1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich428

post #1 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Sonos Amps

I am about to integrate an Emotiva RMC-1 or a Marantz AV-8805. I am amp shopping, but it just struck me that I have 4 NIB Sonos Amps (recently launched model).

Anyone have any thoughts on using these Amps? My goal is a more audiophile sound profile for 2ch music, while still running a 7.1.4 A/V setup for movies.

I’d love some well thought advice on my processor choice as well as what affordable amps I might use, if not the Sonos Amps. For stereo HiFi would I want to run a special amp for my fronts?

This is my first experience with separate processing. I’ve always run an AVR (right now I have a Denon X3500 running a 7.1 setup). I bought an X8500, but am concerned about having better sound for music and have another home for the X8500 (the X3500 is available, PM me if interested).

Also, I am looking for some high quality (new or used) fronts. The issue is these have to be wall mounted because of the room layout. Any thoughts, ideas, offers or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks for any advice. Go easy on me, like I said ...1st time integrating separates. Also PM me if you have any of the above for sale. I’m always looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rich428; 07-20-2019 at 05:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I think if you could sell those NIB amps for close to $2000 for all you'd be better served to buy a multichannel amp. Outlaw, Emotiva and Monolith all come to mind.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs
Surrounds - Easy as Pi
Storage - unRAID unDELL
Mains - Another piece of Pi
post #3 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich428 View Post
I am about to integrate an Emotiva RMC-1 or a Marantz AV-8805. I am amp shopping, but it just struck me that I have 4 NIB Sonos Amps (recently launched model).

Anyone have any thoughts on using these Amps? My goal is a more audiophile sound profile for 2ch music, while still running a 7.1.4 A/V setup for movies.

I’d love some well thought advice on my processor choice as well as what affordable amps I might use, if not the Sonos Amps. For stereo HiFi would I want to run a special amp for my fronts?

This is my first experience with separate processing. I’ve always run an AVR (right now I have a Denon X3500 running a 7.1 setup). I bought an X8500, but am concerned about having better sound for music and have another home for the X8500 (the X3500 is available, PM me if interested).

Also, I am looking for some high quality (new or used) fronts. The issue is these have to be wall mounted because of the room layout. Any thoughts, ideas, offers or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks for any advice. Go easy on me, like I said ...1st time integrating separates. Also PM me if you have any of the above for sale. I’m always looking!

different applications. Sonos is for a 2.1 x 4 zone set up.

have you tried HEOS? just like Sonos, but with it natively in your AVRs. And unlke SOnos, HEOS will support higher bit rate streaming.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsabom View Post
different applications. Sonos is for a 2.1 x 4 zone set up.

have you tried HEOS? just like Sonos, but with it natively in your AVRs. And unlke SOnos, HEOS will support higher bit rate streaming.

Thanks for the input. I have not tried HEOS, I’m far too invested in Sonos as of now. Does HEOS stand alone, or does the actual system reside on the AVR?

post #5 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 3173 Post(s)
Liked: 3164
Review of the SONOS AMP: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...onos-amp.6957/

The RMC-1 just got a new FW upgrade but still does not have Dirac Live. By all accounts if you want a stable platform go with Marantz; if you can handle bugs and user interface issues and can wait for room correction the RMC-1 is worth consideration. Or RMC-1L, or XMC-2, depending on your feature needs.

"Better sound for music" is an ambiguous goal that may or may not be served by an AVR or processor upgrade. What exactly is lacaking now?

Wall-mounted, or in-wall speakers? Revel and others make highly-regarded in-walls but they are not going to be cheap, and you lose a lot of placement flexibility, upgradability, etc.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Review of the SONOS AMP: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...onos-amp.6957/

The RMC-1 just got a new FW upgrade but still does not have Dirac Live. By all accounts if you want a stable platform go with Marantz; if you can handle bugs and user interface issues and can wait for room correction the RMC-1 is worth consideration. Or RMC-1L, or XMC-2, depending on your feature needs.

Thank you for the information. I’m leaning toward the 8805, but really the AVR-X8500 would make sense. I just always preferred Marantz sound. I find it richer than a Denon.

"Better sound for music" is an ambiguous goal that may or may not be served by an AVR or processor upgrade. What exactly is lacaking now?

