The *Official* Emotiva XMC-2 owners thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 229Likes

post #421 of 473 Old 06-19-2020, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post
Guess "months of careful clean-up effort and a significant rewrite of the entire operating system" didn't help with that.
Pretty critical coming from an NAD T758 owner. I read these threads to learn about a product I may be interested in, I rarely post on something I don't own. You have added zero value to this thread.
drh3b likes this.

Denon AVR-X4700 / Parasound Halo A52+ / 2-Emotiva BasX A-150s for Atmos / Infinity Aircom S10 / Audiolab 6000N via PBJ / Sony UBP-X700 / Apple TV 4K / Polk Audio LSiM707 - LSiM706c - LSiM703 & 4 700-LS ceiling / Subs TBD / TV TBD (P85QX-H1?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 473 Old 06-20-2020, 01:48 PM

Aside from my admittedly snippy post above, I am new to this thread and Emotiva processors in general.

I am considering a XMC-2 purchase by Monday so I can save on the amp too.

Am I correct in saying the newest firmware update has helped significantly the with the performance and user experience of the XMC-2? I realize new unites aren't shipping with Dirac yet (which is pretty disappointing, more so for you early adopters), but otherwise is this a happy place?

I'm running a 5.2.4 system and I don't game so I think I am free of the DTS X and no HDMI 2.1 issues.

What else? The measurements on ASR with the previous firmware update were impressive and while I don't mind dedicating some time and effort to set up and tweaks, when I want to sit down and watch a movie or listen to music, I want to do just that. Not power cycle, unplug components, etc. I loved through the NAD T758 V3 days and have set up my Arcam AVR850 so I am not a complete neophyte.

But I must admit, when I set up my friends Marantz receiver it was pretty intuitive and seems to continue to work pretty effortlessly.

Thanks for humoring me. I am willing to spend the money and put in my time for superior sound, if it works......

Denon AVR-X4700 / Parasound Halo A52+ / 2-Emotiva BasX A-150s for Atmos / Infinity Aircom S10 / Audiolab 6000N via PBJ / Sony UBP-X700 / Apple TV 4K / Polk Audio LSiM707 - LSiM706c - LSiM703 & 4 700-LS ceiling / Subs TBD / TV TBD (P85QX-H1?)
post #423 of 473 Old 06-20-2020, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tparm View Post
Aside from my admittedly snippy post above, I am new to this thread and Emotiva processors in general.

I am considering a XMC-2 purchase by Monday so I can save on the amp too.

Am I correct in saying the newest firmware update has helped significantly the with the performance and user experience of the XMC-2? I realize new unites aren't shipping with Dirac yet (which is pretty disappointing, more so for you early adopters), but otherwise is this a happy place?

I'm running a 5.2.4 system and I don't game so I think I am free of the DTS X and no HDMI 2.1 issues.

What else? The measurements on ASR with the previous firmware update were impressive and while I don't mind dedicating some time and effort to set up and tweaks, when I want to sit down and watch a movie or listen to music, I want to do just that. Not power cycle, unplug components, etc. I loved through the NAD T758 V3 days and have set up my Arcam AVR850 so I am not a complete neophyte.

But I must admit, when I set up my friends Marantz receiver it was pretty intuitive and seems to continue to work pretty effortlessly.

Thanks for humoring me. I am willing to spend the money and put in my time for superior sound, if it works......
I’ve had mine maybe 3 of 4 weeks now. It’s tough to really recommend or not recommend but I can throw out a few thoughts. First, coming from a Marantz it’s a totally different animal. It’s slow, it’s not intuitive, and much more glitchy than I’d like. Changing inputs is annoying and have to switch a few times to get it to sync. Certain things don’t work right or don’t work at all. That’s the Main thing that makes me want to give it back. The sound is really great though for two channel and all Dolby surround formats. So that’s the main selling point And what keeps me on the fence. I find dts not as good as the marantz, and have very little faith in it being worked on based on a conversation I had with emotiva. So that also has me considering sending it back. Obviously gotta wait and see what Dirac is all about, but for the most part it works “good enough” And sounds great. It’s not glitchy to the point of total frustration and I can imagine many people would be satisfied. Also, I have very little experience with any customer service as most things I’ve owned seem to work, but I’m not impressed with my two interactions with emotiva customer service. One email, one phone call, and both were disappointing.

| Emotiva XMC-2 | Monoprice Monolith 7X | Outlaw 5000 | Arendal 1723S Towers-Center-Surrounds-Monitors | Klipsch CDT 5650 (2) | Polk V60 (2) | Klipsch SPL-120 (2) | HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | MiniDSP 2x4 HD | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Furman Elite 15 DMi | Panamax mr4300 | Eaton 5PX 1500 | JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16:9 | Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450 | Logitech Harmony Hub |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 473 Old 06-20-2020, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I have read about the differences between the RMC1L and XMC-2 and the major difference is that the RMC1L has 2 different OLED displays on the front with a joystick vs a single non joystick OLED screen in the XMC-2. The other major difference is that the RMC1L has 16 individual fully mono mode DACs versus the XMC-2 having 3 individual mono DACs on the LCR channels and then the other DACs in stereo mode.

