Separates for my front channels - advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Leeliemix
  • 1 Post By pase22
  • 1 Post By bobknavs
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Separates for my front channels - advice

Hi all! I am currently running a HT/audio setup in my basement through an RX-V681. While I have been generally happy with the quality and functionality of that particular AVR, I'd like to move to dedicated power for my front channels as I usually listen to music on this setup. I would also like to bypass all of the additional adjustments being applied by the RX, but pure direct mode is a joke in my experience. I have been considering a Denon 3500 as it has pre-outs and an Emotiva A-500 or Outlaw 5000. My main question is whether the Denon is a good option for this or whether I should get the Denon, another music-oriented pre-amp, and run the fronts completely separately when listening to music. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Currently running:
RX-v681
Dali Oberon 7
Dali Oberon Vokal
Rega Planar 2

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
whistleface is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Why do you feel the yamaha pure direct is a joke?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Leeliemix is online now  
post #3 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
Why do you feel the yamaha pure direct is a joke?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No subwoofer integration and it sounds incredibly hollow with a tiny soundstage. I have run the same speakers on Onkyo and Emotiva stereo Amos and they sound fantastic, but the pure direct/stereo mode on the 681 sounds deflated. I had the same issue on my previous 481 as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
whistleface is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 122
You might like the denon but probably with audyssey enabled.
Im always a fan of powerful amps, it helps, but im not sure the 2 mentioned are that much better than the 3500 or if you put the money from separate amp into higher up denon/yamaha. A separate amp will be able to stay with you through a few AVRs though as the technology changes.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
whistleface likes this.
Leeliemix is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2274 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistleface View Post
No subwoofer integration and it sounds incredibly hollow with a tiny soundstage. I have run the same speakers on Onkyo and Emotiva stereo Amos and they sound fantastic, but the pure direct/stereo mode on the 681 sounds deflated. I had the same issue on my previous 481 as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I believe that in most AVRs "pure direct" means minimal digital processing.

As the crossover for the sub is performed digitally, "pure direct" probably isn't what you want to use if you wish to include a sub.
bobknavs is online now  
post #6 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I believe that in most AVRs "pure direct" means minimal digital processing.



As the crossover for the sub is performed digitally, "pure direct" probably isn't what you want to use if you wish to include a sub.
Correct, that's why I'm searching for a way to use separates to get the most of of my fronts as well as integrate my sub. I'm not sure if/how that is possible. My sub does not have high level inputs so I can't just forward the signal outside of the amp/receiver. I'm thinking I'll be stuck with a receiver of some kind, but Im looking for recommendations or ideas on how to best put that together. I guess I could always just put a separate integrated amp, but I then I'd have to disconnect and reconnect the sub and speaker cable constantly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
whistleface is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeliemix View Post
You might like the denon but probably with audyssey enabled.
Im always a fan of powerful amps, it helps, but im not sure the 2 mentioned are that much better than the 3500 or if you put the money from separate amp into higher up denon/yamaha. A separate amp will be able to stay with you through a few AVRs though as the technology changes.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Does Audyssey allow sub use with their direct mode, or would I be in the same boat?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
whistleface is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistleface View Post
Does Audyssey allow sub use with their direct mode, or would I be in the same boat?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk


Direct bypasses audyssey and bass management, but stereo mode can use both.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Leeliemix is online now  
post #9 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,171
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3297 Post(s)
Liked: 2739
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistleface View Post
No subwoofer integration and it sounds incredibly hollow with a tiny soundstage. I have run the same speakers on Onkyo and Emotiva stereo Amos and they sound fantastic, but the pure direct/stereo mode on the 681 sounds deflated. I had the same issue on my previous 481 as well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I'm running a Denon X3400H with a NAD 216 (125W/channel) amp for my LS50's. The X3400 can run the speakers fine on their own, but the NAD gives them a nice boost. For most music stereo with audyssey, dynamic eq and all other processing turned off sounds can pretty nice too if you want the sub involved. Audyssey XT32 does a pretty good job so you may actually like having audyssey on.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

Last edited by pase22; 09-11-2019 at 01:07 PM.
pase22 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I'm running a Denon X3400H with a NAD 216 (125W/channel) amp for my LS50's. The X3400 can run the speakers fine on their own, but the NAD gives them a nice boost. Direct mode is where the amp really makes a difference. Stereo with audyssey, dynamic eq and all other processing turned off sounds pretty nice too if you want the sub involved.
Thanks for the input! How have you liked the 3400?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
whistleface is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,171
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3297 Post(s)
Liked: 2739
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistleface View Post
Thanks for the input! How have you liked the 3400?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
The X3400 was a big upgrade over the Denon S710W that's now being used in another setup. Audyssey XT32, sub eq, more power have all made a noticeable difference. The biggest improvement was getting better speakers.
whistleface likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The X3400 was a big upgrade over the Denon S710W that's now being used in another setup. Audyssey XT32, sub eq, more power have all made a noticeable difference. The biggest improvement was getting better speakers.
Yeah the LS50s are a great, well rounded package. What did you have prior? I recently moved from Q500s to the Dalis and have been very satisfird.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
whistleface is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 4,479
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2274 Post(s)
Liked: 1615
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistleface View Post
Does Audyssey allow sub use with their direct mode, or would I be in the same boat?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I employ the normal stereo mode for 2 channel sources. Such as audio CDs. (Most of which I acquired from 1984 to 1995.)

It can be calming to not be a perfectionist.
whistleface likes this.
bobknavs is online now  
post #14 of 15 Old 09-11-2019, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I employ the normal stereo mode for 2 channel sources. Such as audio CDs. (Most of which I acquired from 1984 to 1995.)



It can be calming to not be a perfectionist.
Agreed, but this is equally parts music enjoyment and the fun of building a unique, high quality setup. I reached satisfactory sound long ago tbh.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
whistleface is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 09-12-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,171
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3297 Post(s)
Liked: 2739
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistleface View Post
Yeah the LS50s are a great, well rounded package. What did you have prior? I recently moved from Q500s to the Dalis and have been very satisfird.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I upgraded from Kef Q100's. The upgrade wasn't a giant leap, but a very noticeable step up in SQ.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off