Most affordable 9 channel AVR of 2019 with premium features - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By eriksells916
  • 1 Post By Worf
  • 1 Post By AlphaPie

post #1 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Most affordable 9 channel 2019 AVR with premium features

I have had so much good advice in the DIY Speaker section of this Forum that I decided to discover if the AVR experts are as active here. Crossing Fingers!

ESSENTIAL FEATURES I would like by priority:
  • Price range: $500-$800
  • 9 Channels - I actually would not mind a pre-amp with 11 if possible
  • Dolby Digital Plus - Dolby ATMOS - DTS:X
  • 4K HDCP2.2 compatible - We use Firestick 4k, Chromecast Ultra, Roku, Netflix, Hulu, & Vudu
  • eArc - Would be nice for future-proofing
  • Room Correction Ability - Any automatic phase/distance/volume speaker calibration

OTHER FEATURES wanted but not necessary:
  • CEC - So the TV can turn the AVR on and vice-versa
  • Edit calibration results - Ability to make fine edits to room correction results
  • Alexa/Chromecast Voice ability - Either through a mobile app or natively
  • Android App - Would be nice to send music via app instead of Bluetooth
  • Volume Display on 4k - Ability to display AVR volume on top of 4k output to TV
  • Ethernet Port - I prefer direct, but can connect via Wifi if required
  • 12V DC Trigger - So I can use it to power on/off a sub amp
  • Dual Sub Output - It would be nice to calibrate future Midbass modules separate
  • Remote In/Out - For easier direct remote control use
  • Auro-3D - Ability to play Auro-3D content
  • HDR Ability - This is not that important since my current TV feels a bit sluggish when activated

Thanks in advance to everyone that responds, this decision is slowly eating @ me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	most-affordable-2019-AVR-Receiver-with-9-channels.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	2608180  

DIY HTR: One 800 lb. VBSS credenza, 3 horizontal Elusive 1099s, 2 HT-8 height duty wedges, & 2 DIY Volt 6 Tabletop Surrounds.
Bedroom:5 MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds, 2 hidden DIY shallow 12's, & 2 BST Bass Shakers on 2 PB875 Ensos.

Last edited by kagtha; 09-18-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

RESERVED for notes and final AVRs chosen for my needs listed above and why.

NOTES: (What I learned)

Yamaha's most expensive model does not include: ( info derived by reading this manual)
1. The ability to turn off TV via HDMI (CEC) I may need to remove this, I found CEC on an RX model.
2. The ability to Room Correct 2 separate subwoofers as far as I can tell
3. "Presence" Speakers that are not exactly positioned perfectly for Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 but can be set as front and rear ceiling mount vs wall.

Yamaha does have:
1. Super Fine Image Control by allowing you to set height and angle of Front & Rear Heights.
2. ALL other AVRs do not have the ability to Use the Front Height (Front Presence) speakers to expand Dialog from center speaker up a bit for all Dolby besides Atmos.

The Pioneer VSX-LX503 has just about everything for roughly $600 except the ability to set a crossover for every speaker. (Only 1 crossover can be set for all speakers)

DIY HTR: One 800 lb. VBSS credenza, 3 horizontal Elusive 1099s, 2 HT-8 height duty wedges, & 2 DIY Volt 6 Tabletop Surrounds.
Bedroom:5 MLT-2 LCR & Surrounds, 2 hidden DIY shallow 12's, & 2 BST Bass Shakers on 2 PB875 Ensos.

Last edited by kagtha; 09-18-2019 at 05:13 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
I think all room correction treats all subs as a single sub. The delay can vary between the channels, but the EQ treats all subs aggregated as a single sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 195
@kagtha i believe every 9 channel receiver from 2018+ can accomodate you, except with Alexa and Auro-3d, which is only found in DM and Yamaha.

The Pioneer (lx503/504) and onkyo (rz730/740/830/840) can only calibrate a single sub. The Denon/Marantz has xt32 which has excellent dual sub control while the higher end Yamahas (2070+) have dual sub control and I believe the ability to adjust the peq as well?? The older models only went to 31hz but these new and higher end Yammys can go to 15.6hz, iirc?

I believe the onkyo rz line and higher end Yamaha have manual calibration of their room correction while the new DM products have the $20 audyssey app that allows some manual calibrations as well.