My question is for movies ONLY how will the individual mono DACs compare on the RMC1L vs just the front 3 channels having the mono DACs on the XMC-2? Is it worth the $1000 price difference for this feature? I'm not too familiar with mono vs stereo. I just know that some Blurays I own, have a DTS 2.0 MONO track vs like a 7.1 DTS MA I'm assuming stereo track?

I realize the mono DACs on the RMC1L are like supercharged and sound better than stereo DACs but will I notice this improvement on movies particularly?

Has the recent update fixed the XMC-2 where every time you push a button on the remote the processor says PLEASE WAIT? That was annoying when I had possession of an RMC1 on an older firmware. It literally felt like using an Apple computer for the first time back in the day! Like painfully slow and then PLEASE WAIT every menu and button press on the RMC1.

Also, just to confirm the XMC-2 has independent circuitry for their subwoofer XLR outputs, right? I am coming from an Anthem AVM60 that had parallel subwoofer outs which was a pain to calibrate and also a Marantz 7705 with individual subwoofer outputs that was a breeze to calibrate.

Finally, how hard is it to calibrate (room correction)these units using something like REW? Does REW have a calibration profile for the Emotiva dirac mic and will I need a mini dsp to calibrate? I am a big fan of Anthem's ARC and also Audyssey and would love to calibrate the XMC-2 with REW while waiting on Dirac to release.

Thanks for any insight on this and sorry for all of the questions! I am really considering going with an XMC-2.
post #425 of 473 Old 06-20-2020, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwander View Post
I’ve had mine maybe 3 of 4 weeks now. It’s tough to really recommend or not recommend but I can throw out a few thoughts. First, coming from a Marantz it’s a totally different animal. It’s slow, it’s not intuitive, and much more glitchy than I’d like. Changing inputs is annoying and have to switch a few times to get it to sync. Certain things don’t work right or don’t work at all. That’s the Main thing that makes me want to give it back. The sound is really great though for two channel and all Dolby surround formats. So that’s the main selling point And what keeps me on the fence. I find dts not as good as the marantz, and have very little faith in it being worked on based on a conversation I had with emotiva. So that also has me considering sending it back. Obviously gotta wait and see what Dirac is all about, but for the most part it works “good enough” And sounds great. It’s not glitchy to the point of total frustration and I can imagine many people would be satisfied.
Hi, thanks for your post. What Marantz were you coming from? Can you expand on that DTS sounds better on the marrantz? I figured it would be the other way around and the XMC-2 would sound better over a Marantz. Most Blurays and 4Ks use DTS MA so this is concerning. Are you playing Blurays with DTS MA orginal audio or using an upmixer as well like Neural X? What was your conversation like with Emotiva about DTS? Finally, when you say it is really slow compared to the Marantz, is that with the XMC-2 on the latest firmware and does it constantly say PLEASE WAIT every time you hit a button or try to change anything?

Thanks for your thoughts. I am considering changing from an awesome Marantz 7705 to an XMC-2. I loved my Anthem AVM60 but it had parallel circuits for subwoofer outputs (basically like a Y connector to split the signal) and both of my AVM60s had defective LCD screens so I went to the Marantz 7705 and have been happy but Emotiva is supposed to be more of a warm, organic sound so I'm considering the XMC-2. Thanks for any insight!
post #426 of 473 Old 06-20-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
Quote:
I’️ve had mine maybe 3 of 4 weeks now. It’️s tough to really recommend or not recommend but I can throw out a few thoughts. First, coming from a Marantz it’️s a totally different animal. It’️s slow, it’️s not intuitive, and much more glitchy than I’️d like. Changing inputs is annoying and have to switch a few times to get it to sync. Certain things don’️t work right or don’️t work at all. That’️s the Main thing that makes me want to give it back. The sound is really great though for two channel and all Dolby surround formats. So that’️s the main selling point And what keeps me on the fence. I find dts not as good as the marantz, and have very little faith in it being worked on based on a conversation I had with emotiva. So that also has me considering sending it back. Obviously gotta wait and see what Dirac is all about, but for the most part it works “good enough” And sounds great. It’️s not glitchy to the point of total frustration and I can imagine many people would be satisfied.
Hi, thanks for your post. What Marantz were you coming from? Can you expand on that DTS sounds better on the marrantz? I figured it would be the other way around and the XMC-2 would sound better over a Marantz. Most Blurays and 4Ks use DTS MA so this is concerning. Are you playing Blurays with DTS MA orginal audio or using an upmixer as well like Neural X? What was your conversation like with Emotiva about DTS? Finally, when you say it is really slow compared to the Marantz, is that with the XMC-2 on the latest firmware and does it constantly say PLEASE WAIT every time you hit a button or try to change anything?

