Because I am alwys lookign to improve things... AVR recommendations? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By KD5MDK

post #1 of 22 Old 07-13-2019, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Because I am always looking to improve things... AVR recommendations?

Not looking any time soon, but for when the time comes where I feel I need to (or have to) get a new AVR, what would a step up from the Onkyo TX-NR747 be? I'm not loyal to any brand (I've only had an Onkyo HT-391, and Denon S500BT prior to my TX-NR747) - budget when the time came is probably around the $500CDN (and no more than $600CDN) range. Any suggestions now would still be helpful as by the time I ever decide to do this, those models would likely be even less money.

I gratefully thank all of your kind input in advance.

Edit: Oh, and and because I don't anticipate moving to a new space in the foreseeable future, the room everything is in (and oriented) can't do much more than a 5.1.2 set up, which is why I don't plan on getting anything new any time soon since the 747 does all of that pretty well right now.

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 07-13-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-13-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Statz View Post
Not looking any time soon, but for when the time comes where I feel I need to (or have to) get a new AVR, what would a step up from the Onkyo TX-NR747 be? I'm not loyal to any brand (I've only had an Onkyo HT-391, and Denon S500BT prior to my TX-NR747) - budget when the time came is probably around the $500CDN (and no more than $600CDN) range. Any suggestions now would still be helpful as by the time I ever decide to do this, those models would likely be even less money.

Edit: Oh, and and because I don't anticipate moving to a new space in the foreseeable future, the room everything is in (and oriented) can't do much more than a 5.1.2 set up, which is why I don't plan on getting anything new any time soon since the 747 does all of that pretty well right now.
How many speakers do you have? How many do you want?
How many video sources do you have? How many do you want?

"*2 HDCP 2.2 is supported on HDMI inputs 1/2/3, Main Out, and Sub Out. "

You can do either 7.2 or 5.2.2 with your current receiver. You don't have HDCP 2.2 on all of your HDMI inputs, only some of them.
You can't do wireless surrounds natively (that's a 2018 Yamaha exclusive, pretty much)
It doesn't look like you have Dolby Vision support, but you do get basic HDR.

All in all, unless you're dead set on running 5.2.4 or 7.x.2, need Dolby Vision or need more HDCP 2.2 inputs than you have, I don't see any reason to upgrade right now.
PlanetAVS and KSpan like this.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-13-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post

You can do either 7.2 or 5.2.2 with your current receiver. You don't have HDCP 2.2 on all of your HDMI inputs, only some of them.
You can't do wireless surrounds natively (that's a 2018 Yamaha exclusive, pretty much)

All in all, unless you're dead set on running 5.2.4 or 7.x.2, need Dolby Vision or need more HDCP 2.2 inputs than you have, I don't see any reason to upgrade right now.
Agreed, the only thing of significance a newer AVR within your budget will add is what is outlined above. AVRs like everything else are getting cheaper and better all the time. Cross the bridge when you get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-13-2019, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My current room can really only accommodate up to a max 5.2.2. I don't see myself having two subs, so it will likely be 5.1.2 at most. Video sources, at most, 4 (TV, PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo if they get their act together and release a competent system).

I'm not looking to upgrade exactly right now - not even in the next 6 months, even - because I know there's no point in me doing so at the moment. One of the things I'm not so keen on with the AVR I have is the limited HDCP 2.2 inputs - right now, I have enough for all of my 4K devices, but I would prefer if all of the inputs were HDCP 2.2 (or supported the next iteration) in case I end up with more. Dolby Vision is not that important as my TV doesn't support it anyway, but I don't imagine I will have my current TV forever (plus, I do game, so when the next consoles are out, 8K will be getting slightly more affordable). Having something that can drive even better speakers is always nice, too.

