AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Receiver Quality (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3079854-receiver-quality.html)

martinav 07-21-2019 09:20 AM

Receiver Quality

I have had much trouble finding a receiver that lasts more than 2-4 years. I dont buy the cheap stuff, but yet... To no avail. They just dont seem to last. My last one, a Denon X3100W was the one I thought would last a long time. But, no. I have also had a Yamaha RX371, and two HK series. I had a 3500, and I forget the other.. maybe a AVS 470?

Anywho... are they just a disposable item now?

Thanks!

tidwelr1 07-21-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinav (Post 58322088)
I have had much trouble finding a receiver that lasts more than 2-4 years. I dont buy the cheap stuff, but yet... To no avail. They just dont seem to last. My last one, a Denon X3100W was the one I thought would last a long time. But, no. I have also had a Yamaha RX371, and two HK series. I had a 3500, and I forget the other.. maybe a AVS 470?

Thanks!

Do you have a fan to keep the AVR cool?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pete7874 07-21-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

I have also had a Yamaha RX371,

My RX-V471 lasted me about 7 years, until I killed it recently by powering 4 Ohm speakers with it. :o

ChromeJob 07-21-2019 01:06 PM

Receiver Quality

Nope. Yamaha has been known as a reliable brand, but user posts in the last year suggest they are having issues (but not as dramatic as Onkyo did!). Keep in mind, negative reports here on forums are NOT a scientific sampling.

I’ve never had a Yamaha RX-V or HTR die on me. I either sold them, or (in the case of my RX-V663) it’s still in the closet waiting for a new forever home.

How are your AVRs failing on you? Could you have problematic source power in your home? Are you maxing them out at reference volume? Using low impedance speakers?

I don’t like to point fingers, but if you’ve been trying several brands and gotten the same poor reliability, it could be that your usage habits are the common denominator. Just an idea….

pase22 07-21-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

AVR's and amps need a lot of space around them since they generate a lot of heat. If kept in an enclosed cabinet, That heat has nowhere to evacuate creating an oven type environment. They'll slowly bake and melt the insides reducing it's life expectancy considerably.

Seilerbird 07-21-2019 01:52 PM

Technology is moving so fast I don't mind replacing anything after a few years.

mr645 07-21-2019 02:30 PM

I too have never had a receiver fail. I still use a Yamaha RX V850 in my office to power a pair of Paradigm book shelf speakers for a computer. Now the display went dark but it just does the one function anyway, never even gets turned off. But works fine

Sold a B&K unit when I switched from S-VHS inputs to HDMI

I have a Pioneer Elite VSK-32 now sitting unused from when I upgraded to 4k