Thanks for your thoughts. I am considering changing from an awesome Marantz 7705 to an XMC-2. I loved my Anthem AVM60 but it had parallel circuits for subwoofer outputs (basically like a Y connector to split the signal) and both of my AVM60s had defective LCD screens so I went to the Marantz 7705 and have been happy but Emotiva is supposed to be more of a warm, organic sound so I'm considering the XMC-2. Thanks for any insight!
I came from a 7011. It’s not that much slower and I understand it was much worse. I’ve gotten used to it for the most part. Sometimes it lags more than others but not enough to be a big deal. To get it to sync with my projector 100% of the time I have to leave it set to shutdown instead of standby. So it takes a good minute or more to boot up. The marantz fires right up. Also, the marantz I could set to turn on to a specific input and the emotiva is suppose to be able to do that but can’t. So you just have to know going in that it’s not going to be as rock solid as marantz.

I always used neural x with the marantz. And I loved it. Something is off with neural x with my emotiva. Enough people have reported it to be concerned. Most people say that if they play it in 5.1 or 7.1 instead of upmixed that it sounds fine. I think it’s ok for the most part but imo the marantz was better in all DTS formats. Can’t put my finger on it exactly but it’s noticeably not as good as Dolby. Skyfall and the dark knight were go to demos for me so I’ve played them a ton and it doesn’t play as well I remember.

Some people have no issue though so I can’t say it’s a definite problem.

But the Dolby blows me away. I’m very curious what Dirac is all about and what it will sound like so that could be the deciding factor for me. No idea when it’s coming so I’m ok in the meantime and I’m happy with the extra time to help make my decision.

| Emotiva XMC-2 | Monoprice Monolith 7X | Outlaw 5000 | Arendal 1723S Towers-Center-Surrounds-Monitors | Klipsch CDT 5650 (2) | Polk V60 (2) | Klipsch SPL-120 (2) | HSU VTF3 MK5 (2) | MiniDSP 2x4 HD | Crown XLS 1002 | Buttkicker LFE Mini (4) | Furman Elite 15 DMi | Panamax mr4300 | Eaton 5PX 1500 | JVC RS1000 | Silver Ticket 120” 16:9 | Panasonic UB820 | Apple TV 4K | URC MX 450 | Logitech Harmony Hub |
post #427 of 473 Old 06-20-2020, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I came from a 7011. It’s not that much slower and I understand it was much worse. I’ve gotten used to it for the most part. Sometimes it lags more than others but not enough to be a big deal. To get it to sync with my projector 100% of the time I have to leave it set to shutdown instead of standby. So it takes a good minute or more to boot up. The marantz fires right up. Also, the marantz I could set to turn on to a specific input and the emotiva is suppose to be able to do that but can’t. So you just have to know going in that it’s not going to be as rock solid as marantz.

I always used neural x with the marantz. And I loved it. Something is off with neural x with my emotiva. Enough people have reported it to be concerned. Most people say that if they play it in 5.1 or 7.1 instead of upmixed that it sounds fine. I think it’s ok for the most part but imo the marantz was better in all DTS formats. Can’t put my finger on it exactly but it’s noticeably not as good as Dolby. Skyfall and the dark knight were go to demos for me so I’ve played them a ton and it doesn’t play as well I remember.

Some people have no issue though so I can’t say it’s a definite problem.

But the Dolby blows me away. I’m very curious what Dirac is all about and what it will sound like so that could be the deciding factor for me. No idea when it’s coming so I’m ok in the meantime and I’m happy with the extra time to help make my decision.
I definitely understand where you're coming from with how slow it is compared to the Marantz (I tested an RMC1L on the old firmware). Does it still say please wait every time you hit a button though? That really annoyed me about the RMC1L that I played with for a bit. Maybe a firmware update or Dirac implementation will fix your issue with the DTS since Dolby sounds amazing. I never use upscalers and always try to watch movies in their native sound formats (so if it is 2.0 DTS MA, then I will watch it in stereo mode instead of upscaling to 5.1 since it sounds too artificial to me). Any idea on the other questions I asked a couple posts back about the difference between mono on the front 3 channels and then stereo for the remaining DACs versus the RMC1 having all channels being mono? This is the main thing holding my decision back because I mainly watch movies and I dont want that to be a huge difference in sound quality for the movies. Also, do I need a mini dsp for calibrating the system with REW and does it have the right calibration file for the XMC-2 (filters I believe?). I just want to make sure I can apply room correction prior to Dirac coming since it seems like it could still be a bit. I love audyssey and Anthem's ARC for my room so I definitely need to calibrate with something like REW in the meantime but do not have any experience with it. I will go with either the XMC-2 or RMC1L because I am all about sound quality so that more important than quirks and small bugs here and there that I'm sure Emotiva will improve over time. Any thoughts are appreciated overall. Thanks!
post #428 of 473 Old 06-20-2020, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
The measurements on ASR with the previous firmware update were impressive
ASR tested the RMC-1, don't assume that the XMC-2 performs equally well. It very well may, but who knows what horrors it hides until ASR's reviews it.
post #429 of 473 Old 06-20-2020, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
I have read about the differences between the RMC1L and XMC-2 and the major difference is that the RMC1L has 2 different OLED displays on the front with a joystick vs a single non joystick OLED screen in the XMC-2. The other major difference is that the RMC1L has 16 individual fully mono mode DACs versus the XMC-2 having 3 individual mono DACs on the LCR channels and then the other DACs in stereo mode.

