JBL Synthesis SP-55 (16ch, 9.1.6 Atmos Surround Sound Processor) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 98Likes

post #1 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 356
JBL Synthesis SP-55 (16ch, 9.1.6 Atmos Surround Sound Processor)

Product Page-

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/product...ack-US-Current

RRP $6000

Very exciting product

No hardware updates for channel expansion - you have to move up to the substantially higher 65 or 75 processor model ranges.

Late this year/early next release date.

From a Sound & Vision article the HDMI board will be upgrdable to HDMI 2.1-
https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ve-controllers

Quote:
Further, the HDMI board is removable and replaceable so it can be easily updated to full HDMI 2.1 capability when the format is finalized, ensuring owners aren’t abandoned by a technology upgrade.

Spec Sheet Here- https://www.jblsynthesis.com/on/dema...t_EN_V2_LR.pdf

Quote:
The JBL Synthesis SDP-55 is designed to ensure exceptional performance without compromise. With best-in-class audio and video signal integrity,
16 channels of native processing, Dolby ATMOS®, DTS:X®, Auro 3D®, IMAX® Enhanced, Dirac Live®, Logic16™, Network Streaming, and Dante®,
the JBL Synthesis® SDP-55 delivers a powerful, sensory-rich experience with unrivaled flexibility.

Control your favorite content over Ethernet or Wi-Fi with Chromecast® built in, Apple® AirPlay 2™, Roon® the Harman Luxury MusicLife app, play
directly from a USB flash drive, or stream with Bluetooth.

An internal configuration page, integrated Dante, IP, IR, and RS232 control and a robust Zone 2 make the SDP-55 an outstanding choice for a
broad range of applications.

Features

Immersive High Resolution Sound
16 channels of discrete high resolution processing with 4 user configurable channels enable a plethora of set up options for Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and Auro 3D immersive surround sound applications.

Dante Network Audio
Bridge the gap between residential and commercial applications. All 16 channels of processed audio, plus Zone 2 can be routed on a single CAT5e or CAT6 cable over a standard network. Dante is easy to set up and compatible with Dante enabled JBL Synthesis amplifiers.

IMAX Enhanced
IMAX Enhanced certified AV receiver, featuring DTS:X immersive audio decoding that is optimized to properly reproduce the full dynamic range of IMAX theatrical sound mixes available in IMAX Enhanced content.
Network and Bluetooth Streaming

Control your favorite content over Ethernet or Wi-Fi, Chromecast built-in, Apple AirPlay 2, Roon, the Harman Luxury MusicLife app, play directly from a USB flash drive, or stream via Bluetooth with aptX HD.

Balanced XLR Outputs
A transformerless balanced output of 2V RMS (max. 10V RMS) ensures ample gain and common mode noise rejection.

Cinematic Video Experience
Dolby Vision, HDR10+, HDR10, HLG, HDMI, HDMI2.0b with HDCP2.2, 4K “Ultra HD” as well as 3D video capabilities are built in.

Designed for the Integrator
With an available rack mount kit, Dante, eARC and an internal configuration page, Dirac Live, IP, IR RS232 and iOS and Android App control the install, set up, and calibration has never been easier.

Logic 16
Logic 16 will up-mix any input source from mono up to 15.1, including all Dolby formats with natural astonishing 3D sound. In addition, Dolby, DTS Neural:X, and Auro 3D upmixers are on board.

CEDIA Videos-

From the 8min mark-

and

and

- Personally I hope the SDP-55 can playback Multichannel DSD from Roon over network like the Trinnov can. Also Qobuz also has multichannel album listings for playback via Roon.
- Also a backlit fully featured remote for those of us whom don't have an automation system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JBL_SDP55_Front_Hero_Web.png
Views:	10
Size:	883.6 KB
ID:	2624678   Click image for larger version

Name:	JBL_SDP55_Rear_Web.png
Views:	20
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2624680  
zorax2 likes this.

