Any AV receivers that don’t have relay clicking? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By skylarlove1999
  • 2 Post By Madmax67
  • 1 Post By Legairre
  • 1 Post By eriksells916
  • 2 Post By Jawaburger
  • 1 Post By afrogt
  • 1 Post By Jawaburger
  • 1 Post By Madmax67
  • 1 Post By Madmax67

post #1 of 24 Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Any AV receivers that don’t have relay clicking?

I’ve had an Onkyo TX-RZ620 for about 9 months and it’s mostly fine for my needs. Only issue is with relay clicking at random times or when switching from one audio format to another. It becomes a joke if I have it on direct and browsing Netflix trailers via ATV4K. Clicking all over the place.

So I just keep the receiver on Dolby Surround and only gets the clicking every now and then.

Are there any AV receivers out there that at least don’t have a relay click when changing audio modes?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionblue View Post
I’ve had an Onkyo TX-RZ620 for about 9 months and it’s mostly fine for my needs. Only issue is with relay clicking at random times or when switching from one audio format to another. It becomes a joke if I have it on direct and browsing Netflix trailers via ATV4K. Clicking all over the place.

So I just keep the receiver on Dolby Surround and only gets the clicking every now and then.

Are there any AV receivers out there that at least don’t have a relay click when changing audio modes?

Thanks.

all has to do with how the digital audio signal is handled by your output device. Every time the audio signal is interrupted the receiver will click because it has lost the signal, that's just the way Onkyo has designed the circuit. The TX-RZ620 is no different. The default audio format is DTS auto surround. So if you are watching something on that's in Dolby Digital when you go to pause the show or skip the commercials the audio relay will click as the amp is changing from DD to DSU. It's completely normal from what I've read and there's no way to disable it from doing so. A lot of times commercials will not be in DD so as the amp changes audio formats you will hear the click.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ionblue likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 09-11-2019, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2194 Post(s)
Liked: 2485
Denon Marantz receivers don't operate this way. Only hear the mechanical relays clicking when changing amp assigns or turning on or off the unit. These are protections for the pre amp from the amp section.
ionblue and d-rail34 like this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Anthem and Pioneer receivers don't have a relay clicking sound when changing audio formats.
ionblue likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #5 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Denon Marantz receivers don't operate this way. Only hear the mechanical relays clicking when changing amp assigns or turning on or off the unit. These are protections for the pre amp from the amp section.

Good to know. Been looking at the Marantz 6013, 2018 model, cause it’s heavily discounted. I’ll look closer at some Denon models since those two are almost the same tech wise, correct? And the Denon models at least have a useful display.

post #6 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
all has to do with how the digital audio signal is handled by your output device. Every time the audio signal is interrupted the receiver will click because it has lost the signal, that's just the way Onkyo has designed the circuit. The TX-RZ620 is no different. The default audio format is DTS auto surround. So if you are watching something on that's in Dolby Digital when you go to pause the show or skip the commercials the audio relay will click as the amp is changing from DD to DSU. It's completely normal from what I've read and there's no way to disable it from doing so. A lot of times commercials will not be in DD so as the amp changes audio formats you will hear the click.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the explanation. I figured it was something like this. Just can be annoying at times.

post #7 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Anthem and Pioneer receivers don't have a relay clicking sound when changing audio formats.

Thanks. I had a Pioneer Elite many years ago when component video was the best around. That beast would click on starting up, but I never recalled it doing it with format changes.

post #8 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 171
@ionblue I too was looking at the 6013 refurbed. It's basically a 9 channel x3500h with hdam and 7.1 preins, so if you do not need any of those then get the x3500h for less. Also, neither of those have a 3rd zone preout, you need to step up to the x4400/4500 to get that feature. Just an FYI!
ionblue likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post
@ionblue I too was looking at the 6013 refurbed. It's basically a 9 channel x3500h with hdam and 7.1 preins, so if you do not need any of those then get the x3500h for less. Also, neither of those have a 3rd zone preout, you need to step up to the x4400/4500 to get that feature. Just an FYI!

Thanks. I saw that one and it probably does all I need. Will definitely consider it.

post #10 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Good to know. Been looking at the Marantz 6013, 2018 model, cause it’s heavily discounted. I’ll look closer at some Denon models since those two are almost the same tech wise, correct? And the Denon models at least have a useful display.
Marantz receivers, at least 70XX and above, have a door that flips down on their front that has an LCD display that shows all of the information you feel is missing. It is a design choice to keep that LCD display hidden unless you feel there is something there that completes you and want to open the door and see, including how many channels are in the signal the receiver is getting, as well as what sort of audio and video signal you are getting.