My question is for movies ONLY how will the individual mono DACs compare on the RMC1L vs just the front 3 channels having the mono DACs on the XMC-2? Is it worth the $1000 price difference for this feature? I'm not too familiar with mono vs stereo. I just know that some Blurays I own, have a DTS 2.0 MONO track vs like a 7.1 DTS MA I'm assuming stereo track?

I realize the mono DACs on the RMC1L are like supercharged and sound better than stereo DACs but will I notice this improvement on movies particularly?

Has the recent update fixed the XMC-2 where every time you push a button on the remote the processor says PLEASE WAIT? That was annoying when I had possession of an RMC1 on an older firmware. It literally felt like using an Apple computer for the first time back in the day! Like painfully slow and then PLEASE WAIT every menu and button press on the RMC1.

Also, just to confirm the XMC-2 has independent circuitry for their subwoofer XLR outputs, right? I am coming from an Anthem AVM60 that had parallel subwoofer outs which was a pain to calibrate and also a Marantz 7705 with individual subwoofer outputs that was a breeze to calibrate.

Finally, how hard is it to calibrate (room correction)these units using something like REW? Does REW have a calibration profile for the Emotiva dirac mic and will I need a mini dsp to calibrate? I am a big fan of Anthem's ARC and also Audyssey and would love to calibrate the XMC-2 with REW while waiting on Dirac to release.

Thanks for any insight on this and sorry for all of the questions! I am really considering going with an XMC-2.
I also wish I had the opportunity to test the RMC1L vs XMC2 for movies. I have the XMC2 and it sounds phenomenal for movies but that’s not to say the RMC1L may sound even better. Perhaps calling Emotiva and asking them may help. I don’t think anyone has had a chance to do a comparison test.

Mono mode just means that the DACs which are stereo and normally services 2 channels are bridged and service only 1 channel which improves performance. It has nothing to do with mono or stereo sound. The key to movies is the quality of the center channel and the fact that the XMC2’s center is as good as the L/R means the XMC2 has excellent movie sound quality.

The please wait is gone and the performance and usability has greatly improved.

The are 3 sub outs. I only have 2 subs and Dirac recognizes them as individual subs during calibration. So room correction with REW is very easy and will be also easy with Dirac when it’s released.

Last edited by Lsdec2; 06-20-2020 at 11:12 PM.
post #430 of 473 Old 06-21-2020, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I definitely understand where you're coming from with how slow it is compared to the Marantz (I tested an RMC1L on the old firmware). Does it still say please wait every time you hit a button though? That really annoyed me about the RMC1L that I played with for a bit. Maybe a firmware update or Dirac implementation will fix your issue with the DTS since Dolby sounds amazing. I never use upscalers and always try to watch movies in their native sound formats (so if it is 2.0 DTS MA, then I will watch it in stereo mode instead of upscaling to 5.1 since it sounds too artificial to me). Any idea on the other questions I asked a couple posts back about the difference between mono on the front 3 channels and then stereo for the remaining DACs versus the RMC1 having all channels being mono? This is the main thing holding my decision back because I mainly watch movies and I dont want that to be a huge difference in sound quality for the movies. Also, do I need a mini dsp for calibrating the system with REW and does it have the right calibration file for the XMC-2 (filters I believe?). I just want to make sure I can apply room correction prior to Dirac coming since it seems like it could still be a bit. I love audyssey and Anthem's ARC for my room so I definitely need to calibrate with something like REW in the meantime but do not have any experience with it. I will go with either the XMC-2 or RMC1L because I am all about sound quality so that more important than quirks and small bugs here and there that I'm sure Emotiva will improve over time. Any thoughts are appreciated overall. Thanks!
I don’t think it’s ever said please wait. It’s just a second or two slower except for the times it really lags or freezes but that’s not that often. And I can’t really speak to any differences between the two processors.

You can calibrate the system with a umik-1 and REW, you don’t need a minidsp box or anything. It’s not really hard to do. Only issue I’ve come across is the center sub filters not uploading. There may be a work around for that though. I remember seeing something in one of the forums.

post #431 of 473 Old 06-21-2020, 02:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
I don’t think it’s ever said please wait. It’s just a second or two slower except for the times it really lags or freezes but that’s not that often. And I can’t really speak to any differences between the two processors.

You can calibrate the system with a umik-1 and REW, you don’t need a minidsp box or anything. It’s not really hard to do. Only issue I’ve come across is the center sub filters not uploading. There may be a work around for that though. I remember seeing something in one of the forums.

Oh it did say “please wait” and often. Recent firmware upgrades has reduced it significantly, but occasionally it reverts to type.

Filters won’t stick until you navigate to whatever preset you weren’t using and going back to the one you set the filter on. Changing filters on preset 1, back out go into preset 2 immediately back out and go back to preset 1. Filters should now have stuck. Cludgy but works. I’m sure they will be looking at a more elegant solution to be included in future firmware upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #432 of 473 Old 06-21-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post
Quote:
I don’️t think it’️s ever said please wait. It’️s just a second or two slower except for the times it really lags or freezes but that’️s not that often. And I can’️t really speak to any differences between the two processors.

