Never buying a Marantz product again - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 08-14-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Good luck finding a receiver where you get free shipping to an authorized repair center. As far as I know, they all make you pay for that.

I missed the part where "everybody doing something" automatically makes that "something" a reasonable practice. Could you explain where that jump came from?

You can make the claim that a product should be reasonably expected to have failures sometimes but if the product is pretty much brand new, I'm sorry, but you do NOT get to place ANY cost on me to make the problem with YOUR product right (unless it's actually my fault, but that's a totally different scenario). I once received a watch in the mail and right out of the box it had a problem with one of the dials on it, and I reported it to the company. They tried to make me pay shipping to have it repaired. I replied that it would not be acceptable and told them they could fix it for free or I'd do a credit card chargeback. They did fix it for free.

Personally I like negative threads like this because you don't really get much of a feel for how a brand handles their issues from the regular owners threads where there are not many actual complaints about brands. If the negative feedback in any specific thread seems unfair to me, well, I will just disregard that particular complaint. And "everybody" treating customers with disrespect doesn't get a pass from me. It makes me keep my eyes open for a company willing to do better.

I do not think that 3-4 months ownership is long enough to say that OP deserves to pay $50 shipping (or whatever it is going to cost him) for a fault in a product he didn't build. Nothing is perfect, but OP shouldn't have to put his own money down to pay for someone else's problem.
pjp likes this.

Last edited by DonoMan; 08-14-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Can the owner return the receiver to the place of purchase for an exchange? Something that expensive should be able to be returned to the dealer.

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 08-14-2019 at 01:23 PM.
post #33 of 40 Old 08-14-2019, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Can the owner return the receiver to the place of purchase for an exchange? Something that expensive should be able to be returned to the dealer.
See post #27 ..
Dealer had only a 30 day exchange policy..

Just my $0.02...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 08-14-2019, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 716 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22165 Post(s)
Liked: 12033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbi1000 View Post
NOPE, 30 days is their return policy.
Many dealers would have made an exception and exchanged it given it is the current top Marantz AVR model.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-14-2019 at 06:16 PM.
post #35 of 40 Old 08-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
NOPE, 30 days is their return policy.
I'd be more apt to call out the reseller/installer than Marantz.
RetiredandLovingIt and drh3b like this.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #36 of 40 Old 08-14-2019, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
I'd be more apt to call out the reseller/installer than Marantz.
Sure, 6 weeks is fairly short, but for how long would you expect the reseller to be responsible? What if it fails 3 or 6 months later?
My Matantz failed shortly before the 1 year mark, so yes I had to send it in cross country from WA to NJ. 3 weeks later I got it back and now I'm a former Matantz owner (wouldn't say never, but who knows).

Anyhow this policy with having to pay for shipping during warrenty, very few repair centers outside of the east coast and CA, and Marantz not being helpful in even telling me where to send it certainly didn't fly well. But all in all they are getting away with these things.
Denon/Marantz certainly made great products years ago, my old Denon which got revived for the 3 weeks downtime never had issues for 10+ years, but things have apparently changed.
pjp and Muphasta like this.
post #37 of 40 Old 08-15-2019, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan View Post
I missed the part where "everybody doing something" automatically makes that "something" a reasonable practice. Could you explain where that jump came from?
What part of my post did I mention it was a good practice?
post #38 of 40 Old 08-15-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked: 3070
Quote:
About 3 or 4 months ago i purchased a SR 8012 and since that day I’ve been in receiver hell. After about 6 weeks i started to hear static coming through every speaker, including the sub, no matter what the source. Blu Ray, Sat, Apple TV, Radio, doesn’t matter loud static. So I tried everything under the sun. Finally called Marantz, they had me do a micro processor reset. Issue solved, however i had to recalibrate and enter all settings. 2-3 weeks later, static back. Called again, they had me do the reset again. 10 days later, static is back. Called again, now I have to ship the receiver to a authorized repair center, on my dime! I live in Oregon, there are ZERO repair centers in Oregon, not a one. So i have to ship it to California. 4-8 week turn around. This is my first Marantz product, it will be my last. Once it’s back in my hands for sale it goes never to buy another Marantz product ever. Customer service is horrible, repair process is a joke.... Rant over.

Uggg, so disappointed.
Hey you should join the guy that's never buying Denon again. Maybe you all can start a club and never buy any equipment

Where in Oregon are you? If you bought from a dealer you should make them deal with it. Chelsea audio handles returns for me if that sort of thing happens and usually give a loaner of some sort in the meantime.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #39 of 40 Old 08-15-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 112
He should have bought a Cuisinart & moved to California...

LG OLED C8 65 2018 , LG SL 10YG SoundBar. HT: JVC RS2000, Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain Sscreen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/9060 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Oppo203 and a nagging wife.
post #40 of 40 Old 08-15-2019, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
Sure, 6 weeks is fairly short, but for how long would you expect the reseller to be responsible? What if it fails 3 or 6 months later?
My Matantz failed shortly before the 1 year mark, so yes I had to send it in cross country from WA to NJ. 3 weeks later I got it back and now I'm a former Matantz owner (wouldn't say never, but who knows).

Anyhow this policy with having to pay for shipping during warrenty, very few repair centers outside of the east coast and CA, and Marantz not being helpful in even telling me where to send it certainly didn't fly well. But all in all they are getting away with these things.
Denon/Marantz certainly made great products years ago, my old Denon which got revived for the 3 weeks downtime never had issues for 10+ years, but things have apparently changed.
When I sold home theater/stereo gear, our store enabled the salespeople to support the customer. Not that the customer was always right, but we were able to make reasonable exchanges for our customers within a reasonable time. If our installation team was involved, we were the first call the customer would make. I got spoiled by this policy and had expectations of similar customer service when I was the customer.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page