AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   JBL Synthesis SDR35 Immersive Surround Sound AVR w/16 channels of processing (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3090322-jbl-synthesis-sdr35-immersive-surround-sound-avr-w-16-channels-processing.html)

flax 09-12-2019 06:47 AM

JBL Synthesis SDR35 Immersive Surround Sound AVR w/16 channels of processing

Class G Immersive Surround Sound AVR with 16 channels of native processing, Dolby ATMOS, DTS:X, Auro 3D, IMAX Enhanced, Dirac Live, streaming, and Dante.

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/product...ack-US-Current

hasta666 09-12-2019 07:33 AM

JBL Synthesis SDR35 Immersive Surround Sound AVR w/16 channels of processing

Very nice considering it’s probably based on Arcam hardware. Any idea of the price yet?

Mashie Saldana 09-12-2019 10:32 AM

I wonder if JBL didn't mess things up a little when they released this and the SDA-7120. Both are 7ch which means you can't make a very tidy 9.1.6 setup using only two devices connected with a cat5e cable running Dante between them as it will be one amplifier channel short.

Mashie Saldana 09-12-2019 10:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some nice close up pictures from the JBL website.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1568315854
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1568315854
Interesting to see that they didn't go for balanced outputs.

Also nice to see a second sub output, hopefully it is processed separately from the first output for a true 9.2.6 for Dirac Live

noah katz 09-12-2019 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana (Post 58547730)
Also I'm surprised DTS:X Pro isn't mentioned as it will be in the SP-55 ...

Where do you see that?

All I see is DTS:X3D, which I've never heard of, but maybe they're the same thing.

Mashie Saldana 09-12-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noah katz (Post 58548154)
Where do you see that?

All I see is DTS:X3D, which I've never heard of, but maybe they're the same thing.

You are correct, no idea where I got it from.

madhuski 09-12-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasta666 (Post 58546872)
Very nice considering it’s probably based on Arcam hardware. Any idea of the price yet?

MSRP is $7500

Mashie Saldana 09-12-2019 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhuski (Post 58548610)
MSRP is $7500

Ouch, there's always something getting in my way.

sdurani 09-12-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana (Post 58547730)
Here are some nice close up pictures from the JBL website.

HDMI jacks look upside down compared to how I've usually seen them.

Mashie Saldana 09-13-2019 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdurani (Post 58549420)
HDMI jacks look upside down compared to how I've usually seen them.

Well spotted, maybe that one is for the Australian market. :D

So what are class G amp's and why do we want them over say class D?

snickers01 09-13-2019 04:35 AM

Isn't G only Class A/B with a changeable rail voltage to improve the energy efficiency of the A/B a bit?
I don't think it's class D.

sdurani 09-13-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snickers01 (Post 58551020)
Isn't G only Class A/B with a changeable rail voltage to improve the energy efficiency of the A/B a bit?

Exactly.
Quote:

I don't think it's class D.
Right, class D converts the signal to pulse width modulation (like the way audio is carried on FM radio).

hasta666 09-13-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana (Post 58547724)
I wonder if JBL didn't mess things up a little when they released this and the SDA-7120. Both are 7ch which means you can't make a very tidy 9.1.6 setup using only two devices connected with a cat5e cable running Dante between them as it will be one amplifier channel short.

I think you will be fine. There are two Dante network ports on the receiver allowing to connect to both the 7 channel and 2 channel power amps.

Mashie Saldana 09-14-2019 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasta666 (Post 58555156)
I think you will be fine. There are two Dante network ports on the receiver allowing to connect to both the 7 channel and 2 channel power amps.

The thing with Dante is that it isn't a 1:1 ratio between port's like in the analog nor HDMI world. Just connect a network switch in between and you can run 15 Dante mono blocks or 15 Dante active speakers if you so wish.

My complaint was that it had been nice if you could drive all 15 speakers using only two devices and just a tiny ethernet cable between them.

duckymomo 09-14-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana (Post 58555452)
The thing with Dante is that it isn't a 1:1 ratio between port's like in the analog nor HDMI world. Just connect a network switch in between and you can run 15 Dante mono blocks or 15 Dante active speakers if you so wish.

That's pretty cool! This is kind of a milestone bringing it to a mid-level SSP. Hopefully others follow suit.

mmiles 09-14-2019 04:39 PM

It is an ARCAM AVR30 with Logic16 and Dante.

MSRP $7,500

Snowmanick 09-14-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmiles (Post 58558436)
It is an ARCAM AVR30 with Logic16 and Dante.

MSRP $7,500

Logic16, Dante, and Auromatic, as well as a much better looking case. I don’t know if Arcam has the Harman curve available or if either have the speaker profiles for Harman speakers like the SDP-75. Anyway, I doubt people buying Synthesis systems care about a $1,500 price delta considering the added features.

mmiles 09-14-2019 06:11 PM

Harman rep said the SDP55 will not have the speaker curves.

normandia 09-15-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmiles (Post 58558708)

Oh well...that would've been a winner.

mmiles 09-15-2019 01:36 PM

I can speak to an associate that is a dealer to confirm.

mmiles 09-15-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowmanick (Post 58558602)
Logic16, Dante, and Auromatic, as well as a much better looking case. I don’t know if Arcam has the Harman curve available or if either have the speaker profiles for Harman speakers like the SDP-75. Anyway, I doubt people buying Synthesis systems care about a $1,500 price delta considering the added features.

