Multichannel Amplifiers....Parasound, ATI or Outlaw - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 08-19-2019, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Multichannel Amplifiers....Parasound, ATI or Outlaw

Just looking for some guidance...

I am in the process of adding channels to my HT rig. Currently I have six channels, using three 30+ years old Moscode 300 amps. These are 80´s vintage stereo hybrid amps, tubes input stage, Mosfet output stage. These are rated at 150W per channel into 8ohms, and 225W per channel into 4ohms. These I intend to use for my front, center and surround speakers since they are very good at what they do. My front, center and surround speakers are Magnepan 1.7, CC5/DWM and LRS respectively. These amps were "modernized" by the OEM, so I expect another 30+ years more service out of them.

I can add 5 channels for two surround back and two ATMOS speakers; or 7 channels if I decide on two surround back and four ATMOS speakers. Three amps, that I guess are similar in price, quality and audiophile or near audiophile sound reproduction, have caught my interest. These are: ATI´s AT-4005, Outlaw Audio´s 7220, and Parasounds´s HALO A52+. I know this forum have many Monolith´s 7X fans, which I know have very good specs, however, I am not so sure about its quality. I live in South America, and returning these behemoth amps for repair is really not an option. So I am looking for an amp, like my Moscodes, that would last me many years without a hitch. And lastly, I guess I prefer A-A/B amplification.

I do not have the opportunity to audition the amps listed above. I simply chose them because of number of channels, and similar (actually a few watts higher) power rating to my Moscodes. Any experience on these amps that can be shared will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rickyhgarcia; 08-19-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 08-19-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 198
The Bryston amps have a 20 year warranty. Here is their 5 channel unit:
http://www.bryston.com/products/power_amps/9BSST-2.html
rickyhgarcia likes this.

Media Room: LG oled65c7, Marantz AV8805, Sherbourn 7/2100, Emotiva A-300, Studer A80, Studer Revox b795, Nakamichi RX-202, HTPC, exaSound e38, Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-2, (2) Piega P10, Piega Coax Center, (6) Piega AP 1.2, Hsu VTF-15h mk2
Office: Emotiva mini-x A100, Geek Pulse, (2) KEF LS-50, Goldenear FF 4, PC, NAS 130TB
Bedroom: Panasonic TCP55vt35, Marantz NR1200, Dune 3 Prime, (2) Elac Uni-Fi UB5
post #3 of 43 Old 08-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Given where you're at geographically, the warranty - even a good one - is something you'll never want to use given the huge expense of shipping and time to send and return something out of your country. With this in mind, I recommend the ATI. They're an awesome company, have great technical support, an international presence and make bulletproof equipment.

If I recall correctly, the 4000 series uses modular boards for each amplification channel and all of the weight is from a transformer(s). If there are any issues, they are almost always with the separate amplification boards (similar to a graphics card in a PC) that can be pulled and repaired locally or small enough to be economically sent back to ATI for repair or exchange. You could call ATI and just ask them about how they service products internationally. The new ATI class D amps are supposed to be great for many applications and are much lighter. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Dr_Mark and rickyhgarcia like this.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA Dual TV42 Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 08-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Just wanted to chime in here to say...
Ricky those Moscode 300's you have are really nice amplifiers.

You said you recently had them renewed.. did you have them updated with the much bigger caps and to use 4 matching tubes..?

Did you have Goerge Kaye do the work..?
rickyhgarcia likes this.

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Triad Gold, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-miniDSP-HD2x4, 4 HSU VTF-15H-MK2, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #5 of 43 Old 08-19-2019, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Definitely ncore class D. ATI uses linear supply, so still heavy. Find a SMPS build...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
rickyhgarcia likes this.
post #6 of 43 Old 08-19-2019, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

I'm looking at some of your guy's equipment in your sig's... and then reading your suggestions... have any of you ever spent some good time with gear that's of the quality of the stuff the OP has..?

I have and do... not to quote the Haulk but...class D.. really..lol

I guess for Atmos.
junior00027 likes this.

Orotund Desert Theater:14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620, 120" AT screen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO-203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5 channel amplifiers, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Triad Gold, 4 Atmos 3 way Core5's, Subs-miniDSP-HD2x4, 4 HSU VTF-15H-MK2, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats and more.
post #7 of 43 Old 08-20-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
The Bryston amps have a 20 year warranty. Here is their 5 channel unit:
http://www.bryston.com/products/power_amps/9BSST-2.html

Indeed a very good amp. At US$13,000 it way outside of my budget. I know the 9BSST can be bought used, with perhaps 5/6 years warranty left, but still at a price similar than the ones I listed in "NEW" condition. Would love to own a Bryston, but cannot afford it.
post #8 of 43 Old 08-20-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Just wanted to chime in here to say...
Ricky those Moscode 300's you have are really nice amplifiers.