The best person to confirm my info and answer these questions is @jdsmoothie .
kagtha likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-28-2019, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 567
You may want to reconsider CEC - simply because if it works, it works, if it doesn't well, you'll tear your hair out trying to get it to work. Unless you have a need for it, a quality universal remote like a harmony would probably work far better.

And that doesn't even include the chance you hook it all up and it doesn't work. And doesn't work includes working unexpectedly, like it works, but mysteriously changes inputs randomly. Or doing really strange things like you change inputs and it suddenly reverts.

It's not a feature where I would choose one receiver over another. Rather have a receiver with poor CEC but better everything else, than a receiver with working CEC but compromise elsewhere
MUDCAT45 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-30-2019, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
You may want to reconsider CEC - simply because if it works, it works, if it doesn't well, you'll tear your hair out trying to get it to work. Unless you have a need for it, a quality universal remote like a harmony would probably work far better.

And that doesn't even include the chance you hook it all up and it doesn't work. And doesn't work includes working unexpectedly, like it works, but mysteriously changes inputs randomly. Or doing really strange things like you change inputs and it suddenly reverts.

It's not a feature where I would choose one receiver over another. Rather have a receiver with poor CEC but better everything else, than a receiver with working CEC but compromise elsewhere

LOL! I thought it was just me!!! I purchased an entry 7 ch Denon about a month ago to replace my 10+-year-old Onkyo and every time I am convinced I figured out what setting to change, something Wonky happens. It was changing to TV every time I used Alexa to play music. Now it's the opposite... when I ask my firestick remote to play a movie, it changes back to Chromecast but works fine when I ask a regular Alexa around the house to show the front door camera or play some music. Driving me batty, I literally know all of this Denon's option menu setting by reflex now. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I do like the Denon overall though, but I am lacking the rear Dolby height processing I did not know I needed until the last minute hence my reason for trying to find a semi-affordable 9 channel AVR.

Last edited by kagtha; 08-30-2019 at 04:59 AM. Reason: "every time" grammar incorrect
post #7 of 10 Old 09-18-2019, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

This search is killing me.

The Pioneer VSX-LX503 is less than $600 but I am told you cannot set a crossover per channel, only 1 blanket crossover for all 9 channels. (I mostly verified in the manual page 124)

I absolutely cannot understand why pre-aplifiers are more expensive than AVRs with amplfied channels. It makes no sense to me. I recently picked up a 16 channel amplifier and would LOVE to entertain a capable 9.2 or 11.2 preamp with XLR outs, even used if I can get it for around $600-$700 delivered.

post #8 of 10 Old 09-18-2019, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagtha View Post

I absolutely cannot understand why pre-aplifiers are more expensive than AVRs with amplfied channels.
supply and demand. And economies of scale.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-21-2019, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagtha View Post
This search is killing me.

The Pioneer VSX-LX503 is less than $600 but I am told you cannot set a crossover per channel, only 1 blanket crossover for all 9 channels. (I mostly verified in the manual page 124)

I absolutely cannot understand why pre-aplifiers are more expensive than AVRs with amplfied channels. It makes no sense to me. I recently picked up a 16 channel amplifier and would LOVE to entertain a capable 9.2 or 11.2 preamp with XLR outs, even used if I can get it for around $600-$700 delivered.
I've been a pioneer elite user for many years and I can confirm the current mcacc pro has a blanket crossover setting for all channels. Unlike audyssey. A feature I wish pioneer had, to be sure.
kagtha likes this.

Pioneer Elite SC-85 | RBH R-515 LCR | Morel Surrounds | DIY 12" Infinity Subs w/ Inuke 3000

2 CH - Realistic STA-2100D | Realistic Optimus 5-B (restored) | Marantz AT 6 | Sony CDP-CE375
post #10 of 10 Old 09-21-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well thanks to @jdsmoothie my brain boggle was cleared up.

He led me to the Promise Land.

Interestingly enough, the only preowned Marantz AV7703 available in the Entire United States on eBay was in the same state as menlisted as pick-up only. I not only got it for less than a grand but the guy selling it is a Marantz representative and Martin Logan I think he said. At least that is what he said.

He is delivering it to me and invited me to hear a customer's/friends high end home theater since he lives next to me somewhere. I can't wait to hear what mine is supposed to sound like. Lol.

Do Totem Forest Signature speakers sound good?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page