Never buying a Marantz product again - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #1 of 46 Old 08-13-2019, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Never buying a Marantz product again

About 3 or 4 months ago i purchased a SR 8012 and since that day I’ve been in receiver hell. After about 6 weeks i started to hear static coming through every speaker, including the sub, no matter what the source. Blu Ray, Sat, Apple TV, Radio, doesn’t matter loud static. So I tried everything under the sun. Finally called Marantz, they had me do a micro processor reset. Issue solved, however i had to recalibrate and enter all settings. 2-3 weeks later, static back. Called again, they had me do the reset again. 10 days later, static is back. Called again, now I have to ship the receiver to a authorized repair center, on my dime! I live in Oregon, there are ZERO repair centers in Oregon, not a one. So i have to ship it to California. 4-8 week turn around. This is my first Marantz product, it will be my last. Once it’s back in my hands for sale it goes never to buy another Marantz product ever. Customer service is horrible, repair process is a joke.... Rant over.

Uggg, so disappointed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 08-13-2019, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2217 Post(s)
Liked: 1577
Oh, no. Not the start of another never-will-I-buy thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...l#post58347530
post #3 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked: 3147
Never click on one of these threads again

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Good luck finding a receiver where you get free shipping to an authorized repair center. As far as I know, they all make you pay for that.
post #5 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Sorry about your experience, but these anecdotal complaining threads are getting very tiresome. You can get a lemon with any brand. And paying for shipping is pretty standard (I assume it is under warranty and the repair itself will be free). IMO, selling it and pawning it on some unexpecting person is a terrible thing to do!

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #6 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Sorry about your experience, but these anecdotal complaining threads are getting very tiresome. You can get a lemon with any brand. And paying for shipping is pretty standard (I assume it is under warranty and the repair itself will be free). IMO, selling it and pawning it on some unexpecting person is a terrible thing to do!
It’s under warranty and will get repaired. I would never sell it before it gets fixed.
post #7 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbi1000 View Post
About 3 or 4 months ago i purchased a SR 8012 and since that day I’ve been in receiver hell. After about 6 weeks i started to hear static coming through every speaker, including the sub, no matter what the source. Blu Ray, Sat, Apple TV, Radio, doesn’t matter loud static. So I tried everything under the sun. Finally called Marantz, they had me do a micro processor reset. Issue solved, however i had to recalibrate and enter all settings. 2-3 weeks later, static back. Called again, they had me do the reset again. 10 days later, static is back. Called again, now I have to ship the receiver to a authorized repair center, on my dime! I live in Oregon, there are ZERO repair centers in Oregon, not a one. So i have to ship it to California. 4-8 week turn around. This is my first Marantz product, it will be my last. Once it’s back in my hands for sale it goes never to buy another Marantz product ever. Customer service is horrible, repair process is a joke.... Rant over.

Uggg, so disappointed.
where did you purchase it? Sometimes the retailer will handle the shipping/repair.
I had good luck with that w/my Pioneer Elite SC-65 many years ago. Best Buy handled the shipping/repair and I didn't even buy their warranty
pjp and dlinsley like this.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #8 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Good luck finding a receiver where you get free shipping to an authorized repair center. As far as I know, they all make you pay for that.

Free shipping both ways is covered in California by law. A unit can also be taken to any dealer in CA. Clearly that doesn't apply in this case, but I typically I bring up this law since someone in CA may be in a similar situation, and that person might be unaware of the law.
oducks2 and pjp like this.

Last edited by bigguyca; 08-14-2019 at 09:06 AM.
post #9 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 3740
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post

I think that guy has a legitimate complaint. Can't repair a fairly new unit. What a joke.
junior00027 likes this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #10 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 722 Post(s)
Quoted: 22208 Post(s)
Liked: 12066
Quote:

Uggg, so disappointed.
If purchased new from an authorized dealer, the dealer would have simply replaced it with a new unit if only 6 weeks from purchase.
post #11 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 09:07 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:

Oh no, not another corporate apologist thread. Oh no, the rest of us might learn something. Oh no, the OP might become aware of vastly better options to handle this situation.

