Can I connect this speaker to both channels of the amp? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By lcheetec
  • 1 Post By lcheetec
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1
  • 1 Post By lcheetec
  • 2 Post By bobknavs
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1

post #1 of 11 Old 08-03-2019, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Post Can I connect this speaker to both channels of the amp?

Being a newbie, I have bought an amazing small amp for a great price.
The thing is that I have trouble finding an answer on connecting the amp to the right speaker.
All I can find online is about calculating and connecting 2 speakers in a parallel configuration to an amp.
But that is not what I want.

The amp has 2 channels, it puts out 125 Watts per channel on 8 Ohm and 250 Watts per channel on 4 Ohm.
I have an 8-inch speaker 8 Ohm speaker with 150 Watts (150 Watts RMS and a max of 300 Watts) that I want to connect.
SPEAKER: soundimports.eu/nl/e220cf-8.html

So here comes the question.
Can I connect one 8 Ohm speaker with 150 Watts (RMS) to both channels of the amp?
In other words.
Can I connect channel A and channel B to this speaker without damaging my speaker or amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-03-2019, 06:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hi

I believe that unless the amp has a bridge switch that puts the two amp channels in series internally so that you can use them as such, connecting the speaker to both in effect shorts the two separate amp channels together. This might blow the amp channels.

Again, my thoughts, although my description might not be precise.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
spyboy and Cross Production like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-03-2019, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheetec View Post
Hi

I believe that unless the amp has a bridge switch that puts the two amp channels in series internally so that you can use them as such, connecting the speaker to both in effect shorts the two separate amp channels together. This might blow the amp channels.

Again, my thoughts, although my description might not be precise.

I am using the following amp:
infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/iraudamp7s/

Here is some documentation about the amp
infineon.com/dgdl/iraudamp7s.pdf

On the product page it notes "Half bridge/ full bridge selector"
But I dont even know what that does.
Can you explain what that means?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-03-2019, 07:02 AM

I went to the site you sent. It looks like the website gives info about the amp module used in the amplifier you have.

While it looks like bridging is possible, specifics around how bridging is achieved (a switch etc.) and speaker loads (impedance) it can support when bridged, isn't avaliable.

I'm still looking, will post again if I find out more.

<updated>
Look at pg 27 (see attached), you can see that instructions tell you what's possible if you were building the amp, but not if you had the built amp. You'd need operating instructions.
Cross Production likes this.

Last edited by lcheetec; 08-03-2019 at 07:09 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-03-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheetec View Post
I went to the site you sent. It looks like the website gives info about the amp module used in the amplifier you have.

While it looks like bridging is possible, specifics around how bridging is achieved (a switch etc.) and speaker loads (impedance) it can support when bridged, isn't avaliable.

I'm still looking, will post again if I find out more.

<updated>
Look at pg 27 (see attached), you can see that instructions tell you what's possible if you were building the amp, but not if you had the built amp. You'd need operating instructions.
The amp that I have bought was called HiFi Class D (DIY) amp.
It came in a enclosure with the IRAUDAMP7S amp and what looks like a SMPS500R (this is what it says on the PCB at least)

So just to be sure...
It is possible to hook up an 8 Ohm speaker with 150 Watts (RMS) by connecting to channel A instead of channel A and B.
Right?
post #6 of 11 Old 08-03-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
I do not recommend connecting both channels to the amp.

As such, the power is matched perfectly so there is no need to risk damaging your speaker through overpowering it.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #7 of 11 Old 08-03-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
I do not recommend connecting both channels to the amp.

As such, the power is matched perfectly so there is no need to risk damaging your speaker through overpowering it.
Okay, so what you are saying is to connect the 150 Watts (RMS) speaker to channel A that puts out 125 Watts should not be a problem.
Am I correct?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-03-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Production View Post
The amp that I have bought was called HiFi Class D (DIY) amp.

It came in a enclosure with the IRAUDAMP7S amp and what looks like a SMPS500R (this is what it says on the PCB at least)

So just to be sure...

It is possible to hook up an 8 Ohm speaker with 150 Watts (RMS) by connecting to channel A instead of channel A and B.

Right?
Sorry, I can't help here...

I suggest doing a little more research to see what other owners do, just in case you need to flip a dipswitch inside or something.

Daniel

post #9 of 11 Old 08-03-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
The SMPS500R is the power supply module.

"half bridge" is a term I've never seen before. It means 2 channel (stereo). I'd also call it unbridged.

Bridged means that the amps are driven by the same signal, but inverted in phase, so when the speaker is connected across the 2 amps, it sees up to 2X the effective voltage swing, for up to 4X the power. (You never get 4X the power in reality.) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brid...led_amplifiers This Wikpedia link isn't the clearest for a newcomer, but it contains the details.

The reference design (https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/irauda...53569addc92bfb) says that you can set it to operate with an 8 ohm speaker in bridged mode using the switch S300. I don't see a reference to the speaker output connections. If you have access to a simple DVM (digital volt meter), check whether one of the output terminals is connected to ground. Say, the negative (-) terminal. Change S300 to the bridged position, and connect the speaker across the terminal that are not grounded. Or you could just try it. Connect between the two plus terminals, or the two minus ones. If you choose the wrong pair, nothing bad will happen, just no sound until you switch to the other pair.

Don't bridge with a 4 ohm speaker. Bridging causes the amplifier to see half the speaker impedance, and the amp may not work with a 2 ohm load.

If you have a friend who is more familiar with audio, it may be a good idea to get a second pair of eyes. You don't want to damage a €400 speaker.
lcheetec and Cross Production like this.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-03-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 1217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Production View Post
Okay, so what you are saying is to connect the 150 Watts (RMS) speaker to channel A that puts out 125 Watts should not be a problem.

Am I correct?

Sorry, not matched perfectly, but matched better.

If your amp performs properly, when you bridge it, it should see 500 watts into 8 ohms?

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #11 of 11 Old 08-03-2019, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
The SMPS500R is the power supply module.

"half bridge" is a term I've never seen before. It means 2 channel (stereo). I'd also call it unbridged.

Bridged means that the amps are driven by the same signal, but inverted in phase, so when the speaker is connected across the 2 amps, it sees up to 2X the effective voltage swing, for up to 4X the power. (You never get 4X the power in reality.) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brid...led_amplifiers This Wikpedia link isn't the clearest for a newcomer, but it contains the details.

The reference design (https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/irauda...53569addc92bfb) says that you can set it to operate with an 8 ohm speaker in bridged mode using the switch S300. I don't see a reference to the speaker output connections. If you have access to a simple DVM (digital volt meter), check whether one of the output terminals is connected to ground. Say, the negative (-) terminal. Change S300 to the bridged position, and connect the speaker across the terminal that are not grounded. Or you could just try it. Connect between the two plus terminals, or the two minus ones. If you choose the wrong pair, nothing bad will happen, just no sound until you switch to the other pair.

Don't bridge with a 4 ohm speaker. Bridging causes the amplifier to see half the speaker impedance, and the amp may not work with a 2 ohm load.

If you have a friend who is more familiar with audio, it may be a good idea to get a second pair of eyes. You don't want to damage a €400 speaker.
I wish to have a friend who is more familiar with audio. I don't have any
But reading what you have send from Wikipedia, I kind off understand how it works now. Thank you !!!

After a bit of searching on Google I found cheap simplified boards of the amp module.
aliexpress.com/item/32789809907.html
Funny enough, they don't have the S300 (Full bridge selector) and the S1 (shutdown PWM) on the board.

I think I am going to return the amp that I bought and build my own.
Do you by any change know someone that could help me out on this one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page