You can calibrate the system with a umik-1 and REW, you don’️t need a minidsp box or anything. It’️s not really hard to do. Only issue I’️ve come across is the center sub filters not uploading. There may be a work around for that though. I remember seeing something in one of the forums.

Oh it did say “please wait” and often. Recent firmware upgrades has reduced it significantly, but occasionally it reverts to type.

Filters won’️t stick until you navigate to whatever preset you weren’️t using and going back to the one you set the filter on. Changing filters on preset 1, back out go into preset 2 immediately back out and go back to preset 1. Filters should now have stuck. Cludgy but works. I’️m sure they will be looking at a more elegant solution to be included in future firmware upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did try that the other day and it didn’t work. I’m going to try it again in case I didn’t do something correctly. I have no issue with the other filters loading though. Every other channel uploaded fine without having to back out to preset 2. It’s not a huge deal bc I have the minidsp for all the subs and I could probably get the results I’m looking for by playing with that some more. Just being lazy, and hoping Dirac will come out and help flatten the curve a little bit. But I will try the preset 2 thing again and see if I can get it to upload

post #433 of 473 Old 06-21-2020, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsdec2 View Post
I also wish I had the opportunity to test the RMC1L vs XMC2 for movies. I have the XMC2 and it sounds phenomenal for movies but that’s not to say the RMC1L may sound even better. Perhaps calling Emotiva and asking them may help. I don’t think anyone has had a chance to do a comparison test.

Mono mode just means that the DACs which are stereo and normally services 2 channels are bridged and service only 1 channel which improves performance. It has nothing to do with mono or stereo sound. The key to movies is the quality of the center channel and the fact that the XMC2’s center is as good as the L/R means the XMC2 has excellent movie sound quality.

The are 3 sub outs. I only have 2 subs and Dirac recognizes them as individual subs during calibration. So room correction with REW is very easy and will be also easy with Dirac when it’s released.
Thanks so much for your reply! I am glad to hear that the please wait is gone because that was very irritating to see pop up with every button press on the remote!

I am definitely with you on the fact that the center channel and really the front 3 channels in general are the most important for movie watching which is why I am leaning towards the XMC-2 which is $1k less than the RMC1L. The only feature I would be missing out on is the mono part of the DACs for the other channels. So does the XMC-2 not having individual AKM4490 DACs for each channel then?

When you calibrated with REW, how difficult was it to do? Did you use the mic that Emotiva sends or did you have to buy a UMK1 and/or a minidsp to calibrate the system? I have 2 subs as well so isn't a minidsp needed to dial them in via REW? Is there a tutorial for REW with the XMC-2? I am only familiar with Anthem's ARC and Audyssey which are both straight forward. Thanks for any info! I'm definitely leaning towards the XMC-2 since I am on a budget and it would only put me around $600 more than the Marantz 7705 processor I currently have.

Quote:

I'm really glad to hear about you not noticing the please wait when using the processor. When I used an RMC1L it literally told me to please wait every time I pressed a button on the remote or tried to change any setting on the unit.

So can you not use the microphone that Emotiva supplies to use with REW? I know on Anthem's ARC you could also use their mic with REW but I never had the need to try it. Do you have dual subs? I want to say that a minidsp is usually recommended when having dual subs but I have only read about REW and never been hands on with it. Was there a tutorial you followed to calibrate the XMC-2 with REW? I definitely need room correction in my room and it would hold me over until Dirac is finally released for the XMC-2.

Finally, how bright is the OLED screen and particularly the power on button on the XMC-2? I currently have the Marantz 7705 and it lets you dim the LCD screen but NOT the power on ring light and it is VERY bright and distracting while watching movies since it sits on my stand under the OLED TV.

Thanks again for the help!
post #434 of 473 Old 06-21-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I also wish I had the opportunity to test the RMC1L vs XMC2 for movies. I have the XMC2 and it sounds phenomenal for movies but that’️s not to say the RMC1L may sound even better. Perhaps calling Emotiva and asking them may help. I don’️t think anyone has had a chance to do a comparison test.

Mono mode just means that the DACs which are stereo and normally services 2 channels are bridged and service only 1 channel which improves performance. It has nothing to do with mono or stereo sound. The key to movies is the quality of the center channel and the fact that the XMC2’️s center is as good as the L/R means the XMC2 has excellent movie sound quality.

The are 3 sub outs. I only have 2 subs and Dirac recognizes them as individual subs during calibration. So room correction with REW is very easy and will be also easy with Dirac when it’️s released.
Thanks so much for your reply! I am glad to hear that the please wait is gone because that was very irritating to see pop up with every button press on the remote!

I am definitely with you on the fact that the center channel and really the front 3 channels in general are the most important for movie watching which is why I am leaning towards the XMC-2 which is $1k less than the RMC1L. The only feature I would be missing out on is the mono part of the DACs for the other channels. So does the XMC-2 not having individual AKM4490 DACs for each channel then?

When you calibrated with REW, how difficult was it to do? Did you use the mic that Emotiva sends or did you have to buy a UMK1 and/or a minidsp to calibrate the system? I have 2 subs as well so isn't a minidsp needed to dial them in via REW? Is there a tutorial for REW with the XMC-2? I am only familiar with Anthem's ARC and Audyssey which are both straight forward. Thanks for any info! I'm definitely leaning towards the XMC-2 since I am on a budget and it would only put me around $600 more than the Marantz 7705 processor I currently have.

