eARC questions... atmos, eARC tv and xbox one X - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie

post #1 of 15 Old 07-20-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
eARC questions... atmos, eARC tv and xbox one X

So Ive got a hometheatre / game room being put together but No I am caught up in VRR and eARC and all the newest bells and whistles that come with TVs now.

My equipment is (will be):

Anthem MRX 1160 with 7.1.4
Xbox One X
LG 86inch 9070

My question is how do I get HDMI from the xbox to give an ATMOS signal to the Anthem aswell as VRR etc to the LG?

1) Can I connect the xbox with eARC to the LG and passthrough the ATMOS signal via HDMI to the Anthem? A lot of literature on the LG side implies that you can but vague. Same as other sources I have read, nothing clearly say yes or no.

2) if not is there a splitter option that I can send the xbox to both the Anthem and the LG from the xbox? eARC compliant for the LG

Any help would be great as I am making some purchases blind here and wont get to test the setup for several months, at which point returns are a hassle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-20-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Will your equipment be in a rack room or at the TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 07-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Run everything thru the AVR and one hdmi cord from the HDMI ARC output on the AVR to the tv.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-20-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 8436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8canuck View Post
So Ive got a hometheatre / game room being put together but No I am caught up in VRR and eARC and all the newest bells and whistles that come with TVs now.

My equipment is (will be):

Anthem MRX 1160 with 7.1.4
Xbox One X
LG 86inch 9070

My question is how do I get HDMI from the xbox to give an ATMOS signal to the Anthem aswell as VRR etc to the LG?

1) Can I connect the xbox with eARC to the LG and passthrough the ATMOS signal via HDMI to the Anthem? A lot of literature on the LG side implies that you can but vague. Same as other sources I have read, nothing clearly say yes or no.

2) if not is there a splitter option that I can send the xbox to both the Anthem and the LG from the xbox? eARC compliant for the LG

Any help would be great as I am making some purchases blind here and wont get to test the setup for several months, at which point returns are a hassle.
Did you mean Anthem MRX 1120? or is an 1160 out already?

All components should plug into the AVR, and a single HDMI cable to your TV.

ARC is only for sending audio from Smart TV built-in apps to the AVR.
the ARC (Audio Return Channel) uses the same HDMI cable that normally feeds video to your TV from your AVR
(But there is no video source from your AVR while a TV's built in app is used)

XBO X should connect via HDMI to the Anthem where it extracts the ATMOS audio to your speakers
The Anthem then passes the Video signal to the TV (just like any other Bluray/UHD player)

If you want NetFlix ATMOS you must have the 4K Netflix account
load the Dolby ATMOS access App on your XBO X, and Set the audio to Bitstream in the settings ...

XBO ATMOS audio thread here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-x...-playback.html

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 07-20-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-20-2019, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Did you mean Anthem MRX 1120? or is an 1160 out already?

All components should plug into the AVR, and a single HDMI cable to your TV.

ARC is only for sending audio from Smart TV built-in apps to the AVR.
the ARC (Audio Return Channel) uses the same HDMI cable that normally feeds video to your TV from your AVR
(But there is no video source from your AVR while a TV's built in app is used)

XBO X should connect via HDMI to the Anthem where it extracts the ATMOS audio to your speakers
The Anthem then passes the Video signal to the TV (just like any other Bluray/UHD player)

If you want NetFlix ATMOS you must have the 4K Netflix account
load the Dolby ATMOS access App on your XBO X, and Set the audio to Bitstream in the settings ...

XBO ATMOS audio thread here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-x...-playback.html

Sorry, the 1120... too many model numbers in my head.

THis is what I was worried about. Becuase eARC flips things around and tries to make the TV the center of the hub, everything that has been done before is now kind of getting in the way...

What you are describing has worked for dolby atmos. Ive been doing it for over a year. eARC is kind of flipping this whole thing in that the TV is supposed to be the center connection of everything, as 8k and 120hz etc need ridiculous bandwidths that receivers dont passthrough yet.
Basically, with the traditional way of xbox to AVR to TV, there is no option to get the AVR to pass through the XBOX eARC video to the TV (yet).

In order to get VRR (variable refresh rate), auto low latency mode etc. that eARC enables... The Xbox (or PC etc) must be connected directly to the TV. The TV then SHOULD passthrough the Dolby atmos to the receiver after. Opposite of how its been done in the past. I just haven't seen it done despite what the websites all describe.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-20-2019, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich428 View Post
Will your equipment be in a rack room or at the TV?

the rack room ideally. Id love to have the xbox with the AVR and just split the signal (lose some functionality of arc I assume) but only send one hdmi to the TV in the end. Not xbox, to the tv, and then back. I just cant find hdmi 2.1 compliant splitters.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-20-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
the rack room ideally. Id love to have the xbox with the AVR and just split the signal (lose some functionality of arc I assume) but only send one hdmi to the TV in the end. Not xbox, to the tv, and then back. I just cant find hdmi 2.1 compliant splitters.

