Emotiva Audio XMC-2 16-channel A/V Processor Debuts - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #121 of 141 Old 10-17-2019, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post
I don't follow Emotiva. But did I just read that the XMC-1 never got Dirac that was promised??
That’s not true at all. The XMC-1 has always had Dirac. The early adopters, like myself, had to wait about 90 days for the specifics to be finalized and the software deployed, but that was the exception.

In comparison, it’s been nearly a year since its release and the RMC-1 still doesn’t have Dirac. Maybe that’s being confused with the XMC-1.
Gooddoc and sealmaniac like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 12-01-2019, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Just got my XMC-2, does anyone have Atmos speakers configured? I'm trying to set up a 5.2.4 system but unclear in the instructions which outputs are for the Atmos speakers, I'm assuming the heights?

Also - any idea when Dirac Live is releasing?
post #123 of 141 Old 12-01-2019, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejs15 View Post
Just got my XMC-2, does anyone have Atmos speakers configured? I'm trying to set up a 5.2.4 system but unclear in the instructions which outputs are for the Atmos speakers, I'm assuming the heights?

I have Atmos setup on my XMC2. It’s Front height -> Sm Top Front and Rear height -> Sm Top Rear.

No idea on Dirac as I am waiting as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 141 Old 12-01-2019, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsdec2 View Post
I have Atmos setup on my XMC2. It’s Front height -> Sm Top Front and Rear height -> Sm Top Rear.

Perfect thanks, just connected, I'm getting sound, I'll play around with it more tomorrow.

What did you do for room calibration ?
post #125 of 141 Old 12-01-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Hey guys I'm on the fence about getting this AVR i just wanted to know because you hear alot of things about Emotiva processor having issues far as bugs etc....But i wanted to hear from a actually owner if the XMC-2 actually run good & don't have as many( No processor bug free) issues as the last units they released. I don't care about Dirac Live that doesn't factor into my decision. Thanks

JVC NX5 | Panasonic UB420| PC Madvr
Elite Screens Aeon Series 135 inch CineWhite
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/ |JBL 8350 surrounds x 4 |JBL SCS8 Atmos x 4
Anthem AVM 60| Crown XLS 1502 X 2| Crown XLS 1002 x 4
GSG Devastator x 3 | Sinbosen FP20000q
post #126 of 141 Old 12-01-2019, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2760 Post(s)
Liked: 2102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Hey guys I'm on the fence about getting this AVR i just wanted to know because you hear alot of things about Emotiva processor having issues far as bugs etc....But i wanted to hear from a actually owner if the XMC-2 actually run good & don't have as many( No processor bug free) issues as the last units they released. I don't care about Dirac Live that doesn't factor into my decision. Thanks
There's some issues but as of the newest firmware version it seems the issues may be more unique in nature and only affect certain setups. For instance if you have a TV service where the audio switches between commercials and content (2.0 to 5.1) it can cause loss of audio momentarily.

The other big one is having two different TV's/display hooked up to both HDMI outs together. If one display is of a lesser HDMI spec than the other it can cause handshake issues. Mainly seems to happen for those with a TV and projector setup.

I'm only selling mine off due to medical bills. The sound is phenomenal though.
Nexgen76 likes this.
post #127 of 141 Old 12-02-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
I have a super simple setup (one source, one projector) with my XMC-2, and it is still glitchy. It works well 95% of the time since the last firmware update, but it is far from perfect. Comparatively, the Marantz 7703 I had before this worked perfectly 100% of the time. The XMC-2 does sound better and has a LOT of features for correction, even without the Dirac. Once Dirac is out, this is a major step up from anything Denon/Marantz can do, and there aren't a lot of other choices out there for a 16 channel pre/pro under $3k. If they can refine the last few issues and get Dirac working, I would totally recommend it.

My current issues:
  • Using REW to generate EQ settings for corrections is not quite right and seems to be stacking overlapping filters incorrectly resulting in severe overcorrection.
  • If using USB to move EQ files back and forth, after third removal and reinsertion of USB, it stops finding the files and requires a reboot.
  • Sound cuts out on FFWD with some devices that send no audio during FFWD or RWD (Plex for example). Takes around 1 second to handshake with audio again. Used to be way worse before 1.7 firmware. Annoying if you are skipping ahead through shows alot, but otherwise not an issue.
  • Unrefined interface that is sometimes glitchy. OSD is a little laggy.
  • Double handshake on change in framerate. Goes black while changing frame rate from 60p to 24p (normal), then comes on, then goes to "no signal" blue screen (not normal), then comes back on. This is with JVC projector. Not a big deal, but happens on every frame rate change. Probably in place to help with handshaking to new sources that are still turning on.
  • Random issues like last night I powered everything up and I got a loud buzzing when there should have been no audio, and when I navigated in the Shield the clicks were loud higher frequency buzzes, even with volume turned way down. Had to reset the XMC-2, then I lost video so I had to switch sources back and forth, and after 4 handshakes I finally had video again. (only happened once so far, but have had several little glitches that require a reboot)

Ultimately I need this unit to just work, and that is the biggest problem, sometimes you have to "fiddle" to get it working right, and that is a dealbreaker if not fixed. I'm not always home to fix it if something glitches out. Unfortunately, my alternatives are going to be more expensive or missing features I want, like OSD and fully balanced outputs, so either I have to downgrade if these issues don't get resolved, or spend a LOT more money for something else that is equivalent.
Nexgen76 likes this.
post #128 of 141 Old 12-03-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Perfect thanks, just connected, I'm getting sound, I'll play around with it more tomorrow.