Last edited by Spizz; 10-11-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Will be interesting to compare with the Monoprice HTP1.
post #3 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
This is firmly on my radar. I also was looking at the HTP-1 but I have JBL speakers and crown amps so this looks very promising to me as I am a huge JBL/Crown fan.
DS-21 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Looks like a Trinnov. Could be exciting.
I suspect Trinnov in front, Arcam behind the faceplate. If Logic16 works out as a music upmixer, though - who cares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
This is firmly on my radar. I also was looking at the HTP-1 but I have JBL speakers and crown amps so this looks very promising to me as I am a huge JBL/Crown fan.
I was penciling in the HTP-1 too but I'm glad it's going to have competitors. It looked like it was going to be on an island. I don't count Emotiva - they fail on usability, and sonics because they don't include a competent upmixer for 2-channel music. Maybe this pressure will also get D+M to up their game with thoughtful multisub support and improvements to the Audyssey app, in their next gen pre-pro, and Anthem to work on multisub support and Auro.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #5 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 148
This looks very exciting. HTp-1 was also on my radar, though, at first glance, this looks like a real winner. Was not expecting that price either.

Does JBL have 'street' pricing or common sales that might have this thing end up ~$5k in a year or so?

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - JVC DLA-RS540 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R DIY Fusion 15 Sentinel - Surrounds RSL CG3 - Ceiling Polk RC80i - Dual UM-18s in sealed 4 cu ft with bridged Crown XLS 2002s
post #6 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimo View Post
This looks very exciting. HTp-1 was also on my radar, though, at first glance, this looks like a real winner. Was not expecting that price either.

Does JBL have 'street' pricing or common sales that might have this thing end up ~$5k in a year or so?
I am pretty confident you will be able to get this below MSRP from a vendor. I don't think they run sales per se...at least not that I have seen.
post #7 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
Interesting, any Dante enabled amp's that doesn't cost a fortune?

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #8 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 364
I'd really like to check out the Dante interface on this, I know Dante's coming to the Altitude 32 next year but this is an exciting advancement especially at this price point.

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
Kaleidescape Strato, Zapitti 4K HDR Duo, Xbox One X, 8TB Tivo Roamio Pro,
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
Oppo UDP-203, BDP-105, Onkyo DAC-1000s, Onkyo DP-X1 DAP, QNAP TVS-871
post #9 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

I think the only non-pro style amp so far is the synthesis one they announced with this processor
post #10 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post

QSC, Q-SYS Core DSP's will also accept an AES67/Dante data stream and you can then connect any amp downstream.

Trinnov Altitude 32, LCR JBL M2, JBL LSR 708i, 705i, Q-SYS Core 110f, Amps- QSC CXD4.2Q, 4.3Q, 4.5Q
JVC RS600 + ISCO IIIL, 158" 2.40:1 AT screen, Calman 5 Enthusiast, i1 Pro 2, i1 Display Pro, Spyder 5, 3D LUT Box
post #11 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwiggi View Post
I'd really like to check out the Dante interface on this, I know Dante's coming to the Altitude 32 next year but this is an exciting advancement especially at this price point.
And what is Dante?
post #12 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
And what is Dante?
It is simply to send audio over IP. In other words you simply connect standard cat5e cables and switches between your processor and amp's/active speakers. It has been used in pro audio for quite a while.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #13 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
And what is Dante?

In its simplest form its Audio over TCP/IP, Dante is just one flavor of the protocol that is probably the most popular.
Mashie Saldana likes this.

post #14 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Sheesh, who would have ever expected this price point? Still a bit too much for me, but will work just fine for many in these parts.

Looks like peasants like me could have something to save up for on the used market.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #15 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 994 Post(s)
Liked: 580
If this can handle the EQ and x-over for my M2s and multiple subs (at least distance and delay) then at this price it certainly beats out my current target, which is saving for the Storm Audio piece. While I've been told by my dealer that Storm claims to have the M2 profiles "close", I don't want "close" if I can get "exact". Plus, Storm wasn't exactly willing to work with me to let me test how "close" it was and that took most the wind out my sails. Glad, though, because this unit may be a better match for me and at a better price, too! I don't need the higher channel counts of the Storm. Plus, after some manual tweaking, I have been enjoying the sound in my room so much that I haven't even set up Dirac on my current NAD.

