Owner's Thread (2019) Pioneer VSX-LX504 IMAX Enhanced receiver thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 08-27-2019, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Owner's Thread (2019) Pioneer VSX-LX504 IMAX Enhanced 9.2-ch receiver thread

Pioneer VSX-LX504 9.2-ch AV Receiver Official Website

Just finished setting up my home theater, centered around the Pioneer VSX-LX504 and coming from my previous Pioneer VSX-LX503 receiver: LX503 Owner's Thread

My System:
Front speakers: PSB Imagine X2T (review: CNET review)
Center speaker: PSB Imagine XC
Surrounds: PSB Imagine XB
Atmos Add-ons: PSB XA (4 total)
Sub: JL Audio Fathom f113 v2
4K UHD Player: Panasonic DP-UB9000
SACD/CD player: Sony UBP-X1100ES

So right off the bat, I'm noticing a pronounced bass in all speakers compared to the Pio LX503. Punchy and a lot deeper. This bass was even more pronounced after adding a pair PSB X2T floor standers, which are already bass heavy to begin with. Not sure I like it, but we'll see if I get use to it as time passes. After installing the newest August 1st firmware for the LX504 (which officially adds support for IMAX Enhanced movies), I grabbed my copy of 4K IMAX Space Station Blu-ray disc and placed it into the Panny UB9000 tray. I wanted to hear for myself if IMAX Enhanced was just marketing shtick or an actual benefit to home theater users. I went in feeling skeptical, but after the first few minutes I could actually feel myself being inside a large movie theater. Every sound, from the narrator's voice (Tom Cruise) reverberating to the actual content I was seeing onscreen just sounded bigger than my actual living room. I FELT like I was inside an actual large movie theater. Not so much the loudness of it all (when the shuttle's thrusters blasted off I thought I would go deaf, had to lower the volume immediately!!) but just the larger spacing I felt. I live in the city, and my apartment living room dimensions are rather quaint (13'x11'x9' ceiling). But listening to the IMAX Enhanced track just opened up the soundstage. I know that's usually a term audiophiles use when describing speakers/amplifiers, but I feel it applies to this scenario. Everything just "opened up" in my small apartment living room and made everything feel spacious. I'm convinced the IMAX Enhanced track made a big difference in my viewing/listening experience. The only drawback I see going forward, is the lack of IMAX titles available. Unless some miracle happens between Disney/IMAX/anyone else, and we start getting IMAX 4K Blu-rays like Avenger's End Game or other IMAX titles, I don't see how else to take advantage of this new codec. There's only so many IMAX documentaries you can watch before you want actual movies to show off your new IMAX Enhanced receiver...

As far as music goes, I will leave this one out until I get my Sony X1100ES for media playback. Should be picking it up either tomorrow or Thursday from BB. So for now, that's all I will say other than I am (so far) a very happy camper with the Pioneer VSX-LX504.

Final note: I haven't even calibrated it because I misplaced my calibration mic included in the box. So I just did a manual setup, changing the speaker config settings; like distances and crossover. I feel when I dial in the proper settings using the MCACC Advanced calibration (once I find the damn calibration mic) everything will sound even better. Haven't even considered a professional video/audio calibration yet, but I'll look into that as well later in the year.

More impressions to come...
asabrag likes this.

Last edited by Rieper; 08-27-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 08-27-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 120
A few (lousy I know) pics of my home theater setup/gear:

post #3 of 47 Old 08-27-2019, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post
A few (lousy I know) pics of my home theater setup/gear:

Great thread! Great equipment!
It seems the punchier you feel may be the A/B amps against the 503 D class. I love the extra bass from Onkyo's so, I like your feedback.

Just wondering: the blue light in the middle of the receiver, does it turn on when playing Atmos/X/Imax or any High Def signal?
Rieper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 08-28-2019, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I just recently got a elite vsx lx504 from pioneer as a warranty upgrade over my 503. I'm definitely liking my 504 but ive yet to use my iMax enhanced. I will have to pickup an IMAX disc and give it a try. I like some of the changes they did to the 504 but theres a few things in wish they would change. Overall I really like it and I'm pleased with pioneer service. Heres a list of my equipment.

Pioneer elite vsx lx-504
3 Kenwood km-x1000 bridged on the 3 mains 270 watts
1 km-x1 6 channel
Polk monitor 70 mains
Polk csia6 center
Polk fxi30 side
Polk fxi30 back surround
Polk R10 rear height
Polk R10 celing height
Polk psw404 sub
Polk psw505 sub
Klipsch reference 12
Sony 4k blu ray player
Monster line conditioner
Samsung QLed Q6

I've changed my room up a bit so I'll share a pic later today.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 47 Old 08-28-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
Great thread! Great equipment!
It seems the punchier you feel may be the A/B amps against the 503 D class. I love the extra bass from Onkyo's so, I like your feedback.

