Lexicon - Beware - a MC-10 & DD-8 Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ultra 150 pilot
  • 1 Post By Stereojeff
  • 1 Post By readthis13

post #1 of 22 Old 07-11-2019, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Lexicon - Beware - a MC-10 & DD-8 Review

I'd like to share my experience with anyone shopping for these units. Thurs is my personal review and honest experience...

I recently replaced my Denon and (previous) Merantz integrated pre/post units with what I thought was an upgraded system. The Lexicon MC-10 with the added DD-8 for the surrounds and Atmos channels.

Since doing so, I get constant popping noises out of my surrounds... But not out of my fronts.

I've got my front speakers hooked up to an Emotiva amp, and I get zero popping noise out of them.

To troubleshoot this all, I've had a dedicated 20-amp installed, and have had both the MC-10 and DD-8 replaced under warranty...all to no avail...

I've gotten this popping noise with nothing plugged into the MC-10 when troubleshooting. Just having the pre and post hooked up, popping comes through the audio.

And while it's likely somehow tied to a power related issue, the Emotiva doesn't exhibit this issue, the previous two Denons didn't, and the previous Merantz didn't.

I've tried everything to fix it. Had new electrical run, bought a Panamax, tested with nothing plugged in, replaced both units, etc. Nothing fixes it..

If anyone is unsure if you have some perfect source of power, even after a dedicated 20 amp run from the breaker, then I'd recommend looking at another brand...

This has been a terrible process for me, and I'm simply hoping to share this so others won't have to go through it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6289 Post(s)
Liked: 5623
I'm sorry to hear of your experience.

To completely rule out that it may be something in your house, have you tried taking the gear to a friends house??
post #3 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your experience.

To completely rule out that it may be something in your house, have you tried taking the gear to a friends house??
I haven't. I don't have anyone that I know that I'd be able have them take their gear out, and hook mine up, that has a multi channel system like this. Unfortunately, the noise comes and goes, and I'd likely need to leave it for an extended period of time. This just really ins't an option for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Electrical issues will usually cause hum, not pops. I would suspect a loose cable or wire to cause that. Having both replaced under warranty should clear the hardware. I don't own this processor, but I know others who do that have not had the problems you have experienced. Frustrating none the less, so please don't take my comments as a slight against the issues you are having.
I'd have thought replacing them both would have fixed this. What's odd, is that this noise happens w/ nothing plugged into the MC-10 w/ only the DD-8 hooked up. Also, the Emotiva, which is also hooked up from the MC-10, is also not experiencing any such issue.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Have you tried hooking up..."only the DD-8"..... without the Emotiva?
And have you tried hooking it up to the output that the Emotiva is/was hooked up to?

I'm wondering if and because the balanced inputs (if you are using them) on the Emotiva are out of phase this might be causing you some problems...
Just a thought...

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom cabinets Fully build, SS-BS DT BPXV, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-Rythmik FV25HP front 2 HSU VTF-MK5-HP back, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It sounds like the issue is with the DD-8. If you hook the Emotiva up to the channels that the DD-8 was popping on does it go away? Does the popping follow the DD-8 on the channels it is connected to?
I've replaced the DD-8 under warranty, so they both exhibited this issue... However, I haven't plugged the Emotiva into those channels. I could test that, but I hear the noise out of all speakers connected to the DD-8, but nothing out of the 3 hooked to the Emotiva. That just led me to believe that it was isolated to this one amp.

Before upgrading this system, I never once heard this issue out of any prior amp / receiver however.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Have you tried hooking up..."only the DD-8"..... without the Emotiva?
And have you tried hooking it up to the output that the Emotiva is/was hooked up to?

I'm wondering if and because the balanced inputs (if you are using them) on the Emotiva are out of phase this might be causing you some problems...
Just a thought...
I have tried only hooking the DD-8 up w/ nothing else hooked up to the MC-10. Also, I'm not able to calibrate Dirac when using the balanced inputs on the Emotiva as the DD-8 doesn't have them, and the speakers run hotter with XLR's, making the fronts too loud, while not being able to get the levels needed out of the rest. As such, all speakers for both amps are hooked up via RCA.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

I'm sure you do but ..do you have the stereo/mono switches one the DD-8 set correctly..

One more thing and I'll leave you to it.. have you tried hooking up the speakers to the DD-8 while the processor is left unhooked and turning it on to see if you still have the problem?
This will eliminate the possibility that the processor is the problem.

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom cabinets Fully build, SS-BS DT BPXV, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-Rythmik FV25HP front 2 HSU VTF-MK5-HP back, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
I'm sure you do but ..do you have the stereo/mono switches one the DD-8 set correctly..

One more thing and I'll leave you to it.. have you tried hooking up the speakers to the DD-8 while the processor is left unhooked and turning it on to see if you still have the problem?
This will eliminate the possibility that the processor is the problem.
All settings are set correctly. I'm not sure that things would even work correctly if mono was set.

I initially tried unhooking the MC-10, and sitting with it all, but initially I didn't hear anything.

The issue, is that the noise doesn't happen on command. It'll come and go. So I'd need to sit for a considerable amount of time, hoping it'll happen. I then plugged the DD-8 in, and didn't hear anything. Then I started adding items back and played a movie. After the noise started again, I started unplugging everything, and was back to just those two units.