I didn’t do anything. I am just waiting for Dirac. I may do REW though bc I just found the mic that came with.
post #129 of 141 Old 12-12-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I didn’t do anything. I am just waiting for Dirac. I may do REW though bc I just found the mic that came with.
I just did REW last night - while I wait for Dirac. Sounds noticeably better and it was already really good.
post #130 of 141 Old 12-12-2019, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Quote:

Just fot a FYI there is a dedicated thread for the XMC-2 for owners. You should post operating questions in that thread.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...rs-thread.html
post #131 of 141 Old 02-13-2020, 08:13 PM
Audio Pack Rat

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 165
There was an Emotiva podcast on the 7th that said they had a working version of Dirac in house and were expecting it to be released around 45 days from the podcast date.

Spoiler!
post #132 of 141 Old 02-14-2020, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealmaniac View Post
There was an Emotiva podcast on the 7th that said they had a working version of Dirac in house and were expecting it to be released around 45 days from the podcast date.
Any estimated 'release date' from Emo needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Probably a 10 lb. bag of salt.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #133 of 141 Old 02-14-2020, 09:05 AM
Audio Pack Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Any estimated 'release date' from Emo needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Probably a 10 lb. bag of salt.
True however there might now be a grain of salt at the end of the tunnel!

Spoiler!
post #134 of 141 Old 02-14-2020, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Quoted: 6111 Post(s)
Liked: 5672
Quote:
I just did REW last night - while I wait for Dirac. Sounds noticeably better and it was already really good.
Is PEQ working for the LFE/subs?
post #135 of 141 Old 02-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Quote:
Is PEQ working for the LFE/subs?
For my sub I’m using the PEQ from my SVS PB16 as I have a different setting for music vs. movies.
post #136 of 141 Old 03-04-2020, 04:26 PM
Audio Pack Rat

Anyone have the XMC-1 with a Harmony One remote try it with the XMC-2 or are the remote codes different?
Thanks!

Spoiler!
post #137 of 141 Old 03-09-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
True however there might now be a grain of salt at the end of the tunnel!
The latest podcast said end of March. However, I’m in agreement with you guys in that I’m not sure it will be released at the end of March.

However, it seems like Emotiva is on a mission to fix as many issues as they can and improve usability before Dirac is out. Plus they had to deal with the ASR thing that turned out to be a blessing in disguise. In the past month the Emotiva processors have made some serious strides. Firmware 1.9 took care of the ASR issue than put the RMC1 at #1 . The menu response time is nearly instant now and my red / green screen are not there anymore.

Being on the beta team I’m on 1.9.1 and while I can’t say much, it’s gonna be another strong firmware update. Exciting times I must say.

Let’s cross that finish line with Dirac!

I’m not interested in Auro as I have my ceiling speakers installed. I’m good with the XMC2’s feature set. If I don’t get dts pro, that’s fine too.

Hope you all downloaded 1.9
post #138 of 141 Old 03-11-2020, 04:47 PM
Audio Pack Rat

Firmware update problem.

I was/am? updating to 1.9 and it seemed to be progressing just fine. After 7-10 minutes or so the progress bars went away and I am stuck on the "please wait" message on the display.

It has been approx 30 minutes now since the please wait message appeared. Any thoughts?

Spoiler!
post #139 of 141 Old 03-12-2020, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Firmware update problem.

I was/am? updating to 1.9 and it seemed to be progressing just fine. After 7-10 minutes or so the progress bars went away and I am stuck on the "please wait" message on the display.

It has been approx 30 minutes now since the please wait message appeared. Any thoughts?
Had a similar issue, only with the RMC-1. I bravely decided to switch off and on, then checked the firmware had upgraded and everything had updated. No issues ................... but YMMV

Though not exactly your issue, here's a link to a post on the Lounge that covers problem updates https://emotivalounge.proboards.com/post/1024211/thread
post #140 of 141 Old 03-12-2020, 06:25 AM
Audio Pack Rat

Well I (as others have done) switched mine off via back panel rocker switch and then back on after removing the usb stick. It powered up and went to the "please wait" screen where 2-3 progress bars just like the update had appeared and then it was all normal after that.

Firmware version now shows 1.9 so I guess all is good......sigh
Modicen likes this.

Spoiler!
post #141 of 141 Old 03-12-2020, 12:54 PM

I’m very glad that worked out. I never had that happen to me so I wasn’t sure what to do unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva , xmc-2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page