Quote:
I don’️t think it’️s ever said please wait. It’️s just a second or two slower except for the times it really lags or freezes but that’️s not that often. And I can’️t really speak to any differences between the two processors.

You can calibrate the system with a umik-1 and REW, you don’️t need a minidsp box or anything. It’️s not really hard to do. Only issue I’️ve come across is the center sub filters not uploading. There may be a work around for that though. I remember seeing something in one of the forums.
I'm really glad to hear about you not noticing the please wait when using the processor. When I used an RMC1L it literally told me to please wait every time I pressed a button on the remote or tried to change any setting on the unit.

So can you not use the microphone that Emotiva supplies to use with REW? I know on Anthem's ARC you could also use their mic with REW but I never had the need to try it. Do you have dual subs? I want to say that a minidsp is usually recommended when having dual subs but I have only read about REW and never been hands on with it. Was there a tutorial you followed to calibrate the XMC-2 with REW? I definitely need room correction in my room and it would hold me over until Dirac is finally released for the XMC-2.

Finally, how bright is the OLED screen and particularly the power on button on the XMC-2? I currently have the Marantz 7705 and it lets you dim the LCD screen but NOT the power on ring light and it is VERY bright and distracting while watching movies since it sits on my stand under the OLED TV.

Thanks again for the help!
I’ve practiced with REW now for maybe a little less than a year. First learning how to set it up and take measurements and then learning how to use measurements to align subs. Definitely a learning curve but not too difficult. The AustinJerry guide in the “simplified REW.... Thread” was a good help to get me started. Also great place to post questions. But then on YouTube the Home Theater Guru did a video with a different method for subs that I found worked better for me. The emotiva filters is really my first foray into full range measurements and full range speaker correction so I’m not confident that I’ve got it the best it can be. Part of the fun and learning though. I believe the emotiva mic can be used but I’ve read the umik is more accurate for both REW and Dirac, however assuming the emotiva mic works Its probably more than adequate to get started and learn with.

I had an open tv stand with my marantz and rest of my gear and all the lights distracted me. I actually built doors and side panels on it to cover it up. But eventually I moved to a different solution with the gear in an adjacent area. I think you can dim the front but I don’t know if you can dim it all or not. Someone else is probably better to answer that.

post #435 of 473 Old 06-21-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Correct outside of the front 3 there is one DAC for every 2 channels. So in the RMC1L there are 16 DACs one for each channel in mono mode. In the XMC2 there are 10 DACs, front 3 and center sub have their own DAC and then the other 12 channels have 6 DACs - each DAC services 2 channels, hence stereo mode.

Using REW is pretty easy. I did use the Emotiva mic with the calibration file. You can save the filters and import them with a little massaging of the Import data files. And when Dirac gets thru beta testing, then you don’t have to worry about REW anymore.
post #436 of 473 Old 06-21-2020, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’ve practiced with REW now for maybe a little less than a year. First learning how to set it up and take measurements and then learning how to use measurements to align subs. Definitely a learning curve but not too difficult. The AustinJerry guide in the “simplified REW.... Thread” was a good help to get me started. Also great place to post questions. But then on YouTube the Home Theater Guru did a video with a different method for subs that I found worked better for me. The emotiva filters is really my first foray into full range measurements and full range speaker correction so I’m not confident that I’ve got it the best it can be. Part of the fun and learning though. I believe the emotiva mic can be used but I’ve read the umik is more accurate for both REW and Dirac, however assuming the emotiva mic works Its probably more than adequate to get started and learn with.

I had an open tv stand with my marantz and rest of my gear and all the lights distracted me. I actually built doors and side panels on it to cover it up. But eventually I moved to a different solution with the gear in an adjacent area. I think you can dim the front but I don’t know if you can dim it all or not. Someone else is probably better to answer that.
Thanks for explaining this in detail for me! In order to apply the filters to the XMC-2 will I need the mini dsp for the speakers and dual subwoofers ? I'm assuming REW is really the only way to get the XMC-2 sounding good while we wait for Dirac.

Quote:
Correct outside of the front 3 there is one DAC for every 2 channels. So in the RMC1L there are 16 DACs one for each channel in mono mode. In the XMC2 there are 10 DACs, front 3 and center sub have their own DAC and then the other 12 channels have 6 DACs - each DAC services 2 channels, hence stereo mode.