I’m running inexpensive Klipsch R-14s for fronts, surrounds and Rear Surrounds. I tethered my G-42 LCR together and use it as a center. These R-14s are designed for surround, not 2.1 stereo. I am looking to improve 2.1 for music. Its an awkward space. Speakers have to be mounted on the side walls at 8’. I’m looking for smaller wall mountable decent fronts. I can aim them down and in so they are directed to the listening area. In-wall is not ideal, since I don’t have wall space facing the listening area.

Wall-mounted, or in-wall speakers? Revel and others make highly-regarded in-walls but they are not going to be cheap, and you lose a lot of placement flexibility, upgradability, etc.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I have not tried HEOS, I’m far too invested in Sonos as of now. Does HEOS stand alone, or does the actual system reside on the AVR?

your AVRs have HEOS now. download the apps - there are 2 apps: the Denon AVR app. and the HEOS app. you don't need teh AVR to use the HEOS app. this also requires that you connect your AVRs to your network -either via wired or WiFi.

for the AVR integration alone, makes HEOS a worthy competitor to Sonos, maybe even better, but that is a discussion for another thread.

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-21-2019, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

So I spent the weekend researching and I will be going the “separates” way for my media room 9.1.6 setup. I will be processing with a Marantz AV8805. So considering I’ve blown a bunch on processing for all 16 channels, what are my options for affordable amps. When I say affordable, I mean value... not necessary “cheap”. I figure that as technology changes in terms of video and sound processing, the amps will not need replacing.

Any thoughts? I don’t even understand what I need. I’m looking at the Marantz 8077 - 7 channel, so I would need 2 of these (sub has its own amp) and still be missing a channel? I’m really ignorant to this realm.

Thanks in advance.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-21-2019, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

What if I processed with a Denon X8500, but added a separate amp just for fronts? That seems like a less expensive way to have a nice amp sound for 2ch music, but also save the need for external amps for the rest of the channels used mainly for all of the current A/V sound profiles for movies.

smithsabom likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-21-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What if I processed with a Denon X8500, but added a separate amp just for fronts? That seems like a less expensive way to have a nice amp sound for 2ch music, but also save the need for external amps for the rest of the channels used mainly for all of the current A/V sound profiles for movies.

check out, https://www.essenceelectrostatic.com...0-class-d-amp/

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products...go-stereo.html

or Monoprice Monolith : https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15595

post #11 of 14 Old 07-21-2019, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Sonos Amps

These are some really interesting choices. I have researched the Monolith product and it gets mixed reviews, but still a lot of good.

What do you think about my option of running the X8500, and adding a better amp to power my fronts? This saves money and seemingly would accomplish what I’m considering important. The X8500 is supposed to be hardware upgradable to handle 8k when it becomes relevant. It already has eARC upgraded, though I don’t need that.

Last edited by Rich428; 07-21-2019 at 07:32 PM.
post #12 of 14 Old 07-21-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
These are some really interesting choices. I have researched the Monolith product and it gets mixed reviews, but still a lot of good.

What do you think about my option of running the X8500, and adding a better amp to power my fronts? This saves money and seemingly would accomplish what I’m considering important. The X8500 is supposed to be hardware upgradable to handle 8k when it becomes relevant. It already has eARC upgraded, though I don’t need that.

it sounds like a rockin' idea

post #13 of 14 Old 07-22-2019, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2550 Post(s)
Liked: 3985
I think if you are going to spend money to upgrade to a dedicated amp, should get a 3 channel to cover LCR as they do all the heavy lifting for movies and music. Might as well cover your center as well. Also, IMO, it doesn't make sense to spend a pile of money on an amp that will only give you 2-3dB of headroom as that is the main advantage of a separate amp. In other words, going from 140 watts of AVR power to 200 watts of amp power is a dB or two.

Take a look at this one:
https://www.d-sonic.com/amplifiers/m...three-channel/

400 watts/ch @ 8r
800 watts/ch @ 4r

Should be more power than you ever need and a much more worthwhile expenditure imo giving you 6-9 dB of dynamic headroom vs. 1-2 dB. They make higher powered versions as well.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-22-2019, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! This is really good information. I had been considering three-channel. I was worried it was sort of a one-off thing and wasn’t a very well accepted practice. I need to check my center. I am running a Klipsch G-42 LCR. I have it tethered so that all three speakers are pushing center. (I’m running a Denon X3500 and ran out of channels).

Have an opinion on that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page