Depending upon how far away the rack room is from the TV, will dictate how you do this. You’ll need your xBox controllers to have a good signal back to the rack room from where they’ll be used. And you’ll have to feed the TV A/V before you even consider the ARC part. I’m sorry if this seems drawn out, but I want to give you the best information I’m comfortable with giving, without making assumptions.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-20-2019, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich428 View Post
Depending upon how far away the rack room is from the TV, will dictate how you do this. You’ll need your xBox controllers to have a good signal back to the rack room from where they’ll be used. And you’ll have to feed the TV A/V before you even consider the ARC part. I’m sorry if this seems drawn out, but I want to give you the best information I’m comfortable with giving, without making assumptions.

No worries, thorough is good.

As it stands Im in the 10-12 ft range, from the AVR to the TV. The xbox COULD be placed out with the tv if needed. I knew there are range issues HDMI 2.1 but im not pushing 8k at 120hz (or 8k at all so I was unsure how vital that would be)
post #9 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22558 Post(s)
Liked: 12279
Quote:
Sorry, the 1120... too many model numbers in my head.

THis is what I was worried about. Becuase eARC flips things around and tries to make the TV the center of the hub, everything that has been done before is now kind of getting in the way...

What you are describing has worked for dolby atmos. Ive been doing it for over a year. eARC is kind of flipping this whole thing in that the TV is supposed to be the center connection of everything, as 8k and 120hz etc need ridiculous bandwidths that receivers dont passthrough yet.
Basically, with the traditional way of xbox to AVR to TV, there is no option to get the AVR to pass through the XBOX eARC video to the TV (yet).

In order to get VRR (variable refresh rate), auto low latency mode etc. that eARC enables... The Xbox (or PC etc) must be connected directly to the TV. The TV then SHOULD passthrough the Dolby atmos to the receiver after. Opposite of how its been done in the past. I just haven't seen it done despite what the websites all describe.
Not sure what you mean by "eARC is kind of flipping this whole thing"?

ARC was first released on AVRs back in 2010 and as ProManiac indicated ONLY refers to passing audio from the TV (ie. on board smart apps or from sources connected to the TV) to the AVR. eARC does not change this, rather simply now allows the TV to pass HD audio (eg. Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-MA) when connected to an eARC capable AVR. Note also that some sources (eg. Netflix) use Atmos over DD+ which does not require eARC, rather only ARC as DD+ is not HD audio. Also, although eARC is a part of the HDMI 2.1 spec, it does not necessarily mean the device that features it is fully HDMI 2.1 compliant (eg. NAD 1120 is HDMI 2.0a).

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 07-21-2019 at 02:06 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
No worries, thorough is good.

As it stands Im in the 10-12 ft range, from the AVR to the TV. The xbox COULD be placed out with the tv if needed. I knew there are range issues HDMI 2.1 but im not pushing 8k at 120hz (or 8k at all so I was unsure how vital that would be)

The best practice here is to test your controllers with the XBox at the rack connected to an HDMI Input on the AVR. If they work, then eARC is not even necessary for you. (You’d only need eARC if you’re wanting the TV apps to play audio through the system). ARC is hit or miss, by the way. Sometimes you can do everything exactly right, and it just doesn’t work. I’ll get flamed here I’m sure, but ARC is sort of a strange animal. When mixing the various mfrs ARC equipment, sometimes they just don’t like each other, throw in the many different possible HDMI cables and you compound the ARC issue.

So... that said and assuming everything works from the rack out (I still always use the AVR’s ARC output and the TV’s ARC input), you’ll want to assure you have a proper cable. I like BlueJeans cables. They use Belkin cable and fabricate their own ends. They sell a variety of types and qualities in many lengths. I’d get a good one that meets your distance needs.

So... if you CANNOT get the controllers to work, then you might even want to run an longer HDMI from the Xbox back to the AVR. Same setup (inputs/outputs), just longer cable into the AVR Input since the XBox isn’t going to sit on the rack. You should have no issue with a 15’ run with a good Blue Jeans HDMI cable.

These are best practices. I haven’t addressed ARC (because I hate it!, too finicky AND - I don’t feel this is a situation it was intended for).

I don’t think you can use a non ARC input on the TV and route that back to the AVR through the ARC input your AVR occupies. TV’s are not matrix switches, (like an AVR or Straight HDMI matrix is). If it came down to it, you could probably install an inexpensive HDMI Matrix switch at the TV, but then you’re dealing with ARC again.

Good luck with it all. It should all work fine with the above, but I think you know these options already.

Anyone else? What’d I miss?

post #11 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

First I want to say thank you to everyone for being super helpful. Forums rarely are in most cases, All this is crap I had to struggle through over a year ago and had a lot of wasted time and money one gear until I made it work.

my set up was XBOX to AVR, AVR (arc) to TV (arc). The controller range wasn't an issue and I used its power on function to IR balst the AVR on too. Then the ARC for volume with the TV remote. Not a single piece of gear seen or heard. It was wonderful! ATMOS at last.

