Onkyo TX-RZ830 and TX-NR686 volume levels - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-15-2019, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Onkyo TX-RZ830 and TX-NR686 volume levels

Hi Folks,

I have recently bought two Onkyo receivers, a TX-RZ830 for the theater room, and a TX-NR686 for the living room. While they both sound great, I have noticed something odd about both of them.Until you get to almost 30 on the volume, you just can't hear it, and it doesn't get reasonably loud until the mid 60's. Now crank it into the 70's and the house starts rattling, so they WILL get loud, but WAY later in the volume range than I'm used to. I've had multiple sets of speakers hooked to each receiver with the same result. I've run the AccuEQ setup with very little change. These are my first Onkyo receivers. Is this just a normal quirk of Onkyo receivers, or am I missing something?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 157
@KrisHartman congrats that is a good combo, now you have flareconnect and can play music in multiple rooms.

I saw it explained in another thread so here is my interpretation. The volume knob is linear and has nothing to do with how hard you are pushing the amps. For example, 70 on one receiver might be the same volume level as 50 on another receiver.

Make sense?
post #3 of 4 Old 07-15-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Where are the channel trim controls for each AVR?
If any channel trim control is boosted or cut back, the overall volume level gain has changed..
Also the steps of volume level increases/decreases are not linear...
For lower level settings more steps are applied as to optimize finer adjustment for lower volume levels....

Just my $0.02...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-15-2019, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
Congrats that is a good combo, now you have flareconnect and can play music in multiple rooms.

I was looking at the zone 2 configuration, on the TX-RZ830 it looks like if I add center surrounds and height speakers I don't think the zone 2 will be available. I AM planning on using the zone 2 on the TX-NR686 in the living room to run some speakers on the back patio though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
I saw it explained in another thread so here is my interpretation. The volume knob is linear and has nothing to do with how hard you are pushing the amps. For example, 70 on one receiver might be the same volume level as 50 on another receiver.

Make sense?

I guess it could be the linearity of the volume pot. Just seems odd that I have to get past 30% to really hear anything from the speakers, and well past 50% to have a reasonable volume for watching a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Where are the channel trim controls for each AVR?
If any channel trim control is boosted or cut back, the overall volume level gain has changed.

Any boost or cutback should only be what the AccuEQ has done during the calibration process. One of the first things I did was to set the receiver back to factory presets, which I would IMAGINE to be a flat profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Also the steps of volume level increases/decreases are not linear...
For lower level settings more steps are applied as to optimize finer adjustment for lower volume levels....

Just my $0.02...

That's sort of been my experience with past pre-amps and receivers. I've never seen one that had to be run higher than 50% to get a reasonable volume level. Heck, with my 40 year old Sansui G-9700 receiver, I can't turn the volume up pas 40% and stay in the same room. Very strange......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page