No Video output Denon X6400H - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-02-2019, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 5
No Video output Denon X6400H

I originally posted this in the LG thread, but I'm still unsure if it is an AVR or TV issue.

I am having trouble getting my (just delivered) LG OLED 55C9 to cooperate with my Denon X6400H (or visa-versa).

This started the other day when I came home from work and the TV would not power on. I decided to replace rather than attempt a repair on a 12 yr old TV.

The Denon has been in place since Late 2017, formally connected to a Pioneer 5070 Plasma. All sources go into the Denon, HDMI from Output 1 of the Denon to the TV. I made no changes to the Denon when I connected the LG.

The LG will not display Video from the Denon, it WILL output Audio. The LG recognizes that a cable is plugged into the port, but displays "No Signal". If I go directly from a source (blu-ray or cable box) I get Audio & Video. I have the same results using HDMI 1 or 2 on the LG and Zone 1 and 2 output on the Denon. LG support (chat) had nothing for me, since I get A/V going direct from source.

I suspected an outdated or faulty HDMI cable so I ran to Best Buy and picked up a rocketfish "4K ULTRA HD & HDR compatible" cable. No change. My last try was to perform a Factory Reset of the Denon - no change.

I'm beginning to fear that the Denon has failed at the same time as the old TV? It seems my next step is to bring the bedroom tv out and see how the Denon gets along with that. That will need to wait, it is wall mounted and all wires are neatly tucked away with numerous zip-ties, not up for tearing that all apart just now.

Am I missing another possibility here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-02-2019, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

I've toggled ARC on/off also with no change.
I don't think I need ARC anyway, I have a Harmony Remote.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-02-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
1. There is a <4k Signal Format> setting under the Video menu of the AVR. Try setting it to "Enhanced." Also on the TV ensure <HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color> is enabled.
2. It's generally best if you use "Premium" certified 4k HDMI cables --> https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/pr...e/faq.aspx#156
3. ARC = Audio Return Channel - The audio from the TV's smart apps (eg. Netflix) is passed back to the AVR. HDMI Control on the AVR does not have to be enabled so this setting has nothing to do with your Harmony remote which would simply assist in powering ON/OFF the HDMI devices.
4. The X6400H is discussed in the 2017 Denon AVR Owner's thread (review posts 1-7 in that thread for more helpful information on your AVR) --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html. Post additional questions on this topic or a new topic in that thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-02-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Go into the LG OSD and turn OFF the CEC feature...
Now try it...

Just my $0.02...
post #5 of 8 Old 08-02-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_nj View Post
I originally posted this in the LG thread, but I'm still unsure if it is an AVR or TV issue.

I am having trouble getting my (just delivered) LG OLED 55C9 to cooperate with my Denon X6400H (or visa-versa).

This started the other day when I came home from work and the TV would not power on. I decided to replace rather than attempt a repair on a 12 yr old TV.

The Denon has been in place since Late 2017, formally connected to a Pioneer 5070 Plasma. All sources go into the Denon, HDMI from Output 1 of the Denon to the TV. I made no changes to the Denon when I connected the LG.

The LG will not display Video from the Denon, it WILL output Audio. The LG recognizes that a cable is plugged into the port, but displays "No Signal". If I go directly from a source (blu-ray or cable box) I get Audio & Video. I have the same results using HDMI 1 or 2 on the LG and Zone 1 and 2 output on the Denon. LG support (chat) had nothing for me, since I get A/V going direct from source.

I suspected an outdated or faulty HDMI cable so I ran to Best Buy and picked up a rocketfish "4K ULTRA HD & HDR compatible" cable. No change. My last try was to perform a Factory Reset of the Denon - no change.

I'm beginning to fear that the Denon has failed at the same time as the old TV? It seems my next step is to bring the bedroom tv out and see how the Denon gets along with that. That will need to wait, it is wall mounted and all wires are neatly tucked away with numerous zip-ties, not up for tearing that all apart just now.

Am I missing another possibility here?

The following assumes that I understand the symptoms:

The HDMI IC's on the top board in the unit, the digital board, are connect directly to the HDMI input and output ports. Static electricity may have damaged one of the IC's. You did say you had recently unplugged one component and plugged in another to the HDMI ports. Certainly HDMI ports issues are one of the more common problems reported with AVR's and AVP's. Not sure if problem frequency varies by brand.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-03-2019, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. There is a <4k Signal Format> setting under the Video menu of the AVR. Try setting it to "Enhanced." Also on the TV ensure <HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color> is enabled.
2. It's generally best if you use "Premium" certified 4k HDMI cables --> https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/pr...e/faq.aspx#156
3. ARC = Audio Return Channel - The audio from the TV's smart apps (eg. Netflix) is passed back to the AVR. HDMI Control on the AVR does not have to be enabled so this setting has nothing to do with your Harmony remote which would simply assist in powering ON/OFF the HDMI devices.
4. The X6400H is discussed in the 2017 Denon AVR Owner's thread (review posts 1-7 in that thread for more helpful information on your AVR) --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html. Post additional questions on this topic or a new topic in that thread.
1. Both of those settings were off, I turned both on = no change.
2. I used an app to scan the label as per that website, it is a premium certified cable.
3. Yes, I'm not sure why I've been hung up on the ARC aspect being a potential cause; possibly since my old tv didn't have it.
4. I went through there yesterday, I will look again. Does this sound like an HDMI handshake failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Go into the LG OSD and turn OFF the CEC feature...
Now try it...

Just my $0.02...
I had turned CEC off previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
The following assumes that I understand the symptoms:

The HDMI IC's on the top board in the unit, the digital board, are connect directly to the HDMI input and output ports. Static electricity may have damaged one of the IC's. You did say you had recently unplugged one component and plugged in another to the HDMI ports. Certainly HDMI ports issues are one of the more common problems reported with AVR's and AVP's. Not sure if problem frequency varies by brand.
I certainly hope an HDMI port is not blown.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-03-2019, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_nj View Post

I'm beginning to fear that the Denon has failed at the same time as the old TV? It seems my next step is to bring the bedroom tv out and see how the Denon gets along with that. That will need to wait, it is wall mounted and all wires are neatly tucked away with numerous zip-ties, not up for tearing that all apart just now...
I forgot about the projector for my outdoor movie setup, much easier to relocate. And that is displaying no signal when hooked up to the Denon as well. Looks like the Denon went out at the same time as the tv.

The good news is it's still under warranty; the bad news is I've read many horror stories about the company Denon uses for repair. Also, the link on the Denon website to submit repair request is broken. I'll be calling Denon this afternoon (additional good news that they have phone support on a Saturday).
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2019, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Got the Denon back yesterday and hooked it up tonight. Six business day repair, covered under warranty.

Briefly tested the Audio from the LG OLED to the Denon AVR via Optical with a YouTube video. Did not like it, haven't played with other settings or videos. Not really concerned too much about it anyway since I still have the FireTV and Chromecast to use.

It's nice to have the AVR back, the internal speakers in the LG were rather annoying. Still nice to have a TV with internal speakers again anyway; this way no need to turn the AVR on in the morning for news and weather; or other low priority/care programs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page