Using REW is pretty easy. I did use the Emotiva mic with the calibration file. You can save the filters and import them with a little massaging of the Import data files. And when Dirac gets thru beta testing, then you don’t have to worry about REW anymore.
Thanks for going in depth about the differences in the DACs! I just really knew if it makes that big of difference with the individual mono DACs versus the mainly stereo ones in the XMC-2. I'm assuming not too big of deal since the center channel, right and left speaker and the subs do most of the work during movies. The ones for the subs are stereo or mono individual DACs? I know the XMC-2 has 3 individual sub outs so I'm assuming they each have their own dedicated DAC? With REW and the Emotiva mic, how did you go about getting the calibration file for REW? Did you need a mini dsp HD for anything? I have heard you typically need a mini dsp HD to align subwoofers. Thanks again!
post #437 of 473 Old 06-21-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I’️ve practiced with REW now for maybe a little less than a year. First learning how to set it up and take measurements and then learning how to use measurements to align subs. Definitely a learning curve but not too difficult. The AustinJerry guide in the “simplified REW.... Thread” was a good help to get me started. Also great place to post questions. But then on YouTube the Home Theater Guru did a video with a different method for subs that I found worked better for me. The emotiva filters is really my first foray into full range measurements and full range speaker correction so I’️m not confident that I’️ve got it the best it can be. Part of the fun and learning though. I believe the emotiva mic can be used but I’️ve read the umik is more accurate for both REW and Dirac, however assuming the emotiva mic works Its probably more than adequate to get started and learn with.

I had an open tv stand with my marantz and rest of my gear and all the lights distracted me. I actually built doors and side panels on it to cover it up. But eventually I moved to a different solution with the gear in an adjacent area. I think you can dim the front but I don’️t know if you can dim it all or not. Someone else is probably better to answer that.
Thanks for explaining this in detail for me! In order to apply the filters to the XMC-2 will I need the mini dsp for the speakers and dual subwoofers ? I'm assuming REW is really the only way to get the XMC-2 sounding good while we wait for Dirac.

Quote:

Using REW is pretty easy. I did use the Emotiva mic with the calibration file. You can save the filters and import them with a little massaging of the Import data files. And when Dirac gets thru beta testing, then you don’️t have to worry about REW anymore.
Thanks for going in depth about the differences in the DACs! I just really knew if it makes that big of difference with the individual mono DACs versus the mainly stereo ones in the XMC-2. I'm assuming not too big of deal since the center channel, right and left speaker and the subs do most of the work during movies. The ones for the subs are stereo or mono individual DACs? I know the XMC-2 has 3 individual sub outs so I'm assuming they each have their own dedicated DAC? With REW and the Emotiva mic, how did you go about getting the calibration file for REW? Did you need a mini dsp HD for anything? I have heard you typically need a mini dsp HD to align subwoofers. Thanks again!
You don’t have to have the minidsp. Just a microphone and REW. I’m having issues uploading filters to the main subwoofer channel on mine so having the minidsp is very beneficial for me. But I have 4 subs. With 2 subs i don’t think you need the minidsp, and if you don’t have an issue with uploading the subwoofer filters then you definitely don’t need it. Also, Even if the filters won’t upload for you it shouldn’t matter once Dirac is enabled. Only problem is, no one knows when it’s actually coming, but I assume anyone who orders one of these processors is fully aware of that.

post #438 of 473 Old 06-22-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
The calibration file is posted on the Emotiva forums. If you ask there someone will know exactly which thread it’s in.

I understand your paralysis by analysis or whatever they call it but if you are wondering if it’s worth paying the extra $1000 for the RMC1L, the simple answer is no. My system with the XMC2/ATI 4000 amp and Revel F228Be (with Dirac) for 2 channel rivals my buddy’s $40000 system with BAT preamp, Denafrips terminator DAC, ATI 6002 and Revel Salons.

And my 9.2.4 system for movies (with Dirac) really sounds excellent. Even without Dirac (REW) it sounded great.

Without Dirac, my buddy’s 2 channel system was clearly superior but I’m not too sure anymore. I do have a little better room too that helps a bit.

No mini dsp- I’m fine with Dirac. Without Dirac, calibrating the Bass was a bit of a pain and I never had it just right, but it was good enough.

Anyway, I hope I conveyed how good the XMC2 is and I’m hoping Dirac will be released soon to the general public.
post #439 of 473 Old 06-26-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:

If you aren't using a true differential amp all (or any) of the channels there wouldn't be any sound upgrade moving from the XMC-2 to the RMC-1(L) from what I understand (in a conversation with Emotiva).

I really want to buy an XMC-2, but I'm worried about frustrations and long term reliability. Might do it anyway.

post #440 of 473 Old 06-26-2020, 08:02 AM

Dirac still hasn't officially been released for these units, right?

post #441 of 473 Old 06-26-2020, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
I received my XMC-2 this week from the XMC-1 trade in and still no Dirac. If I had to guess, Emotiva will be shipping all of their pallet orders to customers who purchased the RMC-1 over a year ago. I assume customers who just purchased their units will not see Dirac for another 1-2 months. The only thing we know now is that it is coming “very soon.”

Main: 3 x JTR 212RT | Surrounds: 2 x JTR 110HT | Subwoofer: 1 x JTR Captivator 4000ULF-LP | 2 x Crowson Motion Actuators w/ Crown DSi 4000
Amplifier: DAC 5-Cherry | Processor: Monolith HTP-1 | Projector: JVC DLA-NX7 | PJ Screen: SeymourAV 130" W 16:9 Center Stage XD
post #442 of 473 Old 06-26-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
That’s correct. It is currently in beta testing with a number of beta testers who should be running Dirac now. I am one of the beta testers so I can’t say much - but I may be grinning ear to ear 😊.
KJ_Knowles and drh3b like this.
post #443 of 473 Old 06-30-2020, 08:57 AM

Figured I should update since I’️ve solved some of my recent complaints. Hdmi input switching is working well now and I can use the video remains on standby mode also.

