Expansion From 5.1.2 to 7.1.4 Power Amp Choices - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-11-2019, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Expansion From 5.1.2 to 7.1.4 Power Amp Choices

I am currently using my NAD 777 V3 in a 5.1.2 configuration. I want to expand that system into a full ATMOS/DTX 7.1.4 system. To do so, I need to add 4 more channels of power amp (the NAD only comes with 7 power amp channels). I am looking at either getting TWO NAD C 268s or ONE Anthem PVA 4. Funny enough, they are almost the exact same total price. If I get the Anthem, it will be the only non-NAD amp in my system (I use an old NAD to power my sub). I've not been able to find a review of the exact Anthem unit, but others in the series PVA 5, PVA 7 have decent reviews. The NAD C 268 also has very decent reviews. The two units use different approaches to get their power output. The NAD uses a "digital" amp, while the Anthem seems to use a more traditional approach (and weighs more than the two NADs put together!).

Does anyone have any experiences with either (or both) of these amps? My guess is either one would work just fine as the "height" channels in the 7.1.4 ATMOS/DTX system. I'd just like to hear if there are any "issues" with either amp.

Thanks for any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-11-2019, 03:38 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Does your 777 have the processing channels to do what you're wanting to do? I don't know anything about NAD products, which is why I'm asking. As for amps, a couple of Crown 1002 'digial' amps would do just fine IMO. And likely cost less. Height and width channels don't require a lot of power.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #3 of 3 Old 07-11-2019, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
Does your 777 have the processing channels to do what you're wanting to do?
Yes it does.
Quote:
As for amps, a couple of Crown 1002 'digial' amps would do just fine IMO. And likely cost less. Height and width channels don't require a lot of power.
I will check that out. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page