I have such a simple 2-channel + 3 subs setup that most of this stuff is overkill. There's not really much I want at this point except to get rid of my hissy Crowns because the only complaint I have is noise. I have been trying to find the most "pure" way to have all M2 EQ/x-over done in the digital domain with a single D->A before the power amps, for the least amount of money, and this may fit that bill!
post #16 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
If this can handle the EQ and x-over for my M2s and multiple subs (at least distance and delay) then at this price it certainly beats out my current target, which is saving for the Storm Audio piece. While I've been told by my dealer that Storm claims to have the M2 profiles "close", I don't want "close" if I can get "exact". Plus, Storm wasn't exactly willing to work with me to let me test how "close" it was and that took most the wind out my sails. Glad, though, because this unit may be a better match for me and at a better price, too! I don't need the higher channel counts of the Storm. Plus, after some manual tweaking, I have been enjoying the sound in my room so much that I haven't even set up Dirac on my current NAD.

I have such a simple 2-channel + 3 subs setup that most of this stuff is overkill. There's not really much I want at this point except to get rid of my hissy Crowns because the only complaint I have is noise. I have been trying to find the most "pure" way to have all M2 EQ/x-over done in the digital domain with a single D->A before the power amps, for the least amount of money, and this may fit that bill!
Not sure what amp you have but I just got three M2s with a Crown DCIn 8/600 amp. I had hiss the first couple of days as I was setting everything up but was able to adjust the attenuators on the back of the amp and its all but gone (have to be 1 foot away to hear it...before you could hear it from the seat). Not saying we have the same issue but if you haven't tried that path yet, maybe it will help?
post #17 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Not sure what amp you have but I just got three M2s with a Crown DCIn 8/600 amp. I had hiss the first couple of days as I was setting everything up but was able to adjust the attenuators on the back of the amp and its all but gone (have to be 1 foot away to hear it...before you could hear it from the seat). Not saying we have the same issue but if you haven't tried that path yet, maybe it will help?
I have the iTech 5000s and my sensitivity is set as high as it'll go from the front-panel adjustments -- I believe it's 4v. I have heard it'll go higher in the web interface, but I don't know if I can go much higher than 4v before I have other issues (e.g., clipping my NAD's output stages trying to drive it). I have found the sensitivity adjustment to make a bigger difference than the gains with regard to the noise I get (like a whine / hiss -- it seems self-generated in the amps), but I also have the gains set fairly low and it does help as well. When I was mucking with the gain/sensitivity, I found some "odd" combinations that would make the music sound...unnatural. Hard to describe, but I landed on where I am with a bit of experimentation and trading noise for the peak level I could produce without clipping the outputs -- maybe I could do better if I gave it more time, but I need to work to pay for this hobby instead, lol, so I rather spend the limited time I have enjoying than tweaking.

That said, I can only hear the hiss from my seats if it's late at night (lower noise level in the house) and I am focused on listening -- and only then during quieter content, but, usually that's precisely when I hate it most, so.... Honestly, it's a nit, but it's the only one I have and...I'm dumb / crazy enough to "need" to fix it, lol. Maybe, with further adjustments, I could improve the situation, but...even if I could, I wouldn't hate getting rid of the extra A->D D->A in the Crowns and having more flexibility in choosing my amplification. Especially since I can get something fan-less and put it in-room on an equipment stand, getting rid all the 60 foot speaker and signal cables running from my storage room to the media area of my basement!

Anyway, I'm pretty much just trying to justify an upgrade strictly to improve signal-path "purity", lol. Everything else is just a bonus. But, since my own personal "ideal" signal-path has always had the AVP doing everything (including active x-over) in the digital domain, with one D->A for amplification, I've been looking at ways to get there for a really long time. Unfortunately, for the, arguably, minimal improvement it brings (to all but my mental happiness about the signal-path being "ideal", lol), I felt it to be cost-prohibitive. So, if this unit can get me there without my wallet taking a $15k+ hit, just for the AVP, which is pretty much what it'd take right now, then I'm much more willing to start opening it up, lol.
Frohlich likes this.
post #18 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have been enjoying the sound in my room so much that I haven't even set up Dirac on my current NAD
Which NAD? It looks like their cheapest Dirac AVR is a poorly measuring device, so noise may be originating from there. That could also explain your weird sounds with different gain/sensitivity combinations.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #19 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Which NAD? It looks like their cheapest Dirac AVR is a poorly measuring device, so noise may be originating from there. That could also explain your weird sounds with different gain/sensitivity combinations.
M17V2 -- the noise is not originating there, I can disconnect the XLRs and the noise does not change. Plus the NAD isn't the only pre I've had connected to them and it sounds better than my previous Denon 4311ci + CleanBox.