Was not aware it included Auro

Spizz 09-16-2019 01:00 AM

Yep and MQA and Roon-

Hoping it has an OSD.

SteveH 09-16-2019 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmiles (Post 58558708)

Did Nick confirm that? In passing, my regional said the Harman curves were able to be uploaded. IMO, it would be a faux pas if they didn't. I don't see any technical reasons why they couldn't .:confused:

SteveH 09-16-2019 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowmanick (Post 58558602)

As I mentioned on a different post, the Synthesis line will have better caliber DAC's over the Arcam series and they will include the $399 Dirac Live Bass Management option. With the Arcam prepro or receiver, you need to pay the additional $399 if you want that feature.

So the feature differences will be: Logic16, Dente, Auromatic, different case (the Arcam does look nice in person), better DAC's, and included Dirac Live Bass Management. If it's about the $$'s, then a consumer should save evven more and buy the Arcam Class AB version, non-toroidal for even less $$'s. That's not slumming it

Edit: Removed "2 subs" statement.

DS-21 09-16-2019 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 58563820)
As I mentioned on a different post, the Synthesis line will have better caliber DAC's over the Arcam series and they will include the $399 2-sub Dirac Live Bass Management. With the Arcam prepro or receiver, you need to pay the additional $399 if you want that feature.

That’s breaking news - Dirac BM as implemented here is limited to 2 subs?

According to Dirac’s press release “tier 1” is “any number of subs” and “tier 2” is one sub.

If true, that takes a little shine off all of this year’s releases.

mmiles 09-16-2019 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 58563804)
Did Nick confirm that? In passing, my regional said the Harman curves were able to be uploaded. IMO, it would be a faux pas if they didn't. I don't see any technical reasons why they couldn't .:confused:

I did not see Nick (Nick Clarke i'm guessing). I spoke to a gentleman from Arcam, last name Todd IIRC and Patrick Gaffney from HARMAN.

Again this is booth discussion no serious one on one sit downs. Note I am not a Harman dealer so I think the best thing is get these statements confirmed when everyone returns and the dust settles from CEDIA perhaps in a few days.

SteveH 09-16-2019 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DS-21 (Post 58563826)
That’s breaking news - Dirac BM as implemented here is limited to 2 subs?

According to Dirac’s press release “tier 1” is “any number of subs” and “tier 2” is one sub.

If true, that takes a little shine off all of this year’s releases.

I misspoke. :o My only point was that the $399 tier is included on the Synthesis piece. I honestly haven't followed the Dirac news (and nomenclature) much until it turns from vaporware into product. Then we can judge accordingly if the $399 option is worth it (my contacts I know who have heard it say it is).

hasta666 09-16-2019 09:14 AM

What does Logic16 brings to the table in comparison of DSU or Neural:X? Heard that DSU has some limitations regarding the use of height channels.

SteveH 09-16-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasta666 (Post 58564952)
What does Logic16 brings to the table in comparison of DSU or Neural:X? Heard that DSU has some limitations regarding the use of height channels.

I have a bunch of questions that are building up in my mind. I've spent many hours with Nick Clarke (Director of Engineering at Arcam) while at Harman training. He is a no-nonsense, pleasant guy who has taught me a lot and doesn't pull any punches. Additionally, he an expert at setting up rooms. Anyways, I'll reach out and ask him some questions. I'll wait till he gets back to the other side of the pond and he has some time to catch his breath. But I'll post what he says including your question which is one I forgot to ask at the show.

I must admit, I am cautiously optimistic about this new platform. I know a lot of people don't drink the audiophile Kool Aid I'm about to speak. But I've verified sonic difference with in the blind between A and B products when comparing them in a controlled environment (ABX box). Albeit nuisances that my wife doesn't care about. That all said, my ears along with several GTG comparisons preferred the AV8805 over the current generation Arcam/Lexicon strictly in stereo and without roomEQ (autoEQ is arguably much more important). i.e. we compared the preamp section.

I was told by a few people at the show who were involved in the development that the new Arcam/JBL platform that it "does sound better" (while others said they don't know). If it does, I want one for myself as the exceptionally sounding Arcam/Lexicon IMO wasn't as polished and the 8805. The Arcam (no EQ) sounded slightly "flat" in comparison. Whenever this platform ships, we will most definitely have a get together to compare these platforms again and post our results accordingly.

DS-21 09-16-2019 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasta666 (Post 58564952)

DSU and Neural:X are horrible to the point of unusable at believably upmixing 2ch music. Dolby Pro Logic II was not perfect but far better at expanding the acoustic scene with minimal artifacts on most music. But those two proved so bad that I decided not to bother with the top layer. However, Auromatic does a pretty good job when dialed in.

Logic7 had a very good reputation as a music upmixer. The hope is Logic16 vaults to the top of the class. It is, however, entirely speculation. I suspect nobody who’s not under an NDA has heard it.