Edited to correct information.
Tex_Thai and ionblue like this.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs

Last edited by Jawaburger; 09-12-2019 at 12:44 PM.
post #11 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
All Marantz receivers have a door that flips down on their front that has an LCD display that shows all of the information you feel is missing. It is a design choice to keep that LCD display hidden unless you feel there is something there that completes you and want to open the door and see, including how many channels are in the signal the receiver is getting, as well as what sort of audio and video signal you are getting.

Thanks for that info! In all the reviews I’ve seen, none of them even touch on that. Still really considering it and grow into some of the other features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #12 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
All Marantz receivers have a door that flips down on their front that has an LCD display that shows all of the information you feel is missing. It is a design choice to keep that LCD display hidden unless you feel there is something there that completes you and want to open the door and see, including how many channels are in the signal the receiver is getting, as well as what sort of audio and video signal you are getting.
I wouldn't say ALL Marantz receivers. The sr5012/13 doesn't have a flip down door and sr6012/13 certainly don't have the LCD display under the flip down door. the only one I saw with the LCD is the 7012/13 and I guess the sr8012 probably has it too.

Maybe you only look at the top of the line Marantz receivers?
ionblue likes this.

Afro GT
post #13 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I wouldn't say ALL Marantz receivers. The sr5012/13 doesn't have a flip down door and sr6012/13 certainly don't have the LCD display under the flip down door. the only one I saw with the LCD is the 7012/13 and I guess the sr8012 probably has it too.

I believe I have only seen the upper level receivers in person, and assumed this carried over to their other full sized receivers. I apologize for providing incorrect information.
ionblue likes this.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
post #14 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Many thanks. Explains why none of the reviews touch on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #15 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 01:01 PM

I attached pics of the flip down door on sr6012 and sr7012
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marantz sr6012 flip down.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	2614430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marantz sr7012 flip down.PNG
Views:	17
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	2614432  

Afro GT
post #16 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksells916 View Post

The more I look at the x3500, the more I think it’s a better fit for my current setup (5.2 and wanting to add 2 front height speakers). I honestly don’t know if the HDAMs would make a noticeable difference. They might.

post #17 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Correct. They are based on the same platforms and power supplies. Differences are HDAM in the pre amp plus multi channel analog inputs with the Marantz line. Both geared more towards 2 channel listening.
ionblue likes this.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #18 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The more I look at the x3500, the more I think it’s a better fit for my current setup (5.2 and wanting to add 2 front height speakers). I honestly don’t know if the HDAMs would make a noticeable difference. They might.

Only feedback on that you're going to get is based on sighted listening tests which are rife for confirmation bias so totally subjective (meaning geared towards the biases of the individual involved in the test.) The problem with only using these eyewitness testimonials is similar to eye witness testimony to a crime they are both highly unreliable as to what actually happened. Our brain lies to us all the time unfortunaltely.
ionblue likes this.

post #19 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Only feedback on that you're going to get is based on sighted listening tests which are rife for confirmation bias so totally subjective (meaning geared towards the biases of the individual involved in the test.) The problem with only using these eyewitness testimonials is similar to eye witness testimony to a crime they are both highly unreliable as to what actually happened. Our brain lies to us all the time unfortunaltely.
IME (key qualifier here) they don't. I had a chance to blind test 2 receivers in their respective direct modes, meaning just the power sections, level-matched with my own lossless material through some Revel speakers that I own and am very familiar with. I heard no distinguishable difference between the two receivers, which turned out to be a Marantz SR6013 and an Onkyo NR686; salesman picked them behind my back without me knowing what he chose until we were done. To me this was 'extra' significant becuase I've owned Onkyo for years, with my current AVR being an NR656, and heard zero difference.

The extension is that any difference I may hear when out of direct mode is due to processing rather than a true representation of the source material. Not what I'm going for when listening to music, though I don't care as much for video usage.

Last edited by KSpan; 09-12-2019 at 06:14 PM.
post #20 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:

Thanks.

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I figured it was something like this. Just can be annoying at times.

My previous AVR was an Onkyo TX-NR656 and it did the same thing....and yes, very annoying. Lol

I've since moved to a Denon, and just as was explained, no clicks!

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #21 of 24 Old 09-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Neither do the Yamahas (A-780 and TSR-5830).

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #22 of 24 Old 09-14-2019, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

I hope this doesn’t come back to bite me in the ass, but as I was contemplating the Denon 3500 I found an Amazon warehouse deal on the new model (3600). It’s $200 off retail and all it said in the description was packaging was damaged. I went for it cause, why the hell not?

It should be delivered Tuesday and then the fun begins. Providing there are no surprises of course.

post #23 of 24 Old 09-14-2019, 06:11 PM

The x3600 was discounted $200 off everywhere for the past two weeks. You must have just missed it and the price went back up.

Afro GT
post #24 of 24 Old 09-14-2019, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The x3600 was discounted $200 off everywhere for the past two weeks. You must have just missed it and the price went back up.

Yeah. I missed it. It’s the same price everywhere I saw.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page