You said you recently had them renewed.. did you have them updated with the much bigger caps and to use 4 matching tubes..?

Did you have Goerge Kaye do the work..?
Yes....they are great amplifiers. The Moscodes and the Maggies are a great combination. They warm up a bit, but nothing that will start a fire. I am the original owner to one of the three, bought it in 1985. The other two I bought in original state from eBay and George Kaye for $500 each about 7 years ago. I am seeing them being listed in eBay now for over $1000, so in addition they seem to be gaining value.

Yes and Yes...I had them renewed by the OEM, aka George Kaye. Bigger caps, Cardas speaker posts, Cardas goldplated RCA connectors, new tubes, in fact everything that he had on the Menu that can be done. It was about $1400 for each amp. I also asked to replace the power cord with an IEC connector so I can use the power cord of my choice.

Recently (two months ago) George fabricated an on/off power switch protector that I installed myself. No soldering was required, he made it so it was bolted and plugged. The original amps did not have a surge suppressor for the power switch, so they would arced and became stuck (luckily on the on position), and I was forced to use a power strip. With the fix, no more sparks when I switch them on.

If you are planning on buying any of the old Moscodes (i.e. 150, 300 or 600), go for it. The advantage of George still being active guarantees that "modernizing" these amps will remain with the original design concepts, and sound!!
post #9 of 43 Old 08-20-2019, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyoncreek View Post
Definitely ncore class D. ATI uses linear supply, so still heavy. Find a SMPS build...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply. The only beef I have against the class D amps is my Magnepan speakers. The Maggies can drop way below 4ohm impedance, according to Magnepan. Therefore, they do not recommend that they are driven by class D amps. Although I have a pair of "renewed" 8ohm ADS L1290 speakers for my back surround, that would work great with the class D amp, I know I am going to switch things around. To me, switching around is parts of owning these types of systems.
post #10 of 43 Old 08-20-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorax2 View Post
Given where you're at geographically, the warranty - even a good one - is something you'll never want to use given the huge expense of shipping and time to send and return something out of your country. With this in mind, I recommend the ATI. They're an awesome company, have great technical support, an international presence and make bulletproof equipment.

If I recall correctly, the 4000 series uses modular boards for each amplification channel and all of the weight is from a transformer(s). If there are any issues, they are almost always with the separate amplification boards (similar to a graphics card in a PC) that can be pulled and repaired locally or small enough to be economically sent back to ATI for repair or exchange. You could call ATI and just ask them about how they service products internationally. The new ATI class D amps are supposed to be great for many applications and are much lighter. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thanks for your reply. I haven´t considered the modular approach by ATI, and that it can be sent , if required, for repair by parts. That is a big plus. The ATI, even though is more money that the others under consideration, has always been my first choice.

Last edited by rickyhgarcia; 08-21-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #11 of 43 Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyhgarcia View Post

Thanks for your reply. The only beef I have against the class D amps is my Magnepan speakers. The Maggies can drop way below 4ohm impedance, according to Magnepan. Therefore, they do not recommend that they are driven by class D amps. Although I have a pair of "renewed" 8ohm ADS L1290 speakers for my back surround, that would work great with the class D amp, I know I am going to switch things around. To me, switching around is parts of owning these types of systems.

ATI's N-Core class D amps are very happy with low impedance.

Jeff
post #12 of 43 Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I haven´t considered the modular approach by ATI, and that it can be send , if required, for repair by parts. That is a big plus. The ATI, even though is more money that the others under consideration, has always been my first choice.

I purchased my ATI 1807 used and 1 of the channels went bad (from shipping???). With ATIs help, it was very easy to diagnose and replace the faulty board. If I recall correctly, they advance forwarded me a replacement board and asked me to send back the faulty board. I think all I had to pay was shipping and a very minimal fee for the board swap. It was the easiest electronics related repair / return I have ever done.

I've listened to systems with both the Signature 4000 and 6000 series amps and the entire systems both sounded incredible in the short listening experiences I had with those systems. The owner of each system had tried many amps and I think the ATI amps were end game for them as they both felt the ATIs were the best amps for their systems.
yanks1 and rickyhgarcia like this.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA Dual TV42 Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #13 of 43 Old 08-20-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 584
R. G. take a look at Audio Control Savoy and Pantages.

