Dying unit needs replacing, focus on my 1080p 2.0 setup for now, or future proofing? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-22-2019, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dying unit needs replacing, focus on my 1080p 2.0 setup for now, or future proofing?

I have a 1080p 2.0 setup. I have speakers and subs to go up to 5.1, but I rearranged my living room to make room for babies and running everything in stereo just made more sense. My kids are 5 and 3 right now and I don't see myself changing from 2.0 any time soon.

My current unit started to go into protection mode whenever any sound of moderately high volume played, and I'm not sure if it's worth the time to troubleshoot.

I was thinking of getting a used receiver that does the job for 1080p 2.0 content, but there are so many out there, and I have not been following the receiver market for a very long time. I don't even really know where to begin my search. I feel like there is probably a "sweet spot" to look for that will give me a lot of bang for my buck, if all I care about is 1080p 2.0.

Another thing I would prioritize is the quality of the on screen display. I haven't had any receivers with HDMI OSD and I would like this feature for convenience. My receiver is in another room and whenever I need to interact it with outside of switching inputs, it's a pain in the butt. But I feel like if I'm looking for used 1080p 2.0 receivers, I might be excluding some really high quality older units if this is a deal breaker, so I can be flexible on this.

The quality and user friendliness of the OSD is the hardest thing to shop for. I have no points of reference. It would be really helpful to know things like, "Yamaha receivers past 20XX have decent OSD, Brand Y past 20YY," etc.

I doubt I would ever go more than 5.1 speakers.

I am quite interested in stereo audio quality for music, but I feel like my room is very limiting. It's an open floor plan house with high angled ceilings, and we're more likely to be up and around doing stuff than we are to be sitting in the optimal viewing/listening position.

I have an LG 50PS60 50" 1080p plasma, which is the next thing I was planning on upgrading. I had my eye on 2018 65" LG OLED or Vizio P65 quantum. I am kinda sad I missed out on the Vizio P65 quantum sets when they were being sold on clearance under $1k, but my current display is still going strong. Maybe I'll upgrade next year, maybe not.

Regarding future proofing, I was wondering if there are any receivers that would pass through 4k variable refresh rate up to 120hz for gaming. I am pretty sure this is an HDMI 2.1 feature and this is a super new spec in receivers. This is the main reason I was considering holding off buying a midrange unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-22-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by panfist View Post

The quality and user friendliness of the OSD is the hardest thing to shop for. I have no points of reference. It would be really helpful to know things like, "Yamaha receivers past 20XX have decent OSD, Brand Y past 20YY," etc.
the OSD on the Denon 4400 is much better than the OSD on the s730

hope it helps

Main: Sony XBR75900E, Denon AVR-x4400, Denon POA-5200 (L/R(a) Goldenear supersat 60, (b)FW Boston acoustic Bravo 2. C Goldenear supersat 60C,
SSR DIYSG Volt 6v2. RSS Volt 6, Atmos(.4) Boston acoustics soundware XS
HSU research ULS -15, Episode ES-IW-Dual 8 / Monitor audio IWA 250 amp 2nd Rm: Visio E55, Denon avr730H, Boston Acoustics CR8, cr400 sub.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-23-2019, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm in the same boat as you, my current receiver is ok/decent.. it only supports 5.1 and limited HDR support. I want to upgrade to something with more power, but I'm waiting for more receivers with HDMI 2.1 support to come out because if I'm going to buy a new receiver I want it to be fully compatible with whatever future 4k TV i end up getting.

I'm a fan of buying the right thing once, but on the other hand there's always some new/future tech on the horizon. I guess it's a matter of priorities, if gaming is a priority, maybe wait. Otherwise, just buy what works great now and enjoy it without overthinking it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page