As for the "weird sounds", I don't know if that's how I'd describe it. It wasn't like there was some crackling or something (I'd attribute that to clipping). It was more like the audio..."pumped". I can't really describe it, but I didn't like it. Full disclosure, though, that happened when I was tweaking the gain/sensitivity to try and remediate (as best as possible) a ground-loop-hum I was getting when running the Denon's single-ended outputs to the Crown via an XLR adapter whilst awaiting the arrival of the CleanBox. So, I probably landed on some odd combinations that may be atypical. Certainly the constant 60hz hum didn't help the situation, so...it's possible it was in my head, lol. But, the "lesson learned" for me was, don't mess with the gain/sensitivity too much. Which, is why I haven't tweaked further than where I landed way back when to further reduce the amp noise, because it may cause other artifacts I don't like.

edit: P.S., I know there's a "proper" way to set gain and sensitivity through measurements. I even have a volt-meter, so I could probably set it up "optimally" if I cared to take the time. It's just "optimal" may leave me with more amplifier noise, and I just don't want to muck with it anymore. Really, I just want the amps gone...they are unnecessarily powerful, noisy in more ways than one, and do more than I want them to (A->D for EQ/x-over). The minute I can get rid of them in a cost-effective way, I will. Until then, I enjoy the hell out of the setup...I'm just under no delusions I can't make it better in this aspect.

That said, before I dump the money, I probably will at least try to further increase the sensitivity and mess with the gain and see what happens. But, I'll probably still prefer having the whole setup in-room with me than running 60' cables just so I don't have to listen to blow-dryers, lol. Heck, maybe I'll even go with some crazy Class A's so I have some heat in the basement, lol! This setup was much more acceptable in my last house -- the amps sat in my basement directly under the speakers, the floor kept the fan-noise out, and I could use much shorter wires punched through the wall. I also sat further from the speakers, so the amps' noise-floor was not even slightly audible. But, now, it doesn't work as well.
natchie likes this.

Last edited by DreamWarrior; 09-12-2019 at 12:49 PM.
post #20 of 141 Old 09-12-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3380
Quote:
edit: P.S., I know there's a "proper" way to set gain and sensitivity through measurements. I even have a volt-meter, so I could probably set it up "optimally" if I cared to take the time. It's just "optimal" may leave me with more amplifier noise, and I just don't want to muck with it anymore. Really, I just want the amps gone...they are unnecessarily powerful, noisy in more ways than one, and do more than I want them to (A->D for EQ/x-over). The minute I can get rid of them in a cost-effective way, I will. Until then, I enjoy the hell out of the setup...I'm just under no delusions I can't make it better in this aspect.

That said, before I dump the money, I probably will at least try to further increase the sensitivity and mess with the gain and see what happens. But, I'll probably still prefer having the whole setup in-room with me than running 60' cables just so I don't have to listen to blow-dryers, lol. Heck, maybe I'll even go with some crazy Class A's so I have some heat in the basement, lol! This setup was much more acceptable in my last house -- the amps sat in my basement directly under the speakers, the floor kept the fan-noise out, and I could use much shorter wires punched through the wall. I also sat further from the speakers, so the amps' noise-floor was not even slightly audible. But, now, it doesn't work as well.
I need to get over your place. I have the tool to quickly and easily set your gains to ensure the whole chain is optimized. Optimal is less amp noise, not more.