Then came this new issue that not everyone is really following, and seems to be sticking point:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...fo-thread.html

LG is making tvs that take video with VRR (variable refresh rate) Auto low latency (game mode when a game turns on) as well as above 4k resolutions at higher refresh rates. NO AVR bypasses a signal through it for these features. The video signal (for the time being) must come direct from the video source. The TV itself is now equipped to bypass the audio from a source to the AVR via its eARC input.

This brings up SO many questions with no answers. Does the eARC input on the tv go into the AVR input or ARC input? do I need eARC on the DVR as well (oh which there is effectively none available)? Are the AVRs just not there for this yet and the traditional source>AVR>TV option is coming? Can I SPLIT the HDMI 2.0b from the xbox? No splitters online seem to be clear on this fact.

In the end I got exactly what I figured Id get in asking this question. Thanks for the help. I can continue to work things as I have, and you guys recommended, to get ATMOS and 4k. the nicer video toys shall have to wait until I get the tv and spend too much time and money trying to optimize for the VRR from a direct video signal.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22558 Post(s)
Liked: 12279
Quote:
This brings up SO many questions with no answers. Does the eARC input on the tv go into the AVR input or ARC input? do I need eARC on the DVR as well (oh which there is effectively none available)? Are the AVRs just not there for this yet and the traditional source>AVR>TV option is coming? Can I SPLIT the HDMI 2.0b from the xbox? No splitters online seem to be clear on this fact.

In the end I got exactly what I figured Id get in asking this question. Thanks for the help. I can continue to work things as I have, and you guys recommended, to get ATMOS and 4k. the nicer video toys shall have to wait until I get the tv and spend too much time and money trying to optimize for the VRR from a direct video signal.
1. eARC is simply a subset of ARC, therefore the connection is the same (ie. TV(ARC) to AVR(ARC)). However, unlike ARC, eARC requires a "High speed HDMI cable with Ethernet".
2. As indicated numerous times now in this thread, ARC/eARC "ONLY" apply to the TV and the device receiving the TV's audio (eg. AVR, sound bar).
3. eARC has been firmware updated to many 2017 and 2018 models and most 2019 models feature it from the factory.
Rich428 likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. eARC is simply a subset of ARC, therefore the connection is the same (ie. TV(ARC) to AVR(ARC)). However, unlike ARC, eARC requires a "High speed HDMI cable with Ethernet".
2. As indicated numerous times now in this thread, ARC/eARC "ONLY" apply to the TV and the device receiving the TV's audio (eg. AVR, sound bar).
3. eARC has been firmware updated to many 2017 and 2018 models and most 2019 models feature it from the factory.
I'm not arguing that. I am arguing, rightly, that I can't put my xbox video THROUGH my AVR and not lose the VRR etc that I want. I am asking if anyone has experience with connected an xbox to my TV and then use the eARC as the Dolby ATMOS passthrough to the AVR as the LG website recommends it

I am asking BECAUSE its not how I would think it would be done. I am asking because I have never done things this way before. Ive always connected through the AVR. I am asking if anyone has tried to do what LG says the tv does.

So you can indicate numerous times what you have done with your set up, but until you tell me you've run a Video signal with VRR through an ANTHEM 1120, or own an LG9070 and confirmed that the literature for the TV stating that you can use eARC channel to PASSTHROUGH dolby atmos from another source… I remain unsure.

I get it, Im asking a weird question. ARC is wonky at times and eARC is new and weird with HDMI 2.1 getting in the thick of things. I get that using an HMDI input as an output sounds pretty goddamn weird. however if the manufacturer is telling me its what it does I want to investigate it.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-21-2019, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 244
the LG should have no problem passing the atmos from the xbox through eARC if you need to directly connect for the VRR to work, however does the anthem have eARC?

Edit: I just pulled the datasheet and all the release notes for software updates on the anthem 1120, I saw no mention on eARC any where so Im going with its unsupported at this time. Both the TV and Receiver (or sound bar ) need to support eARC for it to work.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred

Last edited by VisionxOrb; 07-21-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-06-2019, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
the LG should have no problem passing the atmos from the xbox through eARC if you need to directly connect for the VRR to work, however does the anthem have eARC?

Edit: I just pulled the datasheet and all the release notes for software updates on the anthem 1120, I saw no mention on eARC any where so Im going with its unsupported at this time. Both the TV and Receiver (or sound bar ) need to support eARC for it to work.
You are right, I was hoping for firmware to save that purchase but its might not have the HDMI 2.0 a/b etc to match.

Soo... no matter what route I take here something is coming up short. VRR vs ATMOS isn't a fun choice to have to make.

All my research on HDMI splitters looks sketching and unreliable too. Damn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page