Un-"Official" Rogue Sphinx V1&V2 owners thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-19-2019, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Un-"Official" Rogue Sphinx V1&V2 owners thread

The Rogue Sphinx Integrated Amp. Made in the good ol' U.S. of A!!

I've had mine for about 4 months and am absolutely loving it! I have yet to roll the tubes, but I have found the overall sound to be amazing. Goldilocks would love the sound. Not too warm, not too cold. Nothing's lacking, nothing added. It's just right. Audiophile sound is rarely this affordable.

The phono stage sounds sweet (if a little quiet) on my V1, so I'm using an external phono preamp stage which has adjustable loading and gain buttons to boost the gain while listening to records. The line stage is amazing on this amp, and the headphone amp sounds great too.

Mine came with a home theater bypass as opposed to fixed level "Rec Out" RCAs.

My phono preamp is in one input. Blusound Node 2i is in input 2 for listening to Tidal MQA, acting as the DAC for my TV audio signal and for accessing my ripped digital files. And my Sony Blu-ray (I use for CD/SACD and "Blu-ray Audio" HiRes discs) is plugged into the third.

I use Energy RC-70's with an Energy subwoofer (using the preamp output) for speakers... and they pair extremely well with the Sphinx in both tonal quality and wattage. Revealing but not clinical and sterile. Sweet sounding but not coloured or warmed. What's there in the source is there in your ears! Synergy, defined.

Who else? Tube rolling experiences? Speakers you're pairing with it? Sources?

I'm a fan. You?

Last edited by Bubba_Buoy; 07-19-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-10-2020, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know I am late to the game on this, but just stumbled upon this thread.

I have had my Sphinx v1 for five years now. Currently running with KEF LS50 speakers in a large room. Two channel audio only. Has more than enough power and current to do these speakers justice. My setup is pretty modest: Jriver MC22 playing FLAC files on laptop -> NAD wireless DAC2 to send audio from laptop to Schiit Modi3 DAC (connected to NAD receiver via Audioquest Carbon coaxial cable) -> Analysis Plus Oval One interconnects to Sphinx v1 -> Audioquest Type 4 speaker cable to KEF LS50 speakers. No turntable, just FLAC.

Sound is full-bodied top to bottom. Soundstage is wide and deep with excellent instrument separation. The Rogue works extremely well with the KEFs. Prior to the KEFs, was running the Rogue with a pair of Magnepan MMGs. Also a good combination, but the KEFs match the MMGs overall performance as far as soundstage, but give much more bass punch to the presentation.

Currently running the Rogue with NOS National Gold Line tubes I had around from my all tube days many years ago. Quite a nice improvement over the standard JJ tubes. I've also used some RCA clear tops, but find them to not have the full bottom of the Nationals.

I know audiophiles snub class D amps in general, but the Sphinx is truly the real deal. Power to spare, even with notoriously inefficient speakers like the KEFs (and the Maggies). Cool running and energy efficient. I have no desire to go back to the space heaters of the past. Rogue makes a fine product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page