I'll PM you to get your new address and let's do it within the next week or so.
Archaea and DreamWarrior like this.
post #21 of 141 Old 09-16-2019, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Looking real good-

zorax2, Frohlich and natchie like this.
post #22 of 141 Old 09-16-2019, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Whats the chance of these having an OSD?
Archaea likes this.
post #23 of 141 Old 09-16-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2017 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:

Not a good sign that he forgot to mention Logic16.

Quote:
Whats the chance of these having an OSD?

I read somewhere that they do.

Noah
post #24 of 141 Old 09-16-2019, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Not a good sign that he forgot to mention Logic16.
There's a Logic16 logo on the faceplate....
post #25 of 141 Old 09-16-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Any mention of DTX Pro?

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - JVC DLA-RS540 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R DIY Fusion 15 Sentinel - Surrounds RSL CG3 - Ceiling Polk RC80i - Dual UM-18s in sealed 4 cu ft with bridged Crown XLS 2002s
post #26 of 141 Old 09-16-2019, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Going back to the M2 hiss issue;

I too intensely disliked the hiss that I heard both with the Crown/JBL SDA-4600 amps and my original BSS/JBL SDEC-3500 processor coupled to a class AB amp.

I tried a BSS Blu-50 and though it didn't hiss as much as the SDEC, I didn't like the sound as much. It seemed a bit more strident to me.

However, I recently got my hands on another BSS unit (SDEC-4500P) and gave it a try. The idle hiss is 5dB lower than my SDEC! I can't hear the hiss further than 1 foot away from the tweeter. I bought my SDEC used and it had been opened. I suspect that my unit is defective and was sold to me for that reason. Nice.

So, these BSS units are an option until the Trinnov and Arcam units have any teething problems resolved.

I do not know if the speaker tunings for the M2 are the same for all processors or whether only the upper end models receive the tunings generated in the anechoic chamber. I'd really like to know the answer to this one.
post #27 of 141 Old 09-16-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 3836 Post(s)
Liked: 4706
This guy is right now at the top of my Dirac Live processors purchase list!!
Spizz likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #28 of 141 Old 09-16-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero View Post

I too intensely disliked the hiss that I heard both with the Crown/JBL SDA-4600 amps and my original BSS/JBL SDEC-3500 processor coupled to a class AB amp.

I tried a BSS Blu-50 and though it didn't hiss as much as the SDEC, I didn't like the sound as much. It seemed a bit more strident to me.

However, I recently got my hands on another BSS unit (SDEC-4500P) and gave it a try.

Do you know what the BLU equivalents are?

I thought the SDEC models were all BLU-160 loaded with different cards.

--
Serious Audio Blog 
post #29 of 141 Old 09-16-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero View Post

However, I recently got my hands on another BSS unit (SDEC-4500P) and gave it a try. The idle hiss is 5dB lower than my SDEC! I can't hear the hiss further than 1 foot away from the tweeter. I bought my SDEC used and it had been opened. I suspect that my unit is defective and was sold to me for that reason. Nice.

So, these BSS units are an option until the Trinnov and Arcam units have any teething problems resolved.

I do not know if the speaker tunings for the M2 are the same for all processors or whether only the upper end models receive the tunings generated in the anechoic chamber. I'd really like to know the answer to this one.
Did you try playing with the attenuators on the back of the amp? When I first set-up my Crown DCI 8/600N there was a pronounced hiss. I played with the attenuators on the back and was able to get rid of 99% of it... I can still hear it from a foot or two out when the room is dead silent and the equipment is on but as soon as I get more than 4 or so feet away, I can't hear at all anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
This guy is right now at the top of my Dirac Live processors purchase list!!
Me too!!!. I was leaning towards the Monolith HTP-1 before this was announced but now I want this processor. I am a JBL/Crown junkie!!!!
enricoclaudio likes this.
post #30 of 141 Old 09-16-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
Sheesh, who would have ever expected this price point? Still a bit too much for me, but will work just fine for many in these parts.

Looks like peasants like me could have something to save up for on the used market.

James

When I first stumbled onto AVS 10 years ago (ish) I had a $1200 budget for a 5.1.

Now I look at this unit and think "6k....thats very reasonable"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page