By the time I decide to go up from the NR747, the ones that are way out of my budget range right now might very well be well under my budget, so I'm just doing some pre-emptive research (I've dug myself into a deep, dank hole of HT research ever since I started looking into buying newer speakers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Agreed, the only thing of significance a newer AVR within your budget will add is what is outlined above. AVRs like everything else are getting cheaper and better all the time. Cross the bridge when you get there.
I think would rather have somewhat of an idea now so that when I do cross that bridge, I can make an informed decision without having to do too much research. The hope is that by the time I do decide, the high-end AVRs out right now will be within my budget range. I'm not looking to expand too much beyond what I have (mostly because my space won't particularly allow it), but if I can get something with more headroom, and features not currently available with my NR747, great.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-13-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Denon 3600H or Onkyo RZ-740 and up will get you more HDCP inputs, Dolby Vision support, eARC support and pre outs. The best way to get more headroom is to have preouts connecting to an external amp. Your current AVR doesn't have this ability
post #6 of 22 Old 07-14-2019, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Denon 3600H or Onkyo RZ-740 and up will get you more HDCP inputs, Dolby Vision support, eARC support and pre outs. The best way to get more headroom is to have preouts connecting to an external amp. Your current AVR doesn't have this ability
Thanks for those suggestions! I will look into them.

Unless I am mistaken, there is a pre-out on the TX-NR-747?

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/med...-nr747rear.jpg

It looks like it's below the Sub output.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-14-2019, 12:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for those suggestions! I will look into them.

Unless I am mistaken, there is a pre-out on the TX-NR-747?

https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/med...-nr747rear.jpg

It looks like it's below the Sub output.
The pre-outs you see there are subwoofer pre outs, which pretty much every current AVR has.

To power any of your other "passive" speakers, you would need pre-outs such as shown here on the back of the Denon x3500H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	denon 3500H.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	2590558  
post #8 of 22 Old 07-14-2019, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The pre-outs you see there are subwoofer pre outs, which pretty much every current AVR has.

To power any of your other "passive" speakers, you would need pre-outs such as shown here on the back of the Denon x3500H
That's why I come here - to get an education on these things. Thanks for that info. Are there any other brands that you would also recommend I also look into? I'm not married to Onkyo or Denon.

I also forgot to mention I'm in Canada, which limits what is available sometimes.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-14-2019, 03:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3436 Post(s)
Liked: 1910
sometimes what you think is an upgrade can be a downgrade. I wouldnt upgrade until it broke or you buy an 8k tv

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #10 of 22 Old 07-14-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked: 2674
Quote:

If you're okay with "B" stock, you can get an AVR for a significant discount from Gibby's like this Onkyo for example.
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....ceiver-bstock/

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #11 of 22 Old 07-14-2019, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's why I come here - to get an education on these things. Thanks for that info. Are there any other brands that you would also recommend I also look into? I'm not married to Onkyo or Denon.

I also forgot to mention I'm in Canada, which limits what is available sometimes.
Denons/Yamaha/Onkyo are popular in AVS for your price range. Marantz is also popular here but likely over budget.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-14-2019, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Based on your goals, it sounds like you want the Denon X3(n-2)00 where n is the current model.

So the current model is the X3600, so if you bought today it would be the 3400. But you’re not buying today, so wait 2 years and the the 3600 then.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-14-2019, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
If you're okay with "B" stock, you can get an AVR for a significant discount from Gibby's like this Onkyo for example.
https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket....ceiver-bstock/
I'm not adverse to looking at B stock to get an amazing deal on any piece of electronic equipment - I've seen that particular AVR at that price in a couple of different places (amazon and best buy) for that exact price. It's realllly tempting, I have to admit - $1100 off the retail price is kind of a mind blowing deal. How would the Onkyo TX-RZ820 compare to Denon's AVR-X4200W?

Quote:
Denons/Yamaha/Onkyo are popular in AVS for your price range. Marantz is also popular here but likely over budget.
Well, I wouldn't discount Marantz as an option - by the time I get around to doing this, there might be a model that's in the spec range I'm looking for that's in my budget (or at least the budget I have set for myself at this point, it's not set in stone).

Edit: Ahhh, screw it... I just went ahead, and got the RZ-820. That deal was simply too good to pass up.

Edit 2: My indecisiveness lead me to cancel that order. Probably for the best, unless someone can justify going from the NR747 to the RZ820?

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 07-15-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-16-2019, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Based on your goals, it sounds like you want the Denon X3(n-2)00 where n is the current model.

So the current model is the X3600, so if you bought today it would be the 3400. But you’re not buying today, so wait 2 years and the the 3600 then.
And if you were to decide between, for example, the Denon AVR-X3500H or the Onkyo TX-RZ830, which one would you pick?
post #15 of 22 Old 07-16-2019, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And if you were to decide between, for example, the Denon AVR-X3500H or the Onkyo TX-RZ830, which one would you pick?
Denon over Onkyo usually. But if you ever want to go to 9 channels, the Onkyo supports it but the Denon doesn't.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-16-2019, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Denon over Onkyo usually. But if you ever want to go to 9 channels, the Onkyo supports it but the Denon doesn't.
I don't foresee needing more than 7.2, at least not in my current arrangement, but I suppose the argument could be made that it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea to have more options available if the situation arises where I can actually expand.

