Connecting Sony passive subwoofer to new Yamaha RX-V685 via sony receiver using coax - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-19-2019, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Connecting Sony passive subwoofer to new Yamaha RX-V685 via sony receiver using coax

I currently have a Sony Muteki 5.2 HT system (HT-M5). I am planning to upgrade to Yamaha RX-V685.
I am extremely happy with the sound I am getting with my current system however it is limited to DTS and Dolby Digital formats. I am upgrading only for DTS X and Dolby Atmos.
Since V685 can work with 6 ohm speakers, I am planning to retain the speakers. They are all in excellent condition.

The front speakers of Sony are of following specification :
Speaker system 2-way, 3-driver, Bass reflex Speaker unit Woofer: 200 mm (8 in), cone type × 2 Tweeter: 25 mm (1 in), horn type Rated Impedance 6 ohms.
The Center speaker of Sony is of following specification :
Speaker system Full range, Bass reflex, Magnetically shielded Speaker unit Woofer, Rated Impedance 6 ohms
The surround speakers of Sony are of following specification :
Speaker system Full range, Closed box Speaker unit Woofer: 100 mm (4 in), cone type Rated Impedance 6 ohms

All the speakers have proprietary connectors. However, very few people know that it is just a latch system. The connector can be easily removed.
I am tight on budget since I bought a new LG C8 this month hence the salvaging.
That being said,
I have four questions.

1) Is it okay to use these speakers given the specifications which I think are compatible with RX-V685?
2) As per the title, the Sony system's Sub woofers are of passive type. I was wondering if I could follow this setup :
Connect the sub woofer pre-out of Yamaha to co-axial input of Sony system and use at least one of the existing sub woofer.
(Speaker system Bass reflex Speaker unit 250 mm (10 in), cone type Rated Impedance 4 ohms)
Will this work?
3) I want to have a 5.1.2 setup. I don't want to cut a hole in my ceiling and somehow I am not convinced on up-firing speakers that bounce sound off to ceiling.
I want to have 2 front HEIGHT SPEAKERS for the atmos.
Are front height speakers a good idea to achieve 5.1.2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-19-2019, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2099 Post(s)
Liked: 1399
don't think that's going to work. The sub out on the Yamaha is analog, the coax input is digital. It wont recognize the signal.

Not sure of your budget constraints but a small powered sub would probably sound better than what you currently use.
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--300-627

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--300-628

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9723

open box of above sub save $.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24613

Afro GT
post #3 of 3 Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you!! Did not know coax input is digital. Never used them.
The sub you have recommended are indeed my budget friendly. However, in my country they slap a lot of tariff on them and it's 4 times the price here.
I did come across Yamaha sub which is the closest to dayton sub you suggested. (In terms of price)
It's Yamaha NS-SW050

Also, any suggestions on the speakers I am trying to re-use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page