And once in their lab Tom Danley was showing me a section of a very very long horn, driven by like a 15 horsepower fan, to simulate sonic booms at 170 dB at a NASA facility. This after viewing an invisible laser heating a bit of metal into a liquid drop, suspended by floating in the air by ultrasonic sound waves. No I am not making up any of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
receiver under 450 usd