Just wondering: the blue light in the middle of the receiver, does it turn on when playing Atmos/X/Imax or any High Def signal?
lx503 does NOT have class D amps as the 2 professional online reviewers have said. They mistakenly took the term direct energy to mean class d.
Pete7874 likes this.
post #6 of 47 Old 08-30-2019, 05:01 AM

Liked: 4
Lighting in my room sucks so sorry for the bad pics. This room is a sunroom converted to a media room. It's big, 15.6x27x10. I built acustic panels that slides inside the windows. I still have a lot to do but it sounds great. The pioneer 504 is a great reciever. I'm very happy with mine.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Rieper and asabrag like this.
post #7 of 47 Old 09-01-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've been pretty happy with mine since I got it but there are some things I'm not fully happy with...

1. MCACC sets subwoofer gain about 8db too low (though the distance measurement was spot on).

2. MCACC doesn't seem to get me 0dB = 0dB compared to my old VSX-45TX (AppleTV 4k sources are about 10-15dB quieter than with old receiver). I've got to verify what my SPL meter says with the test tones during manual runs as things have changed a bit since running audio from ATV4K direct to receiver vs to TV and out from TV via optical to old receiver...

3. Remote sucks. Nuff said. Phone App is nice, but I shouldn't have to run my $1k receiver with a phone app.

4. Would have appreciated receiver saying "ATMOS" when it's getting fed Atmos content, instead of always displaying the name of the input it is on; thought I read the manual fully, but quite possibly user error here.

5. I miss the "Front Align" MCACC from my VSX-45tX; this MCACC Advanced seems somewhat of a mixed bag. As a result of no longer having "Front Align", I have to listen to my music in "Pure Direct" instead of Stereo, as I like all the EQ for movies, but it just sucks the life out of my main speakers for music; the old MCACC on my 45TX allowed the EQ to match the front main speakers and was easily toggled between "normal" and "front align" for my dual use setup.

6. Bass Management is weak for a 2019 product. Per speaker bass management should be on everything in 2019, IMHO. Would like to run 60Hz on fronts, 80 on CC and Surrounds, 120 on SB pairs and tops, but can't... So I compromise and run 80...

Things I like:

1. Atmos! 7.1.4 sounds incredible on a good mix.

2. Preamp outs (needed with my Maggie front speakers), and to run outboard amps for Surround Back's when running a 7.1.4 setup.

3. CEC plays nice with my AppleTV 4k and Vizio 4k TV.

4. Pure Direct mode for listening to music isn't quite pure and direct since it uses BM, but boy oh boy does it sound good streaming lossless from my computer to the ATV4k though my little maggies.

5. HDMI handshaking is quick and has had not one glitch so far in the month I've had it.

I have a 70" Vizio 4k TV from like 2016 without HDR that used to be the "halfway modern" part of my setup since it had HDMI (E70-d3u). It also would output DD 5.1 over optical from any HDMI source. I got sick of how long it took to switch inputs on the Vizio since my "cheap" TV has the worst remote ever made, so I said "to hell with it, time to upgrade the dinosaur of a receiver" and get some new features.

For music, I gotta have my Maggies, but for movies, I actually think I'd prefer to run my extra pair of CLR2002's up front... I'm considering pulling the maggies and TN1220's out and going dedicated 2ch upstairs, and then running all Def Tech's in the theater (after upgrading to some newer and more capable HSU subs for the theater room). Unfortunately, buying the 504 and 4 pro-monitors, and mounts, and speaker wire for Atmos has killed my toy budget for a while.

Equipment:
Vizio E70-d3u 70" 4k TV
Elite VSX-LX504 driving SL, SR, TFL, TFR, TBL, TBR speakers
Sunfire Cinema Grand driving FL, C, FR, SBL, SBR speakers
AppleTV 4k
Xbox One X
Speakers:
FL & FR: Magnepan MMG
CC: Definitive Tech CLR2002
SL & SR: Definitive Tech BP2X (I think)
SBL & SBR: Definitive Tech BP1.2X
TF & TR pairs: Definitive Tech Promonitor 800
Subs: 2x HSU Research TN1220HO driven by single HSU 500W amp.

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.
post #8 of 47 Old 09-08-2019, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi ya'll,
Any idea when the LX704 & 904 will hit the retail market ? I don't need to buy now so when it does I hope to do an A/B with the Denon X6500H.

B&W CM10S2, center 2 S2, CM1S2
SVS elevations, IL120s
Sony 75" 4K, Pioneer Elite
Outlaw 5000, Oppo UDP-203
Victor QL-Y66F, Nagaoka 500
post #9 of 47 Old 09-08-2019, 10:06 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcus58 View Post
Hi ya'll,
Any idea when the LX704 & 904 will hit the retail market ? I don't need to buy now so when it does I hope to do an A/B with the Denon X6500H.
I believe they will be released in October.
post #10 of 47 Old 10-13-2019, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
VSX-LX504 remote destination port?

