AVS Forum banner

What would you rather get?

521 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ec_audio 
#1 ·
First post here, and curious what people have to say about this. Just upgraded my front stage with some high end speakers, on my way to 7.2.4.

Now I’m looking to upgrade my receiver to accommodate the changes. The 2 receivers I’m stuck between are the Onkyo TX-RZ830 for $500 or a barely used Marantz SR7012 for $900. Specs wise, they are about the same. Just trying to justify if the Marantz is really worth more.

Please chime in with your thoughts and help me to decide! I’m running Klipsch RP series speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#5 · (Edited)
Did you mean Onkyo? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1652514-onkyo-acknowledges-failed-units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html

I'm not sure that's relevant with newer models, though.

Maybe the HDMI CEC features have problems on the Marantz, but that's not unusual. Supposedly Yamaha receivers have the best standards compliance.

The Marantz includes Audyssey XT32/SubEq, but I'm not sure that's worth the extra money over the RZ830.

Just to be clear, I own a Denon AVR. I haven't heard a system with the Onkyo, or the Marantz.

#3 · (Edited)
@ec_audio never read anything about the 7012 having hdmi issues but worth looking into.

If you would rather upgrade sub(s) and put some money in your pocket, the rz830 is very capable and has some great reviews over in the dedicated thread.

Just to throw a wrench in things, the rz920 is on sale at a local refurbished seller for a little more than the rz830 and less than the 7012. Good power and the ability to expand to 11 channels. The reliable Yamaha rx-v2085 is also now on sale, not sure it goes to 7.2.4 though?

#4 ·
Thanks @beyond3r I’ll look into that more.

I’ve been reading that people think the Onkyo has a thin sound to it? Such as not a lot of dynamic range. Anyone care to chime in on that? I’ve been using Denon for awhile now.

As for the other options, I can only find the rz920 for $200 more, which seems like a good middle ground as well. And the Yamaha is a great receiver but can only process 9.2 looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 ·
The Marantz has a better room correction system and also a couple of more features such as having support for IMAX Enhanced and Auro-3D, if you rather save a few bucks and don't really care about neither Auro-3D (since there's barely anything on that format) or IMAX Enhanced (not enough content right now, who knows whether it'll take off or end up being a dead format) then the Onkyo isn't a bad choice neither.

#7 ·
one thing you might want to consider is wireless ecosystem. Pio/Onk/Int is Play-fi/Chromecast and Marantz is HEOS. I have been using HEOS for a while, it is pretty good. I just got a couple of Play-fi pre-amps and am still evaluating it. Right now I'd give the edge to HEOS, but Play-fi isn't far behind.

If multi-room and streaming doesn't matter to you, both systems also have apps for the AVR control. you may want to pull down the demo versions to see which you like better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.