Excellent performance and bullet proof. Not had any issues in my system or customer’s for 10 years.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #14 of 43 Old 08-20-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3062 Post(s)
Liked: 2043
Quote:
Stable into <2 Ohms, and yes, people do run Magnepans with them, utilizing Pascal modules:

https://www.d-sonic.com/
bear123 likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #15 of 43 Old 08-20-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have and do... not to quote the Haulk but...class D.. really..lol

I guess for Atmos.

Ouch! I'd happily pit a D-Sonic against many of the much "snobbier" amps....
WOKNROX and bear123 like this.

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #16 of 43 Old 08-20-2019, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Stable into <2 Ohms, and yes, people do run Magnepans with them, utilizing Pascal modules:

https://www.d-sonic.com/
Thanks for your input...

Not familiar with D-Sonic or Pascal modules. Checked into the website, could not find Pascal module. The amps are only rated for 4 and 8 ohms. They do not mention lower loads.
post #17 of 43 Old 08-21-2019, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ouch! I'd happily pit a D-Sonic against many of the much "snobbier" amps....
I knew that would bring you out of the woodwork...lol

You have a very deep love for your D-sonic amplifiers.

I love the use of "snobier" but the pure fact is is that class A-AB (built right) is still the king of the amplifier war. The hybrids tube-SS amplifiers like the OP's are built right...

post #18 of 43 Old 08-21-2019, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes....they are great amplifiers. The Moscodes and the Maggies are a great combination. They warm up a bit, but nothing that will start a fire. I am the original owner to one of the three, bought it in 1985. The other two I bought in original state from eBay and George Kaye for $500 each about 7 years ago. I am seeing them being listed in eBay now for over $1000, so in addition they seem to be gaining value.

Yes and Yes...I had them renewed by the OEM, aka George Kaye. Bigger caps, Cardas speaker posts, Cardas goldplated RCA connectors, new tubes, in fact everything that he had on the Menu that can be done. It was about $1400 for each amp. I also asked to replace the power cord with an IEC connector so I can use the power cord of my choice.

Recently (two months ago) George fabricated an on/off power switch protector that I installed myself. No soldering was required, he made it so it was bolted and plugged. The original amps did not have a surge suppressor for the power switch, so they would arced and became stuck (luckily on the on position), and I was forced to use a power strip. With the fix, no more sparks when I switch them on.

If you are planning on buying any of the old Moscodes (i.e. 150, 300 or 600), go for it. The advantage of George still being active guarantees that "modernizing" these amps will remain with the original design concepts, and sound!!
Sounds like you have really stepped up your amplifiers and made an already very great amp/s to be a fantastic amp...
George does fantastic work and at a great price..!!

Looks like there are a few of them on the market now starting a 5 hundy. Theres one already tuned up $1200.
rickyhgarcia likes this.

Last edited by WOKNROX; 08-21-2019 at 06:25 AM.
post #19 of 43 Old 08-21-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input...

Not familiar with D-Sonic or Pascal modules. Checked into the website, could not find Pascal module. The amps are only rated for 4 and 8 ohms. They do not mention lower loads.
Yeah, right on the main page, under general features, 2nd bullet point.... It's a very small company out of Texas.

https://www.d-sonic.com/content/D-So...ta%20Sheet.pdf

In case you're interested...

http://www.pascal-audio.com/

Quote:
I knew that would bring you out of the woodwork...lol

You have a very deep love for your D-sonic amplifiers.

I love the use of "snobier" but the pure fact is is that class A-AB (built right) is still the king of the amplifier war. The hybrids tube-SS amplifiers like the OP's are built right...
HA! Well, somebody's gotta be the cheerleader.... And I've no doubt OP's amps are built right. (And I actually really like the McIntosh MA252 speaking of hybrids...). But given what OP was asking to do and the suggestions he mentioned, had to put that out there. OP said he "guessed he preferred A/AB"...." So, there is some doubt! And all kings eventually fall.... Now, back to my woodpile!
WOKNROX and rickyhgarcia like this.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #20 of 43 Old 08-21-2019, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

I agree...no real need for a hybrid for Atmos...

If they can get class D to reproduce high frequencies better I'll start looking at them...

post #21 of 43 Old 08-21-2019, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sounds like you have really stepped up your amplifiers and made an already very great amp/s to be a fantastic amp...
George does fantastic work and at a great price..!!