All of you are lying, at least to yourselves, that you wouldn't be pissed off to have significant issues 6 weeks after paying $3000 for an AVR, then have to go through 3 full resets and having to reconfigure all of the settings from scratch three times over the next couple of months, and then having to go without that $3000 AVR (or any AVR unless you happen to have a spare lying around) for 4 to 8 weeks while you wait for the repair. The least painful aspect of that is probably that he has to $80ish to send it back (so they can leave him without an AVR for a month or two), but paying that shipment is salt in the wound for a very expensive AVR that was defective weeks after purchase (still I suspect the shipment fee is far from he main crux of the OP's concerns).

If you don't like the topic stay out of the thread. These threads, when they are justified complaints, help everyone be smarter about purchase decisions and warranty handling.
pixphipau, iceatola, Vital and 4 others like this.

Last edited by pjp; 08-14-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #12 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Uggg, so disappointed.
I have a new AV7705... does the exact same thing.. humming/hissing out of every channel. Question, what is the micro processor reset procedure?

Marantz 7705 + McIntosh MC205 + McIntosh MC8207
7.2.4: (3)B&W CWM 8.3 D, (8) B&W CCM 8.5 D, (2) Hsu VTF-15H MK2
170" Seymour XD screen, JVC NX7
In-Progress: (2) HS-24 MkIII build + (2) Speaker Power 4kW plate amps
post #13 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Oh no, not another corporate apologist thread. Oh no, the rest of us might learn something. Oh no, the OP might become aware of vastly better options to handle this situation.

All of you are lying, at least to yourselves, that you wouldn't be pissed off to have significant issues 6 weeks after paying $3000 for an AVR, then have to go through 3 full resets and having to reconfigure all of the settings from scratch three times over the next couple of months, and then having to go without that $3000 AVR (or any AVR unless you happen to have a spare lying around) for 4 to 8 weeks while you wait for the repair. The least painful aspect of that is probably that he has to $80ish to send it back (so they can leave him without an AVR for a month or two), but paying that shipment is salt in the wound for a very expensive AVR that was defective weeks after purchase (still I suspect the shipment fee is far from he main crux of the OP's concerns).

If you don't like the topic stay out of the thread. These threads, when they are justified complaints, help everyone be smarter about purchase decisions and warranty handling.
If you're accusing me of being a corporate apologist, you are mistaken.

However, starting a thread with "never buying an XXXX again", I can't endorse. The facts of the OP's treatment over a defective Marantz flagship receiver are worth reporting. Emotional state, not so much.

In my opinion, requiring a customer to pay for shipping to a repair center under warranty seems immoral, and should be illegal. For out-of-warranty, it'd be nice if the manufacturer could offer shipping at their (I presume) discounted rate. They also should not charge a fee for examining a unit when it cannot be repaired.

It'd be nicer yet if they'd cross-ship a replacement model so that the purchaser wouldn't be without an AVR for weeks. Or have in-home service, like some of the PC makers (like Dell) used to offer. I presume that the latter is unlikely, due to the audio electronics market being relatively small.

A minor matter of fact: as regards settings, my Denon AVR-X4300H has an option to save settings to a USB drive. I haven't checked, but I'd expect the SR8012 to do the same. Not every setting is saved (like network and HEOS account), but it should be better than manually re-entering everything.
pjp and drh3b like this.

Last edited by bobknavs; 08-14-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #14 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Free shipping both ways is covered in California by law. A unit can also be taken to any dealer in CA. Clearly that doesn't apply in this case, but I typically I bring up this law since someone in CA may be in a similar situation, and that person might be unaware of the law.
Didn't know that. Being in MD, I've always had to pay. Typically to New Jersey and I usually pay under $30. Fortunately, there are many authorized repair places within short driving distance. But not always.
post #15 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I think that guy has a legitimate complaint. Can't repair a fairly new unit. What a joke.
If you're referring to the original Denon thread, I'm sorry to give a false impression of my views. I think that he was mistreated. Still, it had the feel of a troll post, if only because he joined the forum just to complain.
drh3b likes this.
post #16 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
where did you purchase it? Sometimes the retailer will handle the shipping/repair.
I had good luck with that w/my Pioneer Elite SC-65 many years ago. Best Buy handled the shipping/repair and I didn't even buy their warranty
I had an issue with my Anthem MRX1120 nearly two years ago, and that was 18 months into the 3 year warranty. My dealer shipped it at no cost to me and also loaned me an MRX520 while it was away. If this was an authorized dealer, they should be helping here.
Muphasta likes this.
post #17 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 722 Post(s)
Quoted: 22208 Post(s)
Liked: 12066
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnebrask View Post
I have a new AV7705... does the exact same thing.. humming/hissing out of every channel. Question, what is the micro processor reset procedure?
Refer to post 3 of the Marantz AV7705 Owner's thread --> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-s-thread.html
post #18 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

However, starting a thread with "never buying an XXXX again", I can't endorse. The facts of the OP's treatment over a defective Marantz flagship receiver are worth reporting. Emotional state, not so much.

