AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   No sub at all. Two receivers/two subwoofers. I've tried all I know. (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3079950-no-sub-all-two-receivers-two-subwoofers-ive-tried-all-i-know.html)

Brandon Jaynes 07-21-2019 05:43 PM

No sub at all. Two receivers/two subwoofers. I've tried all I know.

Alright, I have Googled and tried every fix I can find with the search terms I have used, so this is my last resort. For the purposes here, I want to listen to music on Youtube through the Roku app. I have a TV, a Sony soundbar, and the Roku device. All work fine at this point, but hey more bass.

I'm trying to get ONE subwoofer to work with the soundbar, but there is zero coming out of the sub.

To strike a few thoughts, I have tried TWO Onkyo receivers -- I don't think the makes will matter to this question -- and I have tried TWO subwoofers, a Klipsch and BIC Acoustic. I don't think the makes will matter here, either.

So, Roku to receiver via HDMI; receiver output to TV via HDMI; *one* single connection on the back of the receiver -- the preamp output for sub via RCA -- to the subwoofer.

Having Googled, I have tried the following in the receiver(s) setup:

1) Speakers are set to small (I have also tried front to large with double bass).
2) Subwoofer is set to "yes."
3) I have set audio settings as best as I understand them to use HDMI with the appropriate input on the front.
4) For the older Onkyo, when I go into setup SP Config for subwoofer, the test sound will play. This will not play on the newer.

For troubleshooting:

1) Bypassed the LFE output on the back of the receiver(s) and manually hooked front L and R to the back of the subwoofer and set the switch(es) to have the sub process the crossover instead of the receiver.
2) Connected the Roku directly to the TV, the OPT out of the TV to the receiver, with the sub(s) connected via LFE and reconfigured TV to output audio via audio out to receiver. I configured the receiver appropriately here, too, I think.
3) Both subs get feedback noise when I touch my finger to the RCA cable.
4) The sub power is set to "on" not "auto."
5) The sub is connected to the LFE/preamp output of the receiver and not anywhere else. I have checked this sixteen times.
6) TV passthrough is "off."

I simply do not see that the signal for 5.1/2.1, et al., processing is getting from the Roku through the output of the receiver?

I am down to thinking if you do not have other speakers, the Onkyo receivers may not (?) only process the signal for the sub out via the LFE without any impedance being measured from L/R (center?).

Anyway, I'm at a loss for the next step outside of finding a different brand of receiver or buying L/R channels (or a center?). Any direction is appreciated.

Brandon

jdsmoothie 07-22-2019 04:40 AM

How is the sound bar connected? To the TV or to the receiver?

Would be much simpler to purchase a sound bar that includes a wireless sub.

blynott 07-22-2019 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58325188)

As far as I know Youtube doesn't support a subwoofer but only outputs stereo. Maybe that has changed?

Brandon Jaynes 07-22-2019 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsmoothie (Post 58325188)

Roku - HDMI - receiver(-RCA-sub) - HDMI - Soundbar - HDMI - TV

And, yes, yes it would..

jdsmoothie 07-22-2019 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Jaynes (Post 58325338)
Roku - HDMI - receiver(-RCA-sub) - HDMI - Soundbar - HDMI - TV

And, yes, yes it would..

Can't confirm with Onkyo, but on Denon/Marantz models when <HDMI Audio Out> is set to "TV" (ie. sound bar in your case), there is no audio passed to the speakers/sub connected to the receiver.