Are all 7 speakers blown or is it my receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tonygeno
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are all 7 speakers blown or is it my receiver?

I have a yamaha TSR-7810 receiver which is connected to 7 speakers. Suddenly speakers started sounding "hoarse" at higher volumes. I think the problem has become worse in a couple of days. I thought may be my front speakers have gone bad. So, I tried running the center channel alone. That also sounds bad. Every speaker sounds bad in every channel combination at high volumes. Do you think all my speakers have gone bad? Or, is it my receiver that has gone bad?
I have access to an oscilloscope, but I don't have another amplifier (or receiver) or another speaker (other than the 7), to test whether the speakers are bad or the receiver.
What could cause either of the two problems?
Thanks.
codwapeace is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 2,879
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Need more info. What happened? Is your receiver warm/hot? Is your receiver flashing red?
lizrussspike is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Need more info. What happened? Is your receiver warm/hot? Is your receiver flashing red?
Nothing. Everything is normal except the harsh sound at high volumes. This situation has become worse over the course of a week. The harshness has slowly increased.

Thanks.
codwapeace is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonygeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Just north of the Sagamore Bridge
Posts: 6,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Doubt it's all 7 speakers. Sounds like the receiver has a problem.
liverpool_for_life likes this.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.
tonygeno is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 09:37 AM
Member
 
