Need help in picking new receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Need help in picking new receiver

Hey all.

Been out of the "buying new HT gear" game for awhile now but need help in choosing a new receiver. Some background. Have a home theater system in my family room (on our main floor) running off of a Denon AVR3313 which is great but I don't really use it much anymore because of a baby in the house.

So we are turning the "family room" in the basement into a semi dedicated theater. We'll be leaving the equipment on the main floor there as i'll still be using it for music often and movies where I can. However, that means I need some new equipment in the basement room. The room is 25 x 12 with 7.5 ceilings so its not a very large room, and the speakers are Klipsch synergy speakers I have laying around that I'll be using so they are quite efficient.

Long story short, I need a new HT receiver that will work well to play movies down in that room. Its going to be a projection system with a 130 to 150" screen, so I want a receiver that can provide adequate power to provide great sound to equally match the large screen size. I've been out of the game for sometime now, but in the past, I've spend around $1000 to $1500 buying receivers such as Denon AVR3300, Denon AVR4800 and Denon AVR3313, all amazing receivers that have served me quite well. However, looking around, it looks like I don't need to spend nearly that much to get the feature I need to really get this system up and running. I'm not looking for multi room playback capability, nor pre outs for a separate amp. I just want something that can sounds great, provide enough power to watch movies loud/reference level (even if I didn't have those efficient Klipsch speakers), have the latest surround formats and can handle me using it for switching to my projector for 4K (i'll be using a 4K blu ray player (or maybe xbox) and Amazon 4K firestick.

The models I've been looking at are as follows:

Yamaha RX-V683BL
Denon AVR-2500
Onkyo TX-RZ630

All of these receivers are obviously lower entry level type receivers but they all seem to offer everything I'm looking for in terms of features. Any reason any of these wouldn't work? Am I sacrificing a lot of sound quality by going with one of these entry level receivers as oppose to something in the $1,000 range?

I'm leaning towards the Yamaha as the reviews on the Denon and Onkyo aren't quite as good, and I've always heard nothing but great things about Yamaha receivers.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Midfi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by midfidude View Post
Hey all.

Been out of the "buying new HT gear" game for awhile now but need help in choosing a new receiver. Some background. Have a home theater system in my family room (on our main floor) running off of a Denon AVR3313 which is great but I don't really use it much anymore because of a baby in the house.

So we are turning the "family room" in the basement into a semi dedicated theater. We'll be leaving the equipment on the main floor there as i'll still be using it for music often and movies where I can. However, that means I need some new equipment in the basement room. The room is 25 x 12 with 7.5 ceilings so its not a very large room, and the speakers are Klipsch synergy speakers I have laying around that I'll be using so they are quite efficient.

Long story short, I need a new HT receiver that will work well to play movies down in that room. Its going to be a projection system with a 130 to 150" screen, so I want a receiver that can provide adequate power to provide great sound to equally match the large screen size. I've been out of the game for sometime now, but in the past, I've spend around $1000 to $1500 buying receivers such as Denon AVR3300, Denon AVR4800 and Denon AVR3313, all amazing receivers that have served me quite well. However, looking around, it looks like I don't need to spend nearly that much to get the feature I need to really get this system up and running. I'm not looking for multi room playback capability, nor pre outs for a separate amp. I just want something that can sounds great, provide enough power to watch movies loud/reference level (even if I didn't have those efficient Klipsch speakers), have the latest surround formats and can handle me using it for switching to my projector for 4K (i'll be using a 4K blu ray player (or maybe xbox) and Amazon 4K firestick.

The models I've been looking at are as follows:

Yamaha RX-V683BL
Denon AVR-2500
Onkyo TX-RZ630

All of these receivers are obviously lower entry level type receivers but they all seem to offer everything I'm looking for in terms of features. Any reason any of these wouldn't work? Am I sacrificing a lot of sound quality by going with one of these entry level receivers as oppose to something in the $1,000 range?

I'm leaning towards the Yamaha as the reviews on the Denon and Onkyo aren't quite as good, and I've always heard nothing but great things about Yamaha receivers.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Midfi
What speaker config will you be using? 5.1? 7.1? Are you using a sub and if so which one?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, I'll most likely be going with 5.1 with the possibility of 7.1, but not sure about that yet. For the sub, i'll either use my old SVS PB2 Plus (Dual 12" behemoth) or i'll move my PSA V1500 downstairs into that room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi, I'll most likely be going with 5.1 with the possibility of 7.1, but not sure about that yet. For the sub, i'll either use my old SVS PB2 Plus (Dual 12" behemoth) or i'll move my PSA V1500 downstairs into that room.
Of the three AVRs listed, they each have their pros/cons therefore I'd pick the one that you can get the best price. Some people prefer the Denon room correction (Audyssey MultiEQ XT) but others like the Yamaha YPAO system. The Denons also have more HDMI inputs. The Onkyo has the advantage of being 9 channel capable in case you want to expand to ATMOS down the road. IMO its worthwhile to get something with pre-outs for external amp support down the road if you have the budget. You would have to start with something like the Denon X3500H or the Onkyo RZ740 to get that (not sure where the Yamaha preouts start at in their model line)
post #5 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. Do you think with the Klipsch I have (I believe they have 95db efficiency), any of these budget receivers would have trouble taking them to reference level, all channels driven. I do like the Klipsch sound, personally, for movies, but its also a perk that they can very easily be driven by virtually any receiver.

Point taken about the pre-outs. I'll see if I can get a good enough deal I will try and get a receiver that has them.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Thank you. Do you think with the Klipsch I have (I believe they have 95db efficiency), any of these budget receivers would have trouble taking them to reference level, all channels driven. I do like the Klipsch sound, personally, for movies, but its also a perk that they can very easily be driven by virtually any receiver.

Point taken about the pre-outs. I'll see if I can get a good enough deal I will try and get a receiver that has them.
None of these are 'budget receivers' - they're all mid-tier offerings being sold at a discount since they're at the end of their model years or older. All are solid units that will have no issue delivering what you need and then some. Your question about all channels being driven is not really relevant since it very rarely, if ever, happens that all channels are blaring simultaneously.

If you want preouts you're looking at the models mentioned, though the RZ730 would be cheaper than the 740, and the Denon X3X00 would also have Audyssey XT32 that allows for full setup and EQ of 2 discrete subwoofers. I personally find Audyssey to be a bit overrated but that particular feature is handy.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback KSPan. I too find Audyssey overrated in my opinion. I did my own calibration for my AVR 3313 and prefer the sound over what Audyssey came up with. Just a personal preference I suppose.

But thanks, I may just stick to checking out these receivers then!
post #8 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

As KSpan mentioned, these are around the middle of the pack in the model line up but are deep discounted at the end of the model year. At least for the Denon and Onkyo AVRs. Considering that you have powerful subwoofers to offload the LFE workload from the AVR and you're not running 11.1, you should be fine but that is part of the reason I recommended preouts so that you can add an external amp for additional power if necessary. The high efficiency of the Klipschs will definitely help.

I think I've seen the Denon 3500H on sale for in the $400-$500 range but its up and down. I see the Onkyo RZ-730 (which goes up to 7.2.4) available for $450 currently.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

If I could get my hands on the 3500H brand new for $400 I'd be all over that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page