Looks like there are a few of them on the market now starting a 5 hundy. Theres one already tuned up $1200.
Please notice that I like to use the term "modernized." Not "upgraded" or "modified," like some of the listing for sale that are showing up now a days. "Modernize" allowed me to keep my amps as the intended original design. George´s will be the only shop in town that would guarantee to keep the original flavor of these amps. They were so well built, that after 30+ years they are still pumping watts.

You can tell, I am very proud of my amps...
WOKNROX likes this.

Last edited by rickyhgarcia; 08-21-2019 at 10:19 AM.
post #22 of 43 Old 08-21-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, right on the main page, under general features, 2nd bullet point.... It's a very small company out of Texas.

https://www.d-sonic.com/content/D-So...ta%20Sheet.pdf

In case you're interested...

http://www.pascal-audio.com/

HA! Well, somebody's gotta be the cheerleader.... And I've no doubt OP's amps are built right. (And I actually really like the McIntosh MA252 speaking of hybrids...). But given what OP was asking to do and the suggestions he mentioned, had to put that out there. OP said he "guessed he preferred A/AB"...." So, there is some doubt! And all kings eventually fall.... Now, back to my woodpile!

Thanks....I´ll check them out.

The A/AB requirement is Magnepan´s requirement. I wrote them about the use of class D amps, and they simply said I should not use them with the Maggies. I have 8 Maggies in my rig, so I know eventually a pair of these speakers will be hooked up to the multichannel amp. True, if I do not connect the Maggies to the multichannel amp, I will be OK. I am considering a pair of KEF R8a for ATMOS (these are 8 ohm), and my rear surround are renewed 1980´s vintage ADS L1290 tower speakers (also 8 ohm).
post #23 of 43 Old 08-21-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I agree...no real need for a hybrid for Atmos...

If they can get class D to reproduce high frequencies better I'll start looking at them...
I would not waste my Moscodes on ATMOS, that is the reason the amps I listed are HT dedicated, multichannel, and comply with my A/AB class requirement.
post #24 of 43 Old 08-21-2019, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 405
I went from Parasound Halos to ATI Signatures and am very happy. I see no need to switch amps again. You would love the ATI amps.
post #25 of 43 Old 08-21-2019, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Please notice that I like to use the term "modernized." Not "upgraded" or "modified," like some of the listing for sale that are showing up now a days. "Modernize" allowed me to keep my amps as the intended original design. George´s will be the only shop in town that would guarantee to keep the original flavor of these amps. They were so well built, that after 30+ years they are still pumping watts.

You can tell, I am very proud of my amps...
You should be proud bud. Those are some really sweet amplifiers you have...

I have the same feeling "love" for my Simaudio Moon amplifiers....Yes they are as big as a couple of mini fridges but.... they know what to do when they are called upon...

post #26 of 43 Old 08-21-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks....I´ll check them out.
Yeah, it was just a suggestion for a solid multi-channel.

Quote:
The A/AB requirement is Magnepan´s requirement. I wrote them about the use of class D amps, and they simply said I should not use them with the Maggies.
And that's fair enough, though if I had the spare cash I'd love to send you one on my dime for you try. Alas, no spare cash!

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #27 of 43 Old 08-21-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the same feeling "love" for my Simaudio Moon amplifiers....Yes they are as big as a couple of mini fridges but.... they know what to do when they are called upon...
I would imagine they are pretty awesome with the AVM60, no??
WOKNROX likes this.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #28 of 43 Old 08-22-2019, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would imagine they are pretty awesome with the AVM60, no??
Yes... a match made in heaven. With their huge power supply and the 30amp, 220v, 8 gauge wired outlets I've supplied to both of them... the Big Titans have ton of headroom and produce massive amounts of dynamic audio swing across the entire spectrum with ease.

They have no problems making the big Polk SDA SRSTL'S talk..
Jonas2 likes this.

post #29 of 43 Old 08-22-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, it was just a suggestion for a solid multi-channel.

And that's fair enough, though if I had the spare cash I'd love to send you one on my dime for you try. Alas, no spare cash!
Thanks!!! That is very generous of you...
Jonas2 likes this.
post #30 of 43 Old 08-22-2019, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
I went from Parasound Halos to ATI Signatures and am very happy. I see no need to switch amps again. You would love the ATI amps.
This is exactly what I was inquiring about. The Parasound HALO A52+ can be bought for about $2300, new, in eBay. The AT-4005 for about a grand more. You think the ATI is worth the extra $1000? I guess sound wise they would be similar, but because of my location, the modular approach of the ATI interests me. And the 7 year warranty, and US made...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page