Noel Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
If you have a multimeter, check the resistance across the speaker terminals with nothing else hooked up to them. You should read approximately the stated resistance of the speakers (8, 6, or 4 ohm likely). If it fluctuates or is more than a few tenths of an ohm off, you probably have blown speakers.
Noel Hart is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,049
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked: 2674
Quote:
Originally Posted by codwapeace View Post
I have a yamaha TSR-7810 receiver which is connected to 7 speakers. Suddenly speakers started sounding "hoarse" at higher volumes. I think the problem has become worse in a couple of days. I thought may be my front speakers have gone bad. So, I tried running the center channel alone. That also sounds bad. Every speaker sounds bad in every channel combination at high volumes. Do you think all my speakers have gone bad? Or, is it my receiver that has gone bad?
I have access to an oscilloscope, but I don't have another amplifier (or receiver) or another speaker (other than the 7), to test whether the speakers are bad or the receiver.
What could cause either of the two problems?
Thanks.
How old is the AVR?
Have you tried running in direct or straight mode?
You can just go to best buy and pick up an AVR. Test it out to see if the issue persists. If no, it's the AVR. If yes it's the speakers. Either way return the AVR and get one cheaper somewhere else if it's the AVR.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #7 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DonoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,073
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Test the speakers with a multimeter. IF you decide to try the speakers on another receiver, keep the volume super low. Generally if you blow speakers you will hear a loud pop and/or smell burned epoxy (from the voice coil) and it should be fairly obvious. But maybe it happened when you were out of the room or some weird fluke happened. Blown speakers can become open and will present no load to the receiver, but they can also short out and if you try them on a different receiver, they could then blow that receiver. You could spend around $20 on a Uni-T multimeter. You can get even cheaper no-name multimeters which would be fine for this purpose (but I don't recommend the cheapest multimeters for use with mains voltage because the cheap multimeters have less safety features). For measuring resistance, without needing to be the most accurate, the cheap meters are fine.
DonoMan is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post
Test the speakers with a multimeter. IF you decide to try the speakers on another receiver, keep the volume super low. Generally if you blow speakers you will hear a loud pop and/or smell burned epoxy (from the voice coil) and it should be fairly obvious. But maybe it happened when you were out of the room or some weird fluke happened. Blown speakers can become open and will present no load to the receiver, but they can also short out and if you try them on a different receiver, they could then blow that receiver. You could spend around $20 on a Uni-T multimeter. You can get even cheaper no-name multimeters which would be fine for this purpose (but I don't recommend the cheapest multimeters for use with mains voltage because the cheap multimeters have less safety features). For measuring resistance, without needing to be the most accurate, the cheap meters are fine.
The tweeters are working. I can hear them. I have a sample audio of the problem. It is an AAC file (less than 1 MB). The song is in a foreign language but you can hear the problem. I change the volume to show I see distortion at high volumes.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_b5..._cNbUHotm/view
codwapeace is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
How old is the AVR?
Have you tried running in direct or straight mode?
You can just go to best buy and pick up an AVR. Test it out to see if the issue persists. If no, it's the AVR. If yes it's the speakers. Either way return the AVR and get one cheaper somewhere else if it's the AVR.
1.5 years.
Yes no difference. They sound pretty distorted at high volumes.
codwapeace is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 2,879
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 1694
Agree with others @codwapeace , pick on e up to demo at best buy, that you could return in 15 days. I bet it is the receiver, are there any other sound modes you can try on the Yamaha?
lizrussspike is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 07-20-2019, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,049
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked: 2674
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Agree with others @codwapeace , pick on e up to demo at best buy, that you could return in 15 days. I bet it is the receiver, are there any other sound modes you can try on the Yamaha?
I also believe the receiver to be the issue. If I'm not mistaken, repairs should be covered under warranty. The OP may want to check his source volume levels too. I had a similar incident a while back and turned out the source (computer) volume level was below 50%.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is online now  
post #12 of 14 Old 07-21-2019, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Need more info. What happened? Is your receiver warm/hot? Is your receiver flashing red?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post
Doubt it's all 7 speakers. Sounds like the receiver has a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Hart View Post
If you have a multimeter, check the resistance across the speaker terminals with nothing else hooked up to them. You should read approximately the stated resistance of the speakers (8, 6, or 4 ohm likely). If it fluctuates or is more than a few tenths of an ohm off, you probably have blown speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
How old is the AVR?
Have you tried running in direct or straight mode?
You can just go to best buy and pick up an AVR. Test it out to see if the issue persists. If no, it's the AVR. If yes it's the speakers. Either way return the AVR and get one cheaper somewhere else if it's the AVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post
Test the speakers with a multimeter. IF you decide to try the speakers on another receiver, keep the volume super low. Generally if you blow speakers you will hear a loud pop and/or smell burned epoxy (from the voice coil) and it should be fairly obvious. But maybe it happened when you were out of the room or some weird fluke happened. Blown speakers can become open and will present no load to the receiver, but they can also short out and if you try them on a different receiver, they could then blow that receiver. You could spend around $20 on a Uni-T multimeter. You can get even cheaper no-name multimeters which would be fine for this purpose (but I don't recommend the cheapest multimeters for use with mains voltage because the cheap multimeters have less safety features). For measuring resistance, without needing to be the most accurate, the cheap meters are fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Agree with others @codwapeace , pick on e up to demo at best buy, that you could return in 15 days. I bet it is the receiver, are there any other sound modes you can try on the Yamaha?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I also believe the receiver to be the issue. If I'm not mistaken, repairs should be covered under warranty. The OP may want to check his source volume levels too. I had a similar incident a while back and turned out the source (computer) volume level was below 50%.

I got hold of an oscilloscope. Here is a plot from it. (The blue curve is the pre-out. The yellow is the speaker output with an 8 ohm resistive load).
So, it is my receiver. The problem is affecting all the channels, so I am guessing that it is a common capacitor that drives all the channels has gone bad. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190721_121305.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	2592984  
codwapeace is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 07-21-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 4,369
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked: 1577
Quote:
Originally Posted by codwapeace View Post
I got hold of an oscilloscope. Here is a plot from it. (The blue curve is the pre-out. The yellow is the speaker output with an 8 ohm resistive load).
So, it is my receiver. The problem is affecting all the channels, so I am guessing that it is a common capacitor that drives all the channels has gone bad. What do you guys think?
Power supply, maybe?
bobknavs is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 07-22-2019, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Power supply, maybe?
No. It is fine. I tested with a multimeter. The positive and negative rails are also fine. I have no idea what could cause this clipping on all channels. I was guessing that it was the negative rail which was causing this issue, but it is at full 60 V DC and so is the positive rail.
codwapeace is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off