I just got a Pioneer Elite VSX-LX504 to replace my SC-57 with a UE23 error, and I'm trying to update my iRule setup to talk to the 504. Anyone have a thought as to what iRule device to use and what gateway destination port to use? tia.
post #11 of 47 Old 10-23-2019, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anyone tried these with a Sonos Port? Will audio be perfectly in sync, or at least imperceivably and without "echo"?
post #12 of 47 Old 10-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yes, it is possible to do this with the audio in sync, or at least imperceptibly out of sync to my ear with the Sonos Port.

Another question: is there a way to get the video from my AppleTV, on HDMI 1 (where I have all my photos on the screensaver), and the audio from the CD analog inputs (my Sonos Port) together, but also be able to easily (as in the startup routine on a Logitec Harmony remote) switch back to HDMI 1 audio and video (when I was to watch streaming stuff on the AppleTV)?
post #13 of 47 Old 11-06-2019, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi, does anyone know how the "Stereo Assign Mode" work? I could only see this option on the Pioneer RemoteApp on my iPhone. got this unit in august and still playing around with it. Please let me know if anyone has got this option to work.
post #14 of 47 Old 11-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobder View Post
Hi, does anyone know how the "Stereo Assign Mode" work? I could only see this option on the Pioneer RemoteApp on my iPhone. got this unit in august and still playing around with it. Please let me know if anyone has got this option to work.
Yes, when in Stereo Mode, you can change sound to come out from the Fronts, the Surrounds, the Surround Backs...
Very easy way to audition/compare speakers
post #15 of 47 Old 11-07-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asabrag View Post
Yes, when in Stereo Mode, you can change sound to come out from the Fronts, the Surrounds, the Surround Backs...
Very easy way to audition/compare speakers
Thank you.
asabrag likes this.
post #16 of 47 Old 11-07-2019, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Can the 504 play Amazon Music Ultra HD?
post #17 of 47 Old 11-22-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTracy3 View Post
Can the 504 play Amazon Music Ultra HD?
I use my MacBook Pro connected by HDMI to Pioneer VSX-LX504
post #18 of 47 Old 11-25-2019, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Just hooked one of these up a few days ago as a UE22 replacement.The audio of my Dish receiver to the AVR is optical.The owners manual appears to be telling me that I should hear that audio when I select "tv" but I can disconnect the optical cable and still hear the Dish receiver.So when the AVR display reads "TV" I'm actually hearing the hdmi arc connection.I have toggled through the other inputs and still don't hear the optical input.Any ideas?Thanks

Panasonic TCP65GT30-Pioneer VSX 504-Emotiva XPA2- Sony PS4-Oppo DV980H-Dish 622-Polk RTI A9s(front)Polk RTI A6 (center) Polk FXI A4's(rear) Klipsch RW12D(subwoofer)-Dish 622
post #19 of 47 Old 12-24-2019, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Pioneer Elite VSX-LX504

After much looking decided to get one based on reviews. Was wondering if anyone has any comments good or bad on the unit? I will be using it as a pre-amp so any comments on internal amplification not needed mostly interested in sound quality ease of hooking it up etc.
Thanks

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
post #20 of 47 Old 12-24-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've got one.

Gripes:

Remote sucks.
Global crossovers not acceptable in a $1k receiver in 2019.
MCACC sucked all life out of my Magnepans for music.
No ability to do a "front align" for EQ based off main speakers like my old VSX-45TX.
MCACC sets sub gain ridiculously low.
MCACC sets anything that has output to 50-60Hz as "large".
Have to power back surrounds with outboard amp if going to 7.x.4 speaker output; limited channel reassignment of amp channels is what I'm really saying.

MCACC "Advanced" makes movies sound awesome.
HDMI switching is fast, handshakes are very fast, and enough HDMI ports for my needs.
7.1.4 processing ability for ATMOS/DTS:X.
Full pre-amp outs for 7 bed speakers, 4 height speakers, and 2 subs (though I'm pretty sure sub outs are simply split from 1 output).
Pure Direct mode bypasses the MCACC settings that work awesome for movies, allowing my Magnepans to do their thing for music.

I like the way the unit sounds, and despite some gripes with MCACC and sub gain, and setting small speakers as large, the auto-setup is quick and easy. I think the standing wave control is what sucks the life out of my magnepans for music, but when I put it into "pure direct" mode, they come back to life for music. Oddly, I don't notice movies sounding lifeless with the EQ and such at play. But like all things HT, your mileage can and likely will vary.