Now it did create issues with my secondary monitor which is just used for tinkering and REW. May need it for Dirac also. But when it’️s connected it can create issues, and I have a lot of trouble now getting the hdmi from my computer to sync properly to run REW. So for normal operation I leave the monitor disconnected, and when I need it I disconnect the projector and plug the monitor into the main hdmi. So just a minor inconvenience and should become less and less necessary as I get closer a sound I’️m 100% happy with.

So overall I’️m pretty happy and it’️s relatively stable with hdmi. Very anxious to try Dirac for the first time. I was told last Wednesday that it was a week away, but I don’️t take their updates too seriously. Even still it sounds like it’️s getting very close.

post #444 of 473 Old 06-30-2020, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2352 Post(s)
Liked: 3653
Quote:
Figured I should update since I’️ve solved some of my recent complaints. Hdmi input switching is working well now and I can use the video remains on standby mode also.

Now it did create issues with my secondary monitor which is just used for tinkering and REW. May need it for Dirac also. But when it’️s connected it can create issues, and I have a lot of trouble now getting the hdmi from my computer to sync properly to run REW. So for normal operation I leave the monitor disconnected, and when I need it I disconnect the projector and plug the monitor into the main hdmi. So just a minor inconvenience and should become less and less necessary as I get closer a sound I’️m 100% happy with.

So overall I’️m pretty happy and it’️s relatively stable with hdmi. Very anxious to try Dirac for the first time. I was told last Wednesday that it was a week away, but I don’️t take their updates too seriously. Even still it sounds like it’️s getting very close.
What's up with this post? Kind of hard to decipher through all the code words. Do you need one of those decoder rings ?

Bill
tparm likes this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #445 of 473 Old 06-30-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Quote:
Figured I should update since I’ve solved some of my recent complaints. Hdmi input switching is working well now and I can use the video remains on standby mode also.

Now it did create issues with my secondary monitor which is just used for tinkering and REW. May need it for Dirac also. But when it’s connected it can create issues, and I have a lot of trouble now getting the hdmi from my computer to sync properly to run REW. So for normal operation I leave the monitor disconnected, and when I need it I disconnect the projector and plug the monitor into the main hdmi. So just a minor inconvenience and should become less and less necessary as I get closer a sound I’m 100% happy with.

So overall I’m pretty happy and it’s relatively stable with hdmi. Very anxious to try Dirac for the first time. I was told last Wednesday that it was a week away, but I don’t take their updates too seriously. Even still it sounds like it’s getting very close.
What's up with this post? Kind of hard to decipher through all the code words. Do you need one of those decoder rings [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]?

Bill
No idea what happened there. But it actually came out clear in your quote. So problem solved.

post #446 of 473 Old 07-01-2020, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2352 Post(s)
Liked: 3653
Quote:
No idea what happened there. But it actually came out clear in your quote. So problem solved.
Wasn't clear in my original quote of your post but was when you quoted my post... very strange . It has to be Emotiva's fault as it is a thread discussing one of their products. Beta testing for posting and quoting? Hmmmmmm .

Bill
sdurani, steelman1991 and MUDCAT45 like this.

My SACD collection and HRAudio.net Library, getting larger as my wallet gets smaller ;-).

Emotiva XMC-1, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE (preamp), SX-500s, ST-500, ST-250, Oppo UDP-205, UDP-203, BDP-105, BDP-103, BDP-93, BDP-83, Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Panamax 5100EX, Salk HT2-TLs, Salk 1801b center, Salk 1801TL (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #447 of 473 Old 07-01-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Quote:
Wasn't clear in my original quote of your post but was when you quoted my post... very strange [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]. It has to be Emotiva's fault as it is a thread discussing one of their products. Beta testing for posting and quoting? Hmmmmmm [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG].

Bill
Hahah. Good call. I feel like those guys can’t pour a bowl of cereal without it catching on fire.

post #448 of 473 Old 07-01-2020, 05:51 AM

Dirac

I know everyone will be happy just have Dirac usable, but does anyone know how many Dirac profiles you will be able to store in the XMC-2? And any here using Emotiva's Dirac implementation as a BETA tester? Able to calibrate subs individually?

Last edited by tparm; 07-01-2020 at 06:57 AM. Reason: additional thought
post #449 of 473 Old 07-01-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I know everyone will be happy just have Dirac usable, but does anyone know how many Dirac profiles you will be able to store in the XMC-2? And any here using Emotiva's Dirac implementation as a BETA tester? Able to calibrate subs individually?
There are 6 Dirac slots and yes the subs are calibrated individually. It’s nice when you start using the Harmon curves. The original Dirac curve does seem a little light on bass so the Harmon curve helps a lot.
tparm likes this.
post #450 of 473 Old 07-01-2020, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DTSX Pro Update

Anyone know when the DTSX Pro update will be released? This should hopefully make Neural X awesome as it should be....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page