In my opinion, requiring a customer to pay for shipping to a repair center under warranty seems immoral, and should be illegal. For out-of-warranty, it'd be nice if the manufacturer could offer shipping at their (I presume) discounted rate. They also should not charge a fee for examining a unit when it cannot be repaired.

It'd be nicer yet if they'd cross-ship a replacement model so that the purchaser wouldn't be without an AVR for weeks. Or have in-home service, like some of the PC makers (like Dell) used to offer. I presume that the latter is unlikely, due to the audio electronics market being relatively small.

A minor matter of fact: as regards settings, my Denon AVR-X4300H has an option to save settings to a USB drive. I haven't checked, but I'd expect the SR8012 to do the same. Not every setting is saved (like network and HEOS account), but it should be better than manually re-entering everything.
Agree with all of your comments except the emotional state. I don't really see anything overly emotional in his post -- the only thing that could be construed as emotional is the statement that he won't buy a Marantz ever again -- which I believe is simply statement of fact for him. Also, it is normal to be pissed off in this circumstance. Anybody who isn't pissed should have their man card, or person card, rescinded.

If there is a way to save settings to USB drive, then Marantz support should have advised him of that since they were the ones dictating the reset. It is horrible if they didn't do that. There isn't even any guarantee that it will be fixed after he goes through that horrible process, nothing about Marantz support so far inspires confidence that they will actually be able to repair it (<- that would be the biggest concern for me if I was I was in his position).

I agree with you strongly, for a top of the line AVR that failed after a few weeks, Marantz should ship him a new unit and have him ship back his old unit back.
post #19 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I think that I gave the wrong impression. I just feared the start of another 200+ post "discussion". For me, it's like a car wreck: hard to look away.
pjp likes this.
post #20 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1383 Post(s)
Liked: 2637
I think most of us can understand the frustration electronics can provide in this hobby as no product ever is 100% flawless. As mentioned, after just six weeks an "authorized" dealer should have just replaced the SR8012, even after three failed resets and another month or two passed it still should have been replaced as the original complaint was earlier. If an authorized dealer wouldn't replace a flagship product i'd be all over Marantz head office, if that failed i couldn't agree more with the OP and i'm also a SR8012 owner.

I have kept my older Intergra avr for this exact reason as a back up in case a future repair is needed.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #21 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agree with all of your comments except the emotional state. I don't really see anything overly emotional in his post -- the only thing that could be construed as emotional is the statement that he won't buy a Marantz ever again -- which I believe is simply statement of fact for him. Also, it is normal to be pissed off in this circumstance. Anybody who isn't pissed should have their man card, or person card, rescinded.

If there is a way to save settings to USB drive, then Marantz support should have advised him of that since they were the ones dictating the reset. It is horrible if they didn't do that. There isn't even any guarantee that it will be fixed after he goes through that horrible process, nothing about Marantz support so far inspires confidence that they will actually be able to repair it (<- that would be the biggest concern for me if I was I was in his position).

I agree with you strongly, for a top of the line AVR that failed after a few weeks, Marantz should ship him a new unit and have him ship back his old unit back.
OK.

I disliked the thread title. The post is clearly not trolling, but the title would be appropriate for a troll post.

I shoulda just stayed away.