Barring any personal preferences, which of these two is technically the better choice? I'm struggling to figure that out (I think mostly because there are things I really like about both of them) - the Denon is more expensive (both are on sale, even), and has less WPC than the TX-NR747 I currently have, which seems odd considering the Denon is a much more recent model. The Onkyo is less expensive (not much more than the RZ820 that's on sale from the same place), and I get more WPC than I have. I believe both support eARC, both have pre-out capabilities, but whether either of them will be able to support HDCP 2.3, I don't know. I kind of want to be able to future proof myself a little bit so that I can at least enjoy some of the features of HDMI 2.1 without having to rush out to get an AVR or TV that has that HDMI version.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-16-2019, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't foresee needing more than 7.2, at least not in my current arrangement, but I suppose the argument could be made that it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea to have more options available if the situation arises where I can actually expand.

Barring any personal preferences, which of these two is technically the better choice? I'm struggling to figure that out (I think mostly because there are things I really like about both of them) - the Denon is more expensive (both are on sale, even), and has less WPC than the TX-NR747 I currently have, which seems odd considering the Denon is a much more recent model. The Onkyo is less expensive (not much more than the RZ820 that's on sale from the same place), and I get more WPC than I have. I believe both support eARC, both have pre-out capabilities, but whether either of them will be able to support HDCP 2.3, I don't know. I kind of want to be able to future proof myself a little bit so that I can at least enjoy some of the features of HDMI 2.1 without having to rush out to get an AVR or TV that has that HDMI version.
I'd get the Onkyo. Some people prefer Denon for room equalization but based on what you mentioned, I'd get the Onkyo. Onkyo had some issues about 5 years ago but they seemed to have gotten past that.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-17-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd get the Onkyo. Some people prefer Denon for room equalization but based on what you mentioned, I'd get the Onkyo. Onkyo had some issues about 5 years ago but they seemed to have gotten past that.
Do you have any insight on whether the RZ830 could be updated to HDCP 2.3? I'm a little fuzzy on the details of that - or would eARC completely negate that concern altogether?

Another option could be to simply not be an idiot, and exercise a bit more patience haha
post #19 of 22 Old 07-17-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have any insight on whether the RZ830 could be updated to HDCP 2.3? I'm a little fuzzy on the details of that - or would eARC completely negate that concern altogether?

Another option could be to simply not be an idiot, and exercise a bit more patience haha

Sorry no I don't. By the time you purchase, there will likely be new models to evaluate so I wouldn't worry about all of this.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-17-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Not looking any time soon, but for when the time comes ...

One day later...

Quote:
Edit: Ahhh, screw it... I just went ahead, and got the RZ-820. That deal was simply too good to pass up.

This is why it's a bad idea to start doing research for something that you don't want to buy now, but "when the time comes". That research makes the time come much sooner.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-17-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Broderick View Post
One day later...

This is why it's a bad idea to start doing research for something that you don't want to buy now, but "when the time comes". That research makes the time come much sooner.
Yeah, I know... I'm weak to the deal D: - especially in Canada where AVRs are sometimes sometimes 3x the price as they are in the US, so seeing more than $1000 off of any retail price is a phenomenal deal. This is likely a next year purchase, if anything, unless Black Friday yields something that is simply too jaw-dropping to pass on.

On the plus side, I haven't purchased anything, and this research will still do me some good later on when I actually do purchase something (more than 1 day later, I swear) as it has helped me on what to look for in an AVR. The WPC thing is still fuzzy to me because I'm not sure whether it's the same principle as computer CPU Hz when comparing older models to newer ones?

I truly don't need anything new right now, and I would probably be better off finishing off my speaker swap-out with a new sub before I up my AVR game. If I had a TV or knew I was going to upgrade my TV to one that supported Dolby Vision, I would probably upgrade the AVR right now as an interim before going to 8K (whenever it becomes affordable).
post #22 of 22 Old 07-19-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So what did you end up getting? And how are you liking it?

Do it all or don't do it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page