Because the noise isn't consistent, it's been incredibly difficult to troubleshoot. And being that I've swapped both units out, I'm at a loss.

All I can reason, is that they're too sensitive to something. The Emotiva powered speakers don't experience this, nor did other gear, making me believe the easiest solution is to swap the DD-8 and call it a day.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I owned the MC 10 for about six months and in that time it worked flawlessly and sounded great, Hope you get your issue work out. Lexicons support is top-notch
post #11 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by readthis13 View Post
All settings are set correctly. I'm not sure that things would even work correctly if mono was set.

I initially tried unhooking the MC-10, and sitting with it all, but initially I didn't hear anything.

The issue, is that the noise doesn't happen on command. It'll come and go. So I'd need to sit for a considerable amount of time, hoping it'll happen. I then plugged the DD-8 in, and didn't hear anything. Then I started adding items back and played a movie. After the noise started again, I started unplugging everything, and was back to just those two units.

Because the noise isn't consistent, it's been incredibly difficult to troubleshoot. And being that I've swapped both units out, I'm at a loss.

All I can reason, is that they're too sensitive to something. The Emotiva powered speakers don't experience this, nor did other gear, making me believe the easiest solution is to swap the DD-8 and call it a day.
Man I really for you bud... this has to be incredibly frustrating not to mention robbing you of sleep.
I know it would be for me.

I really hope you can and I'm sure you will, get this figured out.

Please keep us posted.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
I owned the MC 10 for about six months and in that time it worked flawlessly and sounded great, Hope you get your issue work out. Lexicons support is top-notch

what did you move on to?
post #13 of 22 Old 07-12-2019, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Quote:
I owned the MC 10 for about six months and in that time it worked flawlessly and sounded great, Hope you get your issue work out. Lexicons support is top-notch[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

what did you move on to?
I'd also love to know.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-13-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
what did you move on to?

I’m using a Marantz 8805 right now, but will probably list it in the classifieds at some point.
post #15 of 22 Old 08-11-2019, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I’m using a Marantz 8805 right now, but will probably list it in the classifieds at some point.

Why'd you move on? Why are you moving on again?
post #16 of 22 Old 08-11-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why'd you move on? Why are you moving on again?
I’ve been wanting to do atmos in my room, so I have been trying different pre-pros to replace my McIntosh mx135. Although the Marantz is excellent in every way the older McIntosh is in a different league sound wise especially with music. (10k pre pro in its day made with very high-quality analog parts also used in Dolby laboratories as reference pre pros) I’m selling the Marantz locally and will probably wait for the new classe pre pro to come out next year. ask any of the guys with a classe SSP 800 or Krell foundation if they would give up the sound for new features

Bob
post #17 of 22 Old 08-11-2019, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I’ve been wanting to do atmos in my room, so I have been trying different pre-pros to replace my McIntosh mx135. Although the Marantz is excellent in every way the older McIntosh is in a different league sound wise especially with music. (10k pre pro in its day made with very high-quality analog parts also used in Dolby laboratories as reference pre pros) I’m selling the Marantz locally and will probably wait for the new classe pre pro to come out next year. ask any of the guys with a classe SSP 800 or Krell foundation if they would give up the sound for new features

Bob

The MC-10 did / does Atmos. Why'd you move away from it if that's as the goal?
post #18 of 22 Old 08-12-2019, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The MC-10 did / does Atmos. Why'd you move away from it if that's as the goal?
Music is my priority, I’d rather stick with 7.1 and great music than atmos and so so music. Ymmv
post #19 of 22 Old 08-12-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You prefer the Marantz over the Lexicon?
The 8805 is a great value! Does everything well, the lex is a little more refined sound wise. Reminded me of my anthem d2 that I had several years ago... both have been bullet proof in their operation.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-13-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

Intermittent noise as you describe is often DC on the AC line. I've heard of light dimmers, furnace turn-on and other electrical events in the home causing such noises. One solution is a DC blocker on the line to the amplifier. A google search may be helpful.

Jeff
sdurani likes this.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-13-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Intermittent noise as you describe is often DC on the AC line. I've heard of light dimmers, furnace turn-on and other electrical events in the home causing such noises. One solution is a DC blocker on the line to the amplifier. A google search may be helpful.

Jeff

I've heard of dimmers causing a humming or buzzing noise, but never a full out pop from dead silence.

In fact, between the Harman engineers, pro calibrators that helped setup the room, people on this forum and others, and people I know that work in home audio, no one has pointed to a DC issue.

I've got a replacement amp being delivered today from another brand. However, it'd have been far easier and cheaper to order a DC blocker (which I might go ahead and still do).
post #22 of 22 Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've heard of dimmers causing a humming or buzzing noise, but never a full out pop from dead silence.

In fact, between the Harman engineers, pro calibrators that helped setup the room, people on this forum and others, and people I know that work in home audio, no one has pointed to a DC issue.

I've got a replacement amp being delivered today from another brand. However, it'd have been far easier and cheaper to order a DC blocker (which I might go ahead and still do).
As an update to this all, I swapped the DD-8 out w/ a Monolith, and all popping went away. I’ve had zero issues at all since this swap.
HTNUT1975 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page