The lines "I never feed trolls and I don't read Spam" are as valid today as they were 20 years ago. Pity I can't stick to that.
pjp likes this.
post #22 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 10:34 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think that I gave the wrong impression. I just feared the start of another 200+ post "discussion". For me, it's like a car wreck: hard to look away.
Apologies for lumping you in with the apologists (<- pun not avoidable ). The only reason the Denon thread was so long was because there were corporate apologists literally twisting fragments of the story to manufacture an entitlement story out of thin air. 80% of the posts in that thread were the result of false twisting of the OP's situation, and then people having to correct them, repeatedly. Imagine what the Denon thread would look like if the apologists hadn't created all that noise -- it would be a thousand times better thread, it would be short enough that we could all read it and learn, and we wouldn't have wasted all that time reading and responding to baseless comments.
dlinsley and drh3b like this.
post #23 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apologies for lumping you in with the apologists (<- pun not avoidable ). The only reason the Denon thread was so long was because there were corporate apologists literally twisting fragments of the story to manufacture an entitlement story out of thin air. 80% of the posts in that thread were the result of false twisting of the OP's situation, and then people having to correct them, repeatedly. Imagine what the Denon thread would look like if the apologists hadn't created all that noise -- it would be a thousand times better thread, it would be short enough that we could all read it and learn, and we wouldn't have wasted all that time reading and responding to baseless comments.
After a bit, the thread looked shorter to me, because I added one individual to my ignore list. I think you're referring to the same person.
post #24 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Uggg, so disappointed.
The situation is disappointing given the cost of the receiver. The suggestion to contact the retailer is reasonable and may lead to a faster and more satisfactory resolution to the problem. Last year a very expensive projector failed in my home theater. Even though it was well into the warranty period, the dealer quickly arranged for a new replacement from the manufacturer. It pays to deal with a good retailer, be it locally or over the internet.

Manufacturers have a very different set of priorities than retailers. They must compete in a very difficult marketplace and still maintain a profit. Many “defective” items are actually improperly installed or operated and it is although this does not appear to be the case in this instance. Diagnostics and repair of complex electronic components is both time intense and expensive. A large majority of manufacturers now subcontract these functions to third-party vendors and Marantz is probably in that group. What you are now experiencing is the result of that cost-saving strategy, a strategy that actually benefits the large majority of purchasers by controlling costs. Extended warranties offering immediate product replacement and other benefits can provide a useful buffer for most expensive electronics and often don’t cost much in the grand scheme of things. Best of luck to you in resolving your issue with the SR8012.
post #25 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
I got it through a company who installs home audio gear. NO HELP FROM THEM. Forced to do everything through Marantz.
post #26 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Interesting, when i spoke to the service company in CA, they told me to send it and i had to pay for shipping to them. I will ask again.
post #27 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If purchased new from an authorized dealer, the dealer would have simply replaced it with a new unit if only 6 weeks from purchase.
NOPE, 30 days is their return policy.
post #28 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thank you sir for understand my pain. Uggg.
post #29 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I’ll have to check on the save settings deal. That would have saved me at least a little headache. How can there be NO authorized service center in my entire state? That seems crazy to me.
post #30 of 46 Old 08-14-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:
Interesting, when i spoke to the service company in CA, they told me to send it and i had to pay for shipping to them. I will ask again.

I've used the CA warranty law for several times for small items such as tape measures with lifetime warranties where shipping to the manufacturer is the responsibility of the buyer making the warranty essentially worthless. I've sent (emailed) a copy of the CA warranty statute and a copy of a warranty that does conform to CA law along with a picture of the items and requested a shipping label and shipping container. At this point I've gotten replacement items shipped to me with no further steps required, which is more than required under the law, but cheaper for the manufacturer than shipping a box to me and then paying for shipping back to themselves. I haven't had experience using the CA law with expensive items. I'm also not a lawyer so all of this is for your information only and not to be mistaken for legal advice.

A friend of mine has an expensive treadmill that failed perhaps two years ago. The manufacturer was initially not helpful. The friend happened to speak with me about the issue. I emailed him the information on the warranty law. When presented to the manufacturer (or seller, I'm not sure which) a service technician was sent on site who fixed the problem at no cost. This was done because it was impractical to ship the item.

Perhaps most CA residents are not aware of this CA warranty law (likely), the manufacturers aren't aware of the law, or the manufacturers or sellers ignore the law unless pressed (very likely). This means that you may have to assert your rights under the law.

A perhaps unfair part of the law is that the purchaser can take the defective item to any authorized reseller of the item and that firm has to deal with the issue, even if that firm didn't initially sell the product. The level of service under this alternative is unknown. I wouldn't be happy if I were the reseller in question. A good manufacturer may adequately compensate the reseller for their added efforts. It is not clear how manufacturers owned by private equity firms handle this situation.

To Cuisinart's credit they have the CA warranty rules, that apply to CA residents, included in the warranty statement in their manuals. Here is a link to a manual, see page 14.

https://www.cuisinart.com/share/pdf/manuals/gg-2.pdf

Last edited by bigguyca; 08-14-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page