I'm happy enough with the unit, and run my side surrounds and 4 heights off the receiver. My front mains, center, and back surrounds are driven with an outboard 5 channel power amp. Planning to eventually pony up and get another power amp and use receiver as purely pre/pro.

post #21 of 47 Old 12-24-2019, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks I read pretty much the same as far as dislikes go. In my situation really do not care about setting the sub gains I am using a minidsp and rew and a umik mic to do adjustments. The crossover seems to be fairly common issue but with my system I set all spkrs to small and have xver at 150. Read different things concerning remote but I have a harmony so not a real issue. I will be using this as a preamp so that is why really could care less of internal power. After looking at prices for a dolby atmos rcvr with preouts this seemed to be the best deal that I could find.

Denon AVR-4520 LCR BIC PL89ii's w/ 2 SX2400 amps, Volt6 front height w/nu3000, Volt6 rear height w/EP-2000, BIC DV84's w/EPX2800
Infinity1262's in Quad Opposed box w/ nu6000,SI DS4's in 2 sealed Marty Cube w/ IT 8000, 2 SI HST18's in Dual Opposed w/ A14K
post #22 of 47 Old 12-26-2019, 06:41 AM

Liked: 0
Stereo Question

I have the 504 and it sounds great for really everything when using any surround mode but when I am listening to music and put it in stereo mode it sounds horrible. I have RP-8000s for my front speakers and it just sounds bad when I hit the stereo button. This is on all inputs, phono, CD, streaming Tidal, everything. It just sounds like there isn't much power being sent to the speakers. I tried some Polk T50s also just to see if there just wasn't enough power to drive the RPs but sounds the same. I have to turn up the volume to about 3/4 to fill a room about 12x13.

Thanks.
post #23 of 47 Old 12-28-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does the 504 have eARC?
post #24 of 47 Old 12-29-2019, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

So much for the 504 went to hook it up and right out of the box no display 3 blue lights that is it!! Tried resetting no change took it back to Best Buy and decided to get A Marantz 6013

post #25 of 47 Old 12-30-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston F View Post
I have the 504 and it sounds great for really everything when using any surround mode but when I am listening to music and put it in stereo mode it sounds horrible. I have RP-8000s for my front speakers and it just sounds bad when I hit the stereo button. This is on all inputs, phono, CD, streaming Tidal, everything. It just sounds like there isn't much power being sent to the speakers. I tried some Polk T50s also just to see if there just wasn't enough power to drive the RPs but sounds the same. I have to turn up the volume to about 3/4 to fill a room about 12x13.

Thanks.
Try running it "pure direct" instead of stereo. It'll still run subs if you're feeding it via digital inputs this way; haven't tried analog inputs to see if it bypasses bass management like it should if it's "pure" and "direct".

My Maggies don't like the full EQ and correction in stereo mode. But, put it to pure direct, and they come back to life. Oddly, there's no issue on movies, but it doesn't sound good in stereo with the full set of corrections going on for me. No volume problem on my end though...

post #26 of 47 Old 01-03-2020, 11:34 PM

I'm new to Pioneer. Have always been Denon in the past.

Just hooked up the VSXLX504 to my Apple TV and Sony 4K TV.

Question - is there anyway to prevent the volume adjustments from appearing on-screen? I'd like to turn this off but can't figure out how.

Thanks
post #27 of 47 Old 01-03-2020, 11:34 PM

Disable On Screen Volume Adjustments

I'm new to Pioneer. Have always been Denon in the past.

Just hooked up the VSXLX504 to my Apple TV and Sony 4K TV.

Question - is there anyway to prevent the volume adjustments from appearing on-screen? I'd like to turn this off but can't figure out how.

Thanks
post #28 of 47 Old 01-16-2020, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
6.1 with VSX LX304?

I have my current Pioneer Elite VSX 94TXH receiver set up for 6.1 (one back surround speaker). The software/ports allow for that, and it works great. Can that be done with the VSX LX504 (or LX304)?
post #29 of 47 Old 01-17-2020, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all. I just purchased this receiver recently and can't figure out why when I first turn on everything (receiver, tv, directtv using the directtv remote) all of it turns on but then the source changes from cab/sat to tv after 15 secs. I have to select cab/sat again after to get back to normal.

How do I change this so it defaults to these settings when I use the directtv remote?

Thanks!

Mike
post #30 of 47 Old 01-18-2020, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikemike View Post
I have my current Pioneer Elite VSX 94TXH receiver set up for 6.1 (one back surround speaker). The software/ports allow for that, and it works great. Can that be done with the VSX LX504 (or LX304)?
Just exchanged emails with Pioneer tech. The answer is YES, but must be setup manually for 7.1. I had already setup automatically with 5.1 so I